2024 Bracketology

D1 Mens Lacrosse
keno in reno

Re: 2024 Bracketology

Post by keno in reno »

Hoos are a lock. I don't see how Maryland doesn't get in. Wins at Syracuse and Penn State plus head to head over Princeton, and no bad losses. I don't think any Ivy at large gets in over them. Terps are ugly, but their numbers are better than any of the other fence-sitters
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:29 am Hoos are a lock. I don't see how Maryland doesn't get in. Wins at Syracuse and Penn State plus head to head over Princeton, and no bad losses. I don't think any Ivy at large gets in over them. Terps are ugly, but their numbers are better than any of the other fence-sitters
nd, duke, jhu, cuse, uva, denver, penn state, cornell.
1st 4 in let's say.
with 4 to go and 5 to look at (in any order), someone is out if psu loses. the only one as of now with a bad loss is penn state.

psu wins, it's probably an easy day for the committee. if not...
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:29 am Hoos are a lock. I don't see how Maryland doesn't get in. Wins at Syracuse and Penn State plus head to head over Princeton, and no bad losses. I don't think any Ivy at large gets in over them. Terps are ugly, but their numbers are better than any of the other fence-sitters
If Princeton wins, MD will have 3 top 10 wins. Impossible to keep them out. They are probably hosting in that case.

Doesn’t matter if it’s ugly.
coda

Post by coda »

Young Warrior wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:45 am Two crucial games teams done and on the bubble will be watching:

Nova / Gtown - not sure it’s as interesting as the Big east likely gets two. Denver and the winner today. Loser out?

Michigan / PsU more interesting
Does Michigan have a chance if they lose close? Their RPI sits just behind Yale and Cornell which doesn’t help.
RPI loves Maryland, who looks horrible right now and who Mich beat.
Mich SOS is 9.

Also reading lot of stuff about “could UVA be left out”. I can’t see it at all but I couldn’t see ND being left out a few years ago either. Not sure I would pick any bubble team over UVA, even in their current form.
There is a chance Maryland is out with a Michigan win and that could affect other resumes. The way Maryland is playing they have no business taking an at-large spot
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

coda wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:01 am
Young Warrior wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:45 am Two crucial games teams done and on the bubble will be watching:

Nova / Gtown - not sure it’s as interesting as the Big east likely gets two. Denver and the winner today. Loser out?

Does Michigan have a chance if they lose close? Their RPI sits just behind Yale and Cornell which doesn’t help.
Mich SOS is 9.

Also reading lot of stuff about “could UVA be left out”. I can’t see it at all but I couldn’t see ND being left out a few years ago either. Not sure I would pick any bubble team over UVA, even in their current form.
There is a chance Maryland is out with a Michigan win and that could affect other resumes. The way Maryland is playing they have no business taking an at-large spot
They have no business, but they have better qualifications than all the other hopefuls. Looking great or looking horrible are not selection criteria. As awful as they look, they won some games that others could not.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I think I'd be in favor of expanding the tournament to 20 teams - i.e. have four "play-in" games. It surprises me every year that there are teams that are legitimately in the top 10 teams in the country who won't be getting into the the tourney. It would certainly make the "real" first round games more entertaining.
coda

Post by coda »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:57 am
coda wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:01 am

Mich SOS is 9.

They have no business, but they have better qualifications than all the other hopefuls. Looking great or looking horrible are not selection criteria. As awful as they look, they won some games that others could not.
It really should be. I actually like how basketball looks at how teams finish. RPI and (most) models judge every game as the same, but that doesn’t always tell the whole story. You have some teams limping into this tournament..
coda

Post by coda »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:21 pm I think I'd be in favor of expanding the tournament to 20 teams - i.e. have four "play-in" games. It surprises me every year that there are teams that are legitimately in the top 10 teams in the country who won't be getting into the the tourney. It would certainly make the "real" first round games more entertaining.
As a fan of lacrosse, I will sign off on any plan that gives me more win or go home games
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

thought it would be squared away by now, but has anybody seen/can refer the top 25 rpi right now?
lacrosse reference on his biggest weekend of the year looks like he's been kidnapped and data is getting entered by his drunk pet monkey.

laxnumbers "looks" complete and has penn, princeton, cornell and yale at 9, 11, 12, 13 in that order. can that be right, cornell's 12 and yale 13?

if that's the case, the field is probably already selected other than aqs/ivy. psu wins, a 2nd ivy is in. psu loses, ivy is one bid.
Last edited by wgdsr on Sat May 04, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:49 pm thought it would be squared away by now, but has anybody seen/can refer the top 25 rpi right now?
lacrosse reference on his biggest weekend of the year looks like he's been kidnapped and data is getting entered by his drunk pet monkey.

laxnumbers "looks" complete and has penn, princeton, cornell and yale at 9, 11, 12, 13 in that order. can that be right, cornell's 12 and yale 13?

if that's the case, the field is probably already selected other than aqs.
I saw the same.. I believe that is accurate
CU77

Post by CU77 »

A Princeton loss to Penn will drop their RPI below Cornell.
coda

Post by coda »

CU77 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:16 pm A Princeton loss to Penn will drop their RPI below Cornell.
This is worst part about RPI. I am not sure Princeton is playing great ball now. They can prove it tonight. They are getting a huge RPI boost from beating Yale, but Yale isn’t a top 20 team in its current form.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:49 pm Lacrosse reference on his biggest weekend of the year looks like he's been kidnapped and data is getting entered by his drunk pet monkey.
Haha. Had a bug that royally screwed things up on Thursday night. Had the RPI fixed by yesterday and the underlying problem fixed this morning. RPI should be good to go from here on out.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

laxreference wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:38 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:49 pm Lacrosse reference on his biggest weekend of the year looks like he's been kidnapped and data is getting entered by his drunk pet monkey.
Haha. Had a bug that royally screwed things up on Thursday night. Had the RPI fixed by yesterday and the underlying problem fixed this morning. RPI should be good to go from here on out.
The bug was one of the Corrigans.
HGK

Post by HGK »

St. joes just became the team a high seed doesn’t want to draw Sunday night.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HGK wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:11 pm St. joes just became the team a high seed doesn’t want to draw Sunday night.
Second that.

Just watch … wouldn’t be shocked if the selection committee screws Hopkins with that first-round match.

Who do they think we are, Cornell?!?

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
tech37

Post by tech37 »

HGK wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:11 pm St. joes just became the team a high seed doesn’t want to draw Sunday night.
Yes. And Patriot winner not far behind them that category. Parity to the people!
QuestionMark

Post by QuestionMark »

BU beat St. joes on a neutral field. If they win Patriot, Committee probably has BU playing the 5 and St. Joes the 4. RPI would be irrelevant when that matchup already happened
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Multiple committee chairs have said over the years that a win in May means no more or less than a win in February.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

CU77 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:05 pm Multiple committee chairs have said over the years that a win in May means no more or less than a win in February.
I believe you are correct. I recall ESPN hosts noting the committee looks at a team's "overall body of work." Quint K objected, arguing that how a team is "trending" matters more.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”