January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:38 am You can't post a link to CNN. That is all propaganda. You need to post a link to a guy on the site formerly know as twitter or one of Old Soldier's go to sources....Washington Examiner, National Review or New York Post or maybe The Hill.
Not necessary. SCOTUS will be just fine. No need to dampen the self-licking "reasoning" in this forum.
Apparently, insurrection is in the eye of one appointed state court judge in a civil case. ...finding of fact. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:31 pm What I'm telling you is that your party has a serious conundrum with this case: do you respect a State's rights to run their own elections the way the voters see fit? If the answer is yes? Then Trump will be off the ballot.

If the answer is no, and the Federal Government gets to decide what each State's rules are....you see what's coming, yeah?
Yes, for state & local govt offices. Not for deciding who qualifies for election to a national office. Get in touch with reality.

Should state courts start deciding who can run for Congress too ? Couldn't you liberal crazies in CO find a way to keep Boebert off the ballot ?
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:21 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:31 pm What I'm telling you is that your party has a serious conundrum with this case: do you respect a State's rights to run their own elections the way the voters see fit? If the answer is yes? Then Trump will be off the ballot.

If the answer is no, and the Federal Government gets to decide what each State's rules are....you see what's coming, yeah?
Yes, for state & local govt offices. Not for deciding who qualifies for election to a national office. Get in touch with reality.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Holy Cow, do you need to go back to your local Junior High Civics class.

Question one: In Kentucky, can you vote for the Republican Nominee for President if you aren't a registered Republican? How about Virginia?

Question two: does the phrase "Open Primary" or "Partially Open Primary" ring a bell anywhere?? :lol:

Question three: are you REALLY so ignorant (while also being condescending with your "get in touch with reality") that you think State rules like Question one are set Federally, or is each State different?

Question four: are you SO ignorant, that you WANT the Federal government to set election rules for National office? Because if you are that civically-challenged, the Democrats will never lose control of Congress again and jump for joy, because things like gerrymandering Congressional districts---set by each State currently----- will be set to a Federal Standard.

Question five: geez dude, you complained about "some States" changing their State election rules because of Covid. You know perfectly well that all election rules....National or otherwise..... are set by each individual State. I guess the question here is: did you forget this, or something? ;)
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Holy Cow, do you need to go back to your local Junior High Civics class.

Question one: In Kentucky, can you vote for the Republican Nominee for President if you aren't a registered Republican? How about Virginia?

Question two: does the phrase "Open Primary" or "Partially Open Primary" ring a bell anywhere?? :lol:

Question three: are you REALLY so ignorant (while also being condescending with your "get in touch with reality") that you think State rules like Question one are set Federally, or is each State different?

Question four: are you SO ignorant, that you WANT the Federal government to set election rules for National office? Because if you are that civically-challenged, the Democrats will never lose control of Congress again and jump for joy, because things like gerrymandering Congressional districts---set by each State currently----- will be set to a Federal Standard.

Question five: geez dude, you complained about "some States" changing their State election rules because of Covid. You know perfectly well that all election rules....National or otherwise..... are set by each individual State. I guess the question here is: did you forget this, or something? ;)
Civics for Dummies -- the US Constitution establishes the qualifications to run for Pres, VP & Congress.
Your "questions" are just more jibberish bluster.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:52 pm

Civics for Dummies -- the US Constitution establishes the qualifications to run for Pres, VP & Congress.
That's demonstrably not true.

If I live in Kentucky, I can't vote to put Trump on the Federal ballot for President, because I'm not a registered Republican. In Colorado, I can.

The State law dictates whether or not I can vote to put Trump on the ballot for POTUS.

How do you not understand that this supersedes the US Constitution's "qualifications to run of Pres".

The STATE decides who gets to get put on the ballot, OS. How is this not clear?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:18 am
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:52 pm

That's demonstrably not true.

