Hobart 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2025

Post by Laxgunea »

Should've been clearer: not that they weren't there mentally all year, but more as the season progressed. To put it another way: is the problem with the whole system or with the system makes/doesn't make adjustments. No first year arrives checked out and still plays.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:23 pm Should've been clearer: not that they weren't there mentally all year, but more as the season progressed. To put it another way: is the problem with the whole system or with the system makes/doesn't make adjustments. No first year arrives checked out and still plays.
I don’t think many kids check out as a FR. But may have buyers remorse on their choice. But yes they are lost over time. Unlike the general student body which reflect classic fallback school. I had a number of non athlete FR friends who ended up transferring to Cornell, Bowdoin, One or two other upper NESCAC and one to UNC (we called him the wizard because he’d get drunk and do magic tricks). Or and Roger Waters kid bolted back across the Atlantic. Kid came from like Eton and shows up with the look of a rock star-emanciated like in
The Machinist, pale, skinny jeans that just make you look more morose than you are and black leather jacket/. But…he was no rock star. I could care less about competing or “best” but anyone who’s experienced it knows there’s a certain intensity and velocity to it that requires an iron stomach and a hard head. It’s kind of like doing a tough mudder-fng sucks when your underwater in ice water then immediately have to “run” while your lungs contract due to the cold or 10,000 volt electroshock therapy that once threw me through the finish line no joke but you finish and feel something quietly special like being in a fight club.

All that said I think you don’t get many lacrosse kids who aren’t bought into HWS and Geneva going in. And that’s the thing it’s possible a non lacrosse reason is the catalyst (unlikely) but they’re rejecting the colleges overall when they transfer. So the sports experience turned them off to graduating there. With enrollment down and people fighting to get more kids through the door that’s a real thing
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:41 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:23 pm Should've been clearer: not that they weren't there mentally all year, but more as the season progressed. To put it another way: is the problem with the whole system or with the system makes/doesn't make adjustments. No first year arrives checked out and still plays.
I don’t think many kids check out as a FR. But may have buyers remorse on their choice. But yes they are lost over time. Unlike the general student body which reflect classic fallback school. I had a number of non athlete FR friends who ended up transferring to Cornell, Bowdoin, One or two other upper NESCAC and one to UNC (we called him the wizard because he’d get drunk and do magic tricks). Or and Roger Waters kid bolted back across the Atlantic. Kid came from like Eton and shows up with the look of a rock star-emanciated like in
The Machinist, pale, skinny jeans that just make you look more morose than you are and black leather jacket/. But…he was no rock star. I could care less about competing or “best” but anyone who’s experienced it knows there’s a certain intensity and velocity to it that requires an iron stomach and a hard head. It’s kind of like doing a tough mudder-fng sucks when your underwater in ice water then immediately have to “run” while your lungs contract due to the cold or 10,000 volt electroshock therapy that once threw me through the finish line no joke but you finish and feel something quietly special like being in a fight club.

All that said I think you don’t get many lacrosse kids who aren’t bought into HWS and Geneva going in. And that’s the thing it’s possible a non lacrosse reason is the catalyst (unlikely) but they’re rejecting the colleges overall when they transfer. So the sports experience turned them off to graduating there. With enrollment down and people fighting to get more kids through the door that’s a real thing
My read on this is that freshman didnt see a strong team for the next few years AND/OR didnt think they were going to play AND/OR didnt like the coaching style/philosophy/approach. And I’m sorry but I put all of those on the staff
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Bartfromboston wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:04 pm

My read on this is that freshman didnt see a strong team for the next few years AND/OR didnt think they were going to play AND/OR didnt like the coaching style/philosophy/approach. And I’m sorry but I put all of those on the staff

Pretty sure it had mostly to do with how the coaches approach along with playing time. Having 2 starters bolt tells me the most.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I do agree with you that this is ultimately on the coaching staff. I remember a few years ago one of the online publications ran a piece on Raymond building something special in Geneva. I wonder what happened with that. The whole thing has imploded. Has the coaching staff already reached its ceiling and it’s all downhill from here?
I find it remarkable that the team continued to play hard throughout the season. High Point is a good example. There were some rough spots, but I find it hard to fault the effort that was put forth.
PL771990

