Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 10stone5 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:23 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:06 pm Penn State left Collison uncovered :lol:
Sliding from the crease there was kind of a fundmental screw-up. Thanks, PSU!
:lol:
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:10 pm Dylan Bauer's playmaking opened up the offense, got the D rotating and tired, gave us better looks all over the place and forced Fracyon to make saves off ball movement instead of getting to stare down iso dodges. 3 enormous game-changing assists for a player 06 wanted to bench last year

Outside of two admittedly bad switches on Malone, the defense was absolutely unbelievable. All three close defensemen should be All-Americans. Martin and Jaronski were just terrific

Szuluk avenged last year's blown clear in overtime with the game-winning CT to get the offense the ball back. Seniors and grad students making huge plays all over the place. Great day to be a Jay.
Ierlan making a good AA case as well
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:20 pm Program record 14 caused turnovers. Kilrain and Szuluk had 3 each

Jays only had 9 turnovers

Hugely poised effort in the second half.

FOR THE TIME BEING, Hopkins is #1 in the RPI. The winner of ND-Duke tomorrow will take over that spot. But we will be #2 or #3 by the end of the weekend at worst.
Smith, Martin, and Deans had 2 CTs each. That’s just nuts. :shock:

Ierlan is one of the best goalies in college lacrosse now. Sixteen saves on 24 Penn State SOGs … a nifty 66.7% save percentage. :o

Bauer coming through with 1 goal and 3 assists.

Callahan ekes out a “win” on faceoffs (11-10).

I think this Hopkins offense has another gear in them. The D is now good enough to win it all.

If the O can take that next step (especially the Big Guys … Collison, Peshko, and Grimes), the Blue Jays will be a real contender for a national championship.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Up
Jameson-Stellar day today. He's had a remarkable 4 years not just with what he's done with the defense but how he's help transition the program to a new era
Collison-I don't have the stats but feels like he scores a disproportionate number of his goals late.
Stayed out of the penalty box-Smith has to feel like he got justice for the denver penalty
Ierlan
Bauer-He's had games like this every 3-4 weeks for a few years now where he turns into angelus helping conduct everything and they really help.
Faceoff adjustments-2 weeks in a row and they've made the changes
McDermott-he's been all over the lineup in his career but he's always effective when he gets run
The ride-very effective
Transition d
Degnon-He eventually found "It". One of the most consistent players in program history.
Penn State was 1/2 in the conference in assists/gbs/man down/opp clearing percentage/points per game/scoring offense/shooting percentage and their numbers today in all of those areas were worse than their season averages
Szuluk-he's really come on big this year. Kilrain is a freshman, Smith has his hands all kind of full and they've needed him to really provide the stability and he's done it.
Jay Dyer-another one of the big ten alpha athletics programs with facilities and toys that would make Ivan Drago and Rocky blush and his charges held up physically and penn state seemed to wear down defensively late.
Ince/Raposo-I thought they held up nicely
Portal-Ierlan, Szuluk, Kilrain, Aviles all kids who were not original Hopkins recruits. Steubner is depth.

Down
Crawley-An anemic first 3 quarters of offense. It was too easy for fracyon. Feels like Collison is too often the last option at times.
Peshko-It wasn't there for him today after a few really really nice games. Seemed to not have his confidence today
Wings-Love Smith but they need him healthy and someone else in there grinding
Kilrain-seemed to struggle with the 2 man game, he'll learn
Aviles-Has had a really nice year but today there were slips. His experience, ruggedness and cto stuff will be needed going forward.

Whatever
Sort of a rough day for martin at points but they desperately needed a guy like him forever and he's been a pleasure to watch.
Barring a disaster I think they clinch a big ten bye with a win next week which sets up the maryland game as one to win the regular season conference title. Can't overlook the buckeys though.
Very happy for those 22 seniors. When I was a student "progress" was winning 1 or 2 or 0 more games than the previous season just to win a title and they've taken this program from the pandemic abyss back to national relevance.
Too bad Pjs is gone, these were the weekends and nights made for that place.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Great game. Only nit from my POV was the team was playing not to lose vs playing to win (with about 2 minutes left, they stalled that possession and did not generate any type of offense) during second to last possession of regulation when they were up by 1.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:06 pm Great game. Only nit from my POV was the team was playing not to lose vs playing to win (with about 2 minutes left, they stalled that possession and did not generate any type of offense) during second to last possession of regulation when they were up by 1.
Milliman or Crawley I forget talked in the past about wanting to work deep into possessions to get matchups but today it felt like they just couldn't get the offense going because of the penn state defense and work fracyon was doing. There also wasn't much in transition which was surprising because usually when you're playing sound defense, your goalie is humming as ierlan was, and you've got ssdms that know how to go up the field you're getting breaks the other way.

Back to the smurf comment, collison was caught on d late in the 3rd or 4th and held up well I thought in a possession that turned into a penn state turnover.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

5,840 attendance. Maryland game could sell out (~8.5k) if the weather's nice
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:35 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:06 pm Great game. Only nit from my POV was the team was playing not to lose vs playing to win (with about 2 minutes left, they stalled that possession and did not generate any type of offense) during second to last possession of regulation when they were up by 1.
Milliman or Crawley I forget talked in the past about wanting to work deep into possessions to get matchups but today it felt like they just couldn't get the offense going because of the penn state defense and work fracyon was doing. There also wasn't much in transition which was surprising because usually when you're playing sound defense, your goalie is humming as ierlan was, and you've got ssdms that know how to go up the field you're getting breaks the other way.

