Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Bartfromboston

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by Bartfromboston »

I think the biggest decision coaches need to make is the chemistry point. I have always believed that if you can rotate lots of talent through the box and through the attack line, you can create unpredictable and difficult shifts in matchups - putting a defense on its heals because they just have no idea how to guard/position/slide. The key though is to have a flow that permits this which really means players buy in to the system and players can be interchanged. That is the way most of the top programs operate because they have so much talent. When I look at this offense and probably next year too because we really dont have many seniors, we should be able to constantly have fresh and interchangeable players to confuse the defense. And that should really help with injuries. I also noticed a number of people who had to play attack/O mid or even two way, have been moved to their normal positions because our attack is much improved over last year - hopefully we dont have to move natural o-mids to attack or d-mids to two ways. Lets see how this plays out in the spring. I am very optimistic
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:27 am I still like Rosa as the 3rd attackman, playing mostly inside. He is much better off-ball and I don't think his skillset is coming out of the box. Rosa can finish, especially in tight, don't see him as a dodger.
Is he a finisher? I see him as a shooter but agree on off ball play.

And do you need him inside if you’ve got 6’7” banging bodies around the cage in Barthelme and need a feeder behind the cage along w Dattellas. Really a numbers game. Of course weve shown not that long ago that we don’t live and die by 3/3 on offense as traditional sets always.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Don’t know the details and don’t want this to turn political but my understanding is Jake Silberlicht is in the IDF right now which means he’s at war. Hope for the best for him and his family is all.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Bartfromboston wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:06 am I think the biggest decision coaches need to make is the chemistry point. I have always believed that if you can rotate lots of talent through the box and through the attack line, you can create unpredictable and difficult shifts in matchups - putting a defense on its heals because they just have no idea how to guard/position/slide. The key though is to have a flow that permits this which really means players buy in to the system and players can be interchanged. That is the way most of the top programs operate because they have so much talent. When I look at this offense and probably next year too because we really dont have many seniors, we should be able to constantly have fresh and interchangeable players to confuse the defense. And that should really help with injuries. I also noticed a number of people who had to play attack/O mid or even two way, have been moved to their normal positions because our attack is much improved over last year - hopefully we dont have to move natural o-mids to attack or d-mids to two ways. Lets see how this plays out in the spring. I am very optimistic
A LOT of last years problems were injury related. If the team can stay relatively healthy, we have a lot of options on O. That said, There is a reason you have 3 or maybe 4 "starters" at attack and midfield....effectiveness and chemistry. Though last years man-up attack line worked well as a separate unit imho. A first midfield line of healthy Bach, Herlihy and Considine will open things up a ton.
man:down

Post by man:down »

Rosa is absolutely a finisher - he has been amazing on the crease in traffic on EMO. So yeah, maybe that attack role is better for him - I just want him on the field. So this plays in to the recent comment about rolling multiple guys through both middie and attack. If the EMO group was so successful last year (Rosa and Ward were both in the top 10 in EMO goals nationally last year?) why not run some of that personnel out?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:05 am
FMUBart wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:27 am I still like Rosa as the 3rd attackman, playing mostly inside. He is much better off-ball and I don't think his skillset is coming out of the box. Rosa can finish, especially in tight, don't see him as a dodger.

And do you need him inside if you’ve got 6’7” banging bodies around the cage in Barthelme and need a feeder behind the cage along w Dattellas. Really a numbers game. Of course weve shown not that long ago that we don’t live and die by 3/3 on offense as traditional sets always.
Yes, when those "banging bodies" around the cage draw slides, guys need to find space and finish. Rosa doesn't have a crank, he's a placement shooter. Have seen him play since his youth days. I don't care what "set" they play, lacrosse is still draw and dump, especially in the 2 man game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:45 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:05 am

Yes, when those "banging bodies" around the cage draw slides, guys need to find space and finish. Rosa doesn't have a crank, he's a placement shooter. Have seen him play since his youth days. I don't care what "set" they play, lacrosse is still draw and dump, especially in the 2 man game.
Fair enough. Saw him on EMO outside so much last season I didn’t know how he operates around the crease the way we saw Ward or Barthelme.

When he gets his hands free his shot is pretty solid from that left side.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Sean Kerwick, Skaneateles '24 committed to Bucknell and Coach Fed. Heard he may be taking PG year, though. Maybe we can flip him??!!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:54 am Sean Kerwick, Skaneateles '24 committed to Bucknell and Coach Fed. Heard he may be taking PG year, though. Maybe we can flip him??!!
We didnt get Feds kid when he flipped so I suspect this may end up similarly.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

I happened to see news of a NLI signed by Cade Cordingley, Orangeville, Ont./ Hill Academy. I believe he is a middie.
man:down

Post by man:down »

schedule is out:

January 27 - Home vs. Vermont (scrimmage)
February 3 - @ Yale - (Yale & Fairfield scrimmages)
February 10 - Home vs. Colgate
February 17 - @ Michigan
February 20 - Home vs. Canisus (TUESDAY)
[Saturday Bye 2/24]
February 27 - @ Cornell (TUESDAY)
March 2 - Home vs. Robert Morris
March 9 - @ Albany
March 16 - Home vs. Le Moyne
March 23 - Home vs. Syracuse
March 30 - Home vs. UMass
April 6 - @ Richmond
April 13 - Home vs. St. Josephs
April 20 - Home vs. High Point
April 27 - @ St. Bonaventure
May 2 & May 4 - A-10 Tournament @ UMass
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

This is great news and a well deserved honor! I was lucky enough to have Hank as my RA freshman year. Congrats to a great coach and better person.

