UVA 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: UVA 2024

Post by molo »

He’s a smart guy with a degree from Stanford and another (or at least in progress) from UVA. He’ll do well in whatever endeavor he chooses, but I would have liked to have seen him play this year.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

molo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:13 am Tommy Smith, who started at lsm before moving to close d, has died. I didn’t realize he had been the d coach under Roy Colsey at Ridgefield. Tommy Smith was the most prominent defender of the early Starsia years. Sad to hear that he died so young.
I remember him from the mid-90s Final Four games I recorded and watched hundreds of times as a kid. Great player. Far too young.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Some Interesting news from Lars in a podcast interview with Jeff White. He says they lost 6 players at short stick from last year’s team but after Fall ball, are way ahead of where they expected to be at the position. They think they have found 5 guys they can trust now and that it could potentially become a team strength if things break right. That position would rank amongst the biggest unknowns going into Fall Ball but now thought to be a plus. Lars listed Terenzi and 1st year Will Erdman in that group with returnees Chase Yeager, Till, Chizmar.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Any predictions for what Tucker Mullen's PT will be in 2024?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:16 pm Any predictions for what Tucker Mullen's PT will be in 2024?
he's been mentioned by those that have viewed practices and scrimmages, but not as potentially cracking the lineup. that is, as making some plays, similar to harmeyer. mencke also, tho he may be closer to getting pt.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:52 am
Matnum PI wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:16 pm Any predictions for what Tucker Mullen's PT will be in 2024?
he's been mentioned by those that have viewed practices and scrimmages, but not as potentially cracking the lineup. that is, as making some plays, similar to harmeyer. mencke also, tho he may be closer to getting pt.
Makes sense. Thank you. Was hoping something miraculous happened during the off-season. #FantasyLacrosseDreams
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
molo

Post by molo »

Roster is finally up on the team website. Interesting to see that Boyden is pursuing a grad degree in education, which makes sense if he’s going in coaching. My former profession can use all the smart liberal arts grads that it can get.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

molo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:24 pm Roster is finally up on the team website. Interesting to see that Boyden is pursuing a grad degree in education, which makes sense if he’s going in coaching. My former profession can use all the smart liberal arts grads that it can get.
hmmm... if he has a good experience, maybe he's not dying to get out and earn all that cheddah, and may stick around for year 2.
molo

Post by molo »

Sounds like a plan.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Matt Nunes UVa goalie joins Quint on the podcast

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... es-e2d7o9p
viho

Post by viho »

James Madison (and ODU to a much lesser extent) is on the rise in UVA’s backyard. Watching to see their impact on UVA, VT , UMD and even PSU recruiting. Recruiting higher academic profile football and basketball players doest’t work if you’re not winning. JMU could take a bite out of UVA’s bottom line. Maybe JMU is the next men’s D1 lax addition. We can’t forget their women’s team.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

viho wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:54 pm James Madison (and ODU to a much lesser extent) is on the rise in UVA’s backyard. Watching to see their impact on UVA, VT , UMD and even PSU recruiting. Recruiting higher academic profile football and basketball players doest’t work if you’re not winning. JMU could take a bite out of UVA’s bottom line. Maybe JMU is the next men’s D1 lax addition. We can’t forget their women’s team.
Sounds like you are making a football post on a lacrosse site. Virginia football has been in a low place the last few years, but ultimately, it's an arms race and you need to have a lot of money to play for any length of time. Virginia is building fancy new football only facilities and a billionaire alumni donor is working on making their facilities and NIL competitive with their current conference peers. The jury is still out on how all that shakes out. I have no idea whether JMU has the alumni financial support, or desire, to compete in that arena over the long term. As to whether JMU develops a D1 men's lacrosse program. I suspect, It would have little impact on Virginia, as the creation of a very competitive program at Richmond, hasn't had a negative impact either.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