If I live in Kentucky, I can't vote to put Trump on the Federal ballot for President, because I'm not a registered Republican. In Colorado, I can.

The State law dictates whether or not I can vote to put Trump on the ballot for POTUS.

How do you not understand that this supersedes the US Constitution's "qualifications to run of Pres".

The STATE decides who gets to get put on the ballot, OS. How is this not clear?
Does state law determine what disqualifies a candidate for insurrection ?
It's not the 14th Amendment to the CO Constitution.
Let's see what SCOTUS has to say.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The US Constitution CLEARLY establishes three things that are required to be eligible to be President.

Must be 35 years old
Must be a natural citizen (Arnold example)
Cannot engage in Insurrection against the US.

That last one from Article 3 of the 14th.

Two courts now have found that DJT engaged in insurrection. That may be the most important finding in the SCOCOL decision…along with the finding that he was an Officer Under the Consitution.

The jig may be up…he’s not eligible under the Constitution.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:37 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:19 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:11 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:35 am I guess I'm not understanding how this ruling came about. Isn't the concept of innocent until proven guilty a foundation of our legal system? The last time I checked trump hasn't been convicted of any offense yet. Would that not be the Colorado court putting the cart before the horse? They are taking punitive action against a man who is still technically innocent. Is my logic flawed or is there something here that I'm missing? If by some reason trump is cleared of the conspiracy charges against him then the Colorado ruling becomes meaningless. If trump is convicted and I believe he will then there is merit to the Colorado ruling.
Sorry I certainly can't speak on legal aspects C&S but sure looks like Democrat desperation (see polls) and doesn't look much like, what most I think consider, democracy. Buckle up, it's only going to get worse.
A cynical person could apply a term near and dear to the hearts of all FLP folks...voter suppression at its finest. Unless this decision is reversed there are folks in Colorado who will be denied their right and privilege to vote for the candidate of their choice. The hatred directed at trump is the rationale for denying Americans the option of voting for him. The 14th amendment never clarifies that the POTUS is included in the intent of the amendment. This should be a humdinger for the Supremes to sort out. I'll go out on a limb and predict a 6 to 3 decision overturning the Colorado decision. IMO without trump being convicted of anything yet this decision is not even in the same category of due process.
Citizens n Colorado are as bound by the Constitution as the rest of us. Application of a provision of the Constitution that relates to the qualifications for office is not anti-democratic or voter suppression. Assume I want to vote for a 24 year old for President, but can’t because of the Constitutional limits on age. Same thing.

Your understanding of due process is completely flawed. And several folks have tried to politely correct you, and suggested that you read the decisions. But no, not interested in that?
Well it looks like the SCOTUS will have the final say on this matter. My question to you counselor, is it kosher to judge somebody on an allegation they haven't been convicted on in a court of law? Your familiar with the concept of innocent until proven guilty. So what if trump is miraculously found not guilty? Kinda creates a legal conundrum does it not? IMO the Colorado Supremes will be overturned by the DC Supremes. I have no problem with their decision we're it not for the fact that in the eyes of the legal system trump is still an innocent man. The hatred for trump supercedes the rule of law. I hope you understand this decision could very well blow up in the face of all trump haters. Republicans are a mixed bag when it comes to trump. Keeping a still innocent man off of the ballot in a state is terrible optics. That is voter suppression on steroids counselor. 7 judges in a split decision will suppress the votes of millions of trump voters. It was a stupid ruling that might come back to bite Democrats in the butt. What it tells me is that upper echelon of Democrat leadership is still scared to death of trump and his minions. Looks like the 2024 election will take place on 2 fronts, the voting booth and in the courts.
1.3 million people voted for trump in 2020. That is not an insignificant number of people on the cusp of having their vote suppressed. I know how Democrats feel about voter suppression. ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:01 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:35 am I guess I'm not understanding how this ruling came about. Isn't the concept of innocent until proven guilty a foundation of our legal system? The last time I checked trump hasn't been convicted of any offense yet. Would that not be the Colorado court putting the cart before the horse? They are taking punitive action against a man who is still technically innocent. Is my logic flawed or is there something here that I'm missing? If by some reason trump is cleared of the conspiracy charges against him then the Colorado ruling becomes meaningless. If trump is convicted and I believe he will then there is merit to the Colorado ruling.
Sorry I certainly can't speak on legal aspects C&S but sure looks like Democrat desperation (see polls) and doesn't look much like, what most I think consider, democracy. Buckle up, it's only going to get worse.
A cynical person could apply a term near and dear to the hearts of all FLP folks...voter suppression at its finest. Unless this decision is reversed there are folks in Colorado who will be denied their right and privilege to vote for the candidate of their choice. The hatred directed at trump is the rationale for denying Americans the option of voting for him. The 14th amendment never clarifies that the POTUS is included in the intent of the amendment. This should be a humdinger for the Supremes to sort out. I'll go out on a limb and predict a 6 to 3 decision overturning the Colorado decision. IMO without trump being convicted of anything yet this decision is not even in the same category of due process.
Citizens n Colorado are as bound by the Constitution as the rest of us. Application of a provision of the Constitution that relates to the qualifications for office is not anti-democratic or voter suppression. Assume I want to vote for a 24 year old for President, but can’t because of the Constitutional limits on age. Same thing.

