TV Announcers Consternation Station

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: TV Announcers Consternation Station

Post by HopFan16 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:05 pm The announcers today for Hop PSU are unbearable, they talk about everything but the game, I can’t take it. Carc and Quint are off the charts awful.
You mean you don't like hearing debates about jelly beans vs. candy corn???
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

What I want to know is- which leading D1 attackman is most similar to which Avengers character? I didn’t catch the end of the commentary; my 10-year old son said “Dad, this is stupid!” and muted it.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

I agree that Carc, Quint and Anish can be very annoying together. Talking about Avengers was completely stupid, especially since they could have spent their time talking about the subs who were playing and giving them a little TV time recognition.
But here is something that really made me mad. When talking about TJ Malone, and the fact that he almost went D3 and was a late commit to Penn State, they were making it sound or even implying that D3 is terrible and beneath anyone with talent. Instead of taking the opportunity to embrace and discuss the quality of lacrosse, quality of players, and quality of teams throughout the three divisions, they were snubbing their nose at anything beyond blue blood D1. For guys that claim they are trying to build the sport, they sure don't sound like it.
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

Carc and Quint are elitists. The idea that somebody might even remotely consider the overall benefits of going to a school like Amherst as opposed to the big school/big lax experience is foreign to them.

On the other hand, they DID use that story to talk about how awesome it was that the kid was recruited to a major D1 program not as a 10th grader but in the summer before his senior year like most regular D3 players.

And to the guy who wanted the 3rd stringers to get recognition on the broadcast...calm down, Dad.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

From the little bit of the game I caught I will say I was shocked to learn Quint has never seen an episode of Friends. That's quite impressive!
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Just watched the Cuse vs Cornell. Carc bring absolutely nothing to the table....added no value to what was actually happening on the field.

If he played the way he does TV, he would have been a JUCO bench warmer.
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

Wow, Boyle is very good. He makes it fun, isn’t afraid of some silence, and adds a ton of value on his game explanation. He talks in sports terms that translate well to other sports, without making direct comparisons...”he’s like the LeBron James of lacrosse!” and so forth. I think he’s in a sweet spot where he’s calling big games but not doing ESPN-mandated “grow the audience” stuff yet.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Really didn't like how much stick they gave Burkinshaw today even though he didn't play that poorly. After a few of the goals they went on about putting Rode back in and kept breaking down his technique after every goal. I haven't seen them do that for any of the other goalies despite some similar levels of play. I thought it was unfair on Burkinshaw.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Announcers for this weekend have been announced.

Saturday, May 11

Noon
Syracuse at No. 8 Loyola
Anish Shroff, Quint Kessenich

2:30 p.m.
Georgetown at No. 5 Yale
Chris Cotter, Paul Carcaterra/Mike Golic Jr.

5:00 p.m.
Army at No. 4 Penn
Booker Corrigan, Ryan Boyle

7:30 p.m.
Robert Morris at No. 3 Virginia
Mike Corey, Don Zimmerman/Matt Ward

Sunday, May 12

Noon
UMBC/Marist at No. 1 Penn State
John Brickley, Mark Dixon

Maryland at No. 6 Towson

Richmond at No. 2 Duke
Jay Alter, Ryan Flanagan

Johns Hopkins at No. 7 Notre Dame
Chris Cotter, Paul Carcaterra
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
molo

Post by molo »

Guess I won’t get to hear Q and Carc. I didn’t realize Corrigan still called games.
molo

Post by molo »

Should have said Q and Anish.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:41 pm Harvard announcers (both of them) are well informed and excellent overall. I'll take them over the QuAC trio any day.
Agreed. They are good. I was impressed by St John’s announcers... they added color and insight to the opposing program’s direction and player’s background... they do their homework and bring the game to life.
As opposed to the QuAC trio that frequently obsessing over 2 or 3 most notable players
DMac

Post by DMac »

CU77 wrote
QuAC
First I've seen this, could not be done better, brilliantly descriptive.
A++ and two thumbs up for that one. This trio has become beyond
annoying. If I had to put them in order from most to least annoying
I'd go A, C, Q. I wouldn't argue with any other order though.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:28 pm Just watched the recording of JHU and Loyola. Those 3 are absolutely horrible together and need to be separated.

Zero PxP, Carc with the metronome staccato name dropping followed by an adverb like deadly, incessant HS references to brag about a kids accolades then mention Spencer played only played JV.

Please separate them and pair them with a true PxP person.....grow the game, which includes commentators.
They are playing to "their audience". In other context, they are not so juvenile. Awful as a team.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:08 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:28 pm Just watched the recording of JHU and Loyola. Those 3 are absolutely horrible together and need to be separated.

Zero PxP, Carc with the metronome staccato name dropping followed by an adverb like deadly, incessant HS references to brag about a kids accolades then mention Spencer played only played JV.

Please separate them and pair them with a true PxP person.....grow the game, which includes commentators.
They are playing to "their audience". In other context, they are not so juvenile. Awful as a team.
Who did the UMBC/Marist game last night? They were good. Especially liked it when one of the announcers started telling a story, but said he'd get back to it after that action stopped. Very refreshing.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Will they talk about Rutgers this weekend ? Nice team, but It gets old w the hype.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:25 pm Announcers for this weekend have been announced.

Saturday, May 11

Noon
Syracuse at No. 8 Loyola

Georgetown at No. 5 Yale
Chris Cotter, Paul Carcaterra/Mike Golic Jr.

Army at No. 4 Penn
Booker Corrigan :shock: , Ryan Boyle

Robert Morris at No. 3 Virginia
Mike Corey, Don Zimmerman/Matt Ward

Sunday, May 12

Noon
UMBC/Marist at No. 1 Penn State
John Brickley, Mark Dixon

Maryland at No. 6 Towson

Richmond at No. 2 Duke
Jay Alter, Ryan Flanagan

Johns Hopkins at No. 7 Notre Dame
Chris Cotter, Paul Carcaterra
Thanks for the BOOKER warning.Much appreciated.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

LordRaider wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:40 am Wow, Boyle is very good. He makes it fun, isn’t afraid of some silence, and adds a ton of value on his game explanation. He talks in sports terms that translate well to other sports, without making direct comparisons...”he’s like the LeBron James of lacrosse!” and so forth. I think he’s in a sweet spot where he’s calling big games but not doing ESPN-mandated “grow the audience” stuff yet.
YA MON!Hope he's RESCUED before 5 PM this Saturday.Send in DEVGRU or the Okefenokee Chowder and Marching Society.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

The pair of Mark Dixon and Joe Benatti (not sure of spelling) are in my opinion the best. They were awesome for the Hopkins Penn State, actually called the game, knew who all the players were, let the action speak for itself. No silly banter about haircuts and capri pants or 1991 Heros summer league teams. Outstanding!
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

DMac wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:08 pm
CU77 wrote
QuAC
First I've seen this, could not be done better, brilliantly descriptive.
A++ and two thumbs up for that one. This trio has become beyond
annoying. If I had to put them in order from most to least annoying
I'd go A, C, Q. I wouldn't argue with any other order though.
Agreed “beyond annoying”
... Lax is great, we get it, why does the trio feel the need to constantly “Try Hard”??
And, please please please can they stop w the “Alpha Male” reference??
Cringe worthy :shock:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”