Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:01 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:36 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:27 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:35 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:25 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:02 pm
ODACtionEmpire wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:58 am
Laxguy703 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:06 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:32 pm Scrimmages?
I know Coach Thompson never does scrimmages in the fall. CNU is a bit out of the way from everyone so the travel costs for a fall scrimmage wouldn’t really be worth it.
CNU is within 4 hours of several really strong programs
- Richmond, UVA, Georgetown, UNC, maybe High Point, etc. Obviously they have to have someone WANT to play them, but with their pedigree that shouldn't be a problem.

So is Thompson's philosophy to keep the cards close to the chest? I have a feeling my son, who also plays DIII, would grow tired of scrimmaging his own teammates for an entire fall. Curious, but obviously hasn't hurt them too much.
From the players I’ve talked to about it, they seem like they enjoy having the fall to themselves. Work on yourself and your team concepts. They typically do 2-3 scrimmages in the spring anyways so they still get their game reps ahead of the real games.
I have never met a lax player that only wants to practice and not scrimmage.
It's not up to the player, and I really don't think most coaches care what the players like/dislike. The kids that were recruits all know what they were getting into. Besides, they have multiple intrasquad scrimmages as stated in an earlier post.
Spoken like a coach on his way out. Coaches don’t care what players like??? Seriously?
Do you think coaches discuss this with players? “ Hey Jimmy how many fall ball scrimmages do want to have this year?” Laughable! Budgetary concerns play a huge part in these decisions. It doesn’t mean they don’t/won’t travel, but it has nothing to do with the players likes/dislikes.
Show me a successful college program where players are not happy with the coach. Yes, coaches are 100% in tune with players wants.
A coach can be 100% in tune with his players wants while still not being able to meet they want.. You act like they have an unlimited budget.

Word on the street is that CNU will be traveling to a top NESCAC team this year. They will also be playing in the mustang classic again. That’s 3-4 nights of hotel costs and at least 30 hours in a charter bus. Doing all of this is probably pushing their budget to the max. Now what would you rather have:
Option A: A chance to play to play 3 top 15 programs during the season w/ no fall scrimmages
Option B: A meaningless fall scrimmage and potentially no Mustang Classic or NESCAC Trip

Of course all lax players like scrimmaging more than practicing, but budgets exist. Find me a coach that meets 100% of his players needs and I’ll be shocked lol.
laxdad1434

Re: CNU 2023

Post by laxdad1434 »

I know Coach Thompson never does scrimmages in the fall. CNU is a bit out of the way from everyone so the travel costs for a fall scrimmage wouldn’t really be worth it.
- Richmond, UVA, Georgetown, UNC, maybe High Point, etc. Obviously they have to have someone WANT to play them, but with their pedigree that shouldn't be a problem.

So is Thompson's philosophy to keep the cards close to the chest? I have a feeling my son, who also plays DIII, would grow tired of scrimmaging his own teammates for an entire fall. Curious, but obviously hasn't hurt them too much.
From the players I’ve talked to about it, they seem like they enjoy having the fall to themselves. Work on yourself and your team concepts. They typically do 2-3 scrimmages in the spring anyways so they still get their game reps ahead of the real games.
It's not up to the player, and I really don't think most coaches care what the players like/dislike. The kids that were recruits all know what they were getting into. Besides, they have multiple intrasquad scrimmages as stated in an earlier post.
Spoken like a coach on his way out. Coaches don’t care what players like??? Seriously?
Do you think coaches discuss this with players? “ Hey Jimmy how many fall ball scrimmages do want to have this year?” Laughable! Budgetary concerns play a huge part in these decisions. It doesn’t mean they don’t/won’t travel, but it has nothing to do with the players likes/dislikes.
Show me a successful college program where players are not happy with the coach. Yes, coaches are 100% in tune with players wants.
[/quote
No, coaches are in tune with what the team needs. Very different. Most kids that don’t adjust to a team’s philosophy leave, get cut, transfer. It’s always about the team, not individual wants.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

[/quote
No, coaches are in tune with what the team needs. Very different. Most kids that don’t adjust to a team’s philosophy leave, get cut, transfer. It’s always about the team, not individual wants.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Agree, budget constraints limit what you can do in the fall for sure. Unless they can get teams to come down to CNU to play would be an option like VA Wes and I know they scrimmage Hampton typically in the spring time.

But I do believe saving money to travel for spring scrimmage before the season is more beneficial than a fall ball scrimmage. Playing York before the season last year in my mind was a very smart move for CNU playing a powerhouse top 15 team. Fall in my opinion is more focusing on fundamentals, team bonding, and building depth charts.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Tufts posted their schedule on Instagram. CNU travels up to face the Jumbo's on March 6th. Excited for that matchup.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:57 am Tufts posted their schedule on Instagram. CNU travels up to face the Jumbo's on March 6th. Excited for that matchup.
Kudos to MT and CD for scheduling that banger of a test. Tantalizing. Well done!