Your understanding of due process is completely flawed. And several folks have tried to politely correct you, and suggested that you read the decisions. But no, not interested in that?
Well it looks like the SCOTUS will have the final say on this matter. My question to you counselor, is it kosher to judge somebody on an allegation they haven't been convicted on in a court of law? Your familiar with the concept of innocent until proven guilty. So what if trump is miraculously found not guilty? Kinda creates a legal conundrum does it not? IMO the Colorado Supremes will be overturned by the DC Supremes. I have no problem with their decision we're it not for the fact that in the eyes of the legal system trump is still an innocent man. The hatred for trump supercedes the rule of law. I hope you understand this decision could very well blow up in the face of all trump haters. Republicans are a mixed bag when it comes to trump. Keeping a still innocent man off of the ballot in a state is terrible optics. That is voter suppression on steroids counselor. 7 judges in a split decision will suppress the votes of millions of trump voters. It was a stupid ruling that might come back to bite Democrats in the butt. What it tells me is that upper echelon of Democrat leadership is still scared to death of trump and his minions. Looks like the 2024 election will take place on 2 fronts, the voting booth and in the courts.
Let me give it a last try.

Convicted in a court of law/presumed innocent -- these concepts relate to a proceeding in which we are aiming at taking away a citizen's liberty. That is not the case here, so these concepts don't really apply. The case is about the qualifications to be on the ballot for the presidency (35 years old, a citizen, not engaged in insurrection...).

I agree, however, that the situation is novel. But the text of the 14th Amendment does not on its face require a "conviction" of a crime; it precludes from the ballot a person who, while in a state or federal office, engaged in insurrection or aided persons engaged in violence to the Constitution. I don't think any of us know exactly what that means until the Supreme Court of the United States says what it means, which, after all, is the Court's role in our systems of government. The Court could certainly find a way to hold that criminal conviction is required. But that would mean that each of the Civil War bad actors, who were in the minds of the creators of the 14th Amendment, would have required a trial and a conviction too, right? So what's a "textualist" to do?

In an earlier post, I -- like most if not all folks here -- noted that I would prefer that he be defeated soundly at the ballot box (not that he would ever, ever accept a defeat given his last go round where he lost soundly and then ripped the country apart). I and everyone else understand that this decision could be the catalyst for something worse or at least very bad, as people will feel disenfranchised.

You say "7 judges in a split decision." It seems you have yet to read the decision. Six of the 7 agreed that he engaged in "insurrection" within the meaning of Section 3. On that issue, not a split decision.

