Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by stupefied »

He's gonna put up points even if stunted scoring because he 's a willing passer to a plethora of finishers

Kohn 17-22 along with 1g, 2a 3 pts . When is the last time Cuse has seen 3 pts. from a fogo. Big, strong, fast with a motor. Him and Mullen making a huge diff in time of poss.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Kohn 17-22 along with 1g, 2a 3 pts . When is the last time Cuse has seen 3 pts. from a fogo. Big, strong, fast with a motor. Him and Mullen making a huge diff in time of poss.

Chris Cercy?

He's been great so far but what's nice is it looks like Mullens can spell him from time to time.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Pensky Material wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:40 pm Kohn 17-22 along with 1g, 2a 3 pts . When is the last time Cuse has seen 3 pts. from a fogo. Big, strong, fast with a motor. Him and Mullen making a huge diff in time of poss.

Chris Cercy?

He's been great so far but what's nice is it looks like Mullens can spell him from time to time.
Both look really good. Fogo should be solid this yr and next few.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta love the way this team plays the game, looks like Cuse lacrosse again, looks like Gait mentality lacrosse.
Gary's got the right, and talented, kind of players, not one guy taking 22 shots in a game. Fantastic ball movement,
everyone looking for the open man every time they touch the ball. Pretty to watch. D is pretty darn tough too, gritty,
relentless, hounding, not shy about banging around. Not a lot of room for complaining about FOGOs, dominating performance,
making it look easy. We'll see how it all plays out as the season rolls along.
Don't understand how you let Joey stand behind the cage unbothered the way Gate did. What do you think is going to happen there? Is it possible that Gate figured they didn't have anyone who could cover him and keep him from getting to the cage coming from behind? Only thing I can think of that makes any kind of sense.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Pensky Material wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:40 pm Kohn 17-22 along with 1g, 2a 3 pts . When is the last time Cuse has seen 3 pts. from a fogo. Big, strong, fast with a motor. Him and Mullen making a huge diff in time of poss.

Chris Cercy?

Jeremy Thompson.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

stupefied wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:36 pm He's gonna put up points even if stunted scoring because he 's a willing passer to a plethora of finishers

Last time was probably Jeremy Thompson. Brennan and Benny Williams probably the top fogos the last 20 years but neither was an Offensive guy.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:42 pm

Chris Cercy?

Jeremy Thompson.
Loved Thompson as a player and yet I always forget he did take a solid amount of draws.
Finster

Post by Finster »

I know everyone is excited. It’s ‘been a week’ since the team had good mojo.

But you need to take into account that Colgate doesn’t really have a faceoff unit to speak of. Syracuse was at 85%+ for the game until late, dropping it to 78%.

The Colgate coaches decided that they’d play some weird zone defense, leaving Spallina alone behind the cage. It was 7-1 in the blink of an eye. I mean…

I believe Cuse can easily get to 9-0, and everyone will start prematurely celebrating like it’s 1990 again. Inside Lavrosse will build up the hype like you’ve never seen.

At that time, Cuse begins its ‘real’ schedule: Duke, at Notre Dame, at Cornell, at North Carolina, Virginia. Those are five real games. The two hardest imo will be Duke and UVA, but both are home.

Pump the brakes is all I’m saying.

Did someone mention that Luke Rhoa is done for the year?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Syracuse is so much more athletic this year than in years past. They have firepower all over the field. Their defense is improving and the face off unit is strong.
Gait finally has a team that can mimic the teams he used to play on. Fast, relentless, up-tempo Lax, that just wears opponents down.
I'm not pumping the breaks on this team. They are scary and for real.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
DMac

Post by DMac »

Again, Finster, I'm not feeling the need to pump the brakes as I just don't get the feeling that anyone is claiming that Cuse is in the fast lane to an undefeated season and another National Title. Think most recognize the level of competition Cuse has played to date and realize that much stiffer competition awaits this team. That doesn't mean you can't be excited about what you see though, this team is pretty to watch and there's a lot to like. The style of play (you don't have one guy taking 22 shots), unselfishness, ball movement (Hiltz's skip passes are a thing of beauty, phuks the D up, gets 'em out of sync), heads up and eyes open looking for the open teammate, etc. Cuse lacrosse once again looks like Cuse lacrosse which is real nice (understating) to see. This team has potential, got a lot of good players on the field at both ends and the middle, so there's good reason to be optimistic. No need to be hitting the brakes, we're just enjoying the ride so far.
DMac

Post by DMac »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:58 am
Gait finally has a team that can mimic the teams he used to play on. Fast, relentless, up-tempo Lax, that just wears opponents down.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think Gary was stuck with a load his first two years, now he has the type of players he needed to play Cuse lacrosse and the way he sees the game. This team is exciting!!!
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

Finster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:10 am I know everyone is excited. It’s ‘been a week’ since the team had good mojo.

