TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

Post by Wheels »

random observer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:17 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:07 pm A broadcast team talking delis, chicken parm sandwiches, traffic, workout routines, haircuts!!! is different from not keeping track of other pertinent games.
No argument for me on those things, and I agree that stuff is annoying. But people have also complained any time that they mention teams that aren't presently on the field, and it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise. People want to find reasons to hate these guys.

Frankly the only one who really bothers me is Carc, as he is the one who goes heavy on the hyperbole, and he typically is the instigator for the things you mentioned above. But I also think he's a great guy, and my frustration is just as much because I think he's capable of better (particularly when he is in the sideline and not in the booth).

Regardless, for the people complaining about the lack of coverage of the other stuff, they've just gone in depth with what's going on elsewhere during the halftime show.
Carc on the sidelines during the Final 4 and championship is really good. When Quint isn't going out of his way to troll, he's really good. These guys know the game so well, and we're all lacrosse nerds, so that's what we want to hear. I have no idea if all of the other filler is good for the casual fan (presumably for entertainment?). When Quint is in the booth with Sheehan Stanwick Burch, they're really good together. Joe B and Mark Dixon are the best combo, IMO. Sometimes you can tell when Joe is just coming off his NHL duties when he gets a little too "he shoots, he scores!", but he is a great pbp guy. CBS Sports has some good people, especially when Evan Washburn is paired with Dave Ryan, who is a great pbp guy.

Someone has to tone Anish down, though. He sells ESPN's products way too hard. The constant hyperbole on "best player ever!" is really bad.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:34 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:07 pm A broadcast team talking delis, chicken parm sandwiches, traffic, workout routines, haircuts!!! is different from not keeping track of other pertinent games.
No argument for me on those things, and I agree that stuff is annoying. But people have also complained any time that they mention teams that aren't presently on the field, and it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise. People want to find reasons to hate these guys.

Frankly the only one who really bothers me is Carc, as he is the one who goes heavy on the hyperbole, and he typically is the instigator for the things you mentioned above. But I also think he's a great guy, and my frustration is just as much because I think he's capable of better (particularly when he is in the sideline and not in the booth).

Regardless, for the people complaining about the lack of coverage of the other stuff, they've just gone in depth with what's going on elsewhere during the halftime show.
Carc on the sidelines during the Final 4 and championship is really good. When Quint isn't going out of his way to troll, he's really good. These guys know the game so well, and we're all lacrosse nerds, so that's what we want to hear. I have no idea if all of the other filler is good for the casual fan (presumably for entertainment?). When Quint is in the booth with Sheehan Stanwick Burch, they're really good together. Joe B and Mark Dixon are the best combo, IMO. Sometimes you can tell when Joe is just coming off his NHL duties when he gets a little too "he shoots, he scores!", but he is a great pbp guy. CBS Sports has some good people, especially when Evan Washburn is paired with Dave Ryan, who is a great pbp guy.

Someone has to tone Anish down, though. He sells ESPN's products way too hard. The constant hyperbole on "best player ever!" is really bad.
Yeah I think this comment is very accurate (although I would say it's Carc, not Anish, who really lays it on thick with "the best __ in all of college lacrosse" shtick). The problem is typically when you put them all in the same booth, and they enable each others' worst tendencies. But on the whole I think they're all pretty competent. Quint in particular is very good and gets too much hate.
a fan

Post by a fan »

I've always chalked it up to the same thing: we're no in their target audience.

That, and lacrosse, for as long as I've followed the sport, has always been about the culture. Like rugby or Canadian hockey, the post-game pint is almost more important than the game. Or maybe that's just been my experience. Vail. Lake Placid. Club ball. So talking about places to grab crab and a bucket of beer has always made sense to me.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

random observer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:51 pm

Yeah I think this comment is very accurate (although I would say it's Carc, not Anish, who really lays it on thick with "the best __ in all of college lacrosse" shtick). The problem is typically when you put them all in the same booth, and they enable each others' worst tendencies. But on the whole I think they're all pretty competent. Quint in particular is very good and gets too much hate.
I was rooting for UPenn today solely so that I didn’t have to hear Carc and Quint say “Barbecue Burns” 100 times next weekend. No one overuses nicknames as much as those guys.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

BigTom5 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:52 pm

I was rooting for UPenn today solely so that I didn’t have to hear Carc and Quint say “Barbecue Burns” 100 times next weekend. No one overuses nicknames as much as those guys.
I had never heard that nickname until those guys came on TV….let the kids call him that….not adults…..it is as bad as Danny Dimes.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

I wish that I knew the names of the announcers who did the Big Ten final last night - Benedetti? - and today's Patriot League final because they were knowledgeable, straight-forward, and more importantly let the lacrosse speak for itself. They are in direct contrast to Carc and Quint, who are obviously highly knowledgeable but simply overpower the broadcast with their hyperbole about the players on the field. Everyone is the best this or the best that - this play or that play is the greatest of the season - etc. It just gets exhausting listening to them, trying to decipher hyperbole from reality. I get that they are the voices of a game that is a wonderful cult for all of us so beggars shouldn't be choosers, but it is so nice when I get to watch a game without them. Tone it down, guys, let the game speak for itself. Relax a bit.