You say that this tells you that "upper echelon of Democrat leadership is still scared to death of trump." Again, the case was brought by Colorado members of the GOP, including, I think, the former majority leader of the CO House and Senate. It had the support of liberal, so-called, groups for sure. But the plaintiffs in the case were Republicans. Having said that, I, anyway, am scared to death for this country at the prospect of Trump threading the electoral college needle again.

I've tried to respond to the points you raise. You have a tendency to raise the same issues over and over, even after people respond directly to those points. I would again urge you to read more than you plainly do. These topics cannot adequately be picked up by osmosis or through snippets on a lacrosse board.
Typical Lax Dad

Should state courts start deciding who can run for Congress too ? Couldn't you liberal crazies in CO find a way to keep Boebert off the ballot ?
More whining
Typical Lax Dad

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:05 am The US Constitution CLEARLY establishes three things that are required to be eligible to be President.

Must be 35 years old
Must be a natural citizen (Arnold example)
Cannot engage in Insurrection against the US.

That last one from Article 3 of the 14th.

Two courts now have found that DJT engaged in insurrection. That may be the most important finding in the SCOCOL decision…along with the finding that he was an Officer Under the Consitution.

The jig may be up…he’s not eligible under the Constitution.

Old Patriot doesn’t care about that third item.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

1.3 million people voted for trump in 2020. That is not an insignificant number of people on the cusp of having their vote suppressed. I know how Democrats feel about voter suppression. ;)
Yep, and why I mentioned "Democrat desperation" on an earlier post.

Feels like a good place to revisit Brook's, IMO, astute article from earlier this year re who/what created Trumpism in the first place:

"What if We’re the Bad Guys Here?

By David Brooks, August 8, 2020

Donald Trump seems to get indicted on a weekly basis. Yet he is utterly dominating his Republican rivals in the polls, and he is tied with Joe Biden in the general election surveys. Trump’s poll numbers are stronger against Biden now than at any time in 2020.

What’s going on here? Why is this guy still politically viable, after all he’s done?

We anti-Trumpers often tell a story to explain that. It was encapsulated in a quote the University of North Carolina political scientist Marc Hetherington gave to my colleague Thomas B. Edsall recently: “Republicans see a world changing around them uncomfortably fast, and they want it to slow down, maybe even take a step backward. But if you are a person of color, a woman who values gender equality or an L.G.B.T. person, would you want to go back to 1963? I doubt it.”

In this story, we anti-Trumpers are the good guys, the forces of progress and enlightenment. The Trumpers are reactionary bigots and authoritarians. Many Republicans support Trump no matter what, according to this story, because at the end of the day, he’s still the bigot in chief, the embodiment of their resentments and that’s what matters to them most.

I partly agree with this story, but it’s also a monument to elite self-satisfaction.

So let me try another story on you. I ask you to try on a vantage point in which we anti-Trumpers are not the eternal good guys. In fact, we’re the bad guys.

This story begins in the 1960s, when high school grads had to go off to fight in Vietnam but the children of the educated class got college deferments. It continues in the 1970s, when the authorities imposed busing on working-class areas in Boston but not on the upscale communities like Wellesley where they themselves lived.

The ideal that we’re all in this together was replaced with the reality that the educated class lives in a world up here and everybody else is forced into a world down there. Members of our class are always publicly speaking out for the marginalized, but somehow we always end up building systems that serve ourselves.

The most important of those systems is the modern meritocracy. We built an entire social order that sorts and excludes people on the basis of the quality that we possess most: academic achievement. Highly educated parents go to elite schools, marry each other, work at high-paying professional jobs and pour enormous resources into our children, who get into the same elite schools, marry each other and pass their exclusive class privileges down from generation to generation.

Daniel Markovits summarized years of research in his book “The Meritocracy Trap”: “Today, middle-class children lose out to the rich children at school, and middle-class adults lose out to elite graduates at work. Meritocracy blocks the middle class from opportunity. Then it blames those who lose a competition for income and status that, even when everyone plays by the rules, only the rich can win.”

