Rutgers 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
livelovelax

Re: Rutgers 2024

Post by livelovelax »

Rumson is Central Jersey or if you live in Burlington County or south of that, it is North Jersey.
fogo

Post by fogo »

I was speaking with a friend who saw that scrimmage up at Union and said that while the offense looked good and Kelly will absolutely help the defense and goalies have a long way to go. As you might imagine as they lost their goalie and their top 4 poles including their top LSM. Long way to go but, this could be exciting as they game are going to be wild

Post by 1766 »

fogo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:16 pm I was speaking with a friend who saw that scrimmage up at Union and said that while the offense looked good and Kelly will absolutely help the defense and goalies have a long way to go. As you might imagine as they lost their goalie and their top 4 poles including their top LSM. Long way to go but, this could be exciting as they game are going to be wild
They didn't lose their top LSM. All 3 return. Tommy Mendyke was/is the starter and he's returning, along with Splaine and Jones.

Looks like an outside scrimmage has been added. Brown on 10/29.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

1766 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:50 pm
fogo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:16 pm I was speaking with a friend who saw that scrimmage up at Union and said that while the offense looked good and Kelly will absolutely help the defense and goalies have a long way to go. As you might imagine as they lost their goalie and their top 4 poles including their top LSM. Long way to go but, this could be exciting as they game are going to be wild
They didn't lose their top LSM. All 3 return. Tommy Mendyke was/is the starter and he's returning, along with Splaine and Jones.

Strange that the stats don't indicate that to be the case...what am I missing?
I see 5 players with 10 or more CT's in 2023 and they were all seniors last year, weren't they?

Mendycke?

https://scarletknights.com/sports/mens- ... stats/2023

I must be misreading something...don't follow the team closely, I'm just looking at the stats.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

1766 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:50 pm

Didn't they lose Rall who was their top LSM and got some AA recognition? Of course, they picked up Rizzotti who can be a solid LSM if they don't use him on close D.

Post by 1766 »

Yes, apologies, that's correct. Mendyke may not be as productive as Rall who was clearly the best LSM in college, but he is a player too. It will be interesting to see where Rizotti plays. He's needed more at close than he is at the LSM position, even though he can play there also.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

1766 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:13 pm Yes, apologies, that's correct. Mendyke may not be as productive as Rall who was clearly the best LSM in college, but he is a player too. It will be interesting to see where Rizotti plays. He's needed more at close than he is at the LSM position, even though he can play there also.
Peter Rizzotti is the real deal, great motor and terrific young man...leader. Last year 27 GB's, 23 CTO's

At least according to those stats I cited, Mendycke had zero starts, zero GB's and zero CT's...I don't know whether he saw the field at all, but it doesn't show up in the stats. But he was a sophomore on a team with a whole lot of seniors...Edit: his bio, however says he did play, 2 GB's.

classmate Splaine had 20 GB's, 4 CTO's according to bio. Pretty good given others ahead of him.

Rall had 49 GB's, 21 CTO's...

Post by 1766 »

It looks like an outside scrimmage has been added to the fall schedule to go along with the traveling Red/White scrimmages. Brown on October 29th, at Rutgers.

Post by 1766 »

The scrimmage v Brown tomorrow is open to the public for those in the area looking to see some lacrosse. Anticipating it will be an up and down affair with a lot of action.

https://scarletknights.com/news/2023/10 ... unday.aspx

Post by 1766 »

Good to have lacrosse on a rainy day in October. I can't speak to whom Brown did or didn't have playing. Like most teams, I would assume this wasn't their full set of starters and key back-ups. It certainly wasn't for Rutgers, as I had Ross Scott out along with another starting attackman and limited time from Colin Kelly. Most of starting midfield played with a few of the "knowns" playing more sparingly. If Knobloch stays healthy he's going to be in the conversation for midfielder of the year. I'm not sure there is an LSM in the country that can stop him. He's going to command slides from everyone. Sort of out of nowhere is James Ringer who is back for a super senior year. He made his presence known. Aimone looks to have taken another step and will be the recipient of Knobloch's talents. All in all, the Knights sat 8 guys who you expect to see play massive or smaller roles.

