Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BlueJaySince1947

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:14 am Q takes shots at everyone. He's kinda weird and quirky. He was a goalie...
Non-Hopkins Q haters call him a supreme JHU homer amongst homers. Hopkins Q haters call him a supreme JHU hater amongst haters. It's strange. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle?
Q the K has had a hair up his ass since he graduated.
A great goalie but something early on tweaked him and I've long wondered what it could have been. My thought is that he expected a coaching offer that never materialized.
When Collison scored the winning goal against PSU you could sense from his silence he was thinking " turd Hopkins won "...
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:02 am Raposo played in 4 games in 2021 so it would appear a medical red-shirt is the option if it occurred (unless there are unknown extenuating circumstances) .
Hopkins played in 13 games in '21 so he appeared in 30% of the games
However, his last appearance was April 4 against Michigan which was exactly the 7th game of the season - the mid point of the season

So it is right up against the lines of the rules as I see them which are:

According to the NCAA rules, in order to be granted a medical redshirt, the athlete must: Suffer an injury that is deemed “season-ending” Their injury must occur before the halfway point of the season and not participate in more than 30% of the season's games. That is kind of eerie. If it had to occur BEFORE the halfway point then that looks like an issue. Also, does the fact that the last 3 games were tournament games figure into it at all? I.e. if Hopkins had lost to Penn State in the first round of the tournament he would have played in 37% of the games and clearly would have been past the midpoint of an 11 game season.
First order of business for 2025 and most important was PM earning the extension last spring. I'm sure he, JC, JK and team have been thinking about this upcoming offseason for years and have known for awhile where the kids with eligibility left stand.

JK doesn't do interviews, but it's shocking that of all the places the program hasn't won lately Columbus is at the top of the list. Rich Rodriquez type stuff.

This piece said more about QK, Baker, and PM then we're going to add here or off his broadcasts.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... mage/62498

Smith won defensive player of the week. Probably won't ever get the honors Durkin got but he had a much taller hill to climb with where the program was when he started. Worth noting for the UNC guys that read this that while he, martin, and a few others were petro guys aviles, kilrain, ierlan, and szuluk were not.

I don't really follow the women but they seem to be doing ok under their new guy
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eeds/63052

Superfan has gone from regular broadcast feature to zeroed out.

It's hard to believe that Schellenberger with half his childhood basement still pained blue jay blue gave up on Hopkins because of watching Brown but he wasn't under oath for this interview. Lacrosse like most sports journalists are awful at follow ups. Seeing him come up short at Klockner earlier this spring was extremely satisfying.

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... -superstar
a fan

Post by a fan »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:14 am Q takes shots at everyone. He's kinda weird and quirky. He was a goalie...
Non-Hopkins Q haters call him a supreme JHU homer amongst homers. Hopkins Q haters call him a supreme JHU hater amongst haters. It's strange. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle?
+1

Or maybe folks should relax, and enjoy his game calls, and stop getting worked up because (horrors!) the man has different opinions than the one's they have.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:31 am
A great goalie but something early on tweaked him and I've long wondered what it could have been. My thought is that he expected a coaching offer that never materialized.
When Collison scored the winning goal against PSU you could sense from his silence he was thinking " turd Hopkins won "...
I'd love to see where people say he is a homer for the program. But in more important matters, onwards to OSU
a fan

Post by a fan »

norcalhop wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:29 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:31 am
I'd love to see where people say he is a homer for the program. But in more important matters, onwards to OSU
The laxpower days, when other teams had active pages.....SU, UVa, UMd would all gripe here and there about his favoritism of Hopkins.

Same silliness happens with claiming "home cooking" at Hopkins or the Dome, or wherever. It's what fans do...and NONE of it is real.

And then there were the people who were po'ed because most Hopkins games would be on ESPN channels, and many D1 teams not being on even once. Like that was some vast conspiracy, instead of a ratings call made by producers trying to sell advertising.
molo

Post by molo »

There are Virginia fans on their message board who instantly that Q hates UVA, too. I don’t see it. He’s prettier objective.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:17 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:43 pm I must imagine it too - here's another recent example. A guy posted the goal highlights from the Penn State game and I couldn't help but notice the following. Go back and listen to the audio after Costin ties it at 8 - immediately there is a big "OOOOOhhhh" from the color announcer. Now contrast that to when Collison scores the OT goal and Cotter says "Collison wins it for Hopkins" - it is a full 47 seconds before another word is uttered and it ia a very bland "Jays win this with defense blah blah blah" Now again - he certainly wasn't wrong at all - but the tone after those two goals was markedly different.
On a similar note, Quint literally did not say a single word from when there was 19 seconds left in the UVA game through the end of the broadcast. Someone here picked up on it at the time and I'm surprised it wasn't discussed more. When the clock hits zero there is 35 seconds of silence from the broadcast booth while the Jays are celebrating, then the play-by-play guy cuts back in to sign off. Still nothing from Q. I understand letting the moment speak for itself — sometimes less is more — but he quite literally does not speak a word. I've got to be honest I've never seen anything like that before. The last we hear from him is him criticizing Bauer for not shooting on the empty net out of the timeout. That was his final word on the Jays victory in Charlottesville.