The meritocracy isn’t only a system of exclusion; it’s an ethos. During his presidency, Barack Obama used the word “smart” in the context of his policies over 900 times. The implication was that anybody who disagreed with his policies (and perhaps didn’t go to Harvard Law) must be stupid.

Over the last decades, we’ve taken over whole professions and locked everybody else out. When I began my journalism career in Chicago in the 1980s, there were still some old crusty working-class guys around the newsroom. Now we’re not only a college-dominated profession; we’re an elite-college-dominated profession. Only 0.8 percent of college students graduate from the super-elite 12 schools (the Ivy League colleges, plus Stanford, M.I.T., Duke and the University of Chicago). A 2018 study found that more than 50 percent of the staff writers at the beloved New York Times and The Wall Street Journal attended one of the 29 most elite universities in the nation.

Writing in Compact magazine, Michael Lind observes that the upper-middle-class job market looks like a candelabrum: “Those who manage to squeeze through the stem of a few prestigious colleges and universities in their youth can then branch out to fill leadership positions in almost every vocation.”

Or, as Markovits puts it, “elite graduates monopolize the best jobs and at the same time invent new technologies that privilege superskilled workers, making the best jobs better and all other jobs worse.”

Members of our class also segregate ourselves into a few booming metro areas: San Francisco, D.C., Austin and so on. In 2020, Biden won only 500 or so counties, but together they are responsible for 71 percent of the American economy. Trump won over 2,500 counties, responsible for only 29 percent. Once we find our cliques, we don’t get out much. In the book “Social Class in the 21st Century,” the sociologist Mike Savage and his co-researchers found that the members of the highly educated class tend to be the most insular, measured by how often we have contact with those who have jobs unlike our own.

Armed with all kinds of economic, cultural and political power, we support policies that help ourselves. Free trade makes the products we buy cheaper, and our jobs are unlikely to be moved to China. Open immigration makes our service staff cheaper, but new, less-educated immigrants aren’t likely to put downward pressure on our wages.

Like all elites, we use language and mores as tools to recognize one another and exclude others. Using words like “problematic,” “cisgender,” “Latinx” and “intersectional” is a sure sign that you’ve got cultural capital coming out of your ears. Meanwhile, members of the less-educated classes have to walk on eggshells because they never know when we’ve changed the usage rules so that something that was sayable five years ago now gets you fired.

We also change the moral norms in ways that suit ourselves, never mind the cost to others. For example, there used to be a norm that discouraged people from having children outside marriage, but that got washed away during our period of cultural dominance, as we eroded norms that seemed judgmental or that might inhibit individual freedom.

After this social norm was eroded, a funny thing happened. Members of our class still overwhelmingly married and had children within wedlock. People without our resources, unsupported by social norms, were less able to do that. As Adrian Wooldridge points out in his magisterial 2021 book, “The Aristocracy of Talent,” “Sixty percent of births to women with only a high school certificate occur out of wedlock, compared with only 10 percent to women with a university degree.” That matters, he continues, because “the rate of single parenting is the most significant predictor of social immobility in the country.”

Does this mean that I think the people in my class are vicious and evil? No. Most of us are earnest, kind and public-spirited. But we take for granted and benefit from systems that have become oppressive. Elite institutions have become so politically progressive in part because the people in them want to feel good about themselves as they take part in systems that exclude and reject.

It’s easy to understand why people in less-educated classes would conclude that they are under economic, political, cultural and moral assault — and why they’ve rallied around Trump as their best warrior against the educated class. He understood that it’s not the entrepreneurs who seem most threatening to workers; it’s the professional class. Trump understood that there was great demand for a leader who would stick his thumb in our eyes on a daily basis and reject the whole epistemic regime that we rode in on.

