NCAA Tournament 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Gullsby1000

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by Gullsby1000 »

A little confused by this, will the ncaa ever allow more then 32 active players for the tournament in D3? A lot of rosters are reaching 50-60+ and these kids work there asses off all year to just stand in the bleachers when it really matters. Obviously a Salisbury fan and saw over 20 kids on the bleachers today, but what is the reasoning behind leaving these kids out?
Gullsby1000

Post by Gullsby1000 »

SouthieLax wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:46 pm
SixBySix wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:39 pm Thoughts on Swat-Endicott:

Final score was right around where I expected it to be, and the Garnet continued their strong second-half adjustments. Endicott was really impressive on face-offs, particularly wing play and ground ball battles. That took a relatively small advantage on the draws themselves and turned it into a huge positive for the Gulls. They also had a fantastic scout that Swat likes to sub and have slow, methodical clears, which allowed them to get into a deadly 10-man without much risk. It certainly felt like far more than 7 failed clears for the Garnet, and they were only able to steal a half-court goal in garbage time.

On the other hand, they really struggled to win dodges and force the Garnet to rotate consistently, resulting in a very high volume of relatively poor quality shots. Not a winning combination against a good goalkeeper like Tyson. Swat was very quick to collapse when they did get the ball to dangerous spots of the field, and were often able to deny the shot entirely. I also have a lot of questions about running a zone-like look with a SSDM at X for most of the game. Swat runs a lot of two-man game behind GLE precisely to create SSDM match-ups at X for Almgren or either Mabbs, all of whom will consistently beat a short stick and are adept feeders against the slide. Swat was able to create a lot of very good looks, and their shooting was excellent tonight, converting 30% overall (compared to 17% for the Gulls).

Overall a very fun game to watch. Disciplined, skilled teams (though not without some moments on both sides where the nerves showed through!) going at it and playing with a ton of passion.
Appreciate the excellent analysis.
Amazing analysis, concerned for the Gulls tomorrow but can't wait for them to pay some real competition. Swarthmore is probably one of the best teams Salisbury will play this season aside from CNU and arguably a couple others (Lynchburg, Gettysburg, Stevenson (kind of) ).
Laxguy92

Post by Laxguy92 »

Gullsby1000 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:19 am A little confused by this, will the ncaa ever allow more then 32 active players for the tournament in D3? A lot of rosters are reaching 50-60+ and these kids work there asses off all year to just stand in the bleachers when it really matters. Obviously a Salisbury fan and saw over 20 kids on the bleachers today, but what is the reasoning behind leaving these kids out?
Can’t think of any other reasoning than the NCAA being stupid (again). I know they implemented the patch rule last year where a certain amount of players, who are allowed to be in the game, are given patches to put on their jerseys and then another amount are allowed to stand on the sideline in gear but their jerseys don’t have a patch, so they are not allowed to go into the game. I feel like the whole team should be allowed on the sideline, just keep the patch limit the same for every team.
SlackBaller

Post by SlackBaller »

Gullsby1000 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:22 am
SouthieLax wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:46 pm
SixBySix wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:39 pm Thoughts on Swat-Endicott:

Final score was right around where I expected it to be, and the Garnet continued their strong second-half adjustments. Endicott was really impressive on face-offs, particularly wing play and ground ball battles. That took a relatively small advantage on the draws themselves and turned it into a huge positive for the Gulls. They also had a fantastic scout that Swat likes to sub and have slow, methodical clears, which allowed them to get into a deadly 10-man without much risk. It certainly felt like far more than 7 failed clears for the Garnet, and they were only able to steal a half-court goal in garbage time.

