The future conflict in the South China Sea

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

The future conflict in the South China Sea

Post by cradleandshoot »

No one is really looking at this potential tempest in a teapot. The ChiComs have laid claim to The South China Sea as belonging to them. Their new and improved navy is being pretty aggressive in defending their newly claimed territory. Nobody notices because the rest of the world is too preoccupied with Israel and Ukraine. The ChiComs sure do know how to take advantage of a golden opportunity. No matter how much they get they want more and more. They are acting just like capitalists.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
PizzaSnake

Re: The future conflict in the South China Sea

Post by PizzaSnake »

There’s another thread for this topic, but I’ll let the mods tidy up.

Now, another, more concerning gambit:

“Dec. 2, 2023, 5:00 a.m. ET
The newcomer landed in a district of northern Toronto and announced his bid for Canada’s Parliament. Though few knew him, an important factor helped offset his lack of name recognition — the backing of prominent local Chinese-Canadians.

“I’m very happy that I feel very well supported, surrounded by friends,” the candidate, Han Dong, said at a news conference.

But a government-appointed special rapporteur said there was “well-grounded suspicion” Mr. Dong also had help from a hidden source as he vied for the Liberal Party’s nomination: the Chinese Consulate.

Mr. Dong’s victory — eventually propelling him to Parliament in 2019 — is one of several Canadian campaigns that have raised fears about Chinese election interference.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/02/worl ... china.html
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nobody notices because the rest of the world is too preoccupied with Israel and Ukraine.

600,000 killed in Tigray (Ethiopia):

https://www.ft.com/content/2f385e95-089 ... 8c24adf4e7

400,000 killed in South Sudan war:

https://www.cfr.org/global-conflict-tra ... outh-sudan

More wars in Africa. The rest of the world looks the other way. It should learn to apply a consistent standard across the board.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:40 pm No one is really looking at this potential tempest in a teapot. The ChiComs have laid claim to The South China Sea as belonging to them. Their new and improved navy is being pretty aggressive in defending their newly claimed territory. Nobody notices because the rest of the world is too preoccupied with Israel and Ukraine. The ChiComs sure do know how to take advantage of a golden opportunity. No matter how much they get they want more and more. They are acting just like capitalists.
Literally everyone has been looking at this for decades. Especially the militaries of the world. Your media feed might be ignoring it, which might lead to you ignoring it.

7th Fleet ring a bell? They were having fun there few days ago. Nice of you to remember this issue after so long.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:13 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:40 pm No one is really looking at this potential tempest in a teapot. The ChiComs have laid claim to The South China Sea as belonging to them. Their new and improved navy is being pretty aggressive in defending their newly claimed territory. Nobody notices because the rest of the world is too preoccupied with Israel and Ukraine. The ChiComs sure do know how to take advantage of a golden opportunity. No matter how much they get they want more and more. They are acting just like capitalists.
Literally everyone has been looking at this for decades. Especially the militaries of the world. Your media feed might be ignoring it, which might lead to you ignoring it.

7th Fleet ring a bell? They were having fun there few days ago. Nice of you to remember this issue after so long.
Everybody is looking at it but no one has the giblets to discuss what Chinas aggression is all about. The ChiComs are itching for a fight. They keep instigating them every damn day. So if everybody is reading about it how come Xi's old friend Joe Biden is ignoring it? I'm bringing it up here because as of when I posted this there has been no substantial debate about how to deal with the ChiComs. Do they have a legitimate claim to the South China Sea?? They are daring the West to do something about it. Except for a few freedom of navigation exercises that draw ChiCom assets like flies on dog doo. No other nation wants to confront the ChiComs because they understand Xis warriors are just looking for any excuse to go off on some other nation. Let's forget about all of this and concentrate all of our attention on Israel and Ukraine. The whole reason for posting this is to get forum members talking about it to the same extent they discuss Ukraine and Israel. So what is your opinion? Do you have any solutions? Do you even care that the South China Sea is shaping up to be where a massive military conflict could break out at any time?That is what the ChiComs want. They are the big dogs in this part of the world. They are calling the shots.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Strategy paper -- Naval blockade of Taiwan

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/wp-cont ... Taiwan.pdf
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:14 am

Everybody is looking at it but no one has the giblets to discuss what Chinas aggression is all about. The ChiComs are itching for a fight.
So...why not take the hard lessons we learned over the last 70 years, and walk away? What the heck do we care about Taiwan? Let the Chinese ruin it if they're dumb enough to take it.

If they take it? It will no longer be Taiwan, economically speaking. They know that. Which is yet another reason they've left it alone.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:38 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:14 am

Everybody is looking at it but no one has the giblets to discuss what Chinas aggression is all about. The ChiComs are itching for a fight.
So...why not take the hard lessons we learned over the last 70 years, and walk away? What the heck do we care about Taiwan? Let the Chinese ruin it if they're dumb enough to take it.

If they take it? It will no longer be Taiwan, economically speaking. They know that. Which is yet another reason they've left it alone.
How many lives would an invasion cost?? 7/8 of the world doesn't like the deaths in Gaza and they want it to end ASAP. China will do whatever it wants. That is sorta reminiscent of what Japan wanted to accomplish at the onset of WW2. When 7/8 of the world wants to hold China accountable their answer will be take a hike. So what your saying is China can do whatever it wants with their only fear being sanctions.🥺 Why do you think China has invested insane amounts of money on their Navy. When you own a spanking shiny brand new Ferrari sooner or later you wanna take it out for a test drive. FTR there is a large # of Taiwan citizens who live in the USA and still have family in Taiwan. One of those people is a GI doctor my wife has worked with for decades. He is terrified for his family because he has no delusions of the danger they are in. Not that most Americans care as your sentiments seem to prove. :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 am How many lives would an invasion cost?? 7/8 of the world doesn't like the deaths in Gaza and they want it to end ASAP. China will do whatever it wants. That is sorta reminiscent of what Japan wanted to accomplish at the onset of WW2. When 7/8 of the world wants to hold China accountable their answer will be take a hike. So what your saying is China can do whatever it wants with their only fear being sanctions.🥺
I've said the same thing for years.

