Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:25 am No. Ms Stanafik gets her panties all twisted up in a knot (a LLism) because these ladies rightfully want to qualify their answer(s), this is deeper than a simple yes or no answer. JMHO
It was a lead in question to lay a trap. Much like the question posed to Judge Brown about what’s a “woman”. Politicians putting on a dog and pony show.

https://catalog.upenn.edu/pennbook/code ... t-conduct/

https://catalog.upenn.edu/pennbook/open-expression/
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree, that was my thought when I watched it. These women weren't stupid enough to take the bait. hence the hissy fit from Stanafik.

This is another example of a soundbite, cradle, I'd have to see the entire session (which I'm not going to do) to know what led up to this line of questioning. I'm sure there's more to it than what the originator of this clip wants you to know. I don't believe for one second that any one of these three ladies are okay with the genocide of any race/religion. I'm not so sure they wouldn't answer the same if black or woman were substituted for Jew either.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:16 pm Agree, that was my thought when I watched it. These women weren't stupid enough to take the bait. hence the hissy fit from Stanafik.

This is another example of a soundbite, cradle, I'd have to see the entire session (which I'm not going to do) to know what led up to this line of questioning. I'm sure there's more to it than what the originator of this clip wants you to know. I don't believe for one second that any one of these three ladies are okay with the genocide of any race/religion. I'm not so sure they wouldn't answer the same if black or woman were substituted for Jew either.
I watched quite a bit.

I thought they did a terrible job of managing the moment, but I agree that the issue is much more nuanced and there's no way they are countenancing genocide. They've subsequently issued statements making that super clear...but in the moment, I'd have told Stefanik to step off...that their institutions respect due process and privacy but that actions are definitely being taken to hold people accountable for violations of their Code of Conduct, which calling for genocide definitely would be. And for other acts of more direct intimidation and bullying.

The nuance they're grappling with is in understanding that protestors shouting Intifada Revolution may not intend those words to be calling for genocide of Jews, but rather for Palestinians' right to resist a brutal oppressor (point of view difference). So, the line has been getting drawn to personally directed bullying and intimidation, not the generalized chanting.

I think that's a mistake that they're going to regret, and it appears that they're in the midst of coming to terms with it, but the showboating was pretty awful.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

By nuanced the reality is deer in the headlights and clueless how to answer a simple question. So an updated definition of the term nuanced includes clueless. :D Not good optics for folks in the leadership positions of 3 of the most prestigious ( cough cough) universities in the country. Their defense is they don't know if these students understand what their protesting about. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sure they don't, the best and brightest minds in the country attending the finest schools can't grasp what it is they are protesting. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Oh well. Are you a constituent?
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

He needed the money back. Took the opportunity. Gifts with conditions are BS.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:39 pm
All large gifts have conditions. And the schools make them with eyes wide open.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:55 pm
Uh huh. Ross needed the money. That is the only condition that matters here. This was a convenient way to weasel-dcik.

Man in need will do a lot for $100M.

"Stone Ridge Asset Management operates three insurance and reinsurance linked investment funds, investing its assets in instruments ranging from catastrophe bonds, to sidecars and quota shares."

Re-insurance is a dicey business these days. Going to get caught between a rock and a hard place as catastrophes, both in the physical as well as human systems -- health insurance, continue to occur at unforeseen rates that are wrecking actuarial forecasts. Either insurance regulators will cap underlying premia, or people and institutions will be priced out of the market. Oh, and that last one is not an XOR...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sure but they are still BS. Like not even a gift in reality it it comes restricted or conditional. But the colleges are equally culpable for accepting them as then alums (who were molded into the men and women that would give conditional gifts by these same institutions that are so compromised as to eagerly accept the conditional gifts.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:17 am
Uh huh. Ross needed the money. That is the only condition that matters here. This was a convenient way to weasel-dcik.

"Stone Ridge Asset Management operates three insurance and reinsurance linked investment funds, investing its assets in instruments ranging from catastrophe bonds, to sidecars and quota shares."

Re-insurance is a dicey business these days. Going to get caught between a rock and a hard place as catastrophes, both in the physical as well as human systems -- health insurance, continue to occur at unforeseen rates that are wrecking actuarial forecasts. Either insurance regulators will cap underlying premia, or people and institutions will be priced out of the market. Oh, and that last one is not an XOR...
I’ve seen that name but not personally familiar with situation. What you say may be correct as reinsurers have coming liabilities on the wide end of the range/spectrum forecasted. However this like many is a play to get that long dated “permanent capital” to invest. Apollo’s acquired Athene, Guggenheim got control of a self created charity fund, Eldridge Industries acquired sleep Security Benedit in Topeka (KS somewhere may be KC-just had Bfast w CFO of a subsidiary that invests in CLOs). So if they can “outrun” the high end liabilities by investing the premium capital well it isn’t an issue. If they have a bad year investing at the same time that claims and claim values spoke is when they can get whacked.