On the other hand, they really struggled to win dodges and force the Garnet to rotate consistently, resulting in a very high volume of relatively poor quality shots. Not a winning combination against a good goalkeeper like Tyson. Swat was very quick to collapse when they did get the ball to dangerous spots of the field, and were often able to deny the shot entirely. I also have a lot of questions about running a zone-like look with a SSDM at X for most of the game. Swat runs a lot of two-man game behind GLE precisely to create SSDM match-ups at X for Almgren or either Mabbs, all of whom will consistently beat a short stick and are adept feeders against the slide. Swat was able to create a lot of very good looks, and their shooting was excellent tonight, converting 30% overall (compared to 17% for the Gulls).

Overall a very fun game to watch. Disciplined, skilled teams (though not without some moments on both sides where the nerves showed through!) going at it and playing with a ton of passion.
Appreciate the excellent analysis.
Amazing analysis, concerned for the Gulls tomorrow but can't wait for them to pay some real competition. Swarthmore is probably one of the best teams Salisbury will play this season aside from CNU and arguably a couple others (Lynchburg, Gettysburg, Stevenson (kind of) ).
Agreed. Top notch analysis on the dynamics of the win for Swarthmore. Nothing wrong with hitting stride going into round three for the Garnet. They are playing with a different agenda than Salisbury.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Laxguy92 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:37 am
Gullsby1000 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:19 am A little confused by this, will the ncaa ever allow more then 32 active players for the tournament in D3? A lot of rosters are reaching 50-60+ and these kids work there asses off all year to just stand in the bleachers when it really matters. Obviously a Salisbury fan and saw over 20 kids on the bleachers today, but what is the reasoning behind leaving these kids out?
Can’t think of any other reasoning than the NCAA being stupid (again). I know they implemented the patch rule last year where a certain amount of players, who are allowed to be in the game, are given patches to put on their jerseys and then another amount are allowed to stand on the sideline in gear but their jerseys don’t have a patch, so they are not allowed to go into the game. I feel like the whole team should be allowed on the sideline, just keep the patch limit the same for every team.
The rule is only about money money for NCAA, they pay travel costs during post season and just cheap out. More players means more to spend on hotels, food and travel by NCAA. Better they just set a limit and allow schools to pick up and additional cost if school choose to. Victories are diminished when all players are not included. NCAA governing body really doesn’t have players best interest in mind. Puts players and coaches in a terrible position. Imagine a school telling a kid they can’t participate in graduation because we don’t have enough room in the ceremony venue. Sad sad reflection on NCAA.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Motorman wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:45 am
The rule is only about money money for NCAA, they pay travel costs during post season and just cheap out. More players means more to spend on hotels, food and travel by NCAA. Better they just set a limit and allow schools to pick up and additional cost if school choose to. Victories are diminished when all players are not included. NCAA governing body really doesn’t have players best interest in mind. Puts players and coaches in a terrible position. Imagine a school telling a kid they can’t participate in graduation because we don’t have enough room in the ceremony venue. Sad sad reflection on NCAA.
This is exactly right. They pay for travel and thus want to pay for as few spots as possible. For road tourney games, the players who aren’t dressed have either paid their own way or the school has paid for them. Since they have done so, they absolutely should be able to dress and at least be on the sideline. I imagine the NCAA would reply with some crap about equity regarding teams and players who can afford it but it sucks.
DTL94

Post by DTL94 »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:51 am
This is exactly right. They pay for travel and thus want to pay for as few spots as possible. For road tourney games, the players who aren’t dressed have either paid their own way or the school has paid for them. Since they have done so, they absolutely should be able to dress and at least be on the sideline. I imagine the NCAA would reply with some crap about equity regarding teams and players who can afford it but it sucks.
Unless this has changed since 2016 this is 100% incorrect information. Having played in multiple NCAA tournaments, the entire team travels, stays in a hotel, and eats on the NCAA’s dime.

I think it’s ridiculous the entire team can’t dress and players have to stand in the bleachers but none of our players were paying their own way to NCAA games…just so inaccurate it’s incredible you felt comfortable posting that.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

DTL94 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:09 am
Unless this has changed since 2016 this is 100% incorrect information. Having played in multiple NCAA tournaments, the entire team travels, stays in a hotel, and eats on the NCAA’s dime.

