Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
keno in reno

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by keno in reno »

AllaboutLax wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:57 pm Unfortunately, the selfless system is not working Zero flow and freedom to the offense. Until that changes the offense will continue to remain stagnant and predictable.
What flow and freedom to the offense will make this team better?
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:27 pm
AllaboutLax wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:57 pm Unfortunately, the selfless system is not working Zero flow and freedom to the offense. Until that changes the offense will continue to remain stagnant and predictable.
shooting the ball on cage when the opportunity presents itself. Take advantage of transition opportunities. always have someone backing up.. If you have the angle and free hands shoot the dam thing on cage. Get more short sticks with speed involved on clears.
viho

Post by viho »

Pork42 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 am
shooting the ball on cage when the opportunity presents itself. Take advantage of transition opportunities. always have someone backing up.. If you have the angle and free hands shoot the dam thing on cage. Get more short sticks with speed involved on clears.
Comparing the two offenses Saturday:
Virginia: balanced sets that spread the field. Simple concepts executed by players with great mix of athleticism and hi lax IQ.
Maryland: motion offense followed by more motion and while they could draw a slide, the def could easily recover while terps move ball around the outside. Don’t recall any skip passes to shoot or dodge off.
Finster

Post by Finster »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:59 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:21 pm I’m surprised we aren’t hearing more from Thomas Gravino. I saw him play last year and obviously being from upstate New York playing at a public high school didn’t get the publicity of a Duffy or Millon, but from what I saw, equally capable.
My guess is he is red shirting

Roger that. Thanks. I can’t speak to his current situation, but the kid had a fantastic shot and dodge in high school.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Switching to a more frivolous topic, Quint called out the high camera angle in his top 20 column this week. As a frustrated casual viewer, I've wondered if Terps fans have tried reaching out to Sports Information or another contact to ask if there might be a way to adjust the camera location? Or is this only an issue for casual viewers, not Terps fans, because the Terps fans and players' families are so good about going to the games in person? (I know it's a goofy question but I really enjoy watching lacrosse online and although I'm close enough geographically to make a trip to College Park occasionally (and do), mostly with my schedule I'm watching streams.)
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am Switching to a more frivolous topic, Quint called out the high camera angle in his top 20 column this week. As a frustrated casual viewer, I've wondered if Terps fans have tried reaching out to Sports Information or another contact to ask if there might be a way to adjust the camera location? Or is this only an issue for casual viewers, not Terps fans, because the Terps fans and players' families are so good about going to the games in person? (I know it's a goofy question but I really enjoy watching lacrosse online and although I'm close enough geographically to make a trip to College Park occasionally (and do), mostly with my schedule I'm watching streams.)

They could easily put the cameras on the mezzanine level on either side of the field
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mark Dixon said on his podcast last week that Maryland is no longer allowing cameras on the other side of the field because the school doesn't want its logo to appear upside down on TV.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

viho wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:55 am
Virginia: balanced sets that spread the field. Simple concepts executed by players with great mix of athleticism and hi lax IQ.
Maryland: motion offense followed by more motion and while they could draw a slide, the def could easily recover while terps move ball around the outside. Don’t recall any skip passes to shoot or dodge off.
Compare the players. UVA has 3 of the #1 rated recruits in the country on the field at the same time, plus a 6th year Tewaaraton nominee. That team has a talent advantage every game they will play this year. This Maryland team does not. Trying to run with Virginia is just bad strategy.

Tillman's offense was sort of historically great just 2 years ago......with better players. 2021 was another dominant offense, with better players. 2016 and 2017 as well. This roster is good, and if they make the tournament no top team will want to be matched up with them. But it's not overpowering anyone. Lars didn't become a bad coach in '22 when his team was just okay, and that team looks a bit like this Terps squad
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:01 pm
Compare the players. UVA has 3 of the #1 rated recruits in the country on the field at the same time, plus a 6th year Tewaaraton nominee. That team has a talent advantage every game they will play this year. This Maryland team does not. Trying to run with Virginia is just bad strategy.

Tillman's offense was sort of historically great just 2 years ago......with better players. 2021 was another dominant offense, with better players. 2016 and 2017 as well. This roster is good, and if they make the tournament no top team will want to be matched up with them. But it's not overpowering anyone. Lars didn't become a bad coach in '22 when his team was just okay, and that team looks a bit like this Terps squad
If you are saying that Shellenberger is a 6th year Teewarton nominee, that is false. He redshirted in 2020, his 1st year and has played the last 4 years. Now Cormier was originally a Starsia recruit, even though he only played for Lars
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

blue angels wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:42 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:01 pm

If you are saying that Shellenberger is a 6th year Teewarton nominee, that is false. He redshirted in 2020, his 1st year and has played the last 4 years. Now Cormier was originally a Starsia recruit, even though he only played for Lars
I'm not
jff97