P.S. - I do like Anish Shroff. He finds a way to temper his colleagues in a respectful way.
random observer

Lax3 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:29 pm I wish that I knew the names of the announcers who did the Big Ten final last night - Benedetti? - and today's Patriot League final because they were knowledgeable, straight-forward, and more importantly let the lacrosse speak for itself. They are in direct contrast to Carc and Quint, who are obviously highly knowledgeable but simply overpower the broadcast with their hyperbole about the players on the field. Everyone is the best this or the best that - this play or that play is the greatest of the season - etc. It just gets exhausting listening to them, trying to decipher hyperbole from reality. I get that they are the voices of a game that is a wonderful cult for all of us so beggars shouldn't be choosers, but it is so nice when I get to watch a game without them. Tone it down, guys, let the game speak for itself. Relax a bit.

P.S. - I do like Anish Shroff. He finds a way to temper his colleagues in a respectful way.
Again, I would like people to give examples of Quint ever using hyperbole. He is much more measured and nuanced in his praise, and quite specific in the way he profiles players.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

We know who is in the tournament guys. Let's get to the brackets. All these teams will be on TV this weekend. This is a waste of time. Show the brackets and then discuss the match ups and the road to Philly. Glad to see Cars give props to the Ivy League, for a change.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

It’s harmless but man am I sick of anish and “Jurassic park”. He gets one phrase and cannot stop repeating it. That or game of thrones references. Try and be a pro 🤦‍♂️
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

random observer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:02 pm
Lax3 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:29 pm I wish that I knew the names of the announcers who did the Big Ten final last night - Benedetti? - and today's Patriot League final because they were knowledgeable, straight-forward, and more importantly let the lacrosse speak for itself. They are in direct contrast to Carc and Quint, who are obviously highly knowledgeable but simply overpower the broadcast with their hyperbole about the players on the field. Everyone is the best this or the best that - this play or that play is the greatest of the season - etc. It just gets exhausting listening to them, trying to decipher hyperbole from reality. I get that they are the voices of a game that is a wonderful cult for all of us so beggars shouldn't be choosers, but it is so nice when I get to watch a game without them. Tone it down, guys, let the game speak for itself. Relax a bit.

Again, I would like people to give examples of Quint ever using hyperbole. He is much more measured and nuanced in his praise, and quite specific in the way he profiles players.
He's been OK today, not really over the top - he showed some good spontaneity at the start of the game when things were a lot more hectic and physical.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I like having the analyst as the sideline guy like how ESPN had the second announcer between the boards the other night for the nhl playoffs. It adds to the broadcast. Quint, Carc and Dixon could use the sun, just bring the suntan lotion.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I'm not bothered by the tasty sandwich comparisons, cool haircuts, or Seinfeld family history that's spewed forth by the announcers. What I object to is their lack of preparation.

E.g. While watching the DU-Michigan game, a Michigan player was identified as FRESHMAN Aidan Mulholland. He's a JUNIOR!

These chaps must have cheat sheets to view and researchers to feed the talking heads to keep them informed.

Am I nitpicking?
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:35 pm We know who is in the tournament guys. Let's get to the brackets. All these teams will be on TV this weekend. This is a waste of time. Show the brackets and then discuss the match ups and the road to Philly. Glad to see Cars give props to the Ivy League, for a change.

Hear! Hear! Chousnake, never thought I would agree with you on anything.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

cotter and carc having difficulty describing the game in front of them.
coda

Post by coda »

Someone should tell Quint it is a lacrosse field, not a pitch
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:55 pm I'm not bothered by the tasty sandwich comparisons, cool haircuts, or Seinfeld family history that's spewed forth by the announcers. What I object to is their lack of preparation.

E.g. While watching the DU-Michigan game, a Michigan player was identified as FRESHMAN Aidan Mulholland. He's a JUNIOR!

These chaps must have cheat sheets to view and researchers to feed the talking heads to keep them informed.

Am I nitpicking?
Nope! Joe Beninati, Pete Medhurst, and Ryan Boyle are great when calling a game. I’d say Jules is also coming along nicely. They Army PxP is also pretty good and has the excitement crescendo building voice from calling hockey like Joe. It would help to paid these handful with the schtick guys to soften the blow.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
coda

Post by coda »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:29 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:55 pm I'm not bothered by the tasty sandwich comparisons, cool haircuts, or Seinfeld family history that's spewed forth by the announcers. What I object to is their lack of preparation.

Am I nitpicking?
Nope! Joe Beninati, Pete Medhurst, and Ryan Boyle are great when calling a game. I’d say Jules is also coming along nicely. They Army PxP is also pretty good and has the excitement crescendo building voice from calling hockey like Joe. It would help to paid these handful with the schtick guys to soften the blow.
The good
https://www.upperdeckylacrosse.blog/pos ... ist-part-1
The bad
https://www.upperdeckylacrosse.blog/pos ... ist-part-2

Its written by young guys, so be warned
random observer

coda wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:28 pm

I say this sincerely: what serious person cares for even one second if someone calls it a lacrosse field or a pitch?
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

random observer wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:55 pm

I say this sincerely: what serious person cares for even one second if someone calls it a lacrosse field or a pitch?
There was nothing wrong with Q calling it a pitch. Clearly, some of the knuckle draggers here (probably from Long Island) get triggered when Q out cultures them.
coda

Post by coda »

random observer wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:55 pm

It was driving me nuts. Called it a pitch like 6-8 times during the game. This isn’t soccer. See people get upset about “power play”, this is way worse. I don’t even understand when it started or why
Last edited by coda on Sat May 11, 2024 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”