If distrustful populism is your basic worldview, the Trump indictments seem like just another skirmish in the class war between the professionals and the workers, another assault by a bunch of coastal lawyers who want to take down the man who most aggressively stands up to them. Of course, the indictments don’t cause Trump supporters to abandon him. They cause them to become more fiercely loyal. That’s the polling story of the last six months.

Are Trump supporters right that the indictments are just a political witch hunt? Of course not. As a card-carrying member of my class, I still basically trust the legal system and the neutral arbiters of justice. Trump is a monster in the way we’ve all been saying for years and deserves to go to prison.

But there’s a larger context here. As the sociologist E. Digby Baltzell wrote decades ago, “History is a graveyard of classes which have preferred caste privileges to leadership.” That is the destiny our class is now flirting with. We can condemn the Trumpian populists until the cows come home, but the real question is: When will we stop behaving in ways that make Trumpism inevitable?"

Anyone cheering on the dubious legal labyrinth being used as a means to an end to Trump/Trumpism should consider Brook's POV.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:53 am

Feels like a good place to revisit Brook's, IMO, astute article from earlier this year re who/what created Trumpism in the first place:

Donald Trump seems to get indicted on a weekly basis. Yet he is utterly dominating his Republican rivals in the polls, and he is tied with Joe Biden in the general election surveys. Trump’s poll numbers are stronger against Biden now than at any time in 2020.

What’s going on here? Why is this guy still politically viable, after all he’s done?

We anti-Trumpers often tell a story to explain that. It was encapsulated in a quote the University of North Carolina political scientist Marc Hetherington gave to my colleague Thomas B. Edsall recently: “Republicans see a world changing around them uncomfortably fast, and they want it to slow down, maybe even take a step backward. But if you are a person of color, a woman who values gender equality or an L.G.B.T. person, would you want to go back to 1963? I doubt it.”

In this story, we anti-Trumpers are the good guys, the forces of progress and enlightenment. The Trumpers are reactionary bigots and authoritarians. Many Republicans support Trump no matter what, according to this story, because at the end of the day, he’s still the bigot in chief, the embodiment of their resentments and that’s what matters to them most.

I partly agree with this story, but it’s also a monument to elite self-satisfaction.

So let me try another story on you. I ask you to try on a vantage point in which we anti-Trumpers are not the eternal good guys. In fact, we’re the bad guys.

This story begins in the 1960s, when high school grads had to go off to fight in Vietnam but the children of the educated class got college deferments. It continues in the 1970s, when the authorities imposed busing on working-class areas in Boston but not on the upscale communities like Wellesley where they themselves lived.

The ideal that we’re all in this together was replaced with the reality that the educated class lives in a world up here and everybody else is forced into a world down there. Members of our class are always publicly speaking out for the marginalized, but somehow we always end up building systems that serve ourselves.

The most important of those systems is the modern meritocracy. We built an entire social order that sorts and excludes people on the basis of the quality that we possess most: academic achievement. Highly educated parents go to elite schools, marry each other, work at high-paying professional jobs and pour enormous resources into our children, who get into the same elite schools, marry each other and pass their exclusive class privileges down from generation to generation.

Daniel Markovits summarized years of research in his book “The Meritocracy Trap”: “Today, middle-class children lose out to the rich children at school, and middle-class adults lose out to elite graduates at work. Meritocracy blocks the middle class from opportunity. Then it blames those who lose a competition for income and status that, even when everyone plays by the rules, only the rich can win.”

The meritocracy isn’t only a system of exclusion; it’s an ethos. During his presidency, Barack Obama used the word “smart” in the context of his policies over 900 times. The implication was that anybody who disagreed with his policies (and perhaps didn’t go to Harvard Law) must be stupid.

