Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Quinnipiac names Allyson Baribault assistant coach.

Emma Olson named assistant coach at Detroit Mercy.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Charlie Leonard promoted to assistant coach @ NU

https://nusports.com/news/2023/9/1/wome ... znpfpDoUyo
OuttaNowhereWregget

Meg Douty

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Meg Douty named assistant coach/defensive coordinator for Monmouth Hawks.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Meg Douty

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:15 pm Meg Douty named assistant coach/defensive coordinator for Monmouth Hawks.
Looks like the Hawks are gonna get in good physical condition. Potentially a very good hire.
LaxGnome22

Re: Meg Douty

Post by LaxGnome22 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:15 pm Meg Douty named assistant coach/defensive coordinator for Monmouth Hawks.
Add another team with a leg up with having direct contact with her Club Team for 11 months out of the year but we are supposed to buy there is no impropriety. And I’m not saying she will do anything wrong or against the rules. Don’t know her. Just don’t understand how it’s allowed.
Laxdad126

Post by Laxdad126 »

My daughter was at a lax camp recently and heard some of the coaches talking about how William and Mary lost both assistant coaches. Can anyone confirm? If so would be second year in a row that both assistant coaches left.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Sorta like Stanford.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Laxdad126 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:03 am My daughter was at a lax camp recently and heard some of the coaches talking about how William and Mary lost both assistant coaches. Can anyone confirm? If so would be second year in a row that both assistant coaches left.
I wouldn't read much into this. this is pretty common at lower D1 programs which aren't that well funded. I believe W&M only funds 5 or 6 scholarships (about half of the limit).

Assistants are generally recent college grads and salary is usually $35k or less. And unlike big schools, the money from camps is pretty small.

Assistants generally will find a better assistant job or move to a club or HS job which pays a lot more.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:08 pm
Laxdad126 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:03 am My daughter was at a lax camp recently and heard some of the coaches talking about how William and Mary lost both assistant coaches. Can anyone confirm? If so would be second year in a row that both assistant coaches left.
I wouldn't read much into this. this is pretty common at lower D1 programs which aren't that well funded. I believe W&M only funds 5 or 6 scholarships (about half of the limit).

Assistants are generally recent college grads and salary is usually $35k or less. And unlike big schools, the money from camps is pretty small.

Assistants generally will find a better assistant job or move to a club or HS job which pays a lot more.
In the case of low D1's I agree with you, although many pay more than $35,000. In the case of William and Mary I have to disagree with you.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

suffolk wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:47 am

In the case of low D1's I agree with you, although many pay more than $35,000. In the case of William and Mary I have to disagree with you.
I'll defer to you on W&M then. However in lower D1 conferences like Northeast, Sun, Big South, MAC, $35k is a pretty typical coaching salary, which is why many of the assistants have side job with local clubs outside of the spring season.

At some of those schools, head coaches don't make much more than $50k.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:44 am

I'll defer to you on W&M then. However in lower D1 conferences like Northeast, Sun, Big South, MAC, $35k is a pretty typical coaching salary, which is why many of the assistants have side job with local clubs outside of the spring season.

At some of those schools, head coaches don't make much more than $50k.
I wouldn't think there would be much in the budget for non-revenue coaches so this matches what I would guess (since I don't know). I've even seen unpaid "volunteer" coaches being mentioned. My DD was going to a top 10 D3 schools camps and I would guess that's how the coaches make a living or at least fill it out. They're always packed even know there doesn't seem to be much benefit really.

I imagine if the coach hustles enough with camps, club coaching etc... then they can make a decent living.
Carolinagrad

Post by Carolinagrad »

You are correct in regards to assistant coaches salary for William and Mary's conference the CAA. A search of a competing state school in the CAA on openthebookscom found that the assistant coach had a base salary of 57,000 in 2022.
Laxdad126

Post by Laxdad126 »

A buddy of mine who had a daughter on the W&M team last year said that the two assistant coaches that recently left were hand selected by the coach. , and that one is going to be coaching at Towson and the other to Oregon.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Think this is where the discussion of this was.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... beff&ei=16
Lacrossefan2023

Post by Lacrossefan2023 »

