Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OldOrange

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by OldOrange »

Would really like to see Rutgers back on the schedule, last game was 2019 in the dome with Syracuse winning 18-14(wild game). Charalambides went off for 6 goals and 2 assists for Rutgers. Covid cancelled the game in 2020 and in 2021 Rutgers could only play Big10 games, I believe. I would prefer Syracuse drop one of their easier OOC opponents and added Rutgers. I think it would benefit both programs and travel wouldn't be an issue.

As to upstate NY lacrosse, there are still quality players coming out of high school, but not the same numbers as 80's, 90's, or 2000's. There are several reasons, but I think the club team and pay to play model hurts some areas more than others.
coda

Post by coda »

anyone got color on the Cuse/Michigan scrimmage?
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

coda wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:30 pm anyone got color on the Cuse/Michigan scrimmage?
Terry Foy tweeted this out, which is the most I've seen from an official source. Not the best result for the Orange, but it is just a scrimmage. Terry said in a later IL piece that Stevens and English didn't play much. There seems to be some intrigue regarding the face-offs, sounds like they went well for Syracuse but that Mason Kohn may have struggled. Not sure who turned things around.

Terry Foy
@TerenceFoy
Jan 28
Spoke to multiple folks with knowledge of yesterday's @CuseMLAX vs. @UMichLacrosse scrimmage. I'm told:
•Halftime it was 8-6 Michigan; second half Michigan reserves looked better than Cuse's.
•"Michigan is very good in every spot. No glaring weaknesses."
•Boehm had 5G, G Hunter Taylor looked good.
•Cuse wasn’t ready for UM's 10-man, failed a lot of clears early.
•Spallina 4G
•Figueiras looked good.
•Cuse's face off unit looked promising.
coda

Post by coda »

Powellfan22 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:39 pm
coda wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:30 pm anyone got color on the Cuse/Michigan scrimmage?
Terry Foy tweeted this out, which is the most I've seen from an official source. Not the best result for the Orange, but it is just a scrimmage. Terry said in a later IL piece that Stevens and English didn't play much. There seems to be some intrigue regarding the face-offs, sounds like they went well for Syracuse but that Mason Kohn may have struggled. Not sure who turned things around.

Terry Foy
@TerenceFoy
Jan 28
Spoke to multiple folks with knowledge of yesterday's @CuseMLAX vs. @UMichLacrosse scrimmage. I'm told:
•Halftime it was 8-6 Michigan; second half Michigan reserves looked better than Cuse's.
•Spallina 4G
•Figueiras looked good.
thanks
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

coda wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:54 pm
Powellfan22 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:39 pm

Terry Foy
@TerenceFoy
Jan 28
•Spallina 4G
•Figueiras looked good.
thanks
According to Coach Gait in his press conference today he said the final was 13 -,9 Michigan. He said it was good to see things they need work on which obviously the 10 man ride which is supposedly how Michigan jumped out to a big lead. Also Stevens and English didn't play much.
DMac

Post by DMac »

My favorite day of the year bar none.
Opening day, Cuse lacrosse in the Dome.
Word has it the sun is supposed to come out
from behind the clouds today too. All I can
say about that is...well, better said here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qVHQuPQud0
GO CUSE!!!!!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Official season begins today for Cuse , be playing three games in six days which won't be a issue with team depth.

With Vermont down this year , opening schedule is softer than its ACC counterparts for a change which will allow some kinks and roster decisions to be ironed out before the first hard exam vs Maryland in two weeks.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Of the starters, which ones are ones that committed to Syracuse after Gait was hired?
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Syracuse is just boat racing Vermont. Not even remotely competitive now.