But you need to take into account that Colgate doesn’t really have a faceoff unit to speak of. Syracuse was at 85%+ for the game until late, dropping it to 78%.

The Colgate coaches decided that they’d play some weird zone defense, leaving Spallina alone behind the cage. It was 7-1 in the blink of an eye. I mean…

I believe Cuse can easily get to 9-0, and everyone will start prematurely celebrating like it’s 1990 again. Inside Lavrosse will build up the hype like you’ve never seen.

At that time, Cuse begins its ‘real’ schedule: Duke, at Notre Dame, at Cornell, at North Carolina, Virginia. Those are five real games. The two hardest imo will be Duke and UVA, but both are home.

Did someone mention that Luke Rhoa is done for the year?

“Cuse can easily get to 9-0”….pump the breaks. See you on 2/17.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Finster is the only guy I know who will tell others to pump the breaks while saying we can "easily get to 9-0" all in the same post. Most impressive. Also Luke Rhoa is not injured at all that would be ssdm Landon Clary who is getting an MRI.
molo

Post by molo »

And that injury is critical. There is no doubt about this offense. The attack features a superstar, a crafty lefty, and a dependable feeder and scorer who can make plays with his off(right) hand as well as his left. 23 would be the best offensive player on a lot of teams. At SU, his a not the clearly best middie. The Princeton transfers are true middies who don’t have to rack up big point totals to contribute. 7 and 8 are a dynamic left right duo. FOGOs look impressive. I’m just not sure about the competition so far.
D appears to have improved, but again competition hasn’t been great. Best two defenders are poles. How good is the close d? Can’t tell yet. There is plenty of room for optimism. Can’t wait to see how they fair against Army and Maryland, but I would say it appears that the ACC has more than three really good teams this year.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Finster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:10 am I believe Cuse can easily get to 9-0, and everyone will start prematurely celebrating like it’s 1990 again. Inside Lavrosse will build up the hype like you’ve never seen.

You are doing a real disservice to the rest of the Syracuse schedule by saying the ACC schedule is the only thing that is "real". Please stop with this line. Army, Maryland, Cornell are all top 10 teams (not to mention will be stiffer tests than UNC). Hopkins, Delaware, Utah, all three were tournament teams last year and return a lot. Come on.

What do you want SU fans to do? Only point out the bad things the team does? It's okay to have some optimism here! They've looked really good. Allow yourself some happiness.
coda

Post by coda »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:58 am Syracuse is so much more athletic this year than in years past. They have firepower all over the field. Their defense is improving and the face off unit is strong.
I'm not pumping the breaks on this team. They are scary and for real.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Their defense is improving and the face off unit is strong.
That will be the real question for Cuse. I am not sure that has really been answered. Colgate struggle at the X vs PSU also and PSU was one of the worst FOGO units last year. The offense is legit. Yale and Cuse are interesting teams. Definitely final 4 offenses, but the middle of the field and defenses will set their ceilings.
maddog29

Post by maddog29 »

A fun start for early in the season ...4-0 in less than 4 minutes I think. Colgate tried some weird match-up zone - very unusual and horribly ineffective. They scored 4 of their goals on man-ups - not much on even strength. The FO's for Cuse were outstanding; both att. & mid. was darn good for most of the game; LSM's were solid (exception being Martin w/4 penalties but played very physical); Mark looed more like himself. Figueras and Dwan were excellent, but Caccamo replaced Kol and played the majority of the second half. Overall, this was a dominant W over a team that showede some mettle in winning at PSU!

Looking forward to the next few contests. :)
Finster

Post by Finster »

Antonio114 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 am Finster is the only guy I know who will tell others to pump the breaks while saying we can "easily get to 9-0" all in the same post. Most impressive. Also Luke Rhoa is not injured at all that would be ssdm Landon Clary who is getting an MRI.

I shouldn’t have used that word “easily” in that context. What I meant was it’s not ridiculous to envision Cuse going 9-0. My bad.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Antonio114 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 am Finster is the only guy I know who will tell others to pump the breaks while saying we can "easily get to 9-0" all in the same post. Most impressive. Also Luke Rhoa is not injured at all that would be ssdm Landon Clary who is getting an MRI.
Ya I don't get the 9-0 comment at all especially with Maryland and Army coming up not to mention Hop and a dangerous Delaware team. Team being 7-2 in the first 9 games would be more then respectable.
DMac

Post by DMac »

38 goals in the first two games, 27 of those assisted (14 of 18 yesterday).
You'll get yourself open off ball when you play on a team like that. Not
so much when you've got one guy shooting 20+ times a game.

I like Gait's new Simmie do, wears it well, fits him well.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”