I am a parent of a William and Mary Lacrosse player and there are very specific reasons why the assistant coaches have been like a revolving door over the last few years. And it’s not good. The head coach has created a toxic environment and is impossible to work with and for. The assistant coaches from this past year left on extremely bad terms with her. That being said the team loves each other and the girls are very close.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Lacrossefan2023 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:16 pm I am a parent of a William and Mary Lacrosse player and there are very specific reasons why the assistant coaches have been like a revolving door over the last few years. And it’s not good. The head coach has created a toxic environment and is impossible to work with and for. The assistant coaches from this past year left on extremely bad terms with her. That being said the team loves each other and the girls are very close.
You’ve made one post on this forum. And it was declaring a head coach and her environment are toxic; without offering any evidence or first hand accounts. (It doesn’t lend to your credibility when you show up and this is your first post. It makes it look like you have an axe to grind. Which means we now have to consider your obvious bias). Did the assistant coaches tell you why they left? Have you visited a practice? Have you sat in the office during player meetings? If no to all of these, then you should really re-evaluate making inflammatory comments about the coach like that. How would you feel if someone who had never visited your job, never spoken to you, and never “been inside your building” made such statements about you and your job?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:15 am
Lacrossefan2023 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:16 pm I am a parent of a William and Mary Lacrosse player and there are very specific reasons why the assistant coaches have been like a revolving door over the last few years. And it’s not good. The head coach has created a toxic environment and is impossible to work with and for. The assistant coaches from this past year left on extremely bad terms with her. That being said the team loves each other and the girls are very close.
You’ve made one post on this forum. And it was declaring a head coach and her environment are toxic; without offering any evidence or first hand accounts. (It doesn’t lend to your credibility when you show up and this is your first post. It makes it look like you have an axe to grind. Which means we now have to consider your obvious bias). Did the assistant coaches tell you why they left? Have you visited a practice? Have you sat in the office during player meetings? If no to all of these, then you should really re-evaluate making inflammatory comments about the coach like that. How would you feel if someone who had never visited your job, never spoken to you, and never “been inside your building” made such statements about you and your job?
As an aside from this, I have spent the past 25 years involved in college athletics in some form (student athlete, assistant coach, Division 1 head coach, spouse of a Division 1 head coach, and now fan). I have witnessed a shift in parental involvement. My perspective is that as college has become more expensive, the level of parental involvement in college athletics is going up. As if the mantra is “I am paying 80k a year for this school, your damn right I am going to call the coach/complain to the AD/hire an attorney to investigate x/encourage my kid to transfer when they are met with adversity.” Seems like some folks have forgotten they are paying for their child to get an education. They are not paying for them to be an athlete. Athletics is a privilege not a right. In some cases, the SCHOOLS are paying the ATHLETES via scholarships. I don’t know, just my two cents. But seems like parental perspective has become incredibly skewed as cost of college has gone up.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Granted, the problem with forums is anyone with an agenda can come on here and unfortunately rant without substantiation. It is brutal to see something posted about a family member from a parent with a grievance most likely due to their daughter not receiving playing time. That is what it all boils down to 90% of the time. For a high school coach there is also post-season recognition like not being named to Newsday's all Long Island team or to the UA 150 team. Some parents like to blame coaches for these things.

When you have had players visit or play for a particular college coach you do get a feel for the culture. The vast majority are good cultures. There a few that simply do not have great cultures. A consistent high turnover of assistants who move to either a lateral job, or one that is a lesser job, is a red flag that school does not have a great lacrosse culture.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Nadine Hadnagy promoted to assistant coach at Maryland.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Wow, a nerve was clearly hit with this post. I am not a parent with an agenda. I am a parent of a player on the team, I played D1 lacrosse myself and have coached for over 15 years, so I have the perspective from a coach, a parent and a player. The William and Mary head coach is toxic. I've heard from the assistants as to why they left and that is where much of the information comes from. (along with observing dynamics, hearing from my daughter, other players and parents experiences) The assistants who left this past year outlined the dysfunction that has created the turnover over the last few years. I'm sorry if this is something that is upsetting to hear (I'm thinking maybe you have a personal vested interested here because it seems a nerve was hit?) And by the way, as a parent I love nothing more than having absolutely NO involvement with the team. So this is not coming from an overly involved, disgruntled parent. Just giving honest input here hoping to help others to make informed decisions.
Last edited by [email protected] on Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”