York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Oaklax

Re: York 2024

Post by Oaklax »

Not sure what the York goalie was thinking at the end there heaving the ball down the field there and turning it over with 20-30+ seconds left.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Well, if the old adage of “you learn more from a loss than a win” rings true, they have the benefit to learn a lot from yesterday.

I missed the second half for youth athletic responsibilities, but what I saw in the first was York having more time of possession, and decent shots. Perry look every bit the AA in goal for RPI, with many key saves on high % and screened shots. York’s unforced turnovers, namely sloppy passes sailed high, frequently created opportunities in transition, where RPI was able to capitalize. York’s D looked very good when settled, was able to recover many times from turnover created transition, & Keller made several great stops himself to keep them in it.

I like what I saw from some of the youth out there.
On to W&L.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:04 am Well, if the old adage of “you learn more from a loss than a win” rings true, they have the benefit to learn a lot from yesterday.

I missed the second half for youth athletic responsibilities, but what I saw in the first was York having more time of possession, and decent shots. Perry look every bit the AA in goal for RPI, with many key saves on high % and screened shots. York’s unforced turnovers, namely sloppy passes sailed high, frequently created opportunities in transition, where RPI was able to capitalize. York’s D looked very good when settled, was able to recover many times from turnover created transition, & Keller made several great stops himself to keep them in it.

On to W&L.
i just watched the game this morning on video. york video quality is pretty good compared to the HSC/CNU game I watched yesterday. For D3, only Salisbury and Stevenson seem to have a better video program. I also looked at the box score. stats were almost identical except ground balls and face off favored RPI. first impression was RPI out hustled York on ground balls and was more composed on offense. York had a lot of wasted offense possession with shots before the offense was settled. RPI defense did a good job, but i thought York defense played better. the game came down to several small adjustments for york. but the main fact is was the RPI goalie made several saves that would normally be going in. with any other goalie that york will face this season, they would have scored 10-12 goals with the shots and offense that we saw yesterday.

york goalie played great also. from watching the game, i thought RPI goalie played better. but looking at the stats, they were very similar.

FO was in favor or RPI. york brought in a very good fogo transfer, but i didn’t see him get a shot. i would have expected to see him get mixed in to shake up timing. even the top teams with the top fogos are using two

not panic time yet for york. they lost to a comparable team. i would expect to see similar games when they play W&L, RIT, Dickinson, St Lawrence, Denison and Gettysburg. York will have to at least split these games.
they would need the stars to all align for a victory vs Salisbury
they should be able to handle F&M and Grove City.

this would give York 5-5 out of conference record with 3 wins over ranked teams.

a win vs W&L will make everything seem better

by the way, the ball was still in the stick of RPI as the clock hit 0.0 before the half ended
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Those early shots did look forced, but maybe that was the game plan. Try to catch Perry before he got the defense in rhythm. IDK. Could just be first game jitters. Childs will get them right.

Unless we've collectively missed our guess, I don't think a win vs the Gulls is in the cards for anyone but CNU this year. Only because the Captains potentially have three shots at them.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

no one thought gettysburg could beat salisbury last year. any top 15 teams can knock off anyone with a great game plan and mistake free play. the odds are not good. but you can also argue the odds are not good for salisbury to beat everyone without a slip up or two.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:26 pm no one thought gettysburg could beat salisbury last year. any top 15 teams can knock off anyone with a great game plan and mistake free play. the odds are not good. but you can also argue the odds are not good for salisbury to beat everyone without a slip up or two.
Man, you're right. Anything can happen. York is def capable. I've been conditioned over the last 20 years by Berkman to think this way. SOB.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I think that York still can go 3-2 i the first 5 games especially if their goalie plays the way he did on Saturday. The offense will get on track. I heard they were a little sloppy at the end but overall solid against a very good RPI team.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Asgot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:21 am I think that York still can go 3-2 i the first 5 games especially if their goalie plays the way he did on Saturday. The offense will get on track. I heard they were a little sloppy at the end but overall solid against a very good RPI team.
I'd agree with this take. Largely due in part to the fact that Childs has turned into a top 5 coach in the country. He will keep them in games.

York always plays hard and scraps with the best of them.
Offensive continuity takes time and no one is going to be clicking on all cylinders in early February.

York will get 2-3 wins coming out of this gauntlet. Book it.
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:16 am
DeepPocket wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:04 am Well, if the old adage of “you learn more from a loss than a win” rings true, they have the benefit to learn a lot from yesterday.

On to W&L.
i just watched the game this morning on video. york video quality is pretty good compared to the HSC/CNU game I watched yesterday. For D3, only Salisbury and Stevenson seem to have a better video program. I also looked at the box score. stats were almost identical except ground balls and face off favored RPI. first impression was RPI out hustled York on ground balls and was more composed on offense. York had a lot of wasted offense possession with shots before the offense was settled. RPI defense did a good job, but i thought York defense played better. the game came down to several small adjustments for york. but the main fact is was the RPI goalie made several saves that would normally be going in. with any other goalie that york will face this season, they would have scored 10-12 goals with the shots and offense that we saw yesterday.

york goalie played great also. from watching the game, i thought RPI goalie played better. but looking at the stats, they were very similar.

