NCAA Tournament 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:22 pm I've seen her take the draw though, right?
I would have put her right next to Mashewske
so she could harass her immediately when she
got the ball.
Riskier this year, though, right? Mashewske draws to self, takes possession; anything but a clean takeaway is a Green Card. Surprised they didn't try it once or twice, but the fact that the draw-taker controls inside the 30s makes it risky this year.

Nice methodical win for Syracuse today. Tyrrell, Ward and Adamson are just so composed. Was Rowley injured? Is that why Britton was in there? She had a very nice game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:37 pm
DMac wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:22 pm I've seen her take the draw though, right?
I would have put her right next to Mashewske
so she could harass her immediately when she
got the ball.
Riskier this year, though, right? Mashewske draws to self, takes possession; anything but a clean takeaway is a Green Card. Surprised they didn't try it once or twice, but the fact that the draw-taker controls inside the 30s makes it risky this year.

Nice methodical win for Syracuse today. Tyrrell, Ward and Adamson are just so composed. Was Rowley injured? Is that why Britton was in there? She had a very nice game.
Yup, did think about that too but they needed to try something.
Don't know about Rowley....it's good to have her in the game though.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:38 pm And then there were eight; Quarters:

BC v. Michigan -- slugfest ahead. I think BC will win this, but Michigan is a stout, tough, disciplined team, evidenced by that comeback today.

Syracuse v. Yale -- two Ivies in the Quarters? Wow. Gotta say, Yale played a nice game against a very tough, well-coached JHU. But I think game this is the end of the line for Eli.

Northwestern v. Penn -- Northwestern. 'Nuff said.

Florida v. Maryland -- Florida, and I think it is possible that they win handily. Playing loose and smart so far. Nice effort by the Terps today, but I think Gainesville State proceeds to MDW.
I think Michigan is going to give BC a headache

I would love Yale to advance, but agree.

Northwestern without a doubt

After watching MD today, and after reading on here all well how JMU was going to beat MD, I’m saying MD for the win.
Team looked stellar from defense to offense. They didn’t just beat JMU, they destroyed them.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Thursday schedule
Florida at Maryland, 12 p.m.
Yale at Syracuse, 2:30 p.m.
Michigan at BC, 5 p.m.
Penn at NW, 7:30 p.m.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

jff97 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:51 pm Thursday schedule
Florida at Maryland, 12 p.m.
Yale at Syracuse, 2:30 p.m.
Michigan at BC, 5 p.m.
Penn at NW, 7:30 p.m.
jeez tough to watch first 2 games...
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Madlax59 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:21 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:37 pm Same old Notre Dame, huh? A couple of big wins during the regular season and then nothing in the post season.
Could say the same about Loyola
Every year…..same ole…
The only difference is Loyola doesn't tell you how great they are every preseason.

Add Stony Brook to the postseason underachievers as well.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Huh? Neither does Notre Dame..

Stony Brook lost to the higher seed and was not a favorite in this game. How is that underachieving?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxfan22 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:40 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:24 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:39 pm https://www.instagram.com/reel/C61K6zFr ... xnMmdoZDln

Wow just wow. I didn’t notice this when it happened and I thought the offensive foul was called on a bad screen or something.

Sad it didn’t get called a card even as a UNC fan, but also players make mistakes but her frustration losing in what could’ve been her last collegiate game shouldn’t have led to that.
That is so Busch league. Why do we let things like that slide? Where are her teammates coming to her defense? Where is the apology from Levy postgame? IMO, gender stereotypes feed into why stuff like this is allowed/accepted/gets brushed under the rug in the women’s game. I don’t know, maybe I am wrong. But watching that just gets me fired up.
That’s inexcusable and there needs to be a response by unc or the ncaa. I don’t know what they can do but that’s ridiculous. Edit: looks like she has another year of eligibility. She needs a lengthy suspension. Not a 1 gamer against furman. Like 5 games.
It would be one thing if this player didn't have a history of this kind of stuff going all the way back to high school. Saw her get red carded for a cross check to the back of a player's neck behind the play in a Under Armour Underclass game when she was a rising senior at BI. The girl she hit is now a teammate at UNC and Levy was on the sideline when it happened. She also took a cheap shot at my daughter in a HS game as the ball was going up to the other end out of frustration that no one saw, but my daughter was bleeding all over the place.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:38 am Huh? Neither does Notre Dame..

Stony Brook lost to the higher seed and was not a favorite in this game. How is that underachieving?
Because every year we hear Spallina tell us how his team doesn't get any respect and will raise some eyebrows, and most years his team is bounced in the 1st or 2nd round.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:38 am Huh? Neither does Notre Dame..

Notre Dame allows (I'll put it that way) all kinds of preseason hype about their program and how they are a threat to win it all. Halfpenny herself got caught up in it this past preseason.
DMac

Post by DMac »

SB went 18-3, made it to the second round of the tourney.
They did raise some eyebrows. Not gonna win the NC, which
of course, is underachieving in the two-bit critic's mind.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:04 am SB went 18-3, made it to the second round of the tourney.
They did raise some eyebrows. Not gonna win the NC, which
of course, is underachieving in the two-bit critic's mind.
Sure is. If you can't deliver the goods then don't put up the signs advertising them.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

hmmm wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:53 am
laxfan22 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:40 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:24 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:39 pm https://www.instagram.com/reel/C61K6zFr ... xnMmdoZDln

Wow just wow. I didn’t notice this when it happened and I thought the offensive foul was called on a bad screen or something.