The defense looked stout and you can see why Cardin Stoller was considered one of the jewels of his recruiting class. He's going to be very good. Colin Kurdyla and Colin Zeller really stood out among the newbies. You don't want to expect too much from first years but those two are very clearly physically ready to play B1G lacrosse. I expect to see both of them often in the Spring. Rizzotti is as advertised.

You don't want to put too much on a fall ball game in late October with some guys out, but Rutgers was clearly bigger, faster, stronger, even sitting 8 guys who will play. Unofficially with 6 quarters of play:

End of 1: 4-0 Knights
End of 2: 6-3 Knights
End of 3: 10-4 Knights
End of 4: 16-5 Knights
End of 5: 20-6 Knights
End of 6: 22-9 Knights

Great conclusion to the fall schedule. Now comes the focus on training and individual skills development, along with Red/White scrimmages.
Last edited by 1766 on Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1766 »

Some highlights along with a message from Coach Brecht from the Brown scrimmage have been posted. It wasn't as noticeable during the game but the shooting from the Knights really stands out, highlights and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9z-_nNFlik

Post by 1766 »

Inside Lacrosse posted article on their day at Rutgers. Indeed, Rutgers should host the FF again. It makes too much sense.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -new/62232
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

If Rutgers were to hold the Final Four, they might break the all time attendance record. Great stadium and location with a lot of parking. Bathrooms and concessions need improvement but all else is fantastic. Attendance keeps dropping at these other venues. It's definately worth a try. Lower the ticket prices.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

they need to stop going to NFL stadiums.

i'm sure the fee for use is high - making ticket prices high. plus the optics are awful seeing a half empty stadium.

going to MLS stadiums or smaller CFB stadiums would be great.

Post by 1766 »

Most of the MLS stadiums are between 20K-25K capacity. I am not sure they are big enough to host a FF, at least not in an established lacrosse state from the mid Atlantic up.

Rutgers is situated geographically very well and has a perfectly sized stadium and open areas for tailgating. It would be great for the sport to get back to university campuses.

I would throw Delaware in there too, although their tailgating options aren't nearly as vast.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

either way - i think it would be better to move the finals weekend to a smaller venue. when i'm watching with non-lacrosse fans, they just always comment how empty the stadiums look.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

1766 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:53 pm Most of the MLS stadiums are between 20K-25K capacity. I am not sure they are big enough to host a FF, at least not in an established lacrosse state from the mid Atlantic up.

Rutgers is situated geographically very well and has a perfectly sized stadium and open areas for tailgating. It would be great for the sport to get back to university campuses.

I would throw Delaware in there too, although their tailgating options aren't nearly as vast.
They moved off campus bcs the schools were not an ious to host the tourney and many stadiums were mot big enough. Having done that they then put it out to bid driving up prices and pricing out affordability for many fan families.

When Rutgers first hosted the games were played in a FB stadium surrounded by an 8? lane track venue far from the playing field. Main access was a two lane road that was clogged.

Post by 1766 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:26 am
1766 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:53 pm Most of the MLS stadiums are between 20K-25K capacity. I am not sure they are big enough to host a FF, at least not in an established lacrosse state from the mid Atlantic up.

They moved off campus bcs the schools were not an ious to host the tourney and many stadiums were mot big enough. Having done that they then put it out to bid driving up prices and pricing out affordability for many fan families.

When Rutgers first hosted the games were played in a FB stadium surrounded by an 8? lane track venue far from the playing field. Main access was a two lane road that was clogged.
That's true but that was in the 70's/80's. There is no track (hasn't been since the 90's) and the stadium seats 55K which is a great number for a FF that is two hours or less from Maryland/NY. There is also a recruiting lounge and large VIP box that runs the length of the sidelines for bigger spenders. There are plans to add more seating and more boxes but it's would be great as is for a lacrosse FF. The location is perfect and ample room for tailgating. There are three access points and River Road was expanded. It would also be less expensive than NFL stadiums obviously.

Maryland and Delaware are other decent options but neither one have the tailgating areas that Rutgers would offer.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

I believe the largest FF crowd was about 20 years ago at MHT in Baltimore, 48,000. That fits nicely with SHI's 55,000. Probably would lose some Baltimore fans by the switch but pick more attendance from LI. New England becomes a day trip which would help as well.

Post by 1766 »

Don't forget the proliferation of lacrosse in NJ and PA at the youth and high school levels that would surely draw more interest in an easy day trip.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”