OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
spidey44

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:08 am

I'll tell you what--I'll take Robert Morris getting 17 points at home all day long.
I’ll let you cash out now for $.50 on the dollar ;)
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:22 pm

I'll tell you what--I'll take Robert Morris getting 17 points at home all day long.
How far will BC take this? Only end of first quarter.
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

:shock: 13-0 at end of first. Jeeez
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

That was an easy pick.
Last edited by laxfan9999 on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

laxfan9999 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:45 pm That was an easy pick. RMU is terrible.
Pet peeve of mine when posters describe other teams as "terrible", "awful," "horrible" etc. Their parents or those girls even may be in this forum. They are not in the same league as BC, but few of the 120+ teams in D1 are. These girls had aspirations to play in college, and they are getting to do so. Maybe there's a way to be bit more constructive.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:22 pm

My mama always taught me not to count my chickens before they hatch. I've seen many a game go down the terlet in garbage time... and we ain't there yet. 😉
OuttaNowhereWregget

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:51 pm
laxfan9999 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:45 pm That was an easy pick. RMU is terrible.
Pet peeve of mine when posters describe other teams as "terrible", "awful," "horrible" etc. Their parents or those girls even may be in this forum. They are not in the same league as BC, but few of the 120+ teams in D1 are. These girls had aspirations to play in college, and they are getting to do so. Maybe there's a way to be bit more constructive.
For my part, I would rather see freedom of speech enjoyed here. I'd rather have a sign posted at the door of the Fanlax website that says Enter At Your Own Risk. After all, we're talking about sports. Players, coaches and teams get criticized all the time in the great wide world of sports. Even on this very website on the men's side, it's no holds barred. People are free to say whatever they want about players, coaches and teams on the men's lacrosse boards. Why should it be any different on the women's boards?
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:10 pm
For my part, I would rather see freedom of speech enjoyed here. I'd rather have a sign posted at the door of the Fanlax website that says Enter At Your Own Risk. After all, we're talking about sports. Players, coaches and teams get criticized all the time in the great wide world of sports. Even on this very website on the men's side, it's no holds barred. People are free to say whatever they want about players, coaches and teams on the men's lacrosse boards. Why should it be any different on the women's boards?
Makes me think of that adage "just because you can say something doesn't mean you should." Anyhow, perhaps RMU not as "terrible" as judged or BC's second stringers not as good as thought because no goal in at least the last 6 minutes by either team and much more even possession.
OuttaNowhereWregget

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:18 pm
Makes me think of that adage "just because you can say something doesn't mean you should." Anyhow, perhaps RMU not as "terrible" as judged or BC's second stringers not as good as thought because no goal in at least the last 6 minutes by either team and much more even possession.
I don't understand the should part. Saying a team stinks in sports is as old as sports itself. Why does there need to be a restriction because we're talking about women's lacrosse? What's the distinction?
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:29 pm
I don't understand the should part. Saying a team stinks in sports is as old as sports itself. Why does there need to be a restriction because we're talking about women's lacrosse? What's the distinction?
I didn't make a distinction based on gender. You are making that distinction.
OuttaNowhereWregget

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:30 pm
You're right. I'll amend my question:

Saying a team stinks in sports is as old as sports itself. Why does there need to be a restriction here? I don't think players and parents frequenting these boards is a legitimate reason to censor our comments beyond what the site's rules stipulate.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:40 pm
lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:30 pm
You're right. I'll amend my question:

Saying a team stinks in sports is as old as sports itself. Why does there need to be a restriction here? I don't think players and parents frequenting these boards is a legitimate reason to censor our comments beyond what the site's rules stipulate.
I expressed a pet peeve of mine with the hope that it might resonate with some or all commenters. It didn't with you, which is your right, and I have no way of or interest in censoring you. In my opinion, there is some unspoken consensus that has been reached that the more compensated/ higher level/more advanced/more professional a team is, the more acceptable it is to go down the "this team stinks" or "this player stinks" path. Professional sports, NIL-compensated high level college football, basketball, volleyball, etc, fair game. Conversely, at the other end of the spectrum at the high school level, parents, spectators, parties are being asked to sign codes of conduct agreeing to basically not be negative. RMU has zero of the advantages that BC does when it comes to coaching, facilities, funding, player and coaching endowments, alumni networks, recruitment, etc. They are going to, relatively, stink. Not sure it adds a lot to the conversation to point it out.
OuttaNowhereWregget

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:56 pm I expressed a pet peeve of mine with the hope that it might resonate with some or all commenters. It didn't with you, which is your right, and I have no way of or interest in censoring you. In my opinion, there is some unspoken consensus that has been reached that the more compensated/ higher level/more advanced/more professional a team is, the more acceptable it is to go down the "this team stinks" or "this player stinks" path. Professional sports, NIL-compensated high level college football, basketball, volleyball, etc, fair game. Conversely, at the other end of the spectrum at the high school level, parents, spectators, parties are being asked to sign codes of conduct agreeing to basically not be negative. RMU has zero of the advantages that BC does when it comes to coaching, facilities, funding, player and coaching endowments, alumni networks, recruitment, etc. They are going to, relatively, stink. Not sure it adds a lot to the conversation to point it out.
I have to run. I'll give a closer read when I get home. In the meantime, you might find this thread interesting that LarryGamLax started a while back.
I will get back to you...