I think it’s ridiculous the entire team can’t dress and players have to stand in the bleachers but none of our players were paying their own way to NCAA games…just so inaccurate it’s incredible you felt comfortable posting that.
Easy, hard charger. Easy. No need to rip someone’s face off on Mother’s Day/Round of 16 Day.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

I don’t think any malice was intended, without some clear explanation from NCAA as to why only X amount of players can dress it leaves everyone to interpret the policy in their own manner. It’s clear that we are all in the dark on this matter. Why? What’s the rational? Just an awful view seeing players sitting in bleachers like they have been put in a grade school timeout. Playing in the NCAA tournament is once in a lifetime opportunity for many players. It’s the climax of many years of practice days and games. To be left to watch from the fences in a terrible insult from the NCAA. Nothing anyone says can change this fact.
CentennialPundit

Post by CentennialPundit »

I believe this has changed. To my knowledge normally the school picks up the rest of the bill for everyone to travel- the ncaa only covers ~32 people.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

For the 3rd round:

RIT already advanced

Middlebury vs. Dickinson | 3 p.m. - Zink with 7 goals yesterday for Midd, Devil's backup Fogo took all draws yesterday and did well. Should be a very close game. Taking Midd by 2.

St. John Fisher vs. St. Lawrence | 3 p.m. - Fisher playing with house money could surprise again. SLU is solid and if composed should take the win. SLU by 4.

Wash. & Lee vs. Lynchburg | 4 p.m. - Their last meeting was a one goal difference so anticipating the same close game today. W&L by 2.

Bowdoin vs. Rensselaer | 3 p.m. - Most interesting game today with two NE heavyweights. Bowdoin Fogo, attack unit, and solid man D facing a very good RPI team everywhere in the field, especially in the cage. Taking RPI by 3, but would not be surprised if the score is flipped.

Stevenson vs. Tufts | 3 p.m. - Should be a steam rolling for the Jumbos. Tufts by 7.

Salisbury vs. Swarthmore | 6:30 p.m. - Just don't think any game plan can stymy the Gulls so Swat will need very high efficiency on the offensive end for any shot at winning. Gulls by 8.

Christopher Newport vs. Stevens | 7 p.m. - If the Captains get their offense moving, passing and shooting like they can do it will be a long day for the Ducks. Combined with the CNU Fogo it looks like a solid win for CNU. However, Stevens will have a plan so it should be an interesting first half. CNU by 6.

Fun day ahead.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
richard

Post by richard »

Teams remaining that played in the Mustang Classic CNU, Lynchburg, W&L, Tufts, SLU, Stevenson, Dickinson, and RIT.
These teams have the advantage of having played on back to back days already this year.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

going with…..

Tufts over Stevenson by 10-15
Salisbury over Swarthmore by 7-10
CNU over stevenson by 5-8
Middlebury over Dickinson by 4-7
St Lawrence over SJF by 4-7
Lynchburg over W&L by 2-3

going with RPI over Bowdoin. should be competitive, but i see RPI winning each qtr by 1-2
Laxguy92

Post by Laxguy92 »

richard wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 am Teams remaining that played in the Mustang Classic CNU, Lynchburg, W&L, Tufts, SLU, Stevenson, Dickinson, and RIT.
These teams have the advantage of having played on back to back days already this year.
That weekend from 2 months ago is not gonna matter now, especially when the top teams in the country are all playing with their seasons/careers on the line, these guys are giving it all they got regardless of their games yesterday. Clean slate.
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

BallHunt wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:00 am For the 3rd round:

RIT already advanced

Middlebury vs. Dickinson | 3 p.m. - Zink with 7 goals yesterday for Midd, Devil's backup Fogo took all draws yesterday and did well. Should be a very close game. Taking Midd by 2.

St. John Fisher vs. St. Lawrence | 3 p.m. - Fisher playing with house money could surprise again. SLU is solid and if composed should take the win. SLU by 4.

