Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ICGrad

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by ICGrad »

CU77 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:17 pm Bill Tierney late in the 4th: "I've seen a lot of lacrosse games, and this is one of the best ever."
Almost as good as when the other guy exclaimed: "And somehow Denver has managed to claw their way back to a tie game."

Somehow? Gee, wonder how that might have happened?
another fan

Post by another fan »

Anybody know how many goals total were man down and how many of those were on nonreleaseable penalties
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:15 pm Can someone explain the 3 minutes in combined unreleasable at the end of Q3,

how bad really was Kirst slamming the ref for the prior lousy call ?
It wasn't obvious. Perhaps it's what he said. Michael Long politely but animatedly disputed the call by addressing one of the referees.

The ignored push before Denver's 15th goal was quite clear.
ChadCascadden

Post by ChadCascadden »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:32 pm Is Cascadden injured? He hasn’t seen the field since the second face off. Or was that Petrakis taking the first two?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Jack tore his left ACL in Thursday practice. Freak injury. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just plant, cut, boom. As you can imagine he’s gutted by it all.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I want to be clear that Denver is great, played very well, and took advantage of the opportunities (including looking quite good on EMO -- five goals!). So a sincere congrats to the Pios on an excellent win. But the referees really inserted themselves into the game in a pretty obvious way down the stretch. Denver was 5 for 7 on EMO (I believe at least 1-2 came with Cornell down two men).

For the Yale game, I hope the team is watching and understands that any remotely physical play or talking to the refs could have catastrophic effects. And Yale fan The Orfling, to protect the blood pressure, is going to have to watch on mute -- I know Tierney just retired, I know it's a hometown broadcast, and I get how hard it must be to separate himself emotionally, but it really was irritating to listen to him "we" and "us" it.

But, bottom line, congratulations to the Pios players and coaches on a big win.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

ChadCascadden wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:24 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:32 pm Is Cascadden injured? He hasn’t seen the field since the second face off. Or was that Petrakis taking the first two?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Jack tore his left ACL in Thursday practice. Freak injury. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just plant, cut, boom. As you can imagine he’s gutted by it all.
Mr. Cascadden, so sorry to hear this and wishing Jack a speedy and total recovery.
another fan

Post by another fan »

So sorry to hear of this injury. And what a blow for the team!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:26 pm
Mr. Cascadden, so sorry to hear this and wishing Jack a speedy and total recovery.
+1
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:24 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:15 pm Can someone explain the 3 minutes in combined unreleasable at the end of Q3,

how bad really was Kirst slamming the ref for the prior lousy call ?
It wasn't obvious. Perhaps it's what he said. Michael Long politely but animatedly disputed the call by addressing one of the referees.

The ignored push before Denver's 15th goal was quite clear.
Judging from the radio broadcast 3 of the 4+ minutes of non-releasable penalties were: (1) in the crease (after being pushed), (2) unsportsmanlike conduct (for complaining about being pushed), & (3) on the head.
a fan

Post by a fan »

FWIW, according to the box score, Brian Abbott was reffing the game, one of the most experienced refs out there. President of the NILOA....the Collegiate referees' association.

Can't speak to the fouls, as i was just listening to the game.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

In 50 years of watching lacrosse games, that was easily the most poorly reffed game I've ever seen. Nothing further to add.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

ChadCascadden wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:24 pm Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Jack tore his left ACL in Thursday practice. Freak injury. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just plant, cut, boom. As you can imagine he’s gutted by it all.
Argh! So sorry to hear that! So tough on these young men who work so hard and then bad luck strikes. Best wishes to Jack for a full recovery as soon as possible.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Cornell certainly outplayed Denver for 3+ quarters. Unfortunately, all that counts is the final score.
What makes the L hurt even more is the way the game was lost...and...the upcoming schedule.

I was feeling really good about the outcome after the first unreleasable (Denver got 3) after Cornell came back and got the lead back up to 4. Especially given the way the offense was playing. However, the second one proved too much of a challenge. I'm convinced that given the sensitivity to high hits, almost anything to the head is now being called as a 2 minute unreleasable. I said to myself after the lead got back up to 4, "just stay out of the penalty box." Didn't happen.
Additionally, the team was definitely hurt by not having Cascadden dressed. Psyllos and Petrakis held their own for 2+ quarters. But - in the 4th quarter, Denver won 8 F/O and Cornell 0. I commented after the 1st quarter that Cornell would have to win 50% of the F/Os. Not doing so + the penalties eventually did the boys in.

One bit of good news is the team's depth, certainly needed in Denver's high altitude: Buczek played 4 poles (Dooley rotated in), 8 middies (Holmes and Nikolic rotated in), and 5 shorties (that seems to be the regular rotation, Gilmartin being the fifth).
Other:
-Knust looked very sharp. Except - second game in a row that he's thrown a terrible outlet that led to a big goal.
-I thought the poles did a much better job today or working thru picks.
-1st middie lines - Wirtheim draws the pole most of the time, with Firth getting one occasionally and Kelleher a ss.
-Michael Long definitely seems to have back the quickness he showed in 2020.
-6 and 77 were "run by" quite a bit in the first half. Not so much in the second, but that may be as a result of all the man-downs.
No mas...just not in the mood.
Short turnaround - Hobart comes in on Tuesday night.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

So sorry to hear that. That and the loss and the way they lost today are two gut punches.

