UVA @ Syracuse Sat. 4/20 2 pm

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: UVA @ Syracuse Sat. 4/20 2 pm

Post by DMac »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:03 pm All week long all we heard on this board was how the ACC was the superior conference because the teams play great defense compared to the Ivies. Where was this vaunted ACC defense today?

First Cornell puts up 17 on ND on Sunday. Then Duke and UVA play an 18-12 game. And then today's 18-17 UVA SU game with over 100 shots??? What say you ACC fans who preached defense all week. Do we discount Shelly's 9 point game today because it was played in an up and down bard burner just like people have been discounting Brandau's season on this forum this week?
You having an Ivy moment?
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

OCanada wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:46 pm
Hooz123 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:13 pm
NYlax222 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:08 pm Super exciting games - some remarkable individual plays, great hustle, and, amazingly, most of thread discussion about Spallina. Not sure why folks so keen to point out he's not ready for the Tewarton, and not sure why Cuse fans so intensely feel the need to insist we all think he's better than he is. Cuse Just had arguably best win in many years, and, some cuse fans seem most concerned about defending an individual (22) rather than celebrating team achievement.
Because Spallina was the only thing keeping Syracuse relevant for the past 3 years. That win meant more to Cuse than anyone on the UVa bench can begin to even understand. Congrats they played the best game of their lives and beat a team trending down and sputtering out.
I think you mean last two years. Spallina is a soph
Inside Lacrosse was hyping Spallina up his entire senior year in HS just because of the Syracuse connection. I stand by 3 years.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:03 pm All week long all we heard on this board was how the ACC was the superior conference because the teams play great defense compared to the Ivies. Where was this vaunted ACC defense today?

First Cornell puts up 17 on ND on Sunday. Then Duke and UVA play an 18-12 game. And then today's 18-17 UVA SU game with over 100 shots??? What say you ACC fans who preached defense all week. Do we discount Shelly's 9 point game today because it was played in an up and down bard burner just like people have been discounting Brandau's season on this forum this week?
Tell me you don't know jack about Cuse-UVa without telling me you don't know jack about Cuse-UVa.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Based on the CU/UNC games, at 17-14 with 5 mins. left, good chance Cuse folds. The English/Thomson inside box game had the Cav D dazed and confused though. And perhaps having March back made a difference. ;)

Great win SU!
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:29 pm

You having an Ivy moment?
No. I’m just busting chops with a hint of sarcasm
Finster

Post by Finster »

End of game, two plays decided the difference. Watch the videos.

First play is UVA up 17-16, 1.50 left. Most of UVA is ball watching…and btw, what in the universe is 44 doing? He’s going to the other end? He’ll come into focus again shortly. Is UVA really allowing a long stick defenseman to scoop up a loose ball five yards in front of their own goal?! And what is 44 doing exactly?

https://x.com/cusemlax/status/1781782368732201084?s=46

Second play, game tied 17-17, 50 seconds left. Three UVA defenders all go to the same side, the incorrect side, of English, leaving him tine and room to fire away. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT 44 IS DOING?!? Look where he goes!!!

https://x.com/cusemlax/status/1781783637647618148?s=46

If I’m Lars Tiffany, I think I’m having a heart to heart with 44.
laxlax29

Post by laxlax29 »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:44 am End of game, two plays decided the difference. Watch the videos.

First play is UVA up 17-16, 1.50 left. Most of UVA is ball watching…and btw, what in the universe is 44 doing? He’s going to the other end? He’ll come into focus again shortly. Is UVA really allowing a long stick defenseman to scoop up a loose ball five yards in front of their own goal?! And what is 44 doing exactly?

Second play, game tied 17-17, 50 seconds left. Three UVA defenders all go to the same side, the incorrect side, of English, leaving him tine and room to fire away. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT 44 IS DOING?!? Look where he goes!!!

UVA's cover guys are all very imposing physically and talented on-ball but they're less than the sum of their parts as a unit. Seems like a coaching thing
Finster

Post by Finster »

laxlax29 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:02 am
Finster wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:44 am End of game, two plays decided the difference. Watch the videos.

UVA's cover guys are all very imposing physically and talented on-ball but they're less than the sum of their parts as a unit. Seems like a coaching thing

Look, I’m glad Cuse won, that’s my team, and god knows how critical it was for the team and community to win this one, but when any team is up 17-14 like UVA with a few minutes left and manages to lose, I prefer looking at the plays to see what really went down.

Two common themes from both plays: UVA is ball-watching whereas Cuse is playing hard, and 44 thinks he’s an attackman who’s late to the other end of the field. I mean the kid directly hurt his team. Cuse was gifted EMO on both plays, unbeknownst to the other UVA players. He must do better than that.