Over the last decades, we’ve taken over whole professions and locked everybody else out. When I began my journalism career in Chicago in the 1980s, there were still some old crusty working-class guys around the newsroom. Now we’re not only a college-dominated profession; we’re an elite-college-dominated profession. Only 0.8 percent of college students graduate from the super-elite 12 schools (the Ivy League colleges, plus Stanford, M.I.T., Duke and the University of Chicago). A 2018 study found that more than 50 percent of the staff writers at the beloved New York Times and The Wall Street Journal attended one of the 29 most elite universities in the nation.

Writing in Compact magazine, Michael Lind observes that the upper-middle-class job market looks like a candelabrum: “Those who manage to squeeze through the stem of a few prestigious colleges and universities in their youth can then branch out to fill leadership positions in almost every vocation.”

Or, as Markovits puts it, “elite graduates monopolize the best jobs and at the same time invent new technologies that privilege superskilled workers, making the best jobs better and all other jobs worse.”

Members of our class also segregate ourselves into a few booming metro areas: San Francisco, D.C., Austin and so on. In 2020, Biden won only 500 or so counties, but together they are responsible for 71 percent of the American economy. Trump won over 2,500 counties, responsible for only 29 percent. Once we find our cliques, we don’t get out much. In the book “Social Class in the 21st Century,” the sociologist Mike Savage and his co-researchers found that the members of the highly educated class tend to be the most insular, measured by how often we have contact with those who have jobs unlike our own.

Armed with all kinds of economic, cultural and political power, we support policies that help ourselves. Free trade makes the products we buy cheaper, and our jobs are unlikely to be moved to China. Open immigration makes our service staff cheaper, but new, less-educated immigrants aren’t likely to put downward pressure on our wages.

Like all elites, we use language and mores as tools to recognize one another and exclude others. Using words like “problematic,” “cisgender,” “Latinx” and “intersectional” is a sure sign that you’ve got cultural capital coming out of your ears. Meanwhile, members of the less-educated classes have to walk on eggshells because they never know when we’ve changed the usage rules so that something that was sayable five years ago now gets you fired.

We also change the moral norms in ways that suit ourselves, never mind the cost to others. For example, there used to be a norm that discouraged people from having children outside marriage, but that got washed away during our period of cultural dominance, as we eroded norms that seemed judgmental or that might inhibit individual freedom.

After this social norm was eroded, a funny thing happened. Members of our class still overwhelmingly married and had children within wedlock. People without our resources, unsupported by social norms, were less able to do that. As Adrian Wooldridge points out in his magisterial 2021 book, “The Aristocracy of Talent,” “Sixty percent of births to women with only a high school certificate occur out of wedlock, compared with only 10 percent to women with a university degree.” That matters, he continues, because “the rate of single parenting is the most significant predictor of social immobility in the country.”

Does this mean that I think the people in my class are vicious and evil? No. Most of us are earnest, kind and public-spirited. But we take for granted and benefit from systems that have become oppressive. Elite institutions have become so politically progressive in part because the people in them want to feel good about themselves as they take part in systems that exclude and reject.

It’s easy to understand why people in less-educated classes would conclude that they are under economic, political, cultural and moral assault — and why they’ve rallied around Trump as their best warrior against the educated class. He understood that it’s not the entrepreneurs who seem most threatening to workers; it’s the professional class. Trump understood that there was great demand for a leader who would stick his thumb in our eyes on a daily basis and reject the whole epistemic regime that we rode in on.

If distrustful populism is your basic worldview, the Trump indictments seem like just another skirmish in the class war between the professionals and the workers, another assault by a bunch of coastal lawyers who want to take down the man who most aggressively stands up to them. Of course, the indictments don’t cause Trump supporters to abandon him. They cause them to become more fiercely loyal. That’s the polling story of the last six months.

Are Trump supporters right that the indictments are just a political witch hunt? Of course not. As a card-carrying member of my class, I still basically trust the legal system and the neutral arbiters of justice. Trump is a monster in the way we’ve all been saying for years and deserves to go to prison.

