Georgetown
51%
Penn State
49%

Total votes: 35

gymman1031

Re: #8 Georgetown vs Penn State Sunday @ 2:30

Post by gymman1031 »

Shocking. I thought Penn State would have full energy for sixty minutes after last year's heartbreaking ending and the way they recently played against Michigan.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:50 pm Shocking. I thought Penn State would have full energy for sixty minutes after last year's heartbreaking ending and the way they recently played against Michigan.
I mean goodness, the home team in the playoffs, the only team to take down the #1 team in the country was able to somehow find a way. ;)
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:14 am Let’s go

Chris Cotter & Paul Carcaterra are calling this game
Chris Cotter might as well not have a first name as far as Paul Carcaterra is concerned. Paul, stop trying to make “Cotter” happen. It’s not going to happen.

(And Chris thinks Dylan Hess and Jack Leary are the same person.)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Missed the game but per IL stats neither Kade Goldberg nor Joe Cesare played at all. Know they aren't stars but figure in the playoffs both will be needed to run some time no?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Hoya wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:56 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:50 pm Shocking. I thought Penn State would have full energy for sixty minutes after last year's heartbreaking ending and the way they recently played against Michigan.
I mean goodness, the home team in the playoffs, the only team to take down the #1 team in the country was able to somehow find a way. ;)
Well, good for you guys! Excellent play from the moment you were down by five on. Best of luck!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hoya wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:56 pm
And from a conference they belive is lesser...
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

Not surprised by this result whatsoever. Penn State came out firing, but people need to realize that Georgetown is built different this year. So much for Penn State being better at every position and winning by five goals I guess?

Not really interested in grave dancing, but very typical for Georgetown to get zero love despite being a legitimate title contender.
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

DMV_Guy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:05 pm Not surprised by this result whatsoever. Penn State came out firing, but people need to realize that Georgetown is built different this year. So much for Penn State being better at every position and winning by five goals I guess?

Not really interested in grave dancing, but very typical for Georgetown to get zero love despite being a legitimate title contender.
Who said PSU was better at every position and should win by 5 goals?
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:20 pm
DMV_Guy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:05 pm Not surprised by this result whatsoever. Penn State came out firing, but people need to realize that Georgetown is built different this year. So much for Penn State being better at every position and winning by five goals I guess?

Molo wrote

I can’t believe Penn State is as bad as they looked against Michigan, and I think Georgetown is about as good as they looked against Villanova. If the good Penn Stste shows up, they should win by something like 16-11.

And Wheels wrote

But PSU everywhere else is better than Georgetown, and in some areas, heads and shoulders better. PSU's is 7th in offense, 5th in defense, and 3rd in goalkeeping. Georgetown is 9th in offense, 18th in defense, and 22nd in goalkeeping. (all opponent adjusted...thanks LaxRef!)

I'll be watching the midfield match ups. Georgetown's offensive midfield has some really good players, but PSU (IMO) has the best defensive midfield in the nation (apologies to the ESPN crew's favorite in Durham). The thing about PSU's rope unit is that they can and will push in transition. Haus is so good for Penn State, but he's not the only one you have to worry about. Sweeney and Scarfi are very good LSMs. Conversely, Georgetown has a very good rope unit, too. The thing about PSU's midfield is they complement each other. Costin is athletic and can get down the alleys. Traynor can shoot and finds every hole in a defense. Morin is a QB up top. They just play so well together and play so well off of their attack unit. Then the 2nd unit comes in, and you get a bunch of invert guys with some shooters who keep the pressure on all game.

PSU's close defense is better than Georgetown's attack unit. If PSU slides to support any of those match-ups, I'll probably throw things at my TV.

And then there's Fracyon. He's the best goalie in the nation. I don't think the Michigan game will affect him one bit. Big, athletic, baits shooters, the kick saves, kinda unorthodox.

Too much experience on PSU. The parts fit so well together. It's whether or not Ball can dominate possession so much that Georgetown can get 40+ shots up. That's the way to get to Fracyon. He's going to get his saves, so you have to shoot a lot to give yourself a chance. Playing slow down on offense and grinding possessions plays into his hands.

I have a lot of respect for Penn State and credit to them on a great season. I just think Georgetown gets very little credit for what they’ve been able to accomplish this year.
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Oh, you're quoting message board posters' opinions. I mean, take the W.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:48 pm Oh, you're quoting message board posters' opinions. I mean, take the W.
Yeah - a very good W for Warne and team - take it and run with it.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

DMV_Guy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:30 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:20 pm

Molo wrote

I can’t believe Penn State is as bad as they looked against Michigan, and I think Georgetown is about as good as they looked against Villanova. If the good Penn Stste shows up, they should win by something like 16-11.

And Wheels wrote

But PSU everywhere else is better than Georgetown, and in some areas, heads and shoulders better. PSU's is 7th in offense, 5th in defense, and 3rd in goalkeeping. Georgetown is 9th in offense, 18th in defense, and 22nd in goalkeeping. (all opponent adjusted...thanks LaxRef!)

I'll be watching the midfield match ups. Georgetown's offensive midfield has some really good players, but PSU (IMO) has the best defensive midfield in the nation (apologies to the ESPN crew's favorite in Durham). The thing about PSU's rope unit is that they can and will push in transition. Haus is so good for Penn State, but he's not the only one you have to worry about. Sweeney and Scarfi are very good LSMs. Conversely, Georgetown has a very good rope unit, too. The thing about PSU's midfield is they complement each other. Costin is athletic and can get down the alleys. Traynor can shoot and finds every hole in a defense. Morin is a QB up top. They just play so well together and play so well off of their attack unit. Then the 2nd unit comes in, and you get a bunch of invert guys with some shooters who keep the pressure on all game.

PSU's close defense is better than Georgetown's attack unit. If PSU slides to support any of those match-ups, I'll probably throw things at my TV.

And then there's Fracyon. He's the best goalie in the nation. I don't think the Michigan game will affect him one bit. Big, athletic, baits shooters, the kick saves, kinda unorthodox.

Too much experience on PSU. The parts fit so well together. It's whether or not Ball can dominate possession so much that Georgetown can get 40+ shots up. That's the way to get to Fracyon. He's going to get his saves, so you have to shoot a lot to give yourself a chance. Playing slow down on offense and grinding possessions plays into his hands.

I have a lot of respect for Penn State and credit to them on a great season. I just think Georgetown gets very little credit for what they’ve been able to accomplish this year.
I do apologize for using opponent adjusted metrics to form an opinion. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Hoya Saxa!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”