Post by PL771990 »

I think the loss of Considine is grossly underappreciated on here. He was not only the best offensive player by a mile (a 2-way player as well), but he was the glue to the chemistry of a very productive offense. Bach, Delano and Rosa all fed off of his dynamic play. The positive impact of his return will be immediate. Hobart scored about 3.5 fewer goals per game this year compared to last year. I believe the loss of John Jude is one huge reason for that. When he was lost, other teams were able to apply more pressure to the other guys and that caused problems for us. Considine's 40% shooting efficiency will definitely help. The kid who is leaving shot in the mid-20%'s.
Depth is always an issue, and that isn't always due to lack of guys who are ready on the bench. There are some studs looking for their shot. Also, if they are lucky enough to get a 5th year or two to return (injury redshirt), I think we might all be impressed by the turnaround. We have to be better on GB's.
BTW, Tim Evnin is NOT leaving.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

PL771990 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:10 pm I think the loss of Considine is grossly underappreciated on here. He was not only the best offensive player by a mile (a 2-way player as well), but he was the glue to the chemistry of a very productive offense. Bach, Delano and Rosa all fed off of his dynamic play. The positive impact of his return will be immediate. Hobart scored about 3.5 fewer goals per game this year compared to last year. I believe the loss of John Jude is one huge reason for that. When he was lost, other teams were able to apply more pressure to the other guys and that caused problems for us. Considine's 40% shooting efficiency will definitely help. The kid who is leaving shot in the mid-20%'s.
Depth is always an issue, and that isn't always due to lack of guys who are ready on the bench. There are some studs looking for their shot. Also, if they are lucky enough to get a 5th year or two to return (injury redshirt), I think we might all be impressed by the turnaround. We have to be better on GB's.
Thanks for the comment on Evnin - good to hear. To be fair, the entire team shot under 25%. If there were studs looking for their shot, they certainly didnt show us alums any idea who that might be. Maybe that is a learning from this year because it felt like we just kept waiting patiently to see some of the younger talent only to see the same people not produce to the level we had hoped. But that is 2024 and on to 2025 - I certainly hope to see the freshman ready to play and getting a chance next year. Hopefully the fear of playing a bigger bench was a covid/5th year/loyalty carryover thing.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

John Jude will be a great shot in the arm, for sure. With regard to freshman playing next year, if more than 2-3 are playing then we’re in trouble. Hobart doesn’t get the Millon, Goldsteins or Spillinas… Few good teams play more than a couple freshman on their top 10. I’m very mixed in the whole transfer situation, but when a team is 4-9 and you’re a starter or reserve, I don’t see a lot of better teams being that interested. With over 1000 in the portal and teams bringing in freshman recruits, how many spots are there??
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

FMUBart wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:39 pm John Jude will be a great shot in the arm, for sure. With regard to freshman playing next year, if more than 2-3 are playing then we’re in trouble. Hobart doesn’t get the Millon, Goldsteins or Spillinas… Few good teams play more than a couple freshman on their top 10. I’m very mixed in the whole transfer situation, but when a team is 4-9 and you’re a starter or reserve, I don’t see a lot of better teams being that interested. With over 1000 in the portal and teams bringing in freshman recruits, how many spots are there??
That makes sense. So then why leave? Is the environment really that bad to risk it?
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

FMUBart wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:39 pm John Jude will be a great shot in the arm, for sure. With regard to freshman playing next year, if more than 2-3 are playing then we’re in trouble. Hobart doesn’t get the Millon, Goldsteins or Spillinas… Few good teams play more than a couple freshman on their top 10. I’m very mixed in the whole transfer situation, but when a team is 4-9 and you’re a starter or reserve, I don’t see a lot of better teams being that interested. With over 1000 in the portal and teams bringing in freshman recruits, how many spots are there??
I just did a quick search and sports recruits says 1703 open positions across all three divisions. Sounds like there is demand the majority of the portal maybe not at same division.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Bartfromboston wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:20 pm
I just did a quick search and sports recruits says 1703 open positions across all three divisions. Sounds like there is demand the majority of the portal maybe not at same division.
BfB, is that 1703 players are in the portal?
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

I dont know how to look at the portal counts. I did a search for targeted positions for 2024 from colleges and some website came up called sports recruits and it lists 1703 listed needs for colleges. But i cant get any further than that - so not a super credible comment so probably should have caveated that.

