Coaching Carousel 2023 - D3

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Doxology

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D3

Post by Doxology »

Doxology wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:12 pm Marian will be announced next week.

Former D2 assistant who played D3 in Wisconsin.
https://sabreathletics.com/staff-direct ... partment/9
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:30 am Cortland will probably go with a current head coach, regardless of level, that being said, other than a few lower level D1 coaches, possible names to consider;

Cavanagh (West Conn)
Chamberlain (Farmingdale)
Childs (St. Mary's)
Cutia (former assistant)
Colfer (former Cabrini HC)
Fiorentino (former assistant/former Geneseo Head Coach)
Gartleman (Frostburg)
Hofmeister (Scranton)
Iannucci (OWU)
Jez (Post)
Lockner (Alfred)
Mariano (Pace)
Martin (Hartford)
Misiaszek (Poly)
Nelson (Pfeiffer)
Novotny (Seton Hill)
Nye (Homer HS)
Plantholdt (OWU)
Rautenstrauch (John Carroll)
Stocks (UINDY)
Tousaw (OCC)
Zulaf (Stockton)
Fiorentino would be excellent. Cavanagh built a helluva team in Plattsburgh, but would he want to return to SUNY coaching after jumping to West Conn?

I'd love to see Cortland go with someone young. Maybe find another Drew Bezek. When I look at the upstate coaches recruiting against Cortland (Dobbins and Bezek come to mind), they were beating Beville left and right.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

dp68 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:56 pm
Fiorentino would be excellent. Cavanagh built a helluva team in Plattsburgh, but would he want to return to SUNY coaching after jumping to West Conn?

I'd love to see Cortland go with someone young. Maybe find another Drew Bezek. When I look at the upstate coaches recruiting against Cortland (Dobbins and Bezek come to mind), they were beating Beville left and right.
I'd never say never, as this is "the" job in the SUNYAC, but Cavanaugh and his family seem quite happy where they are at West Conn off the field, while they have progressed and taken great steps each year, culminating with a trip to NCAAs this year and a first round win on the field.

I will respectfully disagree about Bezek and Dobbins. Dobbins is essentially recruiting a different type of player to Fisher than Cortland is (Red Dragons did beat Fisher this year and 2 out of the 3 times Beville and Dobbins have played). Same is definitely true of Bezek and the type of players he is bringing to Geneseo. Cortland (IMO) was the more athletic and talented team when they stepped on the field this past year against Geneseo. The Knights were prepared better and coached better (credit to Bezek) and definitely wanted it more. Those two games they lost last year by a total of 6 goals (1 goal in the SUNYAC championship) turned into two games they won this year beating Cortland by six goals in each.

Beville is a good coach and deserves his flowers. That being said, it was time for a change. The name (Cortland) can still bring in a ton of talent with their history, alumni base, campus etc. That talent still has to be coached up and the Red Dragons can't seem like they are going through the motions while they are out there. Hopefully this new hire can light that fire and get them back on track.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:52 am
dp68 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:56 pm

I'd never say never, as this is "the" job in the SUNYAC, but Cavanaugh and his family seem quite happy where they are at West Conn off the field, while they have progressed and taken great steps each year, culminating with a trip to NCAAs this year and a first round win on the field.

I will respectfully disagree about Bezek and Dobbins. Dobbins is essