~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
TheBigIguana

Re: ~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

Post by TheBigIguana »

The Syracuse game should be a fun one but Penn State potentially being a round two opponent is a nightmare for the Hounds. They probably need 8+ points from Spencer, a 50% shooting number and a herculean effort from Stover just to keep it close. Feels like another QF exit might be the best case this year. I hope I'm wrong.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:45 am The Syracuse game should be a fun one but Penn State potentially being a round two opponent is a nightmare for the Hounds. They probably need 8+ points from Spencer, a 50% shooting number and a herculean effort from Stover just to keep it close. Feels like another QF exit might be the best case this year. I hope I'm wrong.
Hopkins needed 9 points from Joey Epstein to take Penn State to OT. I have never seen an offense like Penn State’s where behind-the-back and wild, acrobatic shots were taken so routinely.

Better Loyola or Syracuse face Penn State in the quarterfinals than Hopkins.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
tech37

Post by tech37 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:45 am The Syracuse game should be a fun one but Penn State potentially being a round two opponent is a nightmare for the Hounds. They probably need 8+ points from Spencer, a 50% shooting number and a herculean effort from Stover just to keep it close. Feels like another QF exit might be the best case this year. I hope I'm wrong.
Wow!... Hound's fans looking past Cuse already? Hmmm...
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:16 am
Wow!... Hound's fans looking past Cuse already? Hmmm...
I don't think there is anywhere that I said Loyola is going to beat Syracuse or that Saturday will be easy. Just pointing out the difficulty of the following round should it happen and sorry to Cuse but that game would be a bigger challenge.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Spenser, who I like a lot, has had some poor games recently. Stover was taking some poor shots etc. Do that against Cuse and it could be a long day.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

OCanada wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 am Spenser, who I like a lot, has had some poor games recently. Stover was taking some poor shots etc. Do that against Cuse and it could be a long day.

There are some hardcore Loyola fans here at the fanlax forums, and I promise no one who knows the game and this team is 'looking past Cuse'. If anything, Loyola is the decided underdog in this matchup. Spencer has throttled way back (reasons unknown), and the team generally has exhibited less than 100% effort since the Gtown game second half. The team, as molo said, may have peaked in February, unfortunately.

I'd disagree however with OCanada's assessment of Stover's recent performances: he's the only player besides Bailey that have kept us from losing even more games. Stover has stood tall in every game I have seen, and I think I've seen all of them. He must be averaging 12+ saves a game.

I'm sure most of us here do not expect Loyola to beat Cuse. That's the simple cold reality of where we are. I'd love nothing more than to do it, but recent games don't give you much confidence that the Hounds have the mojo to do much in this matchup. And, a good deal of the crowd will cheer for Syracuse's young Brendan Curry to have a good game, regardless of outcome. Hometown boy.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:39 am
OCanada wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 am Spenser, who I like a lot, has had some poor games recently. Stover was taking some poor shots etc. Do that against Cuse and it could be a long day.

There are some hardcore Loyola fans here at the fanlax forums, and I promise no one who knows the game and this team is 'looking past Cuse'. If anything, Loyola is the decided underdog in this matchup. Spencer has throttled way back (reasons unknown), and the team generally has exhibited less than 100% effort since the Gtown game second half. The team, as molo said, may have peaked in February, unfortunately.

I'd disagree however with OCanada's assessment of Stover's recent performances: he's the only player besides Bailey that have kept us from losing even more games. Stover has stood tall in every game I have seen, and I think I've seen all of them. He must be averaging 12+ saves a game.

I'm sure most of us here do not expect Loyola to beat Cuse. That's the simple cold reality of where we are. I'd love nothing more than to do it, but recent games don't give you much confidence that the Hounds have the mojo to do much in this matchup. And, a good deal of the crowd will cheer for Syracuse's young Brendan Curry to have a good game, regardless of outcome. Hometown boy.
100% agree on Stover. That Army game could have been over at halftime without his performance.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:39 am

I agree with every word above. Anyone who has been following the team, and their late-season decline, would consider the Hounds to be the underdog. Since the Georgetown game, Spencer has looked ordinary at best. Something is clearly wrong, whether injury or something else. The offense is no longer moving the ball, and good defenses like Army's have no trouble shutting them down. Stover has kept us in games that would have been blow-outs otherwise.

The Hounds don't have to travel on Saturday, but it might not feel like a home game. Syracuse fans are notorious for traveling to see their team play, and they will probably fill up Ridley. I remember seeing Loyola play Syracuse in the '90's (Casey Powell era) in the Orioles' old Memorial Stadium, and one would have thought we were in the Carrier Dome there were so many Cuse fans there. Should be a crazy atmosphere, but I hope the fans show up to support the home team.