blue angels wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:18 am
viho wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:54 pm James Madison (and ODU to a much lesser extent) is on the rise in UVA’s backyard. Watching to see their impact on UVA, VT , UMD and even PSU recruiting. Recruiting higher academic profile football and basketball players doest’t work if you’re not winning. JMU could take a bite out of UVA’s bottom line. Maybe JMU is the next men’s D1 lax addition. We can’t forget their women’s team.
Sounds like you are making a football post on a lacrosse site. Virginia football has been in a low place the last few years, but ultimately, it's an arms race and you need to have a lot of money to play for any length of time. Virginia is building fancy new football only facilities and a billionaire alumni donor is working on making their facilities and NIL competitive with their current conference peers. The jury is still out on how all that shakes out. I have no idea whether JMU has the alumni financial support, or desire, to compete in that arena over the long term. As to whether JMU develops a D1 men's lacrosse program. I suspect, It would have little impact on Virginia, as the creation of a very competitive program at Richmond, hasn't had a negative impact either.
I would think the next team in the commonwealth to support a D1 lacrosse program would be in Lynchburg at Liberty. I do not see one of the public schools able to support it. VCU, GMU, WM, RU, Longwood, VT, ODU, all also have women's lacrosse programs. In any case none of this would impact recruiting at UVA as that is the national brand. They will get strong in state players either way but still recruit everywhere. The biggest current risk to UVA is potential shake up of the ACC but that could also be a benefit. Time will tell.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

liberty would make some sense primarily because they have the most gung ho athletic department. they've got a real mission as it were to funnel energy and dollars into a whole athletic department, build their brand from it. their complex is crazy.

w&m could if they wanted to pursue heads in beds, though i doubt that's a problem for them. vt if they ever wanted to expand the department, but for most p4/p5's that's not on the radar. jmu has a certain amount of momentum from football and hoops, and yeah have a women's lax natty, so a liberty-like fervor could take hold, but you're talking about revenue sports that at least try or have a chance to pay "for themselves", which is altogether different than adding to the size of the department.

not sure what op's post was regarding competition between uva (and vt, umd and psu?) and jmu. there are probably some fans from over the mountain that are fine following the dukes now, but there's not a lot of direct competition for players.
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:52 pm liberty would make some sense primarily because they have the most gung ho athletic department. they've got a real mission as it were to funnel energy and dollars into a whole athletic department, build their brand from it. their complex is crazy.

w&m could if they wanted to pursue heads in beds, though i doubt that's a problem for them. vt if they ever wanted to expand the department, but for most p4/p5's that's not on the radar. jmu has a certain amount of momentum from football and hoops, and yeah have a women's lax natty, so a liberty-like fervor could take hold, but you're talking about revenue sports that at least try or have a chance to pay "for themselves", which is altogether different than adding to the size of the department.

not sure what op's post was regarding competition between uva (and vt, umd and psu?) and jmu. there are probably some fans from over the mountain that are fine following the dukes now, but there's not a lot of direct competition for players.
The program that would most likely be impacted by a JMU men's team? Christopher Newport. CNU has built a strong program drawing kids from Northern Virginia and Richmond area schools, some of whom could absolutely succeed at CAA or A-10 type programs. VMI, High Point, and UMBC also regularly pull Virginia kids who aren't UVa level lax recruits. The Virginia Tech club program might take a dip, too.

But it's not going to happen...
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

molo

Post by molo »

Still no speculation as to whether the third attackman will be the grad transfer or the first yearman. I’m guessing they’ll both toggle between attack and midfield for a while.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

molo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:15 pm Still no speculation as to whether the third attackman will be the grad transfer or the first yearman. I’m guessing they’ll both toggle between attack and midfield for a while.
It’s gonna be a top 3 attack regardless of who trots out with Shellenberger and Cormier this Spring.
molo

Post by molo »

No argument about that.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

molo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:40 pm No argument about that.
Direct quote from Lars recent player write ups on the Virginia official website:
"McCabe will be an immediate impact player with our program in his first spring in Charlottesville.”
I am speculating Millon to Attack and Boyden to midfield, where the latter has some experience playing before.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”