ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by CU77 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:38 pm How about eliminate the NCAA and start from there? Does it still serve any useful purpose?
Pays for travel out of basketball profits.

It's basketball fans who should be complaining, their money is supporting all these niche-sport tournaments.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

SOS is not based off of poll rankings.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Chousnake wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:28 pm I have a better idea. How about we eliminate the post season tournaments altogether and give bids to the 9 regular season champions.
How about we also eliminate the NCAA tournament, and just have regular seasons only? That would get us closer to the true spirit of sport, would it not?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

pcowlax wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:09 pm SOS is not based off of poll rankings.
Correct, the SOS used by the NCAA is the average RPI of each team's top-10 (by RPI) opponents.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Remember when the cupcake Ivy League got 6 teams in 2022. Please do us all a favor and stfu :lol:
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Hooz123 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:34 pm Remember when the cupcake Ivy League got 6 teams in 2022. Please do us all a favor and stfu :lol:
Here he is again - trying to instigate trouble - ignore the troll.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:09 pm
Chousnake wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:28 pm I have a better idea. How about we eliminate the post season tournaments altogether and give bids to the 9 regular season champions.
How about we also eliminate the NCAA tournament, and just have regular seasons only? That would get us closer to the true spirit of sport, would it not?
OK. Touche. I get it. I understand where you are coming from and don't want to argue with a fellow Cornell fan and I did not mean to be snarky.

Most Ivy programs measure success in tiers. Make the ILT. Win the Ivy regular season title. Win the ILT. Get a tourney bid. Play on Memorial Day weekend. Win the Natty Championship. I think Cornell and most of its fans view a season as a success when they get a tourney bid. We all remember those seasons when Cornell didn't qualify - 2024, 2019, 2016-17, 2012. We also remember the Memorial Day seasons. I could not tell you without looking it up when Cornell won the ILT.

In my view, awarding a bid to the ILT winner only cheapens the regular season dramatically. I know that the 1 and done NCAA tourney can do the same, but the only unseeded team to ever win the title was 2016 UNC. It's hard to find a tourney when an AL team was not capable of winning the title. Have a good season to qualify and then win games to win the title.

I do not think it is equitable, fair, or logical for a team to go 6-0 or 5-1 in its league and tear it up in the regular season out of conference to go, say 12-2 and have to play a 3-3/7-7 team ( that they already beat) in a league tournament, possibly on that 3-3 team's home field.

I'm a pro football fan. NFL teams play a similar number of games as D1 lax teams. Should the NFL go to a system where, after the season , each division plays a post season tournament where 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 and the winners play to see who makes the playoffs? So Kansas City goes 15-2 and beats a 4-13 Denver team twice and then has to play them a third time to make the playoffs? When you really come down to it, the league that probably awards a championship to the best team over a season is the Premier League in England (and I'm not a soccer fan). Every team in one league and every team plays every other team and the team with the best record at the end of the season wins the title. But we all know that's not happening in lacrosse or any other US sport.

We all know the selection process is imperfect. We all have ideas on how to improve it (or some who think it is fine as is). I think that the last 10-15 seasons have shown that every year 1-2 teams or left out who shouldn't be and the difference between in and out is decimal points on some formula or some criteria that is given more importance one year vs another. Sometimes bids are stolen by teams ranked outside the top 15 or 20 winning a post season tournament. I'm just trying to find a way to get those teams in. I have a hard time thinking of another sport that I follow where teams that can win the title are left out of the playoffs.
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

the field should be expanded by 8 teams , and the dates should be extended at least one week.When is the college BB championship , well into june right?
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:41 am Should the NFL go to a system where, after the season , each division plays a post season tournament where 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 and the winners play to see who makes the playoffs?
When the lacrosse playoffs start generating the kind of revenue that the NFL playoffs do, or even the kind of revenue that the NCAA basketball playoffs do, then I'm sure the NCAA will be more than happy to expand the tourney and non-Big10/ACC schools will have a reasonable chance of getting an at-large (though not really, because if it started to generate those kind of revenues, the SEC, the ACC, the Big10 etc would all jump on board all-in, and the Ivies at least would be left in the dust within half a decade).

I can see your overall point here, but in the case of the Ivy League at least getting into the ILT is no gimme (and ergo, the regular season does still matter), and with the regular season champ getting home field that should allow for a nice bonus for the regular season champ.