Let's go Hounds!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I’ll throw in my 2 cents as I was shaking last night after the announcement of the loyola cuse game..

I really see this as either a tight game or a blowout by one side. Both teams are coming off uninspiring losses but Syracuse has been playing much much better than loyola in the last few games.

There are many variables for this game, including personal vendettas for Toomey and Scanlan. Toomey being the last goalie against Syracuse to lose in the national finals, and Scanlan being an original top Syracuse recruit.

If Spencer and company really play their best game like how they were in February, then they can win(maybe). Then they would have to go another level to compete with penn state as they have probably the deepest team I’ve ever seen.

If Toomey somehow wins both games.... look out
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:26 am I’ll throw in my 2 cents as I was shaking last night after the announcement of the loyola cuse game..

I really see this as either a tight game or a blowout by one side. Both teams are coming off uninspiring losses but Syracuse has been playing much much better than loyola in the last few games.

There are many variables for this game, including personal vendettas for Toomey and Scanlan. Toomey being the last goalie against Syracuse to lose in the national finals, and Scanlan being an original top Syracuse recruit.

If Spencer and company really play their best game like how they were in February, then they can win(maybe). Then they would have to go another level to compete with penn state as they have probably the deepest team I’ve ever seen.

Houndace: you and Big Iguana must be being paid by Syracuse to keep posting nonsense like 'wow, if we beat PSU...'. Umm, there's a game this Saturday...probably it's smart to not think past one game at a time at this stage, especially when you aren't even favored to win the game.

We've been on a five-game downward slide, interrupted only by the in-season Army game (which you can lay somewhat to Spencer deciding to take matters into his own hands); our last game (also against Army) was an egg.

Cuse's last game they barely lost to UNC on UNC's home field. It wasn't really an uninspiring loss; in fact the opposite, they were in command. That game, which I watched, should have been won by Cuse. In our losses, we should not have won. These are two different-skilled teams at this stage.

Also so far as vendetta's, I think it's more accurate to say that Cuse has the vendetta against Scanlan, not Scanlan to Cuse, since it's Scanlan who decommitted from Cuse.

Meanwhile, feel free to post all you want obviously, but locker room material is never a wise choice. And btw, Loyola will not "blow out" Cuse. No one has blown Cuse out all year, and Loyola surely will not be the first.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:47 am
houndace1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:26 am I’ll throw in my 2 cents as I was shaking last night after the announcement of the loyola cuse game..

Houndace: you and Big Iguana must be being paid by Syracuse to keep posting nonsense like 'wow, if we beat PSU...'. Umm, there's a game this Saturday...probably it's smart to not think past one game at a time at this stage, especially when you aren't even favored to win the game.

We've been on a five-game downward slide, interrupted only by the in-season Army game (which you can lay somewhat to Spencer deciding to take matters into his own hands); our last game (also against Army) was an egg.

Cuse's last game they barely lost to UNC on UNC's home field. It wasn't really an uninspiring loss; in fact the opposite, they were in command. That game, which I watched, should have been won by Cuse. In our losses, we should not have won. These are two different-skilled teams at this stage.

Also so far as vendetta's, I think it's more accurate to say that Cuse has the vendetta against Scanlan, not Scanlan to Cuse, since it's Scanlan who decommitted from Cuse.

Meanwhile, feel free to post all you want obviously, but locker room material is never a wise choice. And btw, Loyola will not "blow out" Cuse. No one has blown Cuse out all year, and Loyola surely will not be the first.
I just don’t understand why my OPINION/ thoughts ona game which I am ANXIOUS and uneasy about has to be meticulously picked apart by you. And if you think I’m just posting this to boost Syracuse’s morale and their fans, then just no. Ofc I know this game isn’t in our favor given how we’re playing
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

We can fret about games, like Syracuse Hopkins threads week to week.
This tournament is meant for possible upsets year in year out. Not saying it could happen this year.
But I like to show a tiny bit of optimism during biggamd weeks, just hoping that Toomey and the staff can reverse fortunes
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:53 am

I just don’t understand why my OPINION/ thoughts ona game which I am ANXIOUS and uneasy about has to be meticulously picked apart by you. And if you think I’m just posting this to boost Syracuse’s morale and their fans, then just no. Ofc I know this game isn’t in our favor given how we’re playing

Look, I'm glad you're excited about this Saturday, but it's best to keep the focus there and no point past it. This game was always going to be a challenge for the Hounds; we aren't playing that great. 'Cuse's selection made it all that much harder (we'd have a fighter's chance against a team we know, like Towson or HOP; 'Cuse is an athletic team with depth, which has not been a good matchup for us this year).