Back to the smurf comment, collison was caught on d late in the 3rd or 4th and held up well I thought in a possession that turned into a penn state turnover.
Yes, not much was working today until late
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

With a win next week against Ohio State, I think the Blue Jays would clinch an NCAA tournament bid.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
molo

Post by molo »

Certainly headed that way.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

molo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:37 pm Certainly headed that way.
I would guess:

(1) any single win—NCAA tournament bid
(2) any two wins—top 8 seed and first round home game
(3) any three wins—top 3 or 4 seed
(4) any four wins (B1G champions)—top 2 seed

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I get that's what QK was saying - but I don't think it's fair. The reality is that the Jays had a hard time generating offenses FOR THE ENTIRE GAME. They didn't suddenly start playing stall ball when they were up by one. The whole game was a struggle offensively. Those possessions were as well. I don't think there was any intent to take the air out of the ball.

Also, there are some games where bad offense is confused for good defense and good defense is confused for bad offense. I don't think either of the offensives was particularly bad today. The Jays, in particular, were pretty good. There weren't a bunch of unforced turnovers, failures to throw and catch, etc. I just think both teams played really good defense and got really good goaltending and as a result, we ended up with a low-scoring affair.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

[quote=jhu06 post_id=53667
Down
Kilrain-seemed to struggle with the 2 man game, he'll learn
[/quote]

are you kidding me????? Kid probably played the best 60 minutes of defensive lacrosse by a freshman that I can recall. On the BIG 10 POY not to mention. He should be BIG freshman of the week and BIG Defensive player of the week and I dont have to see the Rutgers Michigan game. He didn't stay with Malone on the picks because that was what he was told to do. Don't you think after Malone roasted the first shortie and it was Kilrains fault that Koesterer would have grabed him by the jersey and said :Son if you dont fight through the picks when 7 has the ball.... He did exactly what he was supposed to do. It is a gift from the gods - that kid can play.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Have to agree with 51 — Kilrain's work on-ball vs. Malone was outstanding. If you watched that matchup without knowing who he was, there's no way you'd ever think he was a freshman. Ask your bookies if they accept bets on future Schmeisser winners.

Stoebner came up a little gimpy after a late scrum and had a wrap on his knee postgame. Didn't look like it was serious, but if he has to miss any time, perhaps they get CB11 back in the mix. He was credited with an appearance in the box score but I don't remember seeing him.

Chayse's play has been so solid week in and week out that I feel like he often gets taken for granted. He went toe-to-toe with arguably the best goalie in the country today. He's been outdueling top goalies all season long. Such an impact addition, and the guys love him.

Szuluk is about to pass Tucker Durkin's program record for caused turnovers.

A win next weekend locks up at least a share of the Big Ten regular season title for the second year in a row. It was not that long ago that people were saying the Jays could not compete in this conference with the "big football schools." Whoops.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:33 pm
I get that's what QK was saying - but I don't think it's fair. The reality is that the Jays had a hard time generating offenses FOR THE ENTIRE GAME. They didn't suddenly start playing stall ball when they were up by one. The whole game was a struggle offensively. Those possessions were as well. I don't think there was any intent to take the air out of the ball.

Also, there are some games where bad offense is confused for good defense and good defense is confused for bad offense. I don't think either of the offensives was particularly bad today. The Jays, in particular, were pretty good. There weren't a bunch of unforced turnovers, failures to throw and catch, etc. I just think both teams played really good defense and got really good goaltending and as a result, we ended up with a low-scoring affair.
While agreed for the majority of the game, they very clearly werent attacking and generated a poor poor possession at that point. 2 Penn state close defensive starters were out for the game. Not a great sign if the team couldn't beat their man.

Highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2KLjlMAaTU

Difference is outside shots by degnon and others were falling late.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:29 pm

While agreed for the majority of the game, they very clearly werent attacking and generated a poor poor possession at that point. 2 Penn state close defensive starters were out for the game. Not a great sign if the team couldn't beat their man.

Contrary to posted info before the game, Posey and Parnham both played. Posey, the entire game.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:17 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:29 pm

Contrary to posted info before the game, Posey and Parnham both played. Posey, the entire game.
Good to know and a better sign for the team to have a breakthrough in the late stages of the game.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

They're in the ncaa tournament. They lose the next 3 and they're 8-6 with wins over uva, penn state, michigan, georgetown, et al.

Cotter said at the end of the broadcast it was the last win in the last possession in 6 years. doesn't seem right but oh well.

Apparently haven't won in Columbus since 2002.
https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... o-state/90

A win over ohio state clinches a big ten tournament first round bye. A win plus a maryland loss next week clinches the conference regular season title. Worst they can do right now is finish 4th in the conference and get a first round big ten home game.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:13 am They're in the ncaa tournament. They lose the next 3 and they're 8-6 with wins over uva, penn state, michigan, georgetown, et al.

Cotter said at the end of the broadcast it was the last win in the last possession in 6 years. doesn't seem right but oh well.

Apparently haven't won in Columbus since 2002.
https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... o-state/90

A win over ohio state clinches a big ten tournament first round bye. A win plus a maryland loss next week clinches the conference regular season title. Worst they can do right now is finish 4th in the conference and get a first round big ten home game.
https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... iversity/1

Hm, not sure how to parse that cotter comment, but agreed that it doesn't seem right based on the above results.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Dumb realization late, but it just dawned on me Hopkins is the only private school in this lax BIG conference. BIG in general is all public as well save for Northwestern and I suppose USC now.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”