Scary ass offense.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:28 pm Of the starters, which ones are ones that committed to Syracuse after Gait was hired?
mule at attack. most all of the mids except birtwhistle, not sure about leo. 2 defenders, the goalie, the lsms except olexo, most of the shorties and all the fogos.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:09 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:28 pm Of the starters, which ones are ones that committed to Syracuse after Gait was hired?
mule at attack. most all of the mids except birtwhistle, not sure about leo. 2 defenders, the goalie, the lsms except olexo, most of the shorties and all the fogos.
Wow! Thanks so much! The future is bright!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:09 pm
That is incorrect as far as committmenst from high school. Almost all were Desko recruits

Mark, Mule, Stevens, English and couple of backups transferred to Cuse under Gait.

Starters who committed to Desko were Spallina, Hiltz, Leo, Rhoa, Birtwhistle , Dwan, Kol, Olexo, Caccamo, Rice, Clary and Figures was recruited by Desko as well by committed two months after Desko was fired.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

starting ssdm Rosa who is injured was also a Desko commit, he was replaced in lineup by Trujillo who was also a Desko recruit. Other backups who have been on man down d today , Drago, Sageder were Desko recruits and Frattegio was a Desko transfer . Deere who will be a star was aslo recruited by Desko as well but signed shortly after he was fired. McKool who will replace Mark next year in goal was Desko recruit

Gait recruited frosh McCarthy who is on man up and starting fogo Kohn was a transfer from Tufts

Desko recruited most of the homegrown players starters while Gaits name , the Cuse alumni and the NILs brought in the transfers
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Jackson Birtwistle injured?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Matnum PI wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:05 pm Jackson Birtwistle injured?
Sounds like it, not sure what the inury is but heard he could return next week against Manhattan.
SU-LAXAHOLIC

Post by SU-LAXAHOLIC »

Deere was. Gait recruit and Desko retired he was not fired
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Congrats to the Orange who are a very scary team, who have lethal scorers all over the field.
They are making my pick of having them in the Final 4, look very solid.
Can't wait until they come to Schoellkopf, for what I predict will be a match up of 2 top 10 teams.
Good luck Syracuse on a great season.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not the toughest opponent Cuse is going to face but I liked what I saw from this team yesterday, Gary's done a good job of bringing back Cuse lacrosse, no more 1v1 ball hogs who choke the offense. Ball moves quickly, heads are up and looking, 13 of the 20 goals were assisted. FOGOs did a good job, Mark is just a flat out very good GK, D middies looked good, particularly Carter Rice (to these eyes). Think Whitaker, #23, came in with a pretty good rep as a threat but Rice was on him like white on rice (too irresistible) all day. Shades of Nick Mellen quickness , he played some impressive D. Thought the D looked pretty darn good too. Loved the long poles on the fast break when Dwan (played a good game...Cole too) scored. Long pole (Olexo) pass to a shorty attack stick (Joey) to a long pole (love that Spallina would make that pass to the long pole), Dwan, and he buries it. Transfers were impressive, English, Mule', and Stevens...welcome, very glad to have you!! I thought the team looked pretty good, like the way they play and there's plenty of talent out there.
Don't see the attendance number anywhere but there was a pretty darn good crowd. I'd guess around 3,500 give or take a few.

You're the best, jw, and I agree with your post on the Big Red thread, you can't take any of these D1 teams lightly, there are a lot of talented lacrosse players out there these days. Good luck to Big Red.....I hope the gods bring plenty of sunshine to the Kopf this year too.
Finster

Post by Finster »

It’s not unlikely that Cuse starts 9-0, then drops 4 of their final five games of the season (Hobart being the only possible gimme).

I realize it’s been a while, understandable, but everyone needs to pump their brakes. Vermont lost their starting defense from last year and their FOGO; that’s any teams nightmare.

Gary couldn’t have asked for a better launch code schedule than to start with UVM, Colgate (who will absolutely have a letdown Monday), and Manhattan. C’mon, guys.

Inside Lacrosse, which pumps us every second they can (is their editor a Cuse alum?!), will annoint this team ‘the best team ever’ by the 9th game. Watch.

Let’s see where we are Memorial Day. That’s the standard, not a depleted UVM.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pump the brakes?? I haven't seen any over the top talk at all, just saying I liked what I saw and the way they play the game.
Joey with four assists...pretty good, eh?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”