FO was in favor or RPI. york brought in a very good fogo transfer, but i didn’t see him get a shot. i would have expected to see him get mixed in to shake up timing. even the top teams with the top fogos are using two

not panic time yet for york. they lost to a comparable team. i would expect to see similar games when they play W&L, RIT, Dickinson, St Lawrence, Denison and Gettysburg. York will have to at least split these games.
they would need the stars to all align for a victory vs Salisbury
they should be able to handle F&M and Grove City.

this would give York 5-5 out of conference record with 3 wins over ranked teams.

a win vs W&L will make everything seem better

by the way, the ball was still in the stick of RPI as the clock hit 0.0 before the half ended

Who was the best players on the field? Both sides
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

Watched the whole game live-stream.

RPI goalie was excellent - made a number of high quality saves.
Offense should feel good knowing that many of their looks / shots will drop against others.

Defense also played well.
Goalie had a lot of saves - but think you could argue most fall into the "have to make" category.
Seemed like bigger / higher quality saves came in later stages.

They could be anywhere between 3-7 & 7-3 heading into league play
Said in another forum that RPI could come down to FOGO/Goalie Play.
Think that's going to be a consistent theme in all their Top 20 matchups.

As for outlook - FM & Grove City are locks for a W
I think Salisbury & RIT are going to be uphill battles.
Every other game is up for grabs - although I think SLU will prove to be a difficult matchup, in a similar way to how they were for Lynchburg in 23'

What surprised me most was riding.
Would have thought they'd create more turnovers / pressure - RPI looked pretty comfortable in clearing game.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Game has been moved back to 2pm
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

jackson shields.

enough said.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:56 pm jackson shields.

enough said.
Good scorer for York, he had a great game.

valaxfan
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I thought that Blackmon really shut down Hollis in the second half 0 goals and turned him over more than once. Also felt like Biava player very well
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Asgot wrote: Sun Jun 01, 1975 12:50 am I thought that Blackmon really shut down Hollis in the second half 0 goals and turned him over more than once. Also felt like Biava player very well
#20 had 2 assists and one pipe shot in the 2nd half, but as you pointed out, one caused turnover by Blackmon (3 total in 2nd half). So, while he did contribute, it was much harder as Blackmon played him better in the 2nd half. They needed him in the 4th and he was pushing it too much thus 2 unforced errors in the 4th. But, for the game, 4 goals and 3 assists, overall, was good, losing the game was bad, lol.

valaxfan
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

valaxfan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:32 pm
Asgot wrote: Sun Jun 01, 1975 12:50 am I thought that Blackmon really shut down Hollis in the second half 0 goals and turned him over more than once. Also felt like Biava player very well
#20 had 2 assists and one pipe shot in the 2nd half, but as you pointed out, one caused turnover by Blackmon (3 total in 2nd half). So, while he did contribute, it was much harder as Blackmon played him better in the 2nd half. They needed him in the 4th and he was pushing it too much thus 2 unforced errors in the 4th. But, for the game, 4 goals and 3 assists, overall, was good, losing the game was bad, lol.

valaxfan
Yes, understands the stats but what I was saying is that when the game was on the line Blackmon dominated the matchup against a very good attackman
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Nice bounce back win for the Spartans. Didn't expect a let down after a coming short against RPI.

As stated before they won't go quietly through this gauntlet of a schedule. They are well coached and play you tough for 4 quarters.

I'd expect them to be just as competitive and continue to play winning lacrosse going forward. They 3/4 wins is very much possible.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Asgot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:14 am
valaxfan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:32 pm

valaxfan
Yes, understands the stats but what I was saying is that when the game was on the line Blackmon dominated the matchup against a very good attackman
You are correct Asgot, I understood that, and I did acknowledge that as well. Thx.

valaxfan
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

curious to hear some locals opinions on saturdays game. a few things i noticed. nice win. redemption. from last year. defense looked like the same lineup and played better as the game went on. holding W&L to 2 goals in the 4th. offense looked a little better than last week, but still a work in progress. 16 goals scored, but 5 from the defense and 1 from fogo. so only 10 goals from the offense. goalie play took a step back, with a .333 save percentage. that’s saving 3 shots for ever 10 on target. need to be better. fogo was 50%. but seemed like W&L won more than that.
wonder if changes will be made to the offense to get more points. and will some backups get to see some time/opportunities at goalie and fogo?
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:26 pm curious to hear some locals opinions on saturdays game. a few things i noticed. nice win. redemption. from last year. defense looked like the same lineup and played better as the game went on. holding W&L to 2 goals in the 4th. offense looked a little better than last week, but still a work in progress. 16 goals scored, but 5 from the defense and 1 from fogo. so only 10 goals from the offense. goalie play took a step back, with a .333 save percentage. that’s saving 3 shots for ever 10 on target. need to be better. fogo was 50%. but seemed like W&L won more than that.
wonder if changes will be made to the offense to get more points. and will some backups get to see some time/opportunities at goalie and fogo?
I thought York played well and was very surprised they put up that many points against a very solid defensive squad. Looks like W&L has some major issues once again in goal. While York played well the W&L goalie had a poor outing. I was surprised to see him in goal. I think he’s only gotten 100 minutes of game time in his past 3 years. At half I thought De Cain or Boyd would have stepped in. The coaches see the goalies play every day so they must have thought he was the right choice. He did not look comfortable or confident in the cage after that first goal. Hoping it’s not another situation like last year. It’s early but you have to have strong, consistent play in net if you have an aggressive schedule.Fingers crossed

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”