Would be really cool (Berkman level) IF there was a rematch in the championship. And if that happens, does a win/loss affect the edge of either team.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:06 am
ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:57 am Tufts posted their schedule on Instagram. CNU travels up to face the Jumbo's on March 6th. Excited for that matchup.
Kudos to MT and CD for scheduling that banger of a test. Tantalizing. Well done!

Would be really cool (Berkman level) IF there was a rematch in the championship. And if that happens, does a win/loss affect the edge of either team.
Seems like tufts rarely travels for tough OOC games. They definitely have a home field advantage. So unless tufts blows out CNU in March, I don’t really think it will have much impact if those teams met again in the tournament at a neutral site.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:36 am

Seems like tufts rarely travels for tough OOC games. They definitely have a home field advantage. So unless tufts blows out CNU in March, I don’t really think it will have much impact if those teams met again in the tournament at a neutral site.
Yeah, the March game up there will likely be affected by the temp. My personal experience as a player tells me that anytime you see a great team twice in one season, the first game has an impact on confidence, match-ups, nuanced stuff on man up and down, mindset, the list goes on. It's a risk for CNU to travel up there early, and I love that they are taking that risk.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:01 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:36 am

Yeah, the March game up there will likely be affected by the temp. My personal experience as a player tells me that anytime you see a great team twice in one season, the first game has an impact on confidence, match-ups, nuanced stuff on man up and down, mindset, the list goes on. It's a risk for CNU to travel up there early, and I love that they are taking that risk.
I don’t see it as a risk. At this point, it looks like the top 4 teams have separated themselves from the rest. CNU can learn a lot by playing the other three (RIT, Tufts, and SU)
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Caught up with my buddy who attended the blue - white game this past weekend.

Couple of notes he shared:
- CNU returned everyone so the team is still loaded with talent.
- The freshman class is extremely talented and has a few players who should make a quick impact.
- Standouts we’re #28 #1 #2 #13 #18 #22 #52 #56 #60
- You can tell some of the returning AA guys have been putting muscle over the off-season as they look a bit faster and stronger out there compared to the previous year.
- With such a strong freshman class and some more experienced backups, depth may actually be a strong suit this year compared to last year where it was a bit of a weakness.
- All goalies played well.
- FO’s were iffy. About 4 or 5 early calls so none of the guys could get in a groove. Cabbanis is there so this will continue to be a strong suit for them.

Some of the parents were chattering about a D1 pole transferring in from a solid school. Interested to hear more about this as we get closer to the season. Would be great to bring a replacement in for 2X AA Burke Widhelm.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

https://www.cnusports.com/sports/mens-l ... edule/2024

2024 schedule is up and it looks like a good one. 3/6 to 4/6 is a heck of a gauntlet that I can’t wait for. Tufts, St. Lawrence, Dickinson, Williams, Lynchburg, and Salisbury. If they make it out of that stretch with at least 4 wins then they are a lock for the tournament.

In other news, I received confirmation that they did indeed get a D1 transfer who will be there in the spring. They are targeting one more who would make a big impact.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Excellent schedule!

Do you know where the D1 pole is coming from? And the position of the other transfer (school also?)

Thanks for the insider access!
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Oaklax wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:20 pm Excellent schedule!

Do you know where the D1 pole is coming from? And the position of the other transfer (school also?)

I heard of two D1 poles that have mentioned transferring to CNU
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:12 am

Aren't all 3 of last years starters, Widhelm, Young, Beckmeyer, coming back?
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

laxdad1434 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:45 pm

Yes, but these are Freshman transfers potentially. I think the future will be bright if they add to what they already have
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:59 pm

Yes, but these are Freshman transfers potentially. I think the future will be bright if they add to what they already have
I think the future will be bright no matter what. They're loaded.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:02 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:59 pm

I think the future will be bright no matter what. They're loaded.
They are bringing in 2 poles. One of them is a sophomore from Hofstra(Don’t know his name) and the other is a freshman from VMI who graduated from Oakton as a 2nd team All-Met guy his senior year. If you’re from the DMV area then you know that being 2nd team all met as a public school kid is quite impressive.

The future is extremely bright for this CNU program. They lose a lot next year, but the amount of current and future talent coming in will have them in the top 7 range for a long time. Their 2023 & 2024 recruiting classes are loaded.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

As it pertains to their NC hopes, to get there, it will come down to how they handle the Gulls in the first match-up, CLC finals, and in the NCAAs. Three potential match-ups. This situation happened with Stevenson and the Gulls years ago. It was back and forth for a while. Whoever won the conference lost in the NCAAs. The Captains are used to playing the Gulls. Tantalizing match-ups that juice up your entire program. There will be adjustments made by Berkman regardless of the outcomes. I doubt either side will be clearly better than the other at any point in the season. So, can MT counter those adjustments. If you show your full assortment in the first or second game, it'll be tough. If you don't, can you be competitive. CNU has the horses. I can't wait to see how those games play out.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”