Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ezra White

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by Ezra White »

Ivyman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:50 am
I sent this clip to my son, a former Yale SSDM and asked if he could tell what happened on the Cornell goal at about 1:18. His analysis:

"Great offense followed by great defense followed by great luckfense... 
For which ...
there is no defense." :lol:
I dunno. Looks like #30 knew he was about to be clobbered and got the shot off, trying a rainbow over the GK's head. Lucky? Yes, but sometimes we make our own luck.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not so sure he was trying a rainbow shot there, looks to me as if the D man gets his stick on the shooters arm, lifting it, which doesn't allow the shooter to get anything at all on the ball. All shots that get in the goal count the same but I'd say Lady Luck gets a big assist on that one.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

On February 3, 2024 in Buffalo, NY, Charles Maxwell "Butch" Stainton, Class of 1925, will be inducted into the US Lacrosse Western New York Region Hall of Fame, making him eligible for National Lacrosse Hall of Fame induction. Butch attended Lafayette High School in Buffalo, Class of 1921. He then attended Cornell University, graduating in 1925. He was a 3 year starter as lacrosse goalie, receiving 1st Team All America recognition in 1924 and 3rd Team All America recognition in 1925. He was the first Cornell lacrosse player in history to receive 1st team All America status and the only 1st Team All America lacrosse goalie in Cornell history who is not an inductee in Cornell's Athletic Hall of Fame. Hopefully, that slight will be soon rectified. Additionally, he was a 3 year starter as Cornell's hockey goalie and was unanimous team captain his senior year. The hockey team played its games on frozen Beebe Lake! Butch lived into his 90s, passing away in the 1990s. Congrats, Butch!
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

laxfan1313 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:07 pm On February 3, 2024 in Buffalo, NY, Charles Maxwell "Butch" Stainton, Class of 1925, will be inducted into the US Lacrosse Western New York Region Hall of Fame, making him eligible for National Lacrosse Hall of Fame induction. Butch attended Lafayette High School in Buffalo, Class of 1921. He then attended Cornell University, graduating in 1925. He was a 3 year starter as lacrosse goalie, receiving 1st Team All America recognition in 1924 and 3rd Team All America recognition in 1925. He was the first Cornell lacrosse player in history to receive 1st team All America status and the only 1st Team All America lacrosse goalie in Cornell history who is not an inductee in Cornell's Athletic Hall of Fame. Hopefully, that slight will be soon rectified. Additionally, he was a 3 year starter as Cornell's hockey goalie and was unanimous team captain his senior year. The hockey team played its games on frozen Beebe Lake! Butch lived into his 90s, passing away in the 1990s. Congrats, Butch!
An athlete needs to be nominated by someone before s/he can be considered for admission to the Cornell Hall of Fame. It sounds like you might be a great nominator!
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

enterprise wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:52 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:07 pm On February 3, 2024 in Buffalo, NY, Charles Maxwell "Butch" Stainton, Class of 1925, will be inducted into the US Lacrosse Western New York Region Hall of Fame, making him eligible for National Lacrosse Hall of Fame induction. Butch attended Lafayette High School in Buffalo, Class of 1921. He then attended Cornell University, graduating in 1925. He was a 3 year starter as lacrosse goalie, receiving 1st Team All America recognition in 1924 and 3rd Team All America recognition in 1925. He was the first Cornell lacrosse player in history to receive 1st team All America status and the only 1st Team All America lacrosse goalie in Cornell history who is not an inductee in Cornell's Athletic Hall of Fame. Hopefully, that slight will be soon rectified. Additionally, he was a 3 year starter as Cornell's hockey goalie and was unanimous team captain his senior year. The hockey team played its games on frozen Beebe Lake! Butch lived into his 90s, passing away in the 1990s. Congrats, Butch!
An athlete needs to be nominated by someone before s/he can be considered for admission to the Cornell Hall of Fame. It sounds like you might be a great nominator!
Butch was nominated 5 years ago but the selection committee didn't approve him for induction, even though his credentials are as good as or better than other Hall of Fame inductees from the same era. Perhaps this new honor will put him over the top. Here's an article reporting on his impending induction as well as the impending induction of Rob Pannell into the Long Island Metro Hall of Fame. https://cornellbigred.com/news/2023/11/ ... fames.aspx
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:08 am
Butch was nominated 5 years ago but the selection committee didn't approve him for induction, even though his credentials are as good as or better than other Hall of Fame inductees from the same era. Perhaps this new honor will put him over the top. Here's an article reporting on his impending induction as well as the impending induction of Rob Pannell into the Long Island Metro Hall of Fame. https://cornellbigred.com/news/2023/11/ ... fames.aspx
Any idea why the Cornell committee wouldn't have recommended/approved induction 5 years ago?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:23 am
Any idea why the Cornell committee wouldn't have recommended/approved induction 5 years ago?
Unenlightened. Unfair. He was the best in his era and deserves induction.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:16 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:23 am
Unenlightened. Unfair. He was the best in his era and deserves induction.
If he has been nominated, I agree that he should be inducted given his achievements.

When I served on the committee, we were urged to keep the class small. In the early days of the Hall of Fame, lots of athletes were inducted to be sure to recognize the greatest of Cornell's early athletes, but I was on the committee 10+ years after the HoF was established and 10-12 members of an induction class was considered a lot.