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2023/11/2 ... -fame.aspx
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

'24 Roster is kind of up. No FY photos or bios, just the jersey #s.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

SSDMs are bigger this year. Kyle Driscoll played way above his size and had a great lacrosse IQ. Sorry to see him go, but glad for the extra size. On another note, our # 2 F/O guy, Shaffer, is gone. He was injured all last season, so that might have something to do with it.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Ray Gilliam's(Hobart legend) 2025 son commits to Hobart. He plays HS lax in Vermont. Hoping he's a chip off the ol' block!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:08 pm Ray Gilliam's(Hobart legend) 2025 son commits to Hobart. He plays HS lax in Vermont. Hoping he's a chip off the ol' block!
I was wondering if there was a relationship. If he's anything like his dad, we got a potentially great player.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Though we all know they run six at a time often rather than 3A/3M but as a baseline to start here is the roster listed positions for the kids:

Attack: (while we have other talent at mid of course you could fill a six off this list and feel pretty good given it includes the top 3 returning scorers plus Rosas 21pts, Wards double digits and 60% shooting, Herlihy who’s a star bogged down by knee injuries and Wharton incoming FR in Patterson)

Evnin
Delano
Snellenburg
DiTomasso
Herlihy
Patterson
Still well
Rosa
Ward
Begina
Dattellas
Barthelme

Defense (Close):

Comelia
Bennett
Rhine
galiani (out for year?)
Wiest
johnson
rubingh
Corbett
Kinslow
Fransiak
Firth

Hard to see this group now beyond Firth. I suspect Kisnlow will play a lot early and not sure who else steps up with a lot of less experienced or younger kids.

FO: Shea, Schofield, Valent - good group of healthy

G: Wilson, LS, Fox, Faoila, Daly-depth here but who starts?

LSM: NS, Turner, Cavo, Keweley, Orlando, Duby

midfield:

Bach
Greene
Cardinali
Brown
Peterkin
Campbell
Plunkett
Swisher
Considine
Delaney

SSDM:

Dino
Race
Belle-Walker
Gullace
Ballo
Stephen’s
Schleicher
Anderson
Wimer

I’m as optimistic on SSDM as I’ve been since we had Matt Smalley. I think the talent and athleticism of Dino? race, Belle Walker, schleicher & Wimer (not to disregard the others) fan stand up to physical athletic and large offenses as well as any we’ve had under Raymond.

If you go strictly by position listing, the midfield lines would be

Bach, Greene, Considine. Not the mix we have discussed here but I kind of like it when I envision it working properly. Second line probably would be Delaney, Peterkin and Swisher is my best guess if strictly going by these listings.

I’m concerned once again about close D but have some faith in Firth and have this irrational feeling Kinslow may be a star for us. Comelia is strong but small and injured part of last year. Galiani is out supposedly. Then there’s next to no game experience beyond that.

LSM feels a little unknown but I like Duby and Turner as top two. Orlando is very solid as a fifth year. Should be ok.

Goalie: I like Wilson and these two FR are good. LK can least play at this level so overall in solid shape with health. Feels like we got off track back when we lost Drennan to concussion and then bland to the pros a few years back and never recovered.

SSDM: I’m excited for this group this year. If close D figures it out I think the A10 should not look past us at all. Wimer, Dino and Race will be very good and now have experience. Belle Walker is a terrific athlete on the U18 team and Schleicher played in a competitive NJ area on a strong team.

Attack: depth looks awesome. Just have to optimize units and pairings. But I don’t think even an above average lacrosse fan with knowledge has any does the potential of this crowd. And that’s without Liam Matthews who will run second line mid at PSU this year as a FR. With health, a group that includes Herlihy, Dattellas, Barthelme, Delano, Rosa, Ward, plus some incredibly talented FR and Sophs w Patterson being perhaps the most talented offensive player to arrive since Archer is as deep as any offense since some of this 2000a Kerwick teams. Deeper than 19-21. Not sure any step up to the Aslanian, Holden, Archer level but we’ve got potential for 6 40+ pt scorers in this group.

There’s 3-4 kids who could be starting on 30 rosters (or more) that won’t be on this offense.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Man it’s been quiet here for having our first scrimmage in six days. No idea if UVM returns a lot and will be top of AE next year but they’ve been solid for a decade or so and always have terrific Canadians on their roster so should be a good start. Then Yale following weekend up in New Haven. For some reason thought that was a round robin with a third team.

Cautiously optimistic with so much returning firepower, strong experienced FO unit and perhaps the most interesting SSDM unit we’ve had. As well as the fact that it seems like 22-23 were years of reformulating the team around new players after so many left in 20-21 who were substantial contributors. I think we make the A10 finals this year if we can stay healthy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”