If the military safety of a country is SO vital to US interests.....draw up a treaty and ratify it. Then park US troops there. Now China CAN'T invade.

I'm on board with that. What I am NOT on board with, is making war and shipping weapons around the world EASY. Look at all the dumb, pointless outcomes we've had since WWII because of this game we play.
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 am Why do you think China has invested insane amounts of money on their Navy.
Same reason we do: jobs bill.

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 am When you own a spanking shiny brand new Ferrari sooner or later you wanna take it out for a test drive.
Do you think Xi noticed what happens when you take a army that has never fired a shot, and try and invade a country (Putin) that has US weaponry and training? Let's not assume our enemies are idiots.
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 am FTR there is a large # of Taiwan citizens who live in the USA and still have family in Taiwan. One of those people is a GI doctor my wife has worked with for decades. He is terrified for his family because he has no delusions of the danger they are in. Not that most Americans care as your sentiments seem to prove. :roll:
China has to be willing to lose all their trade with the US. And for what? What do they "get" if they take Taiwan?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

While there's serious danger of a military invasion of Taiwan, it's by far the most expensive and dangerous option for China.

The much better option for them is to make it an inevitability much as they did with Hong Kong.

I see more danger to others in the South China Sea. China wants full hegemony over the region.

It is in those countries' interests to resist that hegemony without full scale conflict and it's in the rest of the world's interest to maintain open trade with all parties, if possible.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:40 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 am How many lives would an invasion cost?? 7/8 of the world doesn't like the deaths in Gaza and they want it to end ASAP. China will do whatever it wants. That is sorta reminiscent of what Japan wanted to accomplish at the onset of WW2. When 7/8 of the world wants to hold China accountable their answer will be take a hike. So what your saying is China can do whatever it wants with their only fear being sanctions.🥺
I've said the same thing for years.

If the military safety of a country is SO vital to US interests.....draw up a treaty and ratify it. Then park US troops there. Now China CAN'T invade.

I'm on board with that. What I am NOT on board with, is making war and shipping weapons around the world EASY. Look at all the dumb, pointless outcomes we've had since WWII because of this game we play.
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 am Why do you think China has invested insane amounts of money on their Navy.
Same reason we do: jobs bill.

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 am When you own a spanking shiny brand new Ferrari sooner or later you wanna take it out for a test drive.
Do you think Xi noticed what happens when you take a army that has never fired a shot, and try and invade a country (Putin) that has US weaponry and training? Let's not assume our enemies are idiots.
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 am FTR there is a large # of Taiwan citizens who live in the USA and still have family in Taiwan. One of those people is a GI doctor my wife has worked with for decades. He is terrified for his family because he has no delusions of the danger they are in. Not that most Americans care as your sentiments seem to prove. :roll:
China has to be willing to lose all their trade with the US. And for what? What do they "get" if they take Taiwan?
Pox Americana?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/us ... r-AA1lU4LX

"US plans to reclaim Pacific airfield from where atom bombings were launched. The US Air Force has been planning to reclaim the Pacific Island airfield – the same place from where they once launched atomic bombs on Japan – and bring it back into commission as it takes steps for broadening its basing options in case of any hostilities with China, said the service’s top officer in the Pacific.

Speaking in an interview with Nikkei Asia, commander of Pacific Air Forces Gen Kenneth Wilsbach said that North Airfield, which is located on the island of Tinian, will turn into an “extensive” facility after it has been completely reclaimed from a forest which has grown over the base since it was abandoned by the last US Army Air Force units in 1946.

“If you pay attention in the next few months, you will see significant progress, especially at Tinian North,” said Wilsbach. Facilities are also being added by the Air Force at Tinian International Airport, which is in the centre of the island."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:15 pm https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/us ... r-AA1lU4LX

"US plans to reclaim Pacific airfield from where atom bombings were launched. The US Air Force has been planning to reclaim the Pacific Island airfield – the same place from where they once launched atomic bombs on Japan – and bring it back into commission as it takes steps for broadening its basing options in case of any hostilities with China, said the service’s top officer in the Pacific.

Speaking in an interview with Nikkei Asia, commander of Pacific Air Forces Gen Kenneth Wilsbach said that North Airfield, which is located on the island of Tinian, will turn into an “extensive” facility after it has been completely reclaimed from a forest which has grown over the base since it was abandoned by the last US Army Air Force units in 1946.

“If you pay attention in the next few months, you will see significant progress, especially at Tinian North,” said Wilsbach. Facilities are also being added by the Air Force at Tinian International Airport, which is in the centre of the island."

My uncle Luke was an aircraft mechanic stationed on Tinian. He was a commercial artist by trade. He painted the designs on quite a few airplanes. Upon finishing one work of art he backed up to look at it and fell off of the scaffold and hurt his back. The army air corps proudly gave him a purple heart for his injury. It was an inside joke for he and my dad for years. The grizzled old 3 army infantry veteran that my dad was would kid him with this same question at family gatherings... Hey Luke, tell us again how you earned that purple 💜 . My uncle Lukes pat answer was to ask for another piece of rum cake and the bottle of rum to kick it up a notch. I wasn't even aware that the airfield on Tinian even existed anymore.

Return to “POLITICS”