The fact that Butch hasn't been nominated might have to do with the quality of the other candidates in the pool because there have been a lot of great athletes at Cornell in recent years and as classes become eligible, it can be possible to fill a Hall of Fame class with a dozen people who graduated 10-12 years earlier. If you have a championship caliber hockey and lacrosse team, each with several All-Americans plus polo players who won 4 national championships plus rowers who won IRA [a whole boat?] plus track athletes who won or place well nationally more than once, you can literally have 20 young graduates become eligible each year who also deserve to be there. From my years on the committee, I remember the efforts to balance the desire to recognize Cornellians from the past with the desire to acknowledge the outstanding contributions of the recently eligible candidates. Add to that the tension between recognizing athletes and coaches and others in the "special category' [read "mostly, but not always, big donors"], and it is not an easy process.

Lastly, I suspect recent induction efforts were further complicated by COVID because an induction year was skipped.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks, Enterprise, for sharing your experiences. The other reality is that people simply forget who has done what over the passage of time. Coach Moran explained the process to me once when I asked him about logical inductees who had not been included. Without elaborating, it sounded as if the process has inconsistent standards from many perspectives.

Hats off to volunteers such as yourself who try to balance the many factors that the committee must take into account.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

faircornell wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:41 pm Thanks, Enterprise, for sharing your experiences. The other reality is that people simply forget who has done what over the passage of time. Coach Moran explained the process to me once when I asked him about logical inductees who had not been included. Without elaborating, it sounded as if the process has inconsistent standards from many perspectives.

Hats off to volunteers such as yourself who try to balance the many factors that the committee must take into account.
Coach Moran was a strong proponent of Butch's induction but the committee wasn't swayed. Perhaps this additional credential will do the trick.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:47 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:41 pm Thanks, Enterprise, for sharing your experiences. The other reality is that people simply forget who has done what over the passage of time. Coach Moran explained the process to me once when I asked him about logical inductees who had not been included. Without elaborating, it sounded as if the process has inconsistent standards from many perspectives.

Coach Moran was a strong proponent of Butch's induction but the committee wasn't swayed. Perhaps this additional credential will do the trick.
This is a great example of how memory and a sense of history are important. I was always impressed with Coach Moran's ability to look to the past for unheralded participants who made significant contributions to Cornell.

Personally, I think that a case could be made for another large class of inductees (similar to the inaugural class) to include omissions for whom a reasonable case can be made.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone got strong educated opinions on Goldstein’s future, short run as a FR and longer run?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Goldstein progressed rapidly in the PIAA,
Delaware County 2022 Co-Player of the Year (this award includes IACs such as Haverford),
2 straight PIAA top level public titles for Radnor and Goldstein,
At Salisbury, I only picked up occasional info, one on line game, he had 2g against Deerfield, 2g against Choate, 6g Hotchkiss, 3g Millbrook, 2g Brunswick - so, again good progression for Goldstein against the PG schools —
and if IL is to be believed, Goldstein progressed from non-top 50 four star to Top 50 4-star.
another fan

Post by another fan »

For whatever it is worth, IL has Cornell's freshmen as the #3 class behind Princeton and Duke.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I have a bit of a Big Red lacrosse trivia question. All currently active Cornell Men's Lacrosse Head Coaches were featured on IL as hosting "Turkey Trot" runs. I don't recall if this started at Cornell with Coach Tambroni or Coach Moran. Any thoughts regarding the origins of this would be interesting.
5050roll

Post by 5050roll »

another fan wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:08 am For whatever it is worth, IL has Cornell's freshmen as the #3 class behind Princeton and Duke.
Last edited by 5050roll on Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

faircornell wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:23 pm I have a bit of a Big Red lacrosse trivia question. All currently active Cornell Men's Lacrosse Head Coaches were featured on IL as hosting "Turkey Trot" runs. I don't recall if this started at Cornell with Coach Tambroni or Coach Moran. Any thoughts regarding the origins of this would be interesting.
I don't remember the Turkey Trot from my undergrad days [Richie's tenure] but I could be wrong. It may have been something Petro initiated, if it didn't begin with Tambroni. The turkey trot/turkey bowl football game is the wrap-up to the fall practice season, which was not as intense during Richie's tenure as it is today, which is another reason why I think it started after he retired from coaching.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

enterprise wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:11 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:23 pm I have a bit of a Big Red lacrosse trivia question. All currently active Cornell Men's Lacrosse Head Coaches were featured on IL as hosting "Turkey Trot" runs. I don't recall if this started at Cornell with Coach Tambroni or Coach Moran. Any thoughts regarding the origins of this would be interesting.
I don't remember the Turkey Trot from my undergrad days [Richie's tenure] but I could be wrong. It may have been something Petro initiated, if it didn't begin with Tambroni. The turkey trot/turkey bowl football game is the wrap-up to the fall practice season, which was not as intense during Richie's tenure as it is today, which is another reason why I think it started after he retired from coaching.
I was thinking that it might have been Petro. If it was Richie, it would have been a late '80s, early '90s addition of his. Under Coach Moran (at least in the '70a), fall ball ended around homecoming and an exhibition game.
brodad

Post by brodad »

I believe it started with the Phi Psi 500
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

brodad wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:15 pm I believe it started with the Phi Psi 500
Phi Psi 500 dates back to the 70's I believe. It started as a bike race at Indiana [movie "Breaking Away"] and the "race" from bar to bar in Collegetown died out after the drinking age went to 21 in the 80's. I would be surprised if there was any connection, especially because the Phi Psi 500 was not something a lax coach would embrace.

Unless you are being sarcastic and I am being dense.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”