Miscellaneous Topics 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Miscellaneous Topics 2023

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 am
user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:52 am Just read the article on UMD by US Lax Magazine and have 2 notes. First, they said that Lexi Dupack had over 300 goals at CALVERT HALL. Calvert Hall is an all boys school in Towson MD and Lexi Dupack went to Broadneck HS in Annapolis, MD. I know mistakes happen but how do they list that she went to an all boys private HS. Mistakes seem to happen much more frequently in articles in the lacrosse world and it irks me. Next, I consider myself a UMD, but I can say with complete truth that they have done absolutely nothing to be worthy of being ranked #6. It is way too high of a ranking and they should be back in the 10-15 range before they prove themselves.
ridiculing on grammar and accuracy and I forgot to add fan after UMD🤣 maybe I’m too harsh
I can't blame you if you were too harsh. That's why I try to avoid reading any articles from either of the main publications because of the hype and the rah-rah bs. I totally agree with you on this--they need to prove themselves again. Too much sentiment still stagnating on the pond out there that because they have Cathy Reese it's only a matter of time before the Tewwy and Natty trains are back running on schedule at College Park.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 am
user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:52 am Just read the article on UMD by US Lax Magazine and have 2 notes. First, they said that Lexi Dupack had over 300 goals at CALVERT HALL. Calvert Hall is an all boys school in Towson MD and Lexi Dupack went to Broadneck HS in Annapolis, MD. I know mistakes happen but how do they list that she went to an all boys private HS. Mistakes seem to happen much more frequently in articles in the lacrosse world and it irks me. Next, I consider myself a UMD, but I can say with complete truth that they have done absolutely nothing to be worthy of being ranked #6. It is way too high of a ranking and they should be back in the 10-15 range before they prove themselves.
ridiculing on grammar and accuracy and I forgot to add fan after UMD🤣 maybe I’m too harsh
I think all the teams in the 6-10 range as interchangeable considering how close they were last year, Maybe MD just got the nod because they bring a lot of experience back. But I also agree that they need to prove themselves a bit, especially since they seem to lack the killer instinct a lot of great MD teams of the past had.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:09 am Doesn't surprise me in the least--on either account.

Lot of cursory glances passing for proofreading these days. The editor is either lazy, or doesn't want to offend anyone by telling them to go back and recheck the facts for their piece.

As for their slightly inflated preseason ranking (I have them at #7 before Notre Dame, Florida and Loyola because I still think they're better than those teams; but after James Madison who I have at #6). Beyond that, former Terp Taylor Cummings is a writer for the publication. And obviously, there are still many Twerp genuflectors out there who still think this is the Maryland of the last decade. (More on that later...)
Given the state of media today, the editor (if there is one) probably has a lot of other things to read and do in a given day. When the goal up top is more about the bottom line than actual content, editors are one of the first things to go. And as someone who's worked in the business, no one is offended when they get asked to make sure something is right, mainly because they hate to have something wrong in there in the first place. Sometimes a mistake or typo gets in there because you can't catch everything. It's just human nature. Please don't be so quick to assume it's because people don't care about the product.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Awful lot of people here are mighty sensitive to being corrected, very quick to come out with the grammar cop, etc. Personally, I've never taken any offense to it, rather enjoy/appreciate it to be honest. It's a learning experience, a mistake you're less likely to make next time when it's pointed out to you. Lax Fidelis (RIP), the retired librarian, had an eagle eye, great vocabulary, and great command of the English language, he was quick to point out errors. I once wrote capital when it should have been capitol and he was quick to let me know "capital and capitol are not synonymous". Thought that was a mighty clever way of pointing out my error (yes, I knew the difference in the two words). I very much appreciated him and miss him. Quite frankly, I'm shocked at the number of college grads here who think a lot is one word and don't know the difference between then and than (they're not synonymous :lol: ). Same with further and farther...there and their too.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's a hell of an assumption, not one I'd put a lot of stock in.
Lax Fi was a top shelf guy, probably reached out to, and met in
person, more people at LaxPower than anyone else ever did. By
all accounts he was a fun guy...great sense of humor, very witty.
Get yourself a laptop.
DMac

Post by DMac »

So the post above that one about dirt bags and no fun at parties just vanished?
How does that happen? I've never once even experimented with hallucinogenics.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Inside Lax just announced it’s Committed Academy. To parents who have done it, is it worth 500$? My daughter’s committed team did not send anything out regarding it. I am assuming at best she gets to meet some of her current teammates. At worst she spends 500$ to play me ball like other showcases. Also how do NY girls play on these since they have Regent finals during that week.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:50 pm Inside Lax just announced it’s Committed Academy. To parents who have done it, is it worth 500$? My daughter’s committed team did not send anything out regarding it. I am assuming at best she gets to meet some of her current teammates. At worst she spends 500$ to play me ball like other showcases. Also how do NY girls play on these since they have Regent finals during that week.
Not sure it’s worth it, but my daughter is going to the HHH Committed camp in July. Her future team reached out to the commits and suggested that they may want to go and meet each other. Pretty sure they will be there coaching. As for the IL, yes it is a problem for NY. My daughter will be taking a physics regents so she wouldn’t be able to attend that if she wanted to.
laxr

Post by laxr »