Can watch it back here, I've tee'd it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dje7LYgdf1I&t=6325s
I think I know what happened here. The broadcast was late to a switch to college baseball. The network was going to cut away at any time. If Quint started speaking, he could be cut off in the middle of his remarks. They must have given the play-by-play guy the cue to wrap things up … he signs off while QK remains silent … cut away to college baseball.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:43 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:41 pm Quint being more fair with the program has everything to do with the staffing changes.
I always thought - based upon game calls and the times QK would be part of a interview with Petro - that the relationship wasn't as warm and fuzzy as you might think for teammates that won a title together and competed in one of the best finals ever. For example, there was NO way David would be happy with anybody calling his defensive schemes "soft" which Quint continually did in the latter half of the tenure. I was then mildly surprised at Q's reaction to the events of April, 2020 when he didn't appear to support the moves at all.

I must imagine it too - here's another recent example. A guy posted the goal highlights from the Penn State game and I couldn't help but notice the following. Go back and listen to the audio after Costin ties it at 8 - immediately there is a big "OOOOOhhhh" from the color announcer. Now contrast that to when Collison scores the OT goal and Cotter says "Collison wins it for Hopkins" - it is a full 47 seconds before another word is uttered and it ia a very bland "Jays win this with defense blah blah blah" Now again - he certainly wasn't wrong at all - but the tone after those two goals was markedly different.
After rewatching my recording of this game, I think I know why Quint was silent after Collison won the game in OT.

Quint must have been watching the replay of (1) the Penn State turnover in OT, and (2) Collison’s goal.

After the silence, Quint comes back and starts discussing the replays. First he explains what happened on the Penn State turnover (Hopkins defender never touched the ball, but his stick impaired the Penn State player’s view of the ball). Then he comments on Bauer’s assist and Collison’s goal.

I am pretty sure about why Quint was silent after Collison’s OT goal … he was watching the replays so he could comment on them.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:17 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:43 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:41 pm Quint being more fair with the program has everything to do with the staffing changes.
I always thought - based upon game calls and the times QK would be part of a interview with Petro - that the relationship wasn't as warm and fuzzy as you might think for teammates that won a title together and competed in one of the best finals ever. For example, there was NO way David would be happy with anybody calling his defensive schemes "soft" which Quint continually did in the latter half of the tenure. I was then mildly surprised at Q's reaction to the events of April, 2020 when he didn't appear to support the moves at all.

I must imagine it too - here's another recent example. A guy posted the goal highlights from the Penn State game and I couldn't help but notice the following. Go back and listen to the audio after Costin ties it at 8 - immediately there is a big "OOOOOhhhh" from the color announcer. Now contrast that to when Collison scores the OT goal and Cotter says "Collison wins it for Hopkins" - it is a full 47 seconds before another word is uttered and it ia a very bland "Jays win this with defense blah blah blah" Now again - he certainly wasn't wrong at all - but the tone after those two goals was markedly different.
After rewatching my recording of this game, I think I know why Quint was silent after Collison won the game in OT.

Quint must have been watching the replay of (1) the Penn State turnover in OT, and (2) Collison’s goal.

After the silence, Quint comes back and starts discussing the replays. First he explains what happened on the Penn State turnover (Hopkins defender never touched the ball, but his stick impaired the Penn State player’s view of the ball). Then he comments on Bauer’s assist and Collison’s goal.

I am pretty sure about why Quint was silent after Collison’s OT goal … he was watching the replays so he could comment on them.

DocBarrister
You might be right, Doc. That said, he is in the entertainment business. His job is to help draw eyeballs through his participation in the event. The home team wins a big top 10 matchup during homecoming in OT and he is watching replays and staying silent rather than hyping the excitement felt by the teams, fans in the stands, and TV viewers? I didn't watch this one on TV, so I'm not sure what happened, but if he was truly silent, he's not doing his job very well.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Tough crowd. I do think Q has been overly critical of Hopkins, in an attempt to come across as unbiased, at least under the previous regime. But going radio silent in the last few seconds after a Sudden Death Victory shot can be good TV. Some of us old folks, may remember one of the best announcers ever, Al Michaels and his call, "Do you believe in Miracles?" at the end of the game. But listen to the tape, there is no Michals talking over the player and fan jubilation.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0WNVhbEDsAU
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Providence Coach Bob Benson
Former JHU player and coach

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ce-e2i8v81
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/63056

I don't remember how they got Kilrain only that hf16 really talked him up but he's been a big part of this season. No Maryland names on that list and only 1 each from OSU/PSU/Michigan/Rutgers. UNC and Navy look like they've got long term faceoff answers. Interesting how PM/JK address the faceoff next summer on top of this years situation. Not sure how the scholarships/NIL/financial aid thing works out but 22 seniors and grad students must be a heck of a financial puzzle for them to solve this year and big money coming off the books for next fall.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

LaxAllStars wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:23 pm Providence Coach Bob Benson

Nadelen was my choice to replace petro. He's having the better year than Benson (a blue jay qk actually loves although he was really really critical of his recruiting, personnel usage and offenses for years) and just got a big us team job.

