Northwestern "Hard Times"

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Northwestern "Hard Times"

Post by DMac »

Degree shmegree. Sure there are some occupations that require the right courses and degree but by and large one's success is much more determined by ambition, focus, and determination (like these National Champion Northwestern lacrosse girls have).
My friend's 31 year old daughter is a SUNY Oswego grad, English major. She's making $230K a year (has been for a couple of years now) as the VP of Production Development for this outfit. https://impel.ai/ A headhunter came and got her from the place she worked before and it wasn't because she had a degree from Oswego State. The girl is driven, very competitive (pain in the asz....I absolutely love challenging her and piszzing her off. She can beat most people in ping pong but not me, which really pizzes her off). Here, meet Miss High Maintenance who always gets what she wants on her terms. She does with the honchos at Ford and Chevy too. You'd want this girl even though she doesn't have the big name sheepskin.
Was a volleyballer, libero. Pretty good athlete.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:03 am
WLaxdad wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:23 am
hmmm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:44 pm
WLaxdad wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:45 pm Maybe the concern regarding the girls plans after graduation is just part of the anxiety a lot of parents face with the cost of tuition these days, I know I'm anxious.

I'd be very proud if my kid graduates from a school like Northwestern but I also believe a degree in an "unfortunate" major at NW will result in a lower salary then an in-demand degree at a school without a brand name. The degree matters more than the institution in many cases especially if the 2 fields are far apart in salary.

I agree that the comments shouldn't be taken as a serious indication of their future but it's also something to think about if the school is restricting their choice of majors.
When the actual truth is, hiring companies don’t care what you major in from an Ivy, NU, Hopkins, Duke, etc. Lot of Public Health majors working as VPs at BOA, Google, etc. Amazing what alumni networks can do.
OK, maybe my viewpoint is skewed. I'm an engineer so if you don't have an ABET accredited Eng degree no job for you. If you have an MBA from Harvard you still can't be an engineer. Sounds like that's different in other fields.
I think part of the issue is around how programs are marketed by their leadership. Again, this is in ZERO way a criticism of the girls on the team.

If you look at the social media of Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn, Stanford (schools which are academically similar to NW) they spend lots of time in the summer bragging about their players' summer internships in banking, consulting, tech, etc. Have you ever seen such a post from NW?

I am not saying that NW girls wouldn't be able to get those jobs. Heck, maybe they get jobs like this. However, I think it says something that the school doesn't promote it.
i would disagree. National Champs and D1 Academic Honor Roll (13 of the team's junior, senior, or graduate student and have earned a cumulative academic GPA of 3.50 or greater.)

https://www.iwlca.org/news_article/show/1280088
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:50 pm Too many people are just over reacting to a few comments from a video. We are seeing edited footage here and the kids aren't always trying to be serious. I think giving different perspectives from players actually helps them on the recruiting trail. If you want your classic over-engaged, stuffy response, focus on Ivy's and not Northwestern.

If those kids stay in Chicagoland, they will have zero issues landing a great job. Z.E.R.O.

It's a great area, but the traffic can be horrific.
I’m gonna say too many people are overreacting to one comment made by laxdadmax.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

"We have narrowed the VP position down to you 4 highly qualified candidates. Everyone is accomplished and driven so we have 1 final test to see who get the job. Ping pong tournament to see who get the 300k per year job! Everyone pick up a ping pong paddle and let the best man/women win. Good luck" :lol: :lol:
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

WLaxdad wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:23 am
hmmm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:44 pm
WLaxdad wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:45 pm Maybe the concern regarding the girls plans after graduation is just part of the anxiety a lot of parents face with the cost of tuition these days, I know I'm anxious.

I'd be very proud if my kid graduates from a school like Northwestern but I also believe a degree in an "unfortunate" major at NW will result in a lower salary then an in-demand degree at a school without a brand name. The degree matters more than the institution in many cases especially if the 2 fields are far apart in salary.