Post by jff97 »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am Switching to a more frivolous topic, Quint called out the high camera angle in his top 20 column this week. As a frustrated casual viewer, I've wondered if Terps fans have tried reaching out to Sports Information or another contact to ask if there might be a way to adjust the camera location? Or is this only an issue for casual viewers, not Terps fans, because the Terps fans and players' families are so good about going to the games in person? (I know it's a goofy question but I really enjoy watching lacrosse online and although I'm close enough geographically to make a trip to College Park occasionally (and do), mostly with my schedule I'm watching streams.)
I guess this is Quint's new way to troll Maryland now that he can't talk about stall ball, John Tillman looking at his iPad, using too many transfers, etc. Announced crowd of nearly 8,000, which I want to say is the biggest for a game yet this season.
And speaking of trolling, anyone ready for the most anticipated handshake in the sport's history this weekend after last year's "debacle"?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:04 am

They could easily put the cameras on the mezzanine level on either side of the field
They actually had two cameras on the deck at the sports house at the end of the field.
Terpsfan17

Post by Terpsfan17 »

Can we get Richard checo to transfer back home and play for the terps? We need a guy like him at lsm playing the wing on faceoffs causing turnovers and being a catalyst for transition

Losing geppert is just less fun
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

It gets brought up in Tills' weekly pressers. Everyone hates it. Maryland fans on other sites complain about it all the time. The Athletic Department knows about it.

The camera deck is on the 5th (top) floor of the tower. Everything below that are suites. If you put a camera stand on the mezzanine level, you'll block seats behind it.

The camera work is usually better when BTN and ESPN show games. When the games are streamed on BTN+, the camera operators don't zoom in at all. They usually don't have all of the cameras, either. They'll sometimes not use the end zone cameras that are on Gossett for the BTN+ streams but do when they're on BTN/ESPN.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Wheels wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:31 pm
It gets brought up in Tills' weekly pressers. Everyone hates it. Maryland fans on other sites complain about it all the time. The Athletic Department knows about it.

The camera deck is on the 5th (top) floor of the tower. Everything below that are suites. If you put a camera stand on the mezzanine level, you'll block seats behind it.

The camera work is usually better when BTN and ESPN show games. When the games are streamed on BTN+, the camera operators don't zoom in at all. They usually don't have all of the cameras, either. They'll sometimes not use the end zone cameras that are on Gossett for the BTN+ streams but do when they're on BTN/ESPN.
Thank you, Wheels. Knowing that the MD athletic department is aware of the issue somehow makes it less frustrating. Sounds like it’s just one of those things.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

HS games today that have Md recruits playing

BL vs Gonzaga 7

Boys' Latin (Md.)
‘24 Spencer Ford A #18
‘25 Matthew Higgins A #5

Gonzaga College HS
‘24 Johnny Gardiner A #3
‘24 James Gardiner M #4

https://www.youtube.com/live/DfNydz17-w ... ydygxN-MYy

MP vs Blakefield Loyola 6 pm

Loyola Blakfield
‘24 Peter Laake D #39

https://www.youtube.com/live/SfeRJCm9u9 ... YLDTDCzD4M

HaverFord vs McDonogh @ 4:15

McDonogh (Md.)
‘25 Aidan Seibel G
‘25 Eli Schaller M #31
https://www.youtube.com/live/-5g3iKyTmR ... Y4mC3efR-j
Last edited by AreaLax on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camping20

Post by camping20 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:55 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:44 pm
jff97 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:24 pm Anyone else concerned about McNaney? Virginia just beating him low time and time again.

I think his two glaring errors against Notre Dame and Brown were worrying enough.

I feel for Tillman. He’s got a VERY capable starter in Ruppel on the bench; if you pull McNaney, I’m not certain you’ll be able to put the genie back in the bottle.

McNaney can make some great saves and his % is good. But man, occasionally his decisions are back breakers for the Terps.
He’s far better than Ruppel. Ruppel cost them the NCAA Tournament game against Army. That’s not the concern
+1000000
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

McNaney is not a concern. Better than many of you think. Lots of areas to worry about. Goalie is not one of them.
camping20

Post by camping20 »

Cno3putts wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:02 pm McNaney is not a concern. Better than many of you think. Lots of areas to worry about. Goalie is not one of them.

100% agree. He has the experience to run the defense. And to make off ball decisions. FO and goalie are the least of the concerns here.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Everything points to another close game tomorrow.

Per LaxRef:

Michigan
RPI: 15, Adj Off Eff: 11, Adj Def Eff: 40, Adj Faceoff: 7, Adj Goalie: 28

Maryland
RPI: 12, Adj Off Eff: 19, Adj Def Eff: 10, Adj Faceoff: 5, Adj Goalie: 19

The one area Michigan is probe to breakdowns is in transition, but the Terps have largely decided to abandon early and transition offense. Michigan has big, mobile defensemen. They really were the first team last season to utilize a defensive strategy to gum up the Terps ball movement. They also just shredded Maryland's interior defense last season.

Seems like the Terps should have more room to operate on offense this weekend, but Wietfeldt has dominated Wierman in their previous match-ups. We've seen what happens when the Terps can't win the possession battle. Neither the offense or defense gets into a rhythm.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”