IL's Top 50 Men's College Lacrosse Players For 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: IL's Top 50 Men's College Lacrosse Players For 2024

Post by 1766 »

Right. Spallina has had one year. I think he will have a great career but he hasn't yet.

Scott has. 75 points on a final four team is monster year. He tied the all time goals record in a single NCAA tourney game. He tied the season goal tally at Rutgers in a program over 100 years old. Can Spallina match that? Maybe. Has he? No. Until then you simply couldn't put him ahead.

He was also named the top attackman at the under 21 world games and named to the world team.

Ross Scott isn't the guy you move off that list. If anything, he's the guy you move up the list.

Post by 1766 »

D/S
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Nothing against Scott, again, but it's kind of funny if you want to even put it historically. Spallina had the highest scoring freshman season in D1 last year, and the third highest scoring freshman year in Syracuse history.

While Rutgers has had multiple excellent players come through their doors, I think we can agree it hasn't had the history of Syracuse. And that's okay, not many programs do. But third highest scoring in their history? I mean...Syracuse has had the three Powells, the two Gaits, Marechek, Zulberti etc. I mean they have had 12 players named 4 times all americans. Twelve. That's insane (Rutgers has 1, if you were wondering).

And for Spallina's freshman season to hold up to those guys? Yeah.

I mean I'm not a Syracuse or Spallina fan by any stretch but come on.

Post by 1766 »

PulpExposure wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:11 pm Nothing against Scott, again, but it's kind of funny if you want to even put it historically. Spallina had the highest scoring freshman season in D1 last year, and the third highest scoring freshman year in Syracuse history.

While Rutgers has had multiple excellent players come through their doors, I think we can agree it hasn't had the history of Syracuse. And that's okay, not many programs do. But third highest scoring in their history? I mean...Syracuse has had the three Powells, the two Gaits, Marechek, Zulberti etc. I mean they have had 12 players named 4 times all americans. Twelve. That's insane (Rutgers has 1, if you were wondering).

That's great. Huge accomplishment. But his team didn't make the tournament. Scott led his team to the Final Four. I agree, Spallina is a great player. But he hasn't accomplished what Scott has done already. When he does, move him up the list. No problem with that.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

1766 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:19 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:11 pm Nothing against Scott, again, but it's kind of funny if you want to even put it historically. Spallina had the highest scoring freshman season in D1 last year, and the third highest scoring freshman year in Syracuse history.

That's great. Huge accomplishment. But his team didn't make the tournament. Scott led his team to the Final Four. I agree, Spallina is a great player. But he hasn't accomplished what Scott has done already. When he does, move him up the list. No problem with that.
This isn’t a career recognition list; it's a forecast for the best 2024 season. Comparing Spallina and Scott's 2023 performances, Spallina, with 68 points on a team who is poised for a big year, seems poised for a better year than Scott, who scored 42 points on a team likely to finish similarly to last year. Even against common opponents (MD, Princeton, Hopkins), Spallina outperformed Scott, averaging 5 PPG compared to Scott's 2.75 PPG.

Looking at Scott's best season against Spallina's freshman year reveals only a 7-point difference in Scott's favor, despite him having four additional games. The mention of Scott “leading” his team to the final 4 in the 2022 season should acknowledge the support of six additional All-Americans on his team. While he contributed to reaching the final 4, the loaded Rutgers team was destined for success that year with all that talent they had.

Post by 1766 »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:36 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:19 pm

This isn’t a career recognition list; it's a forecast for the best 2024 season. Comparing Spallina and Scott's 2023 performances, Spallina, with 68 points on a team who is poised for a big year, seems poised for a better year than Scott, who scored 42 points on a team likely to finish similarly to last year. Even against common opponents (MD, Princeton, Hopkins), Spallina outperformed Scott, averaging 5 PPG compared to Scott's 2.75 PPG.

Looking at Scott's best season against Spallina's freshman year reveals only a 7-point difference in Scott's favor, despite him having four additional games. The mention of Scott “leading” his team to the final 4 in the 2022 season should acknowledge the support of six additional All-Americans on his team. While he contributed to reaching the final 4, the loaded Rutgers team was destined for success that year with all that talent they had.
To make a forecast you need to consider the past, assuming there is one. Which was the point all along.

