Just to talk

General Chatter
luckypenguin

Just to talk

Post by luckypenguin »

Where do people talk most often nowadays? Agree that face-to-face communication has taken a back seat. But it's even possible to correspond on different platforms. Where do you most often get acquainted, communicate? Is it realistic to find real friends on a forum?
Farfromgeneva

Re: Just to talk

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Curious what inspired this.

Everyone’s different I suppose. I figure if you invest and make an effort to continue, share and pay attention in most any setting that it just sort of happens. Don’t think that’s different whether in a bar, church, kids sporting events, AA meetings, the metaverse or onlyfans. As an aging Luddite Id suggest what makes it harder is the immediacy and speed of digital platforms and communities which devalues depth and meaningful interaction. The idea that facebook is a community is a joke. I sometimes see a notification for a friend or family members birthday that reminds me but skip the self indulgent step of wishing them it on that site and at least send a personal text message if not call. Not sure generations below me would think much of that or make any distinction.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
luckypenguin

Post by luckypenguin »

I completely agree Today, even when we receive a notification in gb whatsapp, we do not immediately respond, and sometimes we completely forget to respond to it, feigning busyness. But after a while we begin to complain that our friends have forgotten us, invite us to meetings less often, and so on. And the thing is that everyone now lives in their own world and rarely wants to take the phone out of their hands and just talk. Although I'm not against messengers, it's very convenient.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Here yo go from axios

Why you should check in

Mike Allen
Mike Allen
Erica Pandey

Axios on facebook

Axios on twitter

Axios on linkedin

Axios on email
Illustration of a phone with the wire in the shape of a heart.
Illustration: Allie Carl/Axios
We way underestimate how much the simplest text or call means to our friends, family members and colleagues.

Why it matters: Casually and quickly checking in with the people in our lives is one of the easiest, but highest-impact actions we can take.

That's according to a new study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
Researchers asked study participants to check in with others in small ways — a text, a brief call, a short email — and then directed both sides of the interaction to rate how meaningful it was.

Those who reached out routinely underestimated how much their small act meant to the recipient.
And researchers found that the impact of the message increased with how surprising the check-in was. People we haven't spoken to in a while or with whom we aren't as close are even more grateful to hear from us.
Our thought bubble: Long life experience shows us it's impossible to be too attentive to friends, relatives or coworkers — to check in too often.

You think you know someone, then they make some radical life decision, and you realize you didn't know them as well as you thought you did.
Even with people you truly know, life happens fast. Life-changing health news, work change, family rupture — any of those could happen the minute you put the phone down.
Zoom out: All that was true even before COVID. But before, you'd see people at work or church, and you'd get a sense of their moods and how they were doing. Now, in many cases, you have zero idea how someone actually is, even if you're Zooming with them. You have to ask.

Action item: That makes the proactive, intentional check-in more vital than ever. A transactional text or Zoom doesn't work.

You have to ask: How are you? What's going on? What can I do? What are your pain points? What's the best thing that happened to you lately?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Good stuff, FFG. There is also the flipside....when you know someone so well, you can be separated for years upon years, and pick right back up where you left off.

In short, as Teddy said......"People do not care how much you know, until they know how much you care".
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

luckypenguin wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:05 am Where do people talk most often nowadays? Agree that face-to-face communication has taken a back seat. But it's even possible to correspond on different platforms. Where do you most often get acquainted, communicate? Is it realistic to find real friends on a forum?
Found this interesting data. Thought it kinda fit here.

But of note, "spending time" with people or "being alone" doesn't mean you're lonely, necessarily:

https://ourworldindata.org/time-with-ot ... ymunB7m1Mk
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone had gum graft surgery. Wife is having it this Friday on a few locations. Wondering what recovery is like.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone here familiar with Armagnac? Looking to venture out from whisk(e)y and I am intrigued.

Looking for some educational dialogue/recommendations.
~Livy
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:22 pm Anyone had gum graft surgery. Wife is having it this Friday on a few locations. Wondering what recovery is like.
Had it 3 weeks ago. Sounds like your wife had it 3 months ago. Sorry. Just seeing this...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Arshi

Post by Arshi »

luckypenguin wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:44 am I completely agree Today, even when we receive a notification in gb whatsapp, we do not immediately respond, and sometimes we completely forget to respond to it, feigning busyness. But after a while we begin to complain that our friends have forgotten us, invite us to meetings less often, and so on. And the thing is that everyone now lives in their own world and rarely wants to take the phone out of their hands and just talk. Although I'm not against messengers, it's very convenient.
I also use GB WhatsApp and am amazed by its great features. But I am not recommending to other people to use it, because it is not made by WhatsApp official.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Question: Anyone ever have dreams that include your laptop, computer, or Phone? I have asked dozens of people this question and the answer has be no, not one person?

Any ideas why?
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Because they don't smell real nice, have soft yet firm breasts or have nipples, and none of them are anything you'd really want to lick?
Just guessing.
Never dreamt about any of them (computers, phones, laptops) either.
thomascook

Post by thomascook »

Forums and other online social media sites are just mediums. But to be very honest, face-to-face talks have absolutely taken a back seat in this generation. Through social media applications, we are a bit more together still.
Youtube Vanced APK
DMac

Post by DMac »

You can find an awful stuff out there that is contradictory to what you
say. I don't believe that social media has brought us more together, quite
the opposite actually.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”