W&L 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: W&L 2023

Post by Laxattackjack »

valaxfan wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:39 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:38 am UVA has 11 players on its roster from Virginia on its roster. How many recruits do people expect W&L to get from within state. They don’t recruit academically against Roanoke , Lynchburg, HSC or CNU. What I struggle with is seeing a kid go to a NECAC school over W&L assuming that they could get into W&L. I know of a player who tried and failed to enter W&L but was accepted to Amherst. Admission teams vary and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think for W&L’s academic profile they hold their own with Virginia recruits
I thought the discussion was around kids at public Virginia High Schools, VHSL, not private schools. In that case, Generals have 2 kids, out of 9, in public high schools, EC Glass in Lynchburg. This is where the Gennies could do some marketing I believe.

valaxfan
The discussion was if the teams from the 70’s were better than the current teams. High schools were mentioned, to show the game was not well known in the 70’s. Many high schools did not even offer lacrosse then, so many athletic kids never played the sport. This made the talent pool very thin compared to current times. Add to that, the nutrition, training, available funds, and film that is available for the current generation. I don’t think a team from 50 years ago, could compete with todays top teams from any division.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:09 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:38 am UVA has 11 players on its roster from Virginia on its roster. How many recruits do people expect W&L to get from within state. They don’t recruit academically against Roanoke , Lynchburg, HSC or CNU. What I struggle with is seeing a kid go to a NECAC school over W&L assuming that they could get into W&L. I know of a player who tried and failed to enter W&L but was accepted to Amherst. Admission teams vary and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think for W&L’s academic profile they hold their own with Virginia recruits
I thought the discussion was around kids at public Virginia High Schools, VHSL, not private schools. In that case, Generals have 2 kids, out of 9, in public high schools, EC Glass in Lynchburg. This is where the Gennies could do some marketing I believe.

valaxfan
The discussion was if the teams from the 70’s were better than the current teams. High schools were mentioned, to show the game was not well known in the 70’s. Many high schools did not even offer lacrosse then, so many athletic kids never played the sport. This made the talent pool very thin compared to current times. Add to that, the nutrition, training, available funds, and film that is available for the current generation. I don’t think a team from 50 years ago, could compete with todays top teams from any division.
Athletes are athletes, whether it's 1970 or 2023. Even playing field, (same equip, field) past teams would definitely compete.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:24 am

valaxfan
Athletes are athletes, whether it's 1970 or 2023. Even playing field, (same equip, field) past teams would definitely compete.
Is your view on this topic, just for the 70’s W&L team, or do you feel that way about all sports? Could a top basketball team from the 70’s, compete with the best teams of today? Could a top qb from the 70’s compete with the best of todays qbs?
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:20 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:24 am

valaxfan
Is your view on this topic, just for the 70’s W&L team, or do you feel that way about all sports? Could a top basketball team from the 70’s, compete with the best teams of today? Could a top qb from the 70’s compete with the best of todays qbs?
[/quot

All sports...you also have to look at rule changes, especially in Football and Basketball.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

valaxfan
LAJ, I got that because I was involved in that portion but the discussion went dow the rabbit hole of how many from Virginia are on the teams and I am pretty sure, that discussion is more relevant to W&L, for public high schools, not private, they already do well in private. Thx.

valaxfan

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”