Sad it didn’t get called a card even as a UNC fan, but also players make mistakes but her frustration losing in what could’ve been her last collegiate game shouldn’t have led to that.
That is so Busch league. Why do we let things like that slide? Where are her teammates coming to her defense? Where is the apology from Levy postgame? IMO, gender stereotypes feed into why stuff like this is allowed/accepted/gets brushed under the rug in the women’s game. I don’t know, maybe I am wrong. But watching that just gets me fired up.
That’s inexcusable and there needs to be a response by unc or the ncaa. I don’t know what they can do but that’s ridiculous. Edit: looks like she has another year of eligibility. She needs a lengthy suspension. Not a 1 gamer against furman. Like 5 games.
It would be one thing if this player didn't have a history of this kind of stuff going all the way back to high school. Saw her get red carded for a cross check to the back of a player's neck behind the play in a Under Armour Underclass game when she was a rising senior at BI. The girl she hit is now a teammate at UNC and Levy was on the sideline when it happened. She also took a cheap shot at my daughter in a HS game as the ball was going up to the other end out of frustration that no one saw, but my daughter was bleeding all over the place.
Ugh. But really even if she never had a history of this, this is criminal - not in the colloquial way but actual assault. Let’s see Levy - the self proclaimed arbiter of safety - respond.
OuttaNowhereWregget

The red card is sufficient. Sitting out the rest of the game and the next game is punishment enough. I agree there should be postgame reviews on such plays with punishment meted out retroactively. But would the NCAA shell out the money to facilitate that? Highly doubtful to no frickin way.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I think Joe is fighting an uphill battle at Stonybrook. With a growth of the game and the expansion of programs at BCS level schools, it’s becoming harder and harder for schools like Stonybrook to be national championship contenders. Of course, he wants to win a national championship, but they’re pretty much close to or at their ceiling Now given the landscape of the rest of division one

With all that said, though, I will agree that his teams accommodations at Syracuse yesterday were atrocious. How on earth can you call that in NCAA tournament worthy locker room set up? I don’t care if you stuck Stoneybrook or UNC in there. His gripe is still fair. And I also agree with him that that wouldn’t happen on the men’s side.

Sorry, voice text.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:36 am I think Joe is fighting an uphill battle at Stonybrook. With a growth of the game and the expansion of programs at BCS level schools, it’s becoming harder and harder for schools like Stonybrook to be national championship contenders. Of course, he wants to win a national championship, but they’re pretty much close to or at their ceiling Now given the landscape of the rest of division one

With all that said, though, I will agree that his teams accommodations at Syracuse yesterday were atrocious. How on earth can you call that in NCAA tournament worthy locker room set up? I don’t care if you stuck Stoneybrook or UNC in there. His gripe is still fair. And I also agree with him that that wouldn’t happen on the men’s side.

Sorry, voice text.
What was the gripe about locker rooms at Syracuse? Because all the games were on at once (eyeroll), I was jumping from game to game and didn't see.

Stony Brook is a top 25, R1 university near nice beaches and near NYC, so it's limit seems to be that none of the SUNYs are that attractive to folks from out of state. Is that why it won't be a top contender?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

lacrossemwj wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:43 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:36 am I think Joe is fighting an uphill battle at Stonybrook. With a growth of the game and the expansion of programs at BCS level schools, it’s becoming harder and harder for schools like Stonybrook to be national championship contenders. Of course, he wants to win a national championship, but they’re pretty much close to or at their ceiling Now given the landscape of the rest of division one

Sorry, voice text.
What was the gripe about locker rooms at Syracuse? Because all the games were on at once (eyeroll), I was jumping from game to game and didn't see.

Stony Brook is a top 25, R1 university near nice beaches and near NYC, so it's limit seems to be that none of the SUNYs are that attractive to folks from out of state. Is that why it won't be a top contender?
Due to renovations in the building, SB was setup in a tent outside. Was mostly just chewed up grass and dirt and the girls had to kick all the mud out of their cleats on the sidewalk when they left the tent to go to the field. Pretty embarrassing for the NCAA for sure.
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:35 am The red card is sufficient. Sitting out the rest of the game and the next game is punishment enough. I agree there should be postgame reviews on such plays with punishment meted out retroactively. But would the NCAA shell out the money to facilitate that? Highly doubtful to no frickin way.
No, it's not enough. Using your stick as a weapon is strictly verboten. She'd have to be mighty remorseful and have a real good explanation as to why she used her stick as a weapon with the intent to injure another player to remain on my team. You're too much of a liability to your team, and too dangerous a person to be on the field if you lose control and attack another player like that. Sitting out one game is a slap on the wrist for such an egregious offense.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:05 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:35 am The red card is sufficient. Sitting out the rest of the game and the next game is punishment enough. I agree there should be postgame reviews on such plays with punishment meted out retroactively. But would the NCAA shell out the money to facilitate that? Highly doubtful to no frickin way.
No, it's not enough. Using your stick as a weapon is strictly verboten. She'd have to be mighty remorseful and have a real good explanation as to why she used her stick as a weapon with the intent to injure another player to remain on my team. You're too much of a liability to your team, and too dangerous a person to be on the field if you lose control and attack another player like that. Sitting out one game is a slap on the wrist for such an egregious offense.
I don't know what to tell ya. Ain't how this twenty five cents critic sees it.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Understandable inasmuch as you've never been on a field with out of control sticks swinging around you.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”