Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GaitsRightHand

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by GaitsRightHand »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:19 pm This was a few years ago but Petro was pretty clear about wanting to be a head coach again after he left Hopkins. But now that he's at UNC with his kids, I doubt he'd leave except for a top top top job. And Brown and Marquette don't qualify. If something like Ohio State unexpectedly opens, his ears might perk up
Breschi gets fired, Petro steps in.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:19 pm This was a few years ago but Petro was pretty clear about wanting to be a head coach again after he left Hopkins. But now that he's at UNC with his kids, I doubt he'd leave except for a top top top job. And Brown and Marquette don't qualify. If something like Ohio State unexpectedly opens, his ears might perk up
Agree. I think he would jump at something like Rutgers or Ohio State. I think he would even consider Brown.

Truth be told, I think his days of being a first-choice HC candidate at a major program are long over. After his sons move on from UNC, he may need to settle for a mid-major if he wants to be a HC again.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:29 pm
Agree. I think he would jump at something like Rutgers or Ohio State. I think he would even consider Brown.

Truth be told, I think his days of being a first-choice HC candidate at a major program are long over. After his sons move on from UNC, he may need to settle for a mid-major if he wants to be a HC again.

DocBarrister
How about Hofstra, if it hopes up in a year or two? As Bon Jovi sings, "Who Says You Can't Go Home?". And Petro is from Long Island. Of course, he would be replacing his former top assistant, Seth Tierney.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:08 pm

DocBarrister
How about Hofstra, if it hopes up in a year or two? As Bon Jovi sings, "Who Says You Can't Go Home?". And Petro is from Long Island. Of course, he would be replacing his former top assistant, Seth Tierney.
Too much of a lift. He needs to go the an established foundation and use his legacy and maybe Rolodex for a pop to nudge a high caliber program over the top. Not where he’s got to go rebuild or reroute pipelines, work internal customers like financial aid or other admin, restrictive at least one side of the ball maybe both O and D. Not that brown is a bad portal by any means but you have to still do a lot of work there. Petro isn’t doing that.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:46 pm

DocBarrister
Too much of a lift. He needs to go the an established foundation and use his legacy and maybe Rolodex for a pop to nudge a high caliber program over the top. Not where he’s got to go rebuild or reroute pipelines, work internal customers like financial aid or other admin, restrictive at least one side of the ball maybe both O and D. Not that brown is a bad portal by any means but you have to still do a lot of work there. Petro isn’t doing that.
Would Hobart be too much of a lift, too?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:52 pm

DocBarrister
Dave Pietramala is not going to coach at Hobart, dawg
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:06 pm

DocBarrister
Dave Pietramala is not going to coach at Hobart, dawg
Even though I mentioned it, I have a feeling you are right.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister
Today yes. In 2010 that playbook could’ve worked w Hobart but kids are to removed from Hobart greatness for the pop of a new big name on campus to matter.

Think about how much work Petro put into cleaning up Cornell 30yrs ago. Think brown today is easier than that gig and he’s > 30yrs older than back in the day. Hes not doing tiny again.
See Martin, Malcolm
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Petro’s record while Cornell HC vs Hobart: 0-3
Look it up😂
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

There is no reason Hobart can't be a regular top contender in the Atlantic 10.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:35 pm Petro’s record while Cornell HC vs Hobart: 0-3
Look it up😂
Yes but that doesn’t seem to address the point. I don’t need to look it up I was around for (part of) it.
See Martin, Malcolm
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I didn’t mean literally :roll:
My POINT was Petro may not have a lot of love for Hobart
CU77

Post by CU77 »

1) Petro is not taking any HC job that's not in the ACC or B1G.

2) No school in the ACC or B1G would hire Petro as their HC.

3) Do the math.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:09 pm I didn’t mean literally :roll:
Ah I missed that sorry. Or he realized his true calling very late in life and takes us to the promised land while shrieking lines from Lord Byron and then having a heart attack in the middle of the Boz. The cause will be heart attack from over station of blue cheese mixed with mozzarella and marinara sauce.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:19 pm 1) Petro is not taking any HC job that's not in the ACC or B1G.

2) No school in the ACC or B1G would hire Petro as their HC.

3) Do the math.
Hypothetical (because you never know about black swans until you see one):

How about if random big money BCS school (USC, Stanford, whatever) has a big check and agrees to put it up. They want name to start so pay up for Oetro and top dollar for two assistants who can have a 2-3yrs bake off to be Perers selected successor.

Would he take that if it weren’t ACC or Big ten then?
See Martin, Malcolm
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Petro would likely be very interested in a USC or Stanford or other P4 football school that's starting up and I imagine he'd garner some interest there as well potentially. I also wouldn't rule out that a school like Ohio State could be interested considering he had success within the Big Ten and you imagine they'd be looking for a big name.

But anything such as a new program starting would take 2-3 years to come together, I don't think Ohio State is opening this year and I'm not sure he'd want to leave UNC while his kids are still there, and he's 57, turning 58. Just not sure the timing is there for him to get any coaching job at this point. And this tends to be how it works. Starsia never coached again, nor Desko. Even guys of a lower status...Tony Seaman never coached again after Towson let him go. Richie Meade came back, but it was at Furman. The likelihood is he's probably done
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:54 pm How about if random big money BCS school (USC, Stanford, whatever) has a big check and agrees to put it up. They want name to start so pay up for Oetro and top dollar for two assistants who can have a 2-3yrs bake off to be Perers selected successor.

Would he take that if it weren’t ACC or Big ten then?
1) No other major school is going to start varsity men's lacrosse. It's a money-loser and a Title-IX nightmare.

2) If that's wrong, they are not hiring Petro, for the same reason the ACC and B1G are not: he's old news. See Michigan and Conry. See Cottle.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The idea of DI lacrosse in California is D.O.A.
Its simply not worth is for many reasons other than Title IX. The sport simply has not taken off in the state nearly as much as the IL - "Grow-The-Game" cult would have you believe.
None of the UC State schools will be picking up lacrosse any time soon.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:51 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:09 pm I didn’t mean literally :roll:
Ah I missed that sorry. Or he realized his true calling very late in life and takes us to the promised land while shrieking lines from Lord Byron and then having a heart attack in the middle of the Boz. The cause will be heart attack from over station of blue cheese mixed with mozzarella and marinara sauce.
LOL…or, too much ozempic!
MajorMacLax18

Post by MajorMacLax18 »

Any word on job openings? Thinking Detroit Mercy would have some coaches on campus soon.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”