Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NutmegCrunch wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:04 am
lacrossemwj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:35 pm
BigRedChant wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:08 pm I am pretty confident that the great majority of girls that play high level lacrosse can get into almost all the schools that play mid to high level lacrosse on their own.

Lacrosse recruiting is more about what the coach is looking for/feeling … and some of these coaches are entirely unpredictable
Disagree about these kids getting in on their own. The college admissions landscape is the wild wild west these days. Of the top 25 lacrosse schools, students are not getting into Boston College, Northwestern, UVA OOS, Florida OOS, Michigan OOS, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Princeton, Stanford, USC, or Harvard these days without a serious hook.
Parents of high schoolers should read the book, "Who Gets In and Why: A Year Inside College Admissions" by Jeffrey Selingo. It was extremely enlightening about the current college admissions landscape and how/why the highly selective schools got that way. Students with very solid test scores and grades in challenging classes (AP, IB, etc.) will still need a "hook" in admissions for those schools - and when they do get in, they often find that there isn't any financial aid on offer.

That caliber of student will often get substantial merit aid (and potentially athletic aid) at a less-selective institution that may not offer Mom and Dad a prestigious decal to slap on the back of the family car, but will still provide an excellent undergraduate education.
I hear this trope frequently that "when they do get in, they often find that there isn't any financial aid on offer."

What I don't understand is how a parent or student who is at all concerned about financial aid at say an Ivy isn't well informed about the financial aid formula their family will be put through after acceptance. The player is typically informed far in advance of the formal admissions acceptance, which is the ED process timing, that they have a slot, the "hook" necessary to be accepted. Typically, the coach has already reviewed the student's credentials with Admission. Indeed, that's important to understand as it adds considerable confidence to the likelihood.

So, the student-athlete, with such "hook", is aware of the likelihood of admissions far in advance. Not a 100% commitment, but close.

And this provides many months of opportunity to investigate pretty darn well what to expect with the need-based financial aid process, based on income and assets of the family, number of siblings, etc. Indeed, this should have already been investigated prior to even pursuing Ivy attention, much less accepting that 'slot'.

This is actually pretty darn transparent, there are few significant surprises for any student applying, athlete or not, if they've done their homework. It's accurate that the application for financial aid is made independently of admission and only post admission, but the criteria and formula are publicly available. Just don't lean on the Ivy coach for specific answers as they are forbidden to make any such commitments.

I can't speak to non-Ivy financial aid at schools that have more discretionary processes that may or may not be related to athletic merit or academic merit, but aren't most such available to know prior to actual admission?

None of the above means that a more selective school is necessarily the best answer short term cost-wise for any given student, much less that there aren't multiple paths to life success, however that is defined. Certainly the motivations and drive of the student are by far the most important determinations of traditional 'success' measures, not the school.

But let's not traffic in the the notion that the very most selective schools aren't highly supportive financially based on actual need nor that there are major surprises for those who have done their homework.

If a student-athlete does not have a parental situation that understands these processes, which indeed can happen with some families, hopefully the student-athlete will seek counsel from school counselors or the coach will detect that situation and direct them to the Financial Aid office for direct discussion. That sort of situation is highly likely to be full or close to full ride.

But for the middle class family where financial aid is still relevant but parental involvement is available, come on parents, do your homework. It's not that hard.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:08 am
NutmegCrunch wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:04 am
lacrossemwj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:35 pm
BigRedChant wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:08 pm I am pretty confident that the great majority of girls that play high level lacrosse can get into almost all the schools that play mid to high level lacrosse on their own.

Lacrosse recruiting is more about what the coach is looking for/feeling … and some of these coaches are entirely unpredictable
Disagree about these kids getting in on their own. The college admissions landscape is the wild wild west these days. Of the top 25 lacrosse schools, students are not getting into Boston College, Northwestern, UVA OOS, Florida OOS, Michigan OOS, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Princeton, Stanford, USC, or Harvard these days without a serious hook.
Parents of high schoolers should read the book, "Who Gets In and Why: A Year Inside College Admissions" by Jeffrey Selingo. It was extremely enlightening about the current college admissions landscape and how/why the highly selective schools got that way. Students with very solid test scores and grades in challenging classes (AP, IB, etc.) will still need a "hook" in admissions for those schools - and when they do get in, they often find that there isn't any financial aid on offer.

That caliber of student will often get substantial merit aid (and potentially athletic aid) at a less-selective institution that may not offer Mom and Dad a prestigious decal to slap on the back of the family car, but will still provide an excellent undergraduate education.
I hear this trope frequently that "when they do get in, they often find that there isn't any financial aid on offer."

