Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: Transfer portal

Post by njbill »

The rising college seniors, i.e., those who graduate in 2024 don’t have a Covid year. Those players graduated high school in 2020 and were not in college when the Covid year (2020) was granted. They are not eligible for a fifth year.

In general, this (2024) should be the last year of grad transfers. The high school 2019s did get a Covid year and are eligible to use it as grad transfers in 2024.

There are exceptions for players who took off a year, redshirted, etc. Those players may be eligible for a fifth year, whether undergraduate or graduate.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

njbill wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:35 am The rising college seniors, i.e., those who graduate in 2024 don’t have a Covid year. Those players graduated high school in 2020 and were not in college when the Covid year (2020) was granted. They are not eligible for a fifth year.

In general, this (2024) should be the last year of grad transfers. The high school 2019s did get a Covid year and are eligible to use it as grad transfers in 2024.

There are exceptions for players who took off a year, redshirted, etc. Those players may be eligible for a fifth year, whether undergraduate or graduate.
All true - but there are an above normal (ie more than pre-COVID) amount of redshirts due to the backlog of COVID years - ie a lot of girls have been redshirted over the last few years due to the extra girls in the system.
lax

Post by lax »

njbill wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:35 am The rising college seniors, i.e., those who graduate in 2024 don’t have a Covid year. Those players graduated high school in 2020 and were not in college when the Covid year (2020) was granted. They are not eligible for a fifth year.

DIII spring sports received 2 years of eligibility for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Ah, thanks. Didn’t know that. I was focusing on D1.
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

What schools have had the most transfers?
Looking specifically at the top tier D1s. Seems like Maryland is at the top of the list with 3 leaving for other schools?
Any patterns of a mass exodus from a big school since the portal opened?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

HailMaryPass wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:13 am What schools have had the most transfers?
Looking specifically at the top tier D1s. Seems like Maryland is at the top of the list with 3 leaving for other schools?
viewtopic.php?p=488722#p488722
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

lax wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:13 pm

DIII spring sports received 2 years of eligibility for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.
Is it true that the Northwestern goalie has 2 years of Covid relief from D3 that she is using to play D1 - even though D1 players were players were only granted 1 year?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

HailMaryPass wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:13 am What schools have had the most transfers?
Has to be Clemson
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:50 pm
lax wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:13 pm

Is it true that the Northwestern goalie has 2 years of Covid relief from D3 that she is using to play D1 - even though D1 players were players were only granted 1 year?
Affirmative
OuttaNowhereWregget

Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:40 pm
Has to be Clemson
For this year? It was Rider with a whopping 12 incoming transfers.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Not considering Rider top tier d1
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:58 pm
Has to be Clemson
To be more clear, I meant the school with the most athletes to leave. Is there a pattern of a big name school with many players leaving every year?
Laxcat808

Post by Laxcat808 »

forthelaxofit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:45 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:44 pm
forthelaxofit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:03 pm When elite players are constantly leaving to join super teams, that is a problem. Only 1 team has made it to the finals other than the BIG 5 (NW, Cuse, BC, UNC and Maryland) in the last 15 years. As long as the transfer portal is the wild west and the “covid” years come in to play, I don’t see this changing. It is interesting to see the support and excitement the “boosters” of the BIG 5 jumping on this bandwagon and justify it in all ways possible. Is this really what fans of the game want? Granted this is not just a women’s lacrosse issue, but a problem in college sports.

I liked the article that someone posted by Bob Ryan on the college transfer portal. I also loved the post back on 8/14 by GratefulRed of the transfer portal activity and the “winners and losers”. I would love to see someone go through those same college rosters and try to figure out the average age by team of these women and how many starters are 5th, 6th and 7th year players. (yes there are 7th year players out there). To put that in perspective, these women were playing college lacrosse before this new freshman class of teenagers were in high school. Big difference in age.