So it’s very possible this is the case but I wouldn’t look at his entity as an insurer by definition so much as an insurance vehicle to have longer duration capitala to deploy. Allows for less need to spot Mark to Marker the investments and play games with illiquid asset values like the entire premise behind private credit.

We were supposed to clean this up after Drexel owned half the insurers, not literally but he had created and controlled the high yield market, once the insurers bought the debt if they wanted to sell they sold through him to another insurer and Milken set the bid/ask. The irony of this all today is that Apollo may be the most open and prominent player doing this of them all. Apollo was founded by Leon Black of Epstein and Drexel Burnham fame. In the early 2000a the Dept of state nearly threw a large govt controlled French bank, Creidt Lyonnais, out of the country because they lied about owning a defunct insurer in California called Executive Life which Leon Black brought to Lyonnais and owned a piece of the deal post close. Story here - https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/a ... is-scandal

I’m tired of endowment and long term employment of agents of stakeholders taking priority over today’s duties at so many institutions.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Not only do you sound envious of Ross, you sound like a Karen. Ross, is not the only one... The article further clarifies this is not the fist time he did this and re-directed the same amount to UC.

Since I do not subscribe to the NYT a copied the heading from the NYT cite embedded the article I originally linked. Further info on other upset donors here --> https://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blo ... rsity.html

Seems the President of UPenn picks and chooses who who she advocates for on her social media, yet ignored the same for the Jews:

Some alumni want the president to resign. They are angry about a Palestinian conference and Penn’s response to the Hamas attacks — as well as D.E.I. and transgender rights.

In the two days after Hamas killed hundreds of men, women and children in a surprise attack on Israel, the University of Pennsylvania had not reached out to its students or alumni with an official statement.

But it did post a message on Instagram, honoring Native and Indigenous people and “their culture, history, and importance as members of the Penn community.”

That post set off one of the university’s largest donors, Marc Rowan, the chief of the private equity giant Apollo Global Management.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BTW I hate the cat bond trade. Like picking up nickels in front of a steamroller. Marginal incremental spread (yield in excess of index or benchmark risk free rate of return is spread, just in case) to who knows potential fat tail risk (losses are thought of as Probability of event/default multiplied by the loss from the event or loss severity as a percentage of 100). The asset class exists because it’s “uncorrelated” which is a myth in down times. (Asymmetric risk return profile too extreme for me). I work with a fund that invests in “longevity markets” (not exclusively hit including Viatical and life settlements contracts - buying life insurance from people that need cash though I think a lot are funding weak business director and officer life policies off businesses than aids patients or whatnot) as well as SME trade credit as a barbell of tenor risk. If someone pitches you in correlated investment opportunities tell them to f**k their mother the way a nasty prisoner would to his worst enemy.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:45 am

Not only do you sound envious of Ross, you sound like a Karen. Ross, is not the only one... The article further clarifies this is not the fist time he did this and re-directed the same amount to UC.

Since I do not subscribe to the NYT a copied the heading from the NYT cite embedded the article I originally linked. Further info on other upset donors here --> https://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blo ... rsity.html

Seems the President of UPenn picks and chooses who who she advocates for on her social media, yet ignored the same for the Jews:

Some alumni want the president to resign. They are angry about a Palestinian conference and Penn’s response to the Hamas attacks — as well as D.E.I. and transgender rights.

In the two days after Hamas killed hundreds of men, women and children in a surprise attack on Israel, the University of Pennsylvania had not reached out to its students or alumni with an official statement.

But it did post a message on Instagram, honoring Native and Indigenous people and “their culture, history, and importance as members of the Penn community.”

That post set off one of the university’s largest donors, Marc Rowan, the chief of the private equity giant Apollo Global Management.
Rowan was loud day one. Didnt wait a second to put his position on wax publicly.