What I don't understand is how a parent or student who is at all concerned about financial aid at say an Ivy isn't well informed about the financial aid formula their family will be put through after acceptance. The player is typically informed far in advance of the formal admissions acceptance, which is the ED process timing, that they have a slot, the "hook" necessary to be accepted. Typically, the coach has already reviewed the student's credentials with Admission. Indeed, that's important to understand as it adds considerable confidence to the likelihood.

So, the student-athlete, with such "hook", is aware of the likelihood of admissions far in advance. Not a 100% commitment, but close.

And this provides many months of opportunity to investigate pretty darn well what to expect with the need-based financial aid process, based on income and assets of the family, number of siblings, etc. Indeed, this should have already been investigated prior to even pursuing Ivy attention, much less accepting that 'slot'.

This is actually pretty darn transparent, there are few significant surprises for any student applying, athlete or not, if they've done their homework. It's accurate that the application for financial aid is made independently of admission and only post admission, but the criteria and formula are publicly available. Just don't lean on the Ivy coach for specific answers as they are forbidden to make any such commitments.

I can't speak to non-Ivy financial aid at schools that have more discretionary processes that may or may not be related to athletic merit or academic merit, but aren't most such available to know prior to actual admission?

None of the above means that a more selective school is necessarily the best answer short term cost-wise for any given student, much less that there aren't multiple paths to life success, however that is defined. Certainly the motivations and drive of the student are by far the most important determinations of traditional 'success' measures, not the school.

But let's not traffic in the the notion that the very most selective schools aren't highly supportive financially based on actual need nor that there are major surprises for those who have done their homework.

If a student-athlete does not have a parental situation that understands these processes, which indeed can happen with some families, hopefully the student-athlete will seek counsel from school counselors or the coach will detect that situation and direct them to the Financial Aid office for direct discussion. That sort of situation is highly likely to be full or close to full ride.

But for the middle class family where financial aid is still relevant but parental involvement is available, come on parents, do your homework. It's not that hard.
Agree 100%. At the Ivies and other top academic schools, the net price calculators on their websites are pretty darn accurate and give you a pretty close estimate of what you can expect to receive. You will notice at those schools, the information required for the calculator is much more extensive than some other schools. In many cases, the calculator will underestimate your aid so that you aren't caught off guard when the actual package is received.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:54 pm Furman fired up their programs by hiring Richie Meade and Rachel. They even held a press conference at the final four. So much promise.

Here we are 10-12 years later with a cancelled men’s lacrosse program and Gail Wallach leading the women’s program. Yikes.
More context on why she's a bad hire? I don't know a thing about her...
Laxdadfor2

Post by Laxdadfor2 »

As far as the Furman hire, there is no context to why she is a bad hire. Started 2 program in the last 8 years. Went 74-22 at UAH over 6 seasons (including the 7 game Covid season) and went 24-11 in 2 seasons at Anderson (SC). This year they finished in a 3 way tie for the regular season SAC championship and their 3 losses were by a combined 9 goals if my math is correct. Those are some pretty solid numbers.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Laxdadfor2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:08 am As far as the Furman hire, there is no context to why she is a bad hire. Started 2 program in the last 8 years. Went 74-22 at UAH over 6 seasons (including the 7 game Covid season) and went 24-11 in 2 seasons at Anderson (SC). This year they finished in a 3 way tie for the regular season SAC championship and their 3 losses were by a combined 9 goals if my math is correct. Those are some pretty solid numbers.
It's not about her numbers, it more about Furman already having a solid coach (ASUN COY Rachel Shuck Whitten) and the athletic department deciding they do not want to invest in women's lacrosse to get them across the line and win the conference. This is now their third coach in 3-4 years when they could have found the success the needed with the coach that left for better support.

I wish her luck, but I don't think she will have much on her side since the school doesn't support WLax...
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:06 pm
Laxdadfor2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:08 am As far as the Furman hire, there is no context to why she is a bad hire. Started 2 program in the last 8 years. Went 74-22 at UAH over 6 seasons (including the 7 game Covid season) and went 24-11 in 2 seasons at Anderson (SC). This year they finished in a 3 way tie for the regular season SAC championship and their 3 losses were by a combined 9 goals if my math is correct. Those are some pretty solid numbers.
It's not about her numbers, it more about Furman already having a solid coach (ASUN COY Rachel Shuck Whitten) and the athletic department deciding they do not want to invest in women's lacrosse to get them across the line and win the conference. This is now their third coach in 3-4 years when they could have found the success the needed with the coach that left for better support.