viewtopic.php?t=3123
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

🤦🏻‍♂️ now we have to watch wording about how we talk about sports because there’s a possibility a mother from Howard is on this forum and someone says Howard stinks? Howard does stink. The pussification of this world may have turned everybody to PC but I think I’m gonna draw the line at being able to say the NY Islanders stink without having Mrs. Barzal read a post I put on Twitter where she gets upset because I didn’t use the proper “they aren’t in the same league as the Rangers” language you are suggesting. It’s a sports forum. Look at any college football forum and people are calling qb1 of their favorite team terrible. Yes that kid is better than 97% of all college players. That what sports and debating sports is about. Lighten up Francis.
Last edited by LaxGnome22 on Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:56 pm I expressed a pet peeve of mine with the hope that it might resonate with some or all commenters. It didn't with you, which is your right, and I have no way of or interest in censoring you. In my opinion, there is some unspoken consensus that has been reached that the more compensated/ higher level/more advanced/more professional a team is, the more acceptable it is to go down the "this team stinks" or "this player stinks" path. Professional sports, NIL-compensated high level college football, basketball, volleyball, etc, fair game. Conversely, at the other end of the spectrum at the high school level, parents, spectators, parties are being asked to sign codes of conduct agreeing to basically not be negative. RMU has zero of the advantages that BC does when it comes to coaching, facilities, funding, player and coaching endowments, alumni networks, recruitment, etc. They are going to, relatively, stink. Not sure it adds a lot to the conversation to point it out.
I hear what you're saying, but on the other hand, that's just the way folks talk about sports. I completely agree with you on RMU not having the same advantages as BC. (And just for the record, I'm always glad when a school like RMU pulls an upset.) I'm sure your comments will resonate with some. I would just prefer folks feel comfortable expressing their views, however unsavory they may taste to some. It gives a much more accurate portrayal of life and how different folks talk about sports. I've been on these boards for years and I've witnessed too many new members come on these boards, express a different opinion, and get insulted and bullied until they ultimately say "f**k it" and leave. Way too many times. I'm aware that parents and players frequent this site. But I'm sure they must know on some level that they might hear something negative about themselves or their team. That's life, right? Not everyone is going to appreciate us. Even if we try to be agreeable to all.

Anyway--I hope that in some way clarifies where I'm coming from.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:00 pm
I hear what you're saying, but on the other hand, that's just the way folks talk about sports. I completely agree with you on RMU not having the same advantages as BC. (And just for the record, I'm always glad when a school like RMU pulls an upset.) I'm sure your comments will resonate with some. I would just prefer folks feel comfortable expressing their views, however unsavory they may taste to some. It gives a much more accurate portrayal of life and how different folks talk about sports. I've been on these boards for years and I've witnessed too many new members come on these boards, express a different opinion, and get insulted and bullied until they ultimately say "f**k it" and leave. Way too many times. I'm aware that parents and players frequent this site. But I'm sure they must know on some level that they might hear something negative about themselves or their team. That's life, right? Not everyone is going to appreciate us. Even if we try to be agreeable to all.

I would imagine Taylor Swift's mom keeps off the NFL forums.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:15 pm
🤦🏻‍♂️ now we have to watch wording about how we talk about sports because there’s a possibility a mother from Howard is on this forum and someone says Howard stinks? Howard does stink. The pussification of this world may have turned everybody to PC but I think I’m gonna draw the line at being able to say the NY Islanders stink without having Mrs. Barzal read a post I put on Twitter where she gets upset because I didn’t use the proper “they aren’t in the same league as the Rangers” language you are suggesting. It’s a sports forum. Look at any college football forum and people are calling qb1 of their favorite team terrible. Yes that kid is better than 97% of all college players. That what sports and debating sports is about. Lighten up Francis.
Howard actually doesn’t stink. Not sure the last time you watched them. Their level of play, just like everyone else’s, is increasing as the game itself rises in popularity. They’re not BC, but they don’t stink.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:28 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:15 pm
Howard actually doesn’t stink. Not sure the last time you watched them. Their level of play, just like everyone else’s, is increasing as the game itself rises in popularity. They’re not BC, but they don’t stink.
They've lost 31 games in a row and have won 2 of their last 65.......And both wins were against DII University of DC
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:00 pm

Gotcha. And thank you for your thoughtful response. Now I’m the one who has to run, but you do you. For me, when somebody is getting paid to play, whose JOB it is to play, and I mean in more than just a fraction of a tuition scholarship, then I will weigh in on the whetherI think they suck or not. Other than that, I’m going to try to keep my responses more positive.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

People are free to say what they want, but not being a dick when commenting on teams is also a good philosophy. However, I know some people are inherently negative and it shines through on sports forums. I don’t get offended, but I also try to not be a dick.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”