My point was just that there are lots of colleges highlighting needs and it kind of makes sense because kids go to portal and then schools need to backfill some, probably many of those losses unless they plan to take walk-ons or run a smaller roster.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’ve been clear I think the experiment is over and only dilutive/destructive to not make a change at this point in the program and institution. He’s not outperformed prior fired coaches in any way and had more time and kids just are leaving unhappy. We have a decade of dick Hersh alums who are still mad at the college and don’t give money which hurts rankings etc. we don’t need more or that which isn’t to say make everyone happy but having been around this and other institutions and programs this is beyond reasonable.

But you have to hold admin, BOT and leadership accountable. They need to force this change.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:52 pm

I do agree with you that this is ultimately on the coaching staff. I remember a few years ago one of the online publications ran a piece on Raymond building something special in Geneva. I wonder what happened with that. The whole thing has imploded. Has the coaching staff already reached its ceiling and it’s all downhill from here?
I find it remarkable that the team continued to play hard throughout the season. High Point is a good example. There were some rough spots, but I find it hard to fault the effort that was put forth.
Some games. We got jumped by Albany and Gate unprepared for the start and fight was..harder to locate gains Cornell and Richmond.

Even if after the UMass disaster, going to excellent but the yr old Richmond and being down 14-2 at half..to me that’s the end of all of this.
That he couldn’t get them to fight harder that first half after the letdown the prior week or even draw a bunch of flags and a couple unreleasables if getting a** pounded like that, is a stunning failure of the staff. I mean at that stage you throw Campbell and Belle Walker in there with the mandate to get the ball no matter what happens and if they draw blood from
The opponent so be it. Noel McGuinness would’ve been perfect for that.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PL771990 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:10 pm I think the loss of Considine is grossly underappreciated on here. He was not only the best offensive player by a mile (a 2-way player as well), but he was the glue to the chemistry of a very productive offense. Bach, Delano and Rosa all fed off of his dynamic play. The positive impact of his return will be immediate. Hobart scored about 3.5 fewer goals per game this year compared to last year. I believe the loss of John Jude is one huge reason for that. When he was lost, other teams were able to apply more pressure to the other guys and that caused problems for us. Considine's 40% shooting efficiency will definitely help. The kid who is leaving shot in the mid-20%'s.
Matt Turner has 3gbs last year…
See Martin, Malcolm
Hebrewhammer

Post by Hebrewhammer »

Bunch of fake fans complaining about nonsense you know nothing about. Suck one
Hebrewhammer

Post by Hebrewhammer »

I hope everyone talking shi sprains both their ankles ASAP
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Not…even….close to being invited to the playas haters award ceremony.

You’re half staff, needs more work.

Here’s a tutorial.

https://youtu.be/fKIwj1TQmFs?si=vCvQ-YmDqcbHTUzn
See Martin, Malcolm
Hebrewhammer

Post by Hebrewhammer »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:12 pm Not…even….close to being invited to the playas haters award ceremony.

Here’s a tutorial.

Chappelle goated but if you can’t run a 4.3 40 don’t talk to me
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hebrewhammer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:10 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:12 pm Not…even….close to being invited to the playas haters award ceremony.

Here’s a tutorial.

Chappelle goated but if you can’t run a 4.3 40 don’t talk to me
4.7 area but the tech was trash in the 90s. Same with body fat tests.

But let’s be real you haven’t even dreamed of a 4.3 40 when you envision your happy place. More material that’s not getting you an invite. Sorry, Mgt
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”