Shellenberger deserved better tbh.
DMac

Post by DMac »

First one I think he's hanging back waiting for an outlet pass thinking the GK is going to come up with the ball. Then it's off to races on a fast break. Can't really find a whole lot of fault on that play.
Second one he charges when he should have bodied up and played position. English's feet and speed are too quick for that. Am sure 44 would like a redo on that play but I'm glad he doesn't get one.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Cuse beating UVA despite Shellenberger toying with them and Cuse scoring 18 despite Spallina being invisible tells me a few things.

Cuse is deep offensively and UVA D is undisciplined. Right now Cavs playing ivy D giving up 18 two weeks in a row . Sorry, couldn't resist

As noted by Finster , Wayer too precoocupied with getting upfield to unit detriment and a few others were too often out of position .UVA D personnel too good to be this mediocre .Watched Duke slice them up last week . Cassesse needs to quickly address their ways . Powell monotone voice hard to listen to but his insight and critique on field play is missed

UVA attack did give Cuse d problems as #1 separated too easily and was given too much cushion allowing for good looks inside. Perhaps consider switch in cover if teams meet again this year. Mark faced a lot of shots again, not his strongest game but came up when needed as usual. Having a AA goalie and two competent fogos makes anything possible . Dwan should be a AA this year . Thought Caccamo played well especially with help

Potent offense getting off 57 shots despite Spallina taken out buy fellow soph,.Hiltz isn't receiving proper recognition, been brilliant after a slow start to season. Carc is right about his wrists and quick release, they may be best in the game. Thomson shooting has been much improved and staff has been rewarded by sticking with him during struggles . Stevens does everything , not only fills a box but making plays that swings games . English had a good game that likely goes unnoticed . Leo is Leo , a pure talent . Hottie showed off wheels that could be employed more .

Wasn't just the win but how Cuse won by came back from 3 down late in 4q overcoming a strong 2h performance by Nunes. No quit and appeared to wear down UVA with greater depth . 0ptimistic going into ACC and NCAA
Finster

Post by Finster »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:10 am

First one I think he's hanging back waiting for an outlet pass thinking the GK is going to come up with the ball. Then it's off to races on a fast break. Can't really find a whole lot of fault on that play.
Second one he charges when he should have bodied up and played position. English's feet and speed are too quick for that. Am sure 44 would like a redo on that play but I'm glad he doesn't get one.

Agreed on second one. Just no mans land after a tepid stick check, then drifts further and further from the play.

On the first one, my thought is UVA is up a goal, they need defense not a fast break; they could settle in for a clear, taking even more time off the clock. First things first, control the ball. I agree he’s looking for the fast break, but had he instead gone to the scrum, Dwan doesn’t come away that cleanly with the ball and a free (over the shoulder) shot.
Finster

Post by Finster »

stupefied wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:55 am Cuse beating UVA despite Shellenberger toying with them and Cuse scoring 18 despite Spallina being invisible tells me a few things.

Cuse is deep offensively and UVA D is undisciplined. Right now Cavs playing ivy D giving up 18 two weeks in a row . Sorry, couldn't resist

As noted by Finster , Wayer too precoocupied with getting upfield to unit detriment and a few others were too often out of position .UVA D personnel too good to be this mediocre .Watched Duke slice them up last week . Cassesse needs to quickly address their ways . Powell monotone voice hard to listen to but his insight and critique on field play is missed

UVA attack did give Cuse d problems as #1 separated too easily and was given too much cushion allowing for good looks inside. Perhaps consider switch in cover if teams meet again this year. Mark faced a lot of shots again, not his strongest game but came up when needed as usual. Having a AA goalie and two competent fogos makes anything possible . Dwan should be a AA this year . Thought Caccamo played well especially with help

Potent offense getting off 57 shots despite Spallina taken out buy fellow soph,.Hiltz isn't receiving proper recognition, been brilliant after a slow start to season. Carc is right about his wrists and quick release, they may be best in the game. Thomson shooting has been much improved and staff has been rewarded by sticking with him during struggles . Stevens does everything , not only fills a box but making plays that swings games . English had a good game that likely goes unnoticed . Leo is Leo , a pure talent . Hottie showed off wheels that could be employed more .

Wasn't just the win but how Cuse won by came back from 3 down late in 4q overcoming a strong 2h performance by Nunes. No quit and appeared to wear down UVA with greater depth . 0ptimistic going into ACC and NCAA

^^^^Lots of good points in here.

I didn’t mention what you did, but you are correct: Mark came on strong in critical moments, Nunes less so.

