Baltimore: A Shining Star

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: Baltimore: A Shining Star

Post by runrussellrun »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:18 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:42 pm Not sure one or even three tugs would have been able to do anything for a ship that big and heavy. Nearly 1,000 feet long.

We'll see a lot of early speculation though, that's for sure.
This bridge and much of '70s infra weren't designed for current operational requirements. Expect more incidents like this one. Wait until they are the result of advertence...
Why, would we expect more incidents like this? This type of narrative is a "false flag" rouse to distract everyone from the main issue. That being rudder control.

Pretty sure every bridge that connects Manhatten island is way older than the Francis Scott Key. But..........your "news feed" on your cell phone IS telling you to expect MORE cargo ships dramatically , and suddenly, to steer directly into a bridge support ? Yikes.

Besides, when suck was involved with the CLEAN up the Bay activities in the 1980's...... the dredging of the harbor to accomodate these ships was a major concern. All the toxins in the mud would "shock" and kill everything.

Guess the $cience changed . With funding from members of the "Giving Pledge".
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:42 pm Not sure one or even three tugs would have been able to do anything for a ship that big and heavy. Nearly 1,000 feet long.

This bridge and much of '70s infra weren't designed for current operational requirements. Expect more incidents like this one. Wait until they are the result of advertence...
Why, would we expect more incidents like this? This type of narrative is a "false flag" rouse to distract everyone from the main issue. That being rudder control.

Pretty sure every bridge that connects Manhatten island is way older than the Francis Scott Key. But..........your "news feed" on your cell phone IS telling you to expect MORE cargo ships dramatically , and suddenly, to steer directly into a bridge support ? Yikes.

Besides, when suck was involved with the CLEAN up the Bay activities in the 1980's...... the dredging of the harbor to accomodate these ships was a major concern. All the toxins in the mud would "shock" and kill everything.

Nope. Know what advertence means? Read more carefully, please.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:55 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

Nope. Know what advertence means? Read more carefully, please.
in what context are you using it?

anyway, this is classic "net moving" and has no relevance on the narrative about the age of a bridge and being able to withstand an impact like that's the most important thing right now, not how the boat was traveling in a nice straight path, and then when the power turned on suddenly turned right into the pillar piling??

and absolutely no one is telling us how the most important part of any vessel, i.e. the means to steer it , is controlled by something as faulty as electricity?

Who often designed these boats? And more importantly, who effing app approves of them to travel our world seas?

have they learned the name of the sixth victim yet
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
old salt

Post by old salt »

That's why I also recommended a speed limit only high enough to maintain steerageway (as advised by the local pilot on board) until well seaward of the bridge.

The wind was a factor in altering the ship's track into the pollar.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

So to sum it all up ...it was an accident that no one could predict. Stuff happens every day.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:44 am So to sum it all up ...it was an accident that no one could predict. Stuff happens every day.
... :roll: i'll leave that to the NTSB. I suspect they will not agree with you.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:11 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:44 am So to sum it all up ...it was an accident that no one could predict. Stuff happens every day.
... :roll: i'll leave that to the NTSB. I suspect they will not agree with you.
They probably won't. Rumor has it there was a mysterious fuel pumper hiding in the grassy knoll. If the fuel became contaminated there are two instances where that could have happened. There are also reports to be investigated that there was a mechanical/electrical malfunction. The most likely source of contamination in diesel fuel is water. I topped off the tank in my coca cola truck many times. Every refuel included two pints of dry gas. If this ship had contaminated fuel then other ships should also have been effected. I'm fairly certain the fuel has been checked and analyzed. If it isn't the fuel then the NTSB has their work cut out for them. You shouldn't expect that final report from the NTSB anytime soon.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Hard to keep contaminated fuel a secret. When the engine loses power then the grease monkeys get to work. Then the bean counters get involved in the equation. It is an expensive proposition to remediate a contaminated fuel source.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:53 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:31 am

Ship fuel is not exactly a "refined" product...

https://www.mckinseyenergyinsights.com/ ... nker-fuel/
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”