I wish her luck, but I don't think she will have much on her side since the school doesn't support WLax...
I hear you and get all that, but LaxPundit is specifically calling out Wallach and eluding to her being a bad hire. It appears, at least on paper, that maybe she's a decent coach. I'm not saying it's an environment that she'll easily be successful in, but a little context on why she is specifically being called out would be nice.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

spidey44 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:41 pm

I hear you and get all that, but LaxPundit is specifically calling out Wallach and eluding to her being a bad hire. It appears, at least on paper, that maybe she's a decent coach. I'm not saying it's an environment that she'll easily be successful in, but a little context on why she is specifically being called out would be nice.
I am not going to go into detail providing more context for my opinion (an opinion which is based on personal experience, not conjecture). One of the folks here (questioning my assessment) has one post in their user history….and it’s the post defending Coach Wallach. We can all deduce the genesis of that defense. Given that, I will temper my critique and leave it at what I’ve said already. I would, however, remind that poster Coach Wallach is now in a more high profile position. Those positions come with publicity and open the door for critiques from observers.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Not sure if anyone here ever looks at that 2adays site, and I do understand the pitfalls of a site like that, but I took a peek today and what the heck is going on at Villanova? 13 posts about Jill Batcheller in the last 30 days, with three of those five star glowing reviews and 10 of them one star just blistering reviews.
Oldfashion32

Post by Oldfashion32 »

Just checked out the 2aday website. I was surprised to read the negative reviews about Kristin Carr at Towson. Granted, it might just be a unhappy recent graduate, but she came in highly touted.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Oldfashion32 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:07 pm Just checked out the 2aday website. I was surprised to read the negative reviews about Kristin Carr at Towson. Granted, it might just be a unhappy recent graduate, but she came in highly touted.
I feel like with anything, most of the reviews that people feel the need to write about, are those with bad experiences. With so few "reviews" I wouldn't put much stock in those. No coach is going to be everyone's cup of tea.
Timtebow

Post by Timtebow »

Eh. I trust the wisdom of the crowds when it comes to coach ratings or any ratings site. Sure there are some movies I like with bad rotten tomatoes ratings but for the most part, it’s on target. If overwhelmingly more people take time to say negative things about a coach, there is very likely a problem. Coaches need to built trust and respect in order to coach their teams well. Most bad ratings come because coaches break the trust or lose respect from the team.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:42 am Not sure if anyone here ever looks at that 2adays site, and I do understand the pitfalls of a site like that, but I took a peek today and what the heck is going on at Villanova? 13 posts about Jill Batcheller in the last 30 days, with three of those five star glowing reviews and 10 of them one star just blistering reviews.
I wonder if the negative reviews are coming from
the older classes that were recruited by the previous coach. I know some of the freshmen (and sophomores that Jill originally recruited to Drexel) that are all quite happy.
Hello

Post by Hello »

People with a grudge look for ways to state their case. People who are happy are much less likely to do so.
Timtebow

Post by Timtebow »

Hello wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm People with a grudge look for ways to state their case. People who are happy are much less likely to do so.
If a coach has a loyal following, they will come to that coaches defense. Overwhelmingly negative rating are more likely than not be he accurate, especially when the themes are consistent.
gbswingames

Post by gbswingames »

Oldfashion32 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:07 pm Just checked out the 2aday website. I was surprised to read the negative reviews about Kristin Carr at Towson. Granted, it might just be a unhappy recent graduate, but she came in highly touted.
Does Towson make a change? What other teams could make a change? What teams should make a change?
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

Towson? This was her first year there? Little early for talk of change, no?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

And that is kind of what Laxdadfor2 is saying : is Coach Wallach a "bad hire" or is she in a situation where the school has a program, but doesn't care about it? Or is it both? Richie Meade isn't there anymore(nor is the program) because it seems the school wasn't that serious about the program.
gbswingames

Post by gbswingames »

forthelaxofit wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:50 am Towson? This was her first year there? Little early for talk of change, no?
Indeed. She should have a long leash I would think. Was just surprised from previous post regarding the negative comments. In general, curious as to how coaching landscape unfolds. Does Spallina stay at SB? Or does he look to move to the men's side like Gait did? Potential movement in the B1G and ACC? Been about a year since UVA made the change. Anyone's seat really hot?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

anyone have any insight on what is going on at Xavier?

Heard from my daughter who is a freshman at another school (but had a club teammate at Xavier) that more than half the Xavier team entered the portal last week. Assume its a coaching issue..
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

gbswingames wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:58 pm
forthelaxofit wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:50 am Towson? This was her first year there? Little early for talk of change, no?
Indeed. She should have a long leash I would think. Was just surprised from previous post regarding the negative comments. In general, curious as to how coaching landscape unfolds. Does Spallina stay at SB? Or does he look to move to the men's side like Gait did? Potential movement in the B1G and ACC? Been about a year since UVA made the change. Anyone's seat really hot?
Interesting in Joe Spallina press conference post game he alluded to maybe not coaching next year....all about family - watching his kids etc. Might have been "in the moment" feeling raw about game. He admitted he prob should not have said anything. This was his big year with his SB team.

After next year 4 of his kids will be playing at Cuse. It will be interesting going forward where he ends up.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”