Further, the stadium will be equally repped by both teams; you'll see a ton of orange there. It won't be the same old feeling at the RAC we have come to know.

So, when you start talking about a future game that Loyola doesn't have the right to even entertain in our heads, that helps 'Cuse. Hope the coaches this week can right what has been clearly wrong.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Interesting matchup between two good teams, should be a good game. Each coming off loss in last game but everybody starts 0-0 come tourney.

Loyola has the heralded scorers while Cuse has more balance. Outcome depends on what teams show up and play of goalie always matter.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Peter Brown. I inserted the wrong name not stover should have been Scanlan. I thought the shots he took were ok but poorly executed. Anyway I like Stover
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

stupefied wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:27 am Interesting matchup between two good teams, should be a good game. Each coming off loss in last game but everybody starts 0-0 come tourney.

Loyola has the heralded scorers while Cuse has more balance. Outcome depends on what teams show up and play of goalie always matter.
Agreed on all points. What's interesting about Cuse is that while they are loaded with skilled athletes, they don't have a go-to star on offense. They share the ball well, but they also can be chaotic and out of control, which means we need go play good TEAM defense rather than focusing on shutting down one guy. The we've played defense recently offers some promise, even in our disappointing losses. Unlike the beginning of the season when. We were giving up double-digit goals against EVERYONE (anyone remember the Holy Cross game?), we have been holding opponents to well under 10 (BU aside).

The irony is that now that our defense is playing better (not to mention stellar play from Stovet and Savio), our once-dynamic offense has gone to sleep. I was at the Army game, and haven't had time to rewatch it on TV, but it looked to me like we took a number of good shots, but just couldn't can them. How often does Lindley miss the cage? And Spencer hit Baretto right in the knees, and of course there was the kick save. If things had gone slightly differently, that could have been a win. However,, we do need to get back to the rapid passing that was so successful early in the season. Anyone who has watched PSU play knows that rapid ball movement is a formula for success.

I am hoping for a great game on Saturday.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:15 am
houndace1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:53 am

Look, I'm glad you're excited about this Saturday, but it's best to keep the focus there and no point past it. This game was always going to be a challenge for the Hounds; we aren't playing that great. 'Cuse's selection made it all that much harder (we'd have a fighter's chance against a team we know, like Towson or HOP; 'Cuse is an athletic team with depth, which has not been a good matchup for us this year).

Further, the stadium will be equally repped by both teams; you'll see a ton of orange there. It won't be the same old feeling at the RAC we have come to know.

So, when you start talking about a future game that Loyola doesn't have the right to even entertain in our heads, that helps 'Cuse. Hope the coaches this week can right what has been clearly wrong.
Fair points in your post. Sorry for the outburst i've had a lot going on and this season i looked forward to every game to just get away for 2-3 hours. Now knowing that we have a tough game where the season could end in the first round (as Loyola has an unfortunate history of bowing out in the first game), just makes me more anxious than i usually am for regular season games.

So let's just discuss gameplan, personnel, matchups for this game. one game at a time as you said. Hoping the team can pull through and reverse recent game performances
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Finally, It's Spencer's last year as we all know and we all want this team to win it all. So let's root for them as hard as we can, scout, devise gameplans etc.

Just a tidbit i thought of with no significance but. Loyola last won in 2012. Spencer wears #7. Lucky Number 7 .... 7 years since the title. See where i could be lightheartedly going.. :lol:
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

So Loyola fans I will pose the question what has been going on with the Hounds the last few weeks? Based on some of the comments sounds like it could be a few different things. I haven't been to a game at Loyola so looking forward to catching one in person based on the reputation it gets as a home field!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Pensky Material wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:58 am So Loyola fans I will pose the question what has been going on with the Hounds the last few weeks? Based on some of the comments sounds like it could be a few different things. I haven't been to a game at Loyola so looking forward to catching one in person based on the reputation it gets as a home field!
Generally they haven't won many 1v1 matchups on the defensive end. Offense has had a either bad shooting, bad turnovers or in the Army game both. Spencer hasn't been at his best since probably the Lehigh game either. The defensive stuff has been a long term problem so for me it'll be up the the offense and Stover to step up and carry this team as far as they can.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”