I think you will be surprised at where they are "likely to finish" and do. Time will tell who has the better season.
Last edited by 1766 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1766 »

D/S
Last edited by 1766 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1766 »

D/S
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Man I knew this was coming as soon as Scott was mentioned. Good luck unwinding that now that the dog smelled a car.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Post by 1766 »

And we all knew this was coming after. D3 post.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

1766 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:00 pm Right. Spallina has had one year. I think he will have a great career but he hasn't yet.

Scott has. 75 points on a final four team is monster year. He tied the all time goals record in a single NCAA tourney game. He tied the season goal tally at Rutgers in a program over 100 years old. Can Spallina match that? Maybe. Has he? No. Until then you simply couldn't put him ahead.

He was also named the top attackman at the under 21 world games and named to the world team.

Ross Scott isn't the guy you move off that list. If anything, he's the guy you move up the list.
I don't have a dog in this hunt but I have to look out for my Brown guys. Scott actually has the second most single game tournament goals at 8. The record is held by Oliver Marti of Brown who scored 9 vs Loyola in the early 90s. I think that record was tied recently but I can't remember by whom.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

1766 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:36 pm And we all knew this was coming after. D3 post.
And the rebuttal from a juco failure/
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Post by 1766 »

DALaxDad wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:05 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:00 pm Right. Spallina has had one year. I think he will have a great career but he hasn't yet.

I don't have a dog in this hunt but I have to look out for my Brown guys. Scott actually has the second most single game tournament goals at 8. The record is held by Oliver Marti of Brown who scored 9 vs Loyola in the early 90s. I think that record was tied recently but I can't remember by whom.
Should have known not to listen to Quint.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I think that record was tied recently but I can't remember by whom.
The UNC guy during that great tournament run, in the semis, Cloutier.
Mike French famously had 7 goals in the finals way back when.

Post by 1766 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:47 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:36 pm And we all knew this was coming after. D3 post.
And the rebuttal from a juco failure/
More D3. Just didn't have the makings of a varsity athlete.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... st-e2d090l

Carc & Q. dissect the IL Top 50 on this podcast.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Great breakdown of the top 50 players and those that were snubbed. They have a better feel and insight.
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

Braden Erksa
Eric Malever
Daniel Kelly
Eric Spanos

Not one makes the Top 50?

We shall see
2-1 against the final four in 2023
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

terp talk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:30 pm Braden Erksa
Eric Malever
Daniel Kelly
Eric Spanos

We shall see
The only one on this list who has an argument is Erksa. Kelly and Spanos aren't close. Malever maybe if he was healthy but he's coming off a catastrophic leg injury so it's probably best to take a wait and see approach. For the same reason I thought they should have left off PSU's Posey, but at least he played last year.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:25 pm
terp talk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:30 pm Braden Erksa
Eric Malever
Daniel Kelly
Eric Spanos

We shall see
The only one on this list who has an argument is Erksa. Kelly and Spanos aren't close. Malever maybe if he was healthy but he's coming off a catastrophic leg injury so it's probably best to take a wait and see approach. For the same reason I thought they should have left off PSU's Posey, but at least he played last year.
Great thing is, 45 days from now none of this silliness matters. But after 6.5 months of nothing, this is as good as it gets. So, Erksa would be the one in the top 50. Plunkett made it, deservingly so, and Erksa had slightly better stats against better competition. Several Hopkins guys made it who are probably no better than now-sophomore Erksa should be, but that's another random comparison in a list of randomness.

If Spanos takes the next step, he could be there. He could easily dominate with his size, strength and skills, or not. Showed some greatness at the end of last season, but doesn't deserve top 50 recognition yet. Kelly is good, nowhere near deserving top 50 consideration. He looks to be in great shape and could take a big step up, but there's a lot of steps to all-american level. Malever was a starter on a historically great offense, and a key contributor as a freshman on a national finalist team. If he's 100%, he's a top 50 player.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”