To me the real issue is the continued (and baffling) over-reliance on RPI. Penn had a better resume than Penn State, and deserved the last at-large. Unconscionable that the committee didn't look past the simplistic (and moronic) RPI and give them the bid. A strong case could be made for Virginia being left out, too.

Unfortunately, a handful of teams enter every season with an enormous advantage due to their strength of schedule.
Dlaxva5

Post by Dlaxva5 »

cross post:

In summary - teams "struggling" at the end of the season are primarily playing in conference games and conference tournament games. And if you are in a good conference you could lose 2, 3 or 4 in the last month. All games matter because they typically play out of conference first.

Teams that are on the bubble - play inconsistently; have some good wins, but also some head-scratching losses; did well in their conference, but typically lost one they should not have, and didn't win the AQ for their conference tournament and typically didn't make the conference final.

We need to expand the tournament or change the criteria because some bubble teams didn't make it? The ones "playing well" at the end of the season? The ones high up in the Coaches Poll (no bias in that poll). The teams with 4 and 5 star recruits who didn't play consistently all season??

No need to "improve" or change anything - really nothing to fix. Model is simple - all games matter; win out of conference as much as possible; do well in conference and get to championship game. DON'T have a loss that can hurt you.

Easiest way to "fix" (never going to happen) - Play the conference games first and the conference tournament - have that all done by end of March - you'll know then if you are the AQ or not. Then play all the OOC games in April - how fun would that be!
semsox

Post by semsox »

ICGrad wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:36 pm To me the real issue is the continued (and baffling) over-reliance on RPI. Penn had a better resume than Penn State, and deserved the last at-large. Unconscionable that the committee didn't look past the simplistic (and moronic) RPI and give them the bid. A strong case could be made for Virginia being left out, too.

Unfortunately, a handful of teams enter every season with an enormous advantage due to their strength of schedule.
I think this is a year where that should have been the case in the Ivy, with multiple high profile out of conference wins by Cornell, Penn, and Yale. I think the underrated issue with RPI is that this schedule gaming only works for the ACC (and to a lesser extent the Big Ten) because they are smaller conferences that don't come with an inherent penalty of having to take up a schedule spot playing the 7th place team. I don't have all of the records in a database to calculate the full extent of the impact exactly, but every other Ivy League teams took a hit to their RPI when they played Dartmouth, despite winning the game. A similar logic applies to Brown though they did beat Princeton. I wonder how the RPI calculations might differ if, say, intraconference wins that would lower a team's RPI are excluded or had some sort of floor. All of this applies even more so for other larger leagues. I don't think having to play Dartmouth (or Brown this year) should have any bearing on how good we perceive Cornell, Penn, and Yale to be, yet given the compounding nature of the RPI and everyone being forced to play them, it turns the 3rd best lacrosse conference into a 1-bid league.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

The perfect storm for Ivys were:

Injuries to Yale and Cornell to a lesser extent
Weaker than usual Harvard and Brown caused a bottom 3 with poor RPIs
COVID transfer talent drain

Karma for 2022?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

hofpride wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:25 pm the field should be expanded by 8 teams , and the dates should be extended at least one week.When is the college BB championship , well into june right?
Every year lacrosse fans want to expand the tournament. In many cases it's because a few teams were left out.

To put it into perspective - baseball and basketball have over 300 D1 teams. 64 of them make the tournament. Rough math puts that ratio around 5:1.

Lacrosse has 76 D1 teams and 16 make the tournament - 4.75:1

I don't see the NCAA expending the tournament with ratios like that.
coda

Post by coda »

Brownlax wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:47 pm
hofpride wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:25 pm the field should be expanded by 8 teams , and the dates should be extended at least one week.When is the college BB championship , well into june right?
Every year lacrosse fans want to expand the tournament. In many cases it's because a few teams were left out.

To put it into perspective - baseball and basketball have over 300 D1 teams. 64 of them make the tournament. Rough math puts that ratio around 5:1.

Lacrosse has 76 D1 teams and 16 make the tournament - 4.75:1

I don't see the NCAA expending the tournament with ratios like that.
They may consider it, if it made money like the NCAA tournament. That isnt going to happen any time soon
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:30 pm I have a very simple solution:

Declare that the conference tournaments are actually first rounds of the NCAA tournament (and count the ACC as a conference).

Voila! The field is now expanded to ~50 teams. And the conference tournaments (= NCAA first rounds) are now much more meaningful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipsPgNEmAXI

Watch out for an upset from Brick. I heard he killed a guy. With a trident.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

hofpride wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:25 pm the field should be expanded by 8 teams
Why?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:41 am OK. Touche. I get it. I understand where you are coming from and don't want to argue with a fellow Cornell fan and I did not mean to be snarky.
Same!

