Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PulpExposure

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by PulpExposure »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:44 amPSU did cover him with a shorty and got away with it because of the double team support. He's done an excellent job of finding the open guy from that post move, he's just not getting the shot for himself as much. For the opponents, it is a win to be able to free up a pole on someone else, when he really should be one of the guys drawing a pole.
I watched the game again (on double speed) after I saw you post this originally, and he was covered by Grant Haus (AA SSDM) for the first part of the game, but then with a LSM the rest of it. I don't think that's a massive indictment btw, because they seem to trust Haus an awful lot. I mean...they had Haus on Erksa when Erksa scored. It's not like Spanos only draws a shortie - he's like the one middie who will draw the pole consistently.

I'd actually like him to be a little more selfish. He has the best shooting percentage on the team, by quite a bit (he's at 46.4%, next up is Maltz at 40.8%) but he's only 6th in shots on goal. Dan Kelly has taken one more shot, and his shooting percentage isn't even half of Spanos's (it's at...22.2%....).
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

13 Terps will be honored postgame for Senior Day: Eric Malever, Gabe Goforth, Jack Koras, Alex Wicks, Ajax Zappitello, Daniel Kelly, Nick Redd, Jack McDonald, Owen Murphy, Nick Alviti, Jackson Canfield, Griffin King and Colin Sharkey.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:51 pm 13 Terps will be honored postgame for Senior Day: Eric Malever, Gabe Goforth, Jack Koras, Alex Wicks, Ajax Zappitello, Daniel Kelly, Nick Redd, Jack McDonald, Owen Murphy, Nick Alviti, Jackson Canfield, Griffin King and Colin Sharkey.
Malever and Canfield will take their RS years (Canfield missed a year at UVM). I think Murphy has one more year, too.

Looks like they're being technical here with "senior."
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:15 am
AreaLax wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:51 pm 13 Terps will be honored postgame for Senior Day: Eric Malever, Gabe Goforth, Jack Koras, Alex Wicks, Ajax Zappitello, Daniel Kelly, Nick Redd, Jack McDonald, Owen Murphy, Nick Alviti, Jackson Canfield, Griffin King and Colin Sharkey.
Malever and Canfield will take their RS years (Canfield missed a year at UVM). I think Murphy has one more year, too.

McNaney? Has has not shown up in the mock PLL drafts
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:31 am
Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:15 am

McNaney? Has has not shown up in the mock PLL drafts
He's got a redshirt year if he wants it from the knee injury.
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Think McNaney has one more each of gradschool & eligibility
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Never have seen someone stuffed more at the crease then than Kelly. Bringing back 2023 memories
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

This team is so careless with the ball sometimes it's aggravating.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

“That does not surprise me Ben” 😂😂. Not sure if anyone else heard that on the broadcast
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

This is so painful to watch, their O scares no one.
Last edited by Big Easy Lax on Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:39 pm “That does not surprise me Ben” 😂😂. Not sure if anyone else heard that on the broadcast
There is no more inevitable and obvious outcome than MD behind the goal with a defender hung up with 10 seconds on the clock
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Great win. Great defense. Unbelievable #1. Great Spanos. Great Wierman. Great pole goals. Lots of zeros and below on offense.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Maryland holds on 8-7. Spanos with 4 (and they poled him ;)), 2 pole goals, Siracusa and Erksa with the others.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Just win baby.

Lining up nicely for a B1G championship which is a huge coaching achievement with this group.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I've been terrified of that game for weeks for basically....well, everything we saw. I know Ohio State has the Michigan "rivalry", but this is the game on the schedule they want the most. Both teams have great defenses and...well, the offenses we saw. It was built to be pure trench warfare and come down to making a final stop or getting a last goal. Thankfully they got it.

2 more transition goals. They don't win the game without them. Need to keep it up and keep working on it, it will be a huge added wrinkle and boost for this team down the stretch if they can keep it up.

McNaney seems to be back in a good groove, obviously the vast majority of saves he had to make today were easy, but honestly that could be just as important to getting his confidence back. Played really well, that's the best 5-6 quarters of lacrosse he's played since probably the Cuse-Princeton games.

Similar with that, great Wierman game. About a game and a half now where they've been able to put the formula back together that you want to see from this team, great defense, great FO play, great goalie play. Add in clearing with that.....except for of course the one at the end. It's about timeliness as much as overall effectiveness. You can't have that. But it's been much, much improved the last two weeks from where it was a month ago.

There's nothing really to say about the offense, this was going to be an ugly game, they have a great defense, it went as expected. Spanos was tremendous though, and they got the goals when they needed to get them.

Another Top 20 RPI win, above .500 in B1G play. Next week is the one you absolutely HAD to win ahead of conf play, so get that done and go into Homewood with the chance to win the league.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Did anyone see if Tillman and Myers talked like normal people before the game? Always nice to know that this kills the hothead on the inside.
That first OSU goal didn't look close to crossing the line. A replay may have killed Myers. Good that it didn't matter. This is 2 years in a row now that Myers has squandered a great defense.
Also, kind of an understated thing but to win on the road late Sunday night in an emotional way and then come back early Saturday for a tough win.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:01 pm Did anyone see if Tillman and Myers talked like normal people before the game? Always nice to know that this kills the hothead on the inside.
That first OSU goal didn't look close to crossing the line. A replay may have killed Myers. Good that it didn't matter.
I'm sure they were discussing proper glove protocol. :lol: :lol: :lol:
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Schaller needs to get his stick fixed or something. Just 2 awful passes at the most innopportune times. Tht one at the end of the game when all we had to do was clear it and he overthrough it giving Ohio state another opportunity with 1 minute. Its great they won but stuff like that has to be cleaned up or they will get waxed by a better team when the opportunity presents itself. Stobaugh looks nervous when hes out there
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:01 pm Did anyone see if Tillman and Myers talked like normal people before the game? Always nice to know that this kills the hothead on the inside.
That first OSU goal didn't look close to crossing the line. A replay may have killed Myers. Good that it didn't matter. This is 2 years in a row now that Myers has squandered a great defense.
Also, kind of an understated thing but to win on the road late Sunday night in an emotional way and then come back early Saturday for a tough win.
2 years in a row in this game that he squandered a great defensive performance; but their defense last year was horrible. We made their defense look good last year. This year they're legitimately far improved.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:05 pm Schaller needs to get his stick fixed or something. Just 2 awful passes at the most innopportune times. Tht one at the end of the game when all we had to do was clear it and he overthrough it giving Ohio state another opportunity with 1 minute. Its great they won but stuff like that has to be cleaned up or they will get waxed by a better team when the opportunity presents itself. Stobaugh looks nervous when hes out there
I think he's like Bam Bam...too strong for his own good sometimes. Gets some bad penalties because his normal check destroys smaller boys, and maybe hes got too much super-strength on his running passes. He's playing great though.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”