I was rooting for Denver last year to break through. But they clearly went with “if you can’t beat them, join them” approach, bringing in 3 covid transfers who started playing college in the 2019 season when the current college freshman were in 8th grade. This on top of their several returning covid eligible players already. Denver might have the oldest starting college team ever? So I will need to cross them off my list for 2024 along with the BIG 5 and have to stick to rooting for the GratefulRed teams identified with no notable portal gain activity. These teams were Loyola, Michigan, Virginia and JMU. And of course Army and Navy, who year in and year out have to do what they do with only 4 year college students. No medical redshirts. No sitting a discretionary year just to get older. No Covid redos. These teams get it done with just heart, hard work and talent. I saw the Miracle on Ice movie – it could happen.
2 of the 3 Denver "transfers" are actually Ivy players who do not have the option to take a 5th year at their undergrad institutions/programs. Ivies rules do not allow graduate students on the roster ... made a one-time exception for 21 grads due to COVID. The opportunity to play a final season is a small payback for the chaos of 20 and 21 in the Ivies and I wish these ladies the best of luck.
The justification game will never end. One time exception on top of one time exception, etc. Fact is this is their 6th year, playing a college game meant for 4 years. Imagine what players like Apuzzo, Arsenault, etc. would have done with 2 extra years tied on to their college career? What would it have been like letting them play college 2 more years against kids significantly younger than them?

I don’t have a dog in the Denver race, or the BIG 5 for that matter. But as you sit there justifying the Ivies and all these other ladies close to their mid 20’s playing the 6th year due to Covid, do you feel the same for the girls who were in HS during Covid and lost 1-2 years of their HS careers? Who worked hard and dreamed of playing in college, to make it there and have rosters clogged up with ladies 6 years older than them? That it is justified and fair in your mind? They already lost some of their HS years, what’s a few more in college?

So while I don’t wish these ladies ill, I will not root for them either.
Very much agree on this one. There’s always the conversation about the girls who lost time in college to Covid, but these transfers are on their 6th or 7th year of school in Denver’s case, so I’d say they’ve done enough time in school. Freshman come in this year looking at teams with multiple freshman and sophomore redshirts as well as many undergraduate and graduate transfers, and can’t help but feel hopeless. It’s not fair in the slightest, and is harder for the incoming freshman than it is for the graduating seniors who get to draft themselves on whatever D1 team will pick them up. It’s an unfortunate situation, but of course the blame goes on the current culture of bringing in transfers over developing a team and the blame goes on coaches rather than individual players.
OuttaNowhereWregget

HailMaryPass wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:36 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:58 pm
Has to be Clemson
To be more clear, I meant the school with the most athletes to leave. Is there a pattern of a big name school with many players leaving every year?
I'm sure players leave every year from the top five-ish ranked schools, but Maryland does seem to have a few leaving every year since 2019. I don't know if there are stats kept for that but it would be intriguing to track. This year, for the ones I've heard – Maryland and Carolina lost 3 transfers each, Northwestern 2. BC and Syracuse 1. You can get a better idea by scrolling above for the list of '23 transfers post.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Goaltender Aislinn Washburn transfers to Gardner-Webb from Wofford for grad year.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

JMO but I’d consider losing just 1-3 players a year a pretty good retention rate - especially if the transfers are grad transfers or players who rarely got any PT.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:30 pm JMO but I’d consider losing just 1-3 players a year a pretty good retention rate - especially if the transfers are grad transfers or players who rarely got any PT.
Yeah--that's a good point.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Former Denver goaltender grad Victoria Macres transfers to Cincinnati.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Wasn't quite sure where to post this.. DPOY Thacker returning to Denver

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -to-denver
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

NULax2 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:05 pm Wasn't quite sure where to post this.. DPOY Thacker returning to Denver

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -to-denver
That is huge news and a gamechanger for Denver. I still think they struggle to repeat last years success. But she is the straw that stirs their zone defense and her returning for a 5th year is a big deal in women’s lacrosse.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”