But let me calmly defend the conf tourneys.

Shortly after the ILT got started, I recall Yale coach Andy Shay saying that he was a big supporter of it, because it gave his team a chance. Back then Yale regularly opened against Cornell and Princeton, would often lose both games, and then have little chance of winning the IL reg season title, demoralizing his team before the season was 1/3 over. The tourneys give a team a chance to develop. And they give the athletes something to play for. Now, if Yale lost the first 2, they still had a shot at making the ILT and thus a shot at the Ivy AQ (which they actually took advantage of a number of times).

So I think it's good for the players on multiple teams to have an achievable goal: make the conf tourney, and then try your best to win it.

And then there's the fact that single-game elimination tournaments (both conf and NCAA) are never going to consistently crown the "correct" champion, no matter how they're selected and organized, so we have to live with upsets and bid steals no matter what, if we have tournaments at all.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

ICGrad wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:36 pm
Chousnake wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:41 am Should the NFL go to a system where, after the season , each division plays a post season tournament where 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 and the winners play to see who makes the playoffs?
When the lacrosse playoffs start generating the kind of revenue that the NFL playoffs do, or even the kind of revenue that the NCAA basketball playoffs do, then I'm sure the NCAA will be more than happy to expand the tourney and non-Big10/ACC schools will have a reasonable chance of getting an at-large (though not really, because if it started to generate those kind of revenues, the SEC, the ACC, the Big10 etc would all jump on board all-in, and the Ivies at least would be left in the dust within half a decade).

I can see your overall point here, but in the case of the Ivy League at least getting into the ILT is no gimme (and ergo, the regular season does still matter), and with the regular season champ getting home field that should allow for a nice bonus for the regular season champ.

To me the real issue is the continued (and baffling) over-reliance on RPI. Penn had a better resume than Penn State, and deserved the last at-large. Unconscionable that the committee didn't look past the simplistic (and moronic) RPI and give them the bid. A strong case could be made for Virginia being left out, too.

I wasn't comparing the NFL to D1 lacrosse. I was pointing out the potential inequities of using the post season conference lax tournaments as the sole means of getting a bid by drawing an analogy to the way such tournaments could be used in the NFL to hurt the better teams. I wasn't advocating for the NFL to use a post season division tournament to pick playoff teams nor was I saying that lacrosse should use a system where 40% of teams make the playoffs.

I will say, though, that I can not find a sport in the US - college or pro - where so few teams get at large bids. I think the issue in D1 lax is that there are only 8 at large bids and that the AQs go to a far weaker slate than in any other sport, leaving a few contending (not just deserving) teams at home.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:33 pm
Chousnake wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:41 am OK. Touche. I get it. I understand where you are coming from and don't want to argue with a fellow Cornell fan and I did not mean to be snarky.
Same!

Shortly after the ILT got started, I recall Yale coach Andy Shay saying that he was a big supporter of it, because it gave his team a chance. Back then Yale regularly opened against Cornell and Princeton, would often lose both games, and then have little chance of winning the IL reg season title, demoralizing his team before the season was 1/3 over. The tourneys give a team a chance to develop. And they give the athletes something to play for. Now, if Yale lost the first 2, they still had a shot at making the ILT and thus a shot at the Ivy AQ (which they actually took advantage of a number of times).

So I think it's good for the players on multiple teams to have an achievable goal: make the conf tourney, and then try your best to win it.

And then there's the fact that single-game elimination tournaments (both conf and NCAA) are never going to consistently crown the "correct" champion, no matter how they're selected and organized, so we have to live with upsets and bid steals no matter what, if we have tournaments at all.
I understand and sympathize with that. The major reason the Ivy League put the tournament in place, from what I recall, was to try to offset the RPI/SOS advantage the ACC had with their post season tournament (which did not produce an AQ) and was put in place in 1988). The ACC teams and some independents were almost guaranteed a bid in the 90s and 00s before the season started because of their SOS. The goal was to give the top Ivies 1 or 2 more games vs top opponents.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:33 pm
Same!

But the choice of tourney or reg season is with the conferences and ergo colleges who oversee conferences. Ivy could crown reg season and still have a conference tourney to boost epi would just be a lot more transparent/nakedly shameful to do so. They lock it this way bc it blends in with everyone else
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”