My daughter attended the HHH committed games with her recruiting class the two summers before starting first year. Was a great experience except for being crazy hot in Philly both times! Girls hung out and got to know each other, as did the parent group. I doubt we would have gone independently, but it seemed to be a great class bonding experience.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

laxr wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:10 am My daughter attended the HHH committed games with her recruiting class the two summers before starting first year. Was a great experience except for being crazy hot in Philly both times! Girls hung out and got to know each other, as did the parent group. I doubt we would have gone independently, but it seemed to be a great class bonding experience.
Good to hear. I think it was $400 but the entire 2024 and 2025 recruiting class will be there. So for her, I’m sure it’s going to be worth it. She is looking forward to it.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:50 pm Inside Lax just announced it’s Committed Academy. To parents who have done it, is it worth 500$? My daughter’s committed team did not send anything out regarding it. I am assuming at best she gets to meet some of her current teammates. At worst she spends 500$ to play me ball like other showcases. Also how do NY girls play on these since they have Regent finals during that week.
Daughter attended CA last summer and it was good. She had eight future teammates there. We stayed in Rehoboth Beach, so the girls could hang out and hit the beach. Team did quite well and they gelled almost instantly on the field.

If you can get enough girls, it's a great event to attend. Those that had 5 or more looked like they had a good time. Some teams did better than others (Louisville didn't look so hot).

I know families that have attended The HHH event and also CA. This year I think the price per player is roughly the same (I was told the HHH event came out to $500 for one of them). Cost to attend HHH is more expensive, but if you get all the girls to attend, I'm sure it's fine.

We will do CA again this summer, skipping HHH since I don't want to pay ridiculous money to stay where it's being held.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:40 am
Daughter attended CA last summer and it was good. She had eight future teammates there. We stayed in Rehoboth Beach, so the girls could hang out and hit the beach. Team did quite well and they gelled almost instantly on the field.

If you can get enough girls, it's a great event to attend. Those that had 5 or more looked like they had a good time. Some teams did better than others (Louisville didn't look so hot).

I know families that have attended The HHH event and also CA. This year I think the price per player is roughly the same (I was told the HHH event came out to $500 for one of them). Cost to attend HHH is more expensive, but if you get all the girls to attend, I'm sure it's fine.

We will do CA again this summer, skipping HHH since I don't want to pay ridiculous money to stay where it's being held.
FWIW, my committed 25's team is doing lake Placid. A few girls (mostly philly area) are doing committed games but will be paired with another school.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:21 am

FWIW, my committed 25's team is doing lake Placid. A few girls (mostly philly area) are doing committed games but will be paired with another school.
my girls did Placid, HHH and CA and they are all pretty much the same thing. Its a good meet and greet and then a lot of me ball. CA is the least favorite...always hot, no shade and hotels are not close.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

I just checked her receipt. It was $500. Plus $25 service fee. Hotel I got was $400. She also wanted to do the Committed Academy. Guess I should be happy that she can’t since we are in NY and she has a Regent that day.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

DE Turf has to be one of the worst facilities in the history of lacrosse. The close hotels suck, getting to the location sucks, and as has been said, zero shade or amenities. How you can have a place open that long that doesn't have any real growth from the trees onsite is astounding.

I just don't like going to Lake Placid. It's pretty, but there are better places I'd rather spend my time. I dislike driving that far north. :lol:
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Not Lax but since the season hasn't started & this thread is Misc topics.... I've been watching Caitlin Clark (Iowa WBB) the last 2 seasons and it's been so much fun. I credit my daughter playing WLax with getting me into women's sports I never paid any attention before that. So now that I like watching women's sports I've hopped on the Caitlin Clark train and it's amazing. She's like watching Jordan all over again, just doing amazing things:D
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

WLaxdad wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:05 pm Not Lax but since the season hasn't started & this thread is Misc topics.... I've been watching Caitlin Clark (Iowa WBB) the last 2 seasons and it's been so much fun. I credit my daughter playing WLax with getting me into women's sports I never paid any attention before that. So now that I like watching women's sports I've hopped on the Caitlin Clark train and it's amazing. She's like watching Jordan all over again, just doing amazing things:D
Yup, the dictionary definition of ice in the veins. She’s remarkable.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:02 pm
WLaxdad wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:05 pm Not Lax but since the season hasn't started & this thread is Misc topics.... I've been watching Caitlin Clark (Iowa WBB) the last 2 seasons and it's been so much fun. I credit my daughter playing WLax with getting me into women's sports I never paid any attention before that. So now that I like watching women's sports I've hopped on the Caitlin Clark train and it's amazing. She's like watching Jordan all over again, just doing amazing things:D
Yup, the dictionary definition of ice in the veins. She’s remarkable.
Caitlin Clark has been amazing to watch. You should also check out some of the amazing freshmen who are making huge impacts like Milaysia Fulwiley from South Carolina, Hannah Hidalgo from Notre Dame and Ju Ju Watkins from USC. They are super fun to watch!
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Heard this on the radio regarding Caitlin Clark the other day. She is literally the face of college basketball - Men's OR Women's! Name me a bigger name on the men's side. Pretty amazing. She sells out every arena she enters.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:38 pm Heard this on the radio regarding Caitlin Clark the other day. She is literally the face of college basketball - Men's OR Women's! Name me a bigger name on the men's side. Pretty amazing. She sells out every arena she enters.
I looked up tickets to the Iowa - MD game last November since MD was the closest away game to me. Tickets were the normal WBB price (not much) but decided that I hate to drive that close to DC so it wasn't worth it to buy them. Checked last week before the game and they were sold out & going for $350 on stub hub. Didn't even cross my mind that you could make $ scalping WBB tickets but that's how much she's changed the game.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”