Apollo also owns an insurer but I don’t think despite their issues they are hurting.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

There is not a lot of support from the trustees of these 3 universities. They want to see the president of Penn University with her head on a platter. The other 2 spent yesterday trying to " clarify" their statements. Their testimony was hilarious if not also an embarrassment. They just could not force the proper answer to come out of their mouths. There isn't enough " nuance" in the world to cover up their poor judgement. Hell, I know it's a big deal when Lester Holt covered it on last nights World News Tonight. That is a rare occurrence on that network.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:52 am There is not a lot of support from the trustees of these 3 universities. They want to see the president of Penn University with her head on a platter. The other 2 spent yesterday trying to " clarify" their statements. Their testimony was hilarious if not also an embarrassment. They just could not force the proper answer to come out of their mouths. There isn't enough " nuance" in the world to cover up their poor judgement. Hell, I know it's a big deal when Lester Holt covered it on last nights World News Tonight. That is a rare occurrence on that network.
I want to see you in public in front of agitators with staff looking to embarrass you.

It would be like the ending of the first episode of Black Mirror where everyone is fired up watching the politician smash the pig and then got bummed out for humanity and turn it off.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:21 am
Sure but they are still BS. Like not even a gift in reality it it comes restricted or conditional. But the colleges are equally culpable for accepting them as then alums (who were molded into the men and women that would give conditional gifts by these same institutions that are so compromised as to eagerly accept the conditional gifts.
But its a reality. I cannot think of any that are made with no strings attached. Even if it's ultimately - "better be nice to me and my family, because I have money."

Heard of another just recently. A $10M gift was given to renovate fields, build an indoor athletic bubble etc. But the expectation was for the school to purchase the donor's proprietary software (that the school doesn't really need) in return ...

The president who agreed to it is now learning that he was so excited to land the intial donation that he didn't read the fine print. And the school community is figuring out that he's a moron. So how does the school afford a useless enterprise software solution AND finish the capital project? "Thanks for your donation." :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:32 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:21 am
But its a reality. I cannot think of any that are made with no strings attached. Even if it's ultimately - "better be nice to me and my family, because I have money."

Heard of another just recently. A $10M gift was given to renovate fields, build an indoor athletic bubble etc. But the expectation was for the school to purchase the donor's proprietary software (that the school doesn't really need) in return ...

The president who agreed to it is now learning that he was so excited to land the intial donation that he didn't read the fine print. And the school community is figuring out that he's a moron. So how does the school afford a useless enterprise software solution AND finish the capital project? "Thanks for your donation." :roll:
Well if we’re using self gratification as a exchange of value then all concepts of philanthropy, magnanimity and even religion believing in a higher future benefit for doing something today falls into that category and you are subject to the Just Judges.

I don’t care if the President is out, and she’s already dead she just doesn’t have her separation agreement buttoned up yet and all this is just piling on and noise for other agendas around higher ed if we’re speaking plainly and talking reality.

I’m quite familiar, not just my FIL who gives with no strings and makes the top 100 Athletics donor ranking for Ga Tech compared with a former colleague who stopped giving to Penn also having a named scholarship from prior Giving when his acceptable by every metric and admissions criterion didnt get accepted a few years back (told this story kid is at Wash U in St Louis in full academic ride so buddy is saving $300k plus donations to penn thanks to their rejection of his boy who is a good kid but wildly coddled). Know some of the folks in the news lately as big givers as well personally. But to say no donations are made without statins means you don’t believe in even the Bible’s teachings which I know isn’t the case. And certainly don’t need ducking passage quotes from the Bible like it’s drunk post college idiots at a piano bar slapping money down for Country Road or their Alma mater right song. (You can do that down in the inner harbor power plant at Howl at the Moon if you want)

The wrist is when they direct endowment investment management to their firm. That’s awful. A good investment by the donor but awful.

No defending the vast weak higher ed admin but your lying all the “guilt” and “fault” at the hands of the receiver, a non profit who’s been conditioned to be life they can’t exist if they had to run a neutral to profitable budget every year. They just don’t function that way and have no earthly idea how to and that’s why St Rose and another college just failed and more are coming where the kids aren’t located.

Just like banks were there’s over 4,000 in the country and naturally there aren’t that many “A students” to run them all theres thousands of 4yr colleges. They can’t all have great Mgt and leadership and there’s little correlation between USNWR and admin quality that I can observe.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Jon Huntsman Jr that world renowned uber rich moderate Republican says the leader of Penn University should resign. Film at eleven... Clearly there are a few moderate Republicans out there that "get it"
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Found this on X: https://x.com/TheKingCenter/status/1732 ... 59785?s=20

NBC: Wonder why she was trying to burn down MLK's home? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wo ... rcna128730

Thanks God, these people were onsite: Caution, its from Collin Rugg, and I know that can trigger some of you. ;) https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1733162 ... 82959?s=20

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1733162 ... 82959?s=20
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”