I agree that the comments shouldn't be taken as a serious indication of their future but it's also something to think about if the school is restricting their choice of majors.
When the actual truth is, hiring companies don’t care what you major in from an Ivy, NU, Hopkins, Duke, etc. Lot of Public Health majors working as VPs at BOA, Google, etc. Amazing what alumni networks can do.
OK, maybe my viewpoint is skewed. I'm an engineer so if you don't have an ABET accredited Eng degree no job for you. If you have an MBA from Harvard you still can't be an engineer. Sounds like that's different in other fields.
That’s what I’m thinking. If your major is marketing or communications and you’re going to a school that is super well known as a great school but for business or engineering, does a degree from that school really help?
Example let’s say you are a psychology major at MIT (please I don’t know the majors there so I don’t care to hear “that wouldn’t happen because MIT doesn’t have that major”. It’s a heck example) how does that help you get a job. I would imagine you have the same chance of getting a job with a degree in psych from MIT as you would Ohio State.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxdadpat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:56 pm "We have narrowed the VP position down to you 4 highly qualified candidates. Everyone is accomplished and driven so we have 1 final test to see who get the job. Ping pong tournament to see who get the 300k per year job! Everyone pick up a ping pong paddle and let the best man/women win. Good luck" :lol: :lol:
I like it. So it doesn't matter where the sheepskin is from, it's all about winning.
I have confidence in my candidate, she's pretty good. Does a lot of things lefty,
eats, writes, apply make up, etc, but plays ping pong right handed. Too bad, I've
always felt playing lefty is good for a couple of points a game.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:56 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:50 pm Too many people are just over reacting to a few comments from a video. We are seeing edited footage here and the kids aren't always trying to be serious. I think giving different perspectives from players actually helps them on the recruiting trail. If you want your classic over-engaged, stuffy response, focus on Ivy's and not Northwestern.

If those kids stay in Chicagoland, they will have zero issues landing a great job. Z.E.R.O.

It's a great area, but the traffic can be horrific.
I’m gonna say too many people are overreacting to one comment made by laxdadmax.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

The score for the exhibition with Stanford seems to be updating at the nusports.com, but it doesn't look like there is a live scoreboard or anywhere else to follow along, which is annoying.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

ultravisitor wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:31 pm The score for the exhibition with Stanford seems to be updating at the nusports.com, but it doesn't look like there is a live scoreboard or anywhere else to follow along, which is annoying.
Jake Epstein on X has running commentary (found it after the game0
https://twitter.com/Jakeepste1n
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

NULax2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:59 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:31 pm The score for the exhibition with Stanford seems to be updating at the nusports.com, but it doesn't look like there is a live scoreboard or anywhere else to follow along, which is annoying.
Thanks.

So Scane, Coykendall, Taylor, Amonte, and Bohlig are all back and likely contributing as they did last season.

Then there the additions of Lindsey Frank and Mary Schumar, who will both likely contribute.

And then there is the possibility of Leah Holmes (who scored in the first minute), Lucy Munro, Hannah Johnson, and freshman Noel Cumberland contributing.

I don't know anything about the freshman, but seeing all the rest of those names in the mix makes me feel like the Northwestern offense will be ready.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:57 am
NULax2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:59 pm
Thanks.

So Scane, Coykendall, Taylor, Amonte, and Bohlig are all back and likely contributing as they did last season.

Then there the additions of Lindsey Frank and Mary Schumar, who will both likely contribute.

And then there is the possibility of Leah Holmes (who scored in the first minute), Lucy Munro, Hannah Johnson, and freshman Noel Cumberland contributing.

I don't know anything about the freshman, but seeing all the rest of those names in the mix makes me feel like the Northwestern offense will be ready.
summary of the exhibit with Stanford by the Daily NU

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2024/01/2 ... xhibition/

also Inside NU has a couple articles on the team

https://www.insidenu.com/2024/1/25/2404 ... -newcomers

https://www.insidenu.com/2024/1/27/2405 ... d-reserves

I'm sure they will have one on the starters soon.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