I’m focused more on UVA’s defense not for fun but because they really seem incredibly disorganized. 44’s field choices on those two Syracuse goals is inexcusable, definitely not D1.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

NYlax222 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:08 pm Super exciting games - some remarkable individual plays, great hustle, and, amazingly, most of thread discussion about Spallina. Not sure why folks so keen to point out he's not ready for the Tewarton, and not sure why Cuse fans so intensely feel the need to insist we all think he's better than he is. Cuse Just had arguably best win in many years, and, some cuse fans seem most concerned about defending an individual (22) rather than celebrating team achievement.
to all those who spend time watching a single player - you missed a very exciting game. Try watching the game again. Spallina draws a long to his side of the field, stretching the UVA defense towards that half of the field, leaving a bunch of room for the leftie shooter, Shoa, and a few other guys who scored goals from the other side of the field. Not only do you reveal your utter lack of understanding of any athletic contest, you provoke posters to argue about Spallina's talent, when the it is the least interesting of all the possible topics stimulated by this game. This was exciting lacrosse, the kind the Gait, Nelson, Colsey played so well. I have more to say but I think instead, I'll watch the game again.
a fan

Post by a fan »

sholokov2 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:45 pm
to all those who spend time watching a single player - you missed a very exciting game. Try watching the game again. Spallina draws a long to his side of the field, stretching the UVA defense towards that half of the field, leaving a bunch of room for the leftie shooter, Shoa, and a few other guys who scored goals from the other side of the field. Not only do you reveal your utter lack of understanding of any athletic contest, you provoke posters to argue about Spallina's talent, when the it is the least interesting of all the possible topics stimulated by this game. This was exciting lacrosse, the kind the Gait, Nelson, Colsey played so well. I have more to say but I think instead, I'll watch the game again.
I'm sure you remember, but Burns won the Turnbull in 1990. Why? Because the Gaits and Maracheck stretched the field so much, that the crafty Burns absolutely lit other teams up. I'm thrilled that Spallina is letting the game come to him, and let the attack come from other places. Mark of a team player, if you ask me. And what did the scoreboard say at the end, right?

These guys are wasting their time yelling at us fans. Yell at the media or Tewey committee.

Anyone who has followed the sport for a good amount of time knows perfectly well that these AA, Tewey, whatever, awards are always weighted toward the high-profile programs vs. less heralded ones. I think it stinks, too. But don't yell at us......we're not the ones casting votes. I think Schellenberger is a generational talent, too. But my opinion is meaningless.
Finster

Post by Finster »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:06 pm
I'm sure you remember, but Burns won the Turnbull in 1990. Why? Because the Gaits and Maracheck stretched the field so much, that the crafty Burns absolutely lit other teams up. I'm thrilled that Spallina is letting the game come to him, and let the attack come from other places. Mark of a team player, if you ask me. And what did the scoreboard say at the end, right?

These guys are wasting their time yelling at us fans. Yell at the media or Tewey committee.

Anyone who has followed the sport for a good amount of time knows perfectly well that these AA, Tewey, whatever, awards are always weighted toward the high-profile programs vs. less heralded ones. I think it stinks, too. But don't yell at us......we're not the ones casting votes. I think Schellenberger is a generational talent, too. But my opinion is meaningless.

^^^^this is another good post.

I hadn’t considered that observation of yours, that Spallina is allowing the game to come to him rather than forcing the issue, but I think you’re on to what’s changed here, to the great benefit of the team.

Good point.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Agree that UVA 2 man play was atrocious all day. They got burned 2-3x by English/thomson playing pairs on the wing within like 2 minutes.

As far as the bit about #44, that’s been UVAs m.o. forever. They want to get up and out in transition, it was highlighted on the scout every time you played them.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:29 pm

I hadn’t considered that observation of yours, that Spallina is allowing the game to come to him rather than forcing the issue, but I think you’re on to what’s changed here, to the great benefit of the team.

Good point.
I say that because I remember how some were ripping him last year for forcing the play, and forcing himself into bad shots.

Well....he stopped doing that, yeah? And the team is better for it. Let the game come to you, and all that. Now there are multiple attack points, which to me, is better than running the offense through one guy. Shutting down one guy is usually easier than shutting down three or four.
Finster

Post by Finster »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:08 pm

Good point.
I say that because I remember how some were ripping him last year for forcing the play, and forcing himself into bad shots.

Well....he stopped doing that, yeah? And the team is better for it. Let the game come to you, and all that. Now there are multiple attack points, which to me, is better than running the offense through one guy. Shutting down one guy is usually easier than shutting down three or four.

+1
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

laxlax29 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:02 am

It’s been that way for awhile. In 22 when the Terps absolutely tore them up, they absolutely exposed this with their quick passing. The UVA defenders just don’t play disciplined team defense. And any offense that can draw a slide and pass it off exposes this.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Good point.
This has been his MO. When he faces an all american level defender (like what he saw against Army, Duke, ND, and UVA) he tests the matchup once or twice, realizes he’s overmatched, and then gives up on initiating and becomes a pass through player. It’s less “letting the game come to him” and more “let other guys make plays because he can’t beat his man.”

The difference between him and the top offensive players is that the those players don’t face many, if any, matchups where they feel overmatched.

I will give him props that he is very self aware. By giving up on initiating, he lets the offense find a better matchup to attack, and this offense is deep with options. I think people just find it comical that he mercilessly attacks and hunts points against weak defensive teams while disappearing in tough matchups.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”