But there’s a larger context here. As the sociologist E. Digby Baltzell wrote decades ago, “History is a graveyard of classes which have preferred caste privileges to leadership.” That is the destiny our class is now flirting with. We can condemn the Trumpian populists until the cows come home, but the real question is: When will we stop behaving in ways that make Trumpism inevitable?"

Anyone cheering on the dubious legal labyrinth being used as a means to an end to Trump/Trumpism should consider Brook's POV.
I chuckled at the BHO analogy. If you publicly declared your policy to be smart then anybody opposing said policy has to be stupid. It's a brilliant tactic when used with lemmings who don't know how to use the brain that God them. :D Great article Tech, agita producing to most folks on this forum 😝
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Sad, but funny to watch Old Soviet double down and keep moving the goal posts!
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:53 am

Time is slipping
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Astonishing logical and ethical gymnastics from those who claim the Colorado ruling is subverting democracy, election interference or subverting the will of the voters by barring a man who tried to violently and criminally overturn a Presidential election and negate the votes of the majority.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Andersen wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:05 am Astonishing logical and ethical gymnastics from those who claim the Colorado ruling is subverting democracy, election interference or subverting the will of the voters by barring a man who tried to violently and criminally overturn a Presidential election and negate the votes of the majority.
So what was trump convicted of? So an accusation is justification for suppression of a million people who would vote for trump in all likelihood. So you are supremely confidant the SCOTUS will agree with you?? :D You Democrats are about to crash and burn on this issue. Cart before the horse you Democrats, cart before the horse. Even most mittens Republicans are ticked off about this, except for one that I'm aware of who predominates his opinion on this forum. :D
FTR all of you geniuses on this forum should openly understand what your accomplishing here. Kinda what Japan did when they attacked Pearl Harbor. You've awakened a sleeping giant that has been for quite awhile oblivious to what has been going on around them. I'm a poker player that as of today would go all in for one particular side
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:15 am
Andersen wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:05 am Astonishing logical and ethical gymnastics from those who claim the Colorado ruling is subverting democracy, election interference or subverting the will of the voters by barring a man who tried to violently and criminally overturn a Presidential election and negate the votes of the majority.
So what was trump convicted of? So an accusation is justification for suppression of a million people who would vote for trump in all likelihood. So you are supremely confidant the SCOTUS will agree with you?? :D You Democrats are about to crash and burn on this issue. Cart before the horse you Democrats, cart before the horse. Even most mittens Republicans are ticked off about this, except for one that I'm aware of who predominates his opinion on this forum. :D
Andersen, I already tried to respond to C&S on these very questions. He likes to repeat himself.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

+1

And I would add those uneducated on this specific case and "blame" D's.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Tech, thanks for posting the Brooks opinion piece. It is very interesting, much one can agree on and a bit that it pretty loose thinking. The strange shot at Obama for calling the policies his administration he rolled out "smart" repackaged as "elitism" seems strained. A President supports his administration's policies and initiatives not by calling them, "something we thought we'd try and see how it worked." They call them smart, what the voters want, etc., ...when in fact most legislation is, in fact, an effort to see if the levers brought into play work in the manner the so-called policymakers want or think.

But the litigation against Trump -- both the criminal indictments and the 14th Amendment, Section 3 litigation -- are results of the tensions in the system that Brooks essentially acknowledges, when he says Trump is a monster who ought to go to jail. The system, at its foundation, requires adherence to the rule of law and the legal norms of the Constitution and laws. Leaving prosecution of the alleged crimes, or the alleged disqualifying conduct ignored, means that the country has to rely solely on the voters to reject a potential criminal who is, according the Constitution, disqualified from holding office. In our system of laws, we are not wrong in pursuing both avenues -- fighting for and against at the ballot box, and fighting for or against a construction of the Constitution and laws that might disqualify someone who plainly tried to holdover in office last time.

It's hard to write this without thinking that the second impeachment proceeding was the opportunity that really passed us by. Romney was right.
Last edited by Seacoaster(1) on Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”