Wash. & Lee vs. Lynchburg | 4 p.m. - Their last meeting was a one goal difference so anticipating the same close game today. W&L by 2.

Bowdoin vs. Rensselaer | 3 p.m. - Most interesting game today with two NE heavyweights. Bowdoin Fogo, attack unit, and solid man D facing a very good RPI team everywhere in the field, especially in the cage. Taking RPI by 3, but would not be surprised if the score is flipped.

Stevenson vs. Tufts | 3 p.m. - Should be a steam rolling for the Jumbos. Tufts by 7.

Salisbury vs. Swarthmore | 6:30 p.m. - Just don't think any game plan can stymy the Gulls so Swat will need very high efficiency on the offensive end for any shot at winning. Gulls by 8.

Christopher Newport vs. Stevens | 7 p.m. - If the Captains get their offense moving, passing and shooting like they can do it will be a long day for the Ducks. Combined with the CNU Fogo it looks like a solid win for CNU. However, Stevens will have a plan so it should be an interesting first half. CNU by 6.

Fun day ahead.
The specter of the NESCAC hangs over the heads of the RPI faithful. The Engineers have lost the last 3 tourney appearances to NESCAC teams. Hoping today they can exercise those demons, like the rest of the demons they have been exercising all year. Bowdoin came out hot yesterday but as long as the Engineers come ready to play, I think they should be favored, especially with Perry in net.

Gimme RPI by 2
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Laxguy92 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:18 am
richard wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 am Teams remaining that played in the Mustang Classic CNU, Lynchburg, W&L, Tufts, SLU, Stevenson, Dickinson, and RIT.
That weekend from 2 months ago is not gonna matter now, especially when the top teams in the country are all playing with their seasons/careers on the line, these guys are giving it all they got regardless of their games yesterday. Clean slate.
i agree. two games in a row is no big deal for these kids. most have been playing 6 days a week for the past 4-8 years. also, these kids were playing 3 games a day in summer heat just a few years ago. back to back games is not that big of a deal other than missing out on game film.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Good point Rich. I am sure all the kids playing are jacked up for today. Go Gennies!!!

valaxfan
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:25 am
BallHunt wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:00 am For the 3rd round:

RIT already advanced

Fun day ahead.
The specter of the NESCAC hangs over the heads of the RPI faithful. The Engineers have lost the last 3 tourney appearances to NESCAC teams. Hoping today they can exercise those demons, like the rest of the demons they have been exercising all year. Bowdoin came out hot yesterday but as long as the Engineers come ready to play, I think they should be favored, especially with Perry in net.

Gimme RPI by 2
I've watched RPI in person over the last few years and have always thought they underperformed. This season they have played to their level of talent and have played complete games, things missing the past few years.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
richard

Post by richard »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:28 am [quote=Laxguy92 post_id=550305 time=<a href="tel:1715519880">1715519880</a> user_id=6423]
[quote=richard post_id=550299 time=<a href="tel:1715519171">1715519171</a> user_id=418]
Teams remaining that played in the Mustang Classic CNU, Lynchburg, W&L, Tufts, SLU, Stevenson, Dickinson, and RIT.
[/quote]

i agree. two games in a row is no big deal for these kids. most have been playing 6 days a week for the past 4-8 years. also, these kids were playing 3 games a day in summer heat just a few years ago. back to back games is not that big of a deal other than missing out on game film.
[/quote]

I understand youth. They are infallible, unbeatable,omnipotent,invincible and immortal. Fortunately there are some coaches who know better and any similar experiences they and the kids have had are an advantage. Number 40 might agree with that now. Not only is it a physical thing but mental more so.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Just for fun. Don't take these predictions to your local bookie.

Salisbury over Swarthmore by 5

W & L over Lynchburg by 1

Tufts over Stevenson by 9

St. Lawrence over St. John Fisher by 2

Bowdoin over RPI by 1

Dickinson over Middlebury by 1

CNU over Stevens by 4

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”