We watched it last weekend, a couple of thoughts:
  • The production value was impressive, great videography and strong audio mixing. It must have cost NU a pretty penny to get all those music rights.
  • My daughter (a 2028) also picked up on the fact that so many players' stated aspirations in life were things like "trophy wife" and "cool mom". She figured it was being said in jest, but it was weird that the editors included it in a documentary that is basically a 90-minute promotion of the NU lacrosse program. They depicted nothing of the "student" part of being a student-athlete.
  • Molly Laliberty was so genuine in admitting that even after so much success at Tufts, in her first D1 game at Syracuse, in the Dome, she was like, "What the hell did I get myself into?" It was sweet to see her former teammates traveling to watch her play and support her.
  • The segment with Hailey Rhatigan and her brother coaching littles was interesting. It looks like the two of them have a startup club that currently has 2029-2032 teams (4th-7th graders). In such a hotbed it probably makes more sense to pick up girls right when they start playing club and then develop teams well before they hit the recruiting years.
  • I liked that Kiera (?) who was a benchwarmer/scout team player was chosen to bring out the school flag for the final. She just seemed so genuinely glad to be a part of the program even though she wasn't a standout on the field. It brought to mind the importance of finding the right fit in recruiting - I see a lot of girls default to wanting an offer from the highest-ranked team possible, without necessarily examining themselves to decide if they'll really be happy if the outcome is grinding for 4 years with very little playing time.
Ready for folks to come in swinging on my 13 year old's observation... ;)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Shorts vs Skirts Debate Settled Once and for All

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

"When I was that young (grade school) the reason I wanted to go to Northwestern was because when I would watch their games they were the only team that wore shorts instead of skirts and that was huge for me."

--Erin Coykendall during recent Lake Show podcast with Izzy Scane

Obviously--shorts vs skirts is all a matter of preference for the individual. Enough folks have weighed in to make that abundantly clear.
watcherinthewoods

Re: Shorts vs Skirts Debate Settled Once and for All

Post by watcherinthewoods »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:04 am "When I was that young (grade school) the reason I wanted to go to Northwestern was because when I would watch their games they were the only team that wore shorts instead of skirts and that was huge for me."

--Erin Coykendall during recent Lake Show podcast with Izzy Scane

Obviously--shorts vs skirts is all a matter of preference for the individual. Enough folks have weighed in to make that abundantly clear.
Shorts or kilts ... the most important part of this statement is that Coykendall could actually WATCH the games. Perspectives change immeasurably when people can envision themselves. A big tipping point for women's athletics is the ability for the next generation to SEE what is possible.

"I used to think I was a weird girl or a strange girl, because I could play. But look at us, there's a lot of us. I think we're all OK." - Doris Murphy, A League of Their Own
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

NutmegCrunch wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:42 am We watched it last weekend, a couple of thoughts:
  • The production value was impressive, great videography and strong audio mixing. It must have cost NU a pretty penny to get all those music rights.
  • My daughter (a 2028) also picked up on the fact that so many players' stated aspirations in life were things like "trophy wife" and "cool mom". She figured it was being said in jest, but it was weird that the editors included it in a documentary that is basically a 90-minute promotion of the NU lacrosse program. They depicted nothing of the "student" part of being a student-athlete.
  • Molly Laliberty was so genuine in admitting that even after so much success at Tufts, in her first D1 game at Syracuse, in the Dome, she was like, "What the hell did I get myself into?" It was sweet to see her former teammates traveling to watch her play and support her.
  • The segment with Hailey Rhatigan and her brother coaching littles was interesting. It looks like the two of them have a startup club that currently has 2029-2032 teams (4th-7th graders). In such a hotbed it probably makes more sense to pick up girls right when they start playing club and then develop teams well before they hit the recruiting years.
  • I liked that Kiera (?) who was a benchwarmer/scout team player was chosen to bring out the school flag for the final. She just seemed so genuinely glad to be a part of the program even though she wasn't a standout on the field. It brought to mind the importance of finding the right fit in recruiting - I see a lot of girls default to wanting an offer from the highest-ranked team possible, without necessarily examining themselves to decide if they'll really be happy if the outcome is grinding for 4 years with very little playing time.
Ready for folks to come in swinging on my 13 year old's observation... ;)
We can start a support group. At least my 2027 wasn't alone.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”