Tough on your son and a big blow to the team. He was missed today down the stretch and will be missed all season. Looking forward to seeing him back on the field next spring at 100%.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The Kirst call was the game. Cornell was completely in control up 14-10 with three minutes left in the third with the ball. Kirst gets blatantly cross checked in the back - falls in the crease and the next thing you know, Denver has a 2 man up EMO for two minutes???????????? I know Kirst got one for mouthing off, but what was the second call? How does that happen? Do the refs really think Kirst just fell down in the crease off ball? Just a horrible non-call followed by what seemed to be a ridiculous call. An unsportsmanlike penalty is 1-3 minutes long - unreleasable - at the referee's discretions. What did Cornell do to get 2 -2 minute unreleasable penalties on that play?

So instead of maybe 15-10 going into the 4th quarter, it's 14-12 in a heart beat. But that wasn't all. Cornell gets a big stop midway through the 4th and is clearing the ball and a Cornell defenseman and DU attachman get their feet tangled and that is called interference. Denver scores. Cornell gets another big stop and is clearing the ball and the SSDM gets tripped, pushed and loses the ball. No call . Denver scores. Later, a. Cornell player drops his stick and the Denver player trips over it - penalty and Denver goal. Kirst gets held on the other end. No call. And what was the two minute non-releasable call in the first half? Did anybody see it because I didn't. So Denver got 5 emo goals and at least 3 were on two man-ups. And these calls skewed the face offs as well. Denver was in trouble at the X because they had two violations early in the 2nd half, but spent the rest of the game facing off with only 1 or 0 Cornell players on the wing. Throw in the non-call on the blatant late hit on Wirtheim after the first goal. How do they miss that? Great job! Look, I know refereeing is a thankless hard job, but Cornell was not head hunting or doing anything that warranted those back breaking calls.

It was a the worst refereed game I have seen.

Some horrible home cooking.

I really feel sorry for these kids having to lose like that when they played so well for 45 minutes. That loss and the Cascadden injury are going to challenge this team.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:14 pm The Kirst call was the game. Cornell was completely in control up 14-10 with three minutes left in the third with the ball. Kirst gets blatantly cross checked in the back - falls in the crease and the next thing you know, Denver has a 2 man up EMO for two minutes???????????? I know Kirst got one for mouthing off, but what was the second call? How does that happen? Do the refs really think Kirst just fell down in the crease off ball? Just a horrible non-call followed by what seemed to be a ridiculous call. An unsportsmanlike penalty is 1-3 minutes long - unreleasable - at the referee's discretions. What did Cornell do to get 2 -2 minute unreleasable penalties on that play?

So instead of maybe 15-10 going into the 4th quarter, it's 14-12 in a heart beat. But that wasn't all. Cornell gets a big stop midway through the 4th and is clearing the ball and a Cornell defenseman and DU attachman get their feet tangled and that is called interference. Denver scores. Cornell gets another big stop and is clearing the ball and the SSDM gets tripped, pushed and loses the ball. No call . Denver scores. Later, a. Cornell player drops his stick and the Denver player trips over it - penalty and Denver goal. Kirst gets held on the other end. No call. And what was the two minute non-releasable call in the first half? Did anybody see it because I didn't. So Denver got 5 emo goals and at least 3 were on two man-ups. And these calls skewed the face offs as well. Denver was in trouble at the X because they had two violations early in the 2nd half, but spent the rest of the game facing off with only 1 or 0 Cornell players on the wing. Great job!

It was a the worst refereed game I have seen.

Some horrible home cooking.

I really feel sorry for these kids having to lose like that when they played so well for 45 minutes. That loss and the Cascadden injury are going to challenge this team.
+1 ... really poor calls. If the ref is head of an officiating organisation, he should take some time to reflect upon his leadership role and its meaning.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

So sorry to hear this. Here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery. Please convey our well wishes...
another fan

Post by another fan »

Often in a situation like this the other team can point to questionable calls that went against them. Can anybody think of a bad call that went against DU? If there was one, I'm guessing it was a 30 second push either called or missed. So while it's tempting to too often blame calls, this looked like a litany of extremely punitive calls or missed calls that went DU's way vs. very little on the other side of the ledger.

Best wishes to 20 for the best recovery possible. He was our clear number one, and possessions for our deep and potent offense will be harder to come by.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Oh, so sorry to hear that! Wishing the best to Jack on his road to recovery. He will be greatly missed the rest of the season.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Brutal news to hear. Please let him know that we are all rooting for him to hang in there and to be patient during his recovery. Life is short, no need to rush back and risk a lifetime of pain.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”