There was a lot of conversation a long time ago about Seth Tierney's departure being the root of a lot of the post Harrison problems and Hofstra again isn't having much success. Raymond-who was really popular as a student, and Marr were also names floated by some for the Petro job and their teams are not having great years although I don't follow them much.
Brewj

Post by Brewj »

Since the ranks of QK defenders are always thin in these threads, I'm coming out of the woodwork simply to declare support for Quint, who has been one of my favorite lacrosse broadcasters since I began watching the game in 2001. I personally think he does a great job, and it's clear (at least to me) that he works hard to provide insightful, unbiased, professional commentary. The only person I'd rather have on color is Ryan Boyle. A lot of people here are hard on him for reasons I don't understand or agree with (perhaps some of you guys have additional context through your alumni connection), but count me on the other side of the ledger as a supporter and fan.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxAllStars wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:23 pm Providence Coach Bob Benson

Coach Bob “Don’t-Call-Me-Bobby” Benson is having a real nice second season up in Providence. His team is 4-5, but has notable wins over Brown and Villanova.

Quint’s interview was all over the place, and I wish he had discussed the Providence team more and Coach Benson’s vision for the future.

Still, good to catch up with Coach Benson. Best wishes to him for continued success.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Brewj wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:15 am Since the ranks of QK defenders are always thin in these threads, I'm coming out of the woodwork simply to declare support for Quint, who has been one of my favorite lacrosse broadcasters since I began watching the game in 2001. I personally think he does a great job, and it's clear (at least to me) that he works hard to provide insightful, unbiased, professional commentary. The only person I'd rather have on color is Ryan Boyle. A lot of people here are hard on him for reasons I don't understand or agree with (perhaps some of you guys have additional context through your alumni connection), but count me on the other side of the ledger as a supporter and fan.
3 posts to date - is this Quint? :lol:
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:11 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:02 am Raposo played in 4 games in 2021 so it would appear a medical red-shirt is the option if it occurred (unless there are unknown extenuating circumstances) .
Hopkins played in 13 games in '21 so he appeared in 30% of the games
However, his last appearance was April 4 against Michigan which was exactly the 7th game of the season - the mid point of the season

So it is right up against the lines of the rules as I see them which are:

According to the NCAA rules, in order to be granted a medical redshirt, the athlete must: Suffer an injury that is deemed “season-ending” Their injury must occur before the halfway point of the season and not participate in more than 30% of the season's games. That is kind of eerie. If it had to occur BEFORE the halfway point then that looks like an issue. Also, does the fact that the last 3 games were tournament games figure into it at all? I.e. if Hopkins had lost to Penn State in the first round of the tournament he would have played in 37% of the games and clearly would have been past the midpoint of an 11 game season.
First order of business for 2025 and most important was PM earning the extension last spring. I'm sure he, JC, JK and team have been thinking about this upcoming offseason for years and have known for awhile where the kids with eligibility left stand.

JK doesn't do interviews, but it's shocking that of all the places the program hasn't won lately Columbus is at the top of the list. Rich Rodriquez type stuff.
JK doesn’t do interviews??

I take it you don’t follow Hopkins Athletics anywhere on social media. JK doesn’t mind being interviewed or the attention
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Important game coming up with Ohio State.

From my guestimate, Blue Jays need one more win (any one win) to ensure a berth in the NCAA tournament. Without one more win, I think the Blue Jays become a bubble team with a resume.

I think this is still the scenario for Hopkins:

1 win = NCAA tournament spot
2 wins = top 7 to 8 seed and first round home game
3 wins = top 3 to 6 seed
4 wins = top 2 seed

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:13 pm Important game coming up with Ohio State.

From my guestimate, Blue Jays need one more win (any one win) to ensure a berth in the NCAA tournament. Without one more win, I think the Blue Jays become a bubble team with a resume.

I think this is still the scenario for Hopkins:

1 win = NCAA tournament spot
2 wins = top 7 to 8 seed and first round home game
3 wins = top 3 to 6 seed
4 wins = top 2 seed

DocBarrister
At the start of the season and for the first time in recent memory I couldn’t see where a lot of the losses would come from. I certainly didn’t have them losing to Denve or Navy but I did give the edge to Maryland. That was then and this is now. If they play to their abilities I don’t see them losing the next two or in the conference tournament.
Brewj

Post by Brewj »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:05 am
Brewj wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:15 am Since the ranks of QK defenders are always thin in these threads, I'm coming out of the woodwork simply to declare support for Quint, who has been one of my favorite lacrosse broadcasters since I began watching the game in 2001. I personally think he does a great job, and it's clear (at least to me) that he works hard to provide insightful, unbiased, professional commentary. The only person I'd rather have on color is Ryan Boyle. A lot of people here are hard on him for reasons I don't understand or agree with (perhaps some of you guys have additional context through your alumni connection), but count me on the other side of the ledger as a supporter and fan.
3 posts to date - is this Quint? :lol:
Nah just a long time lurker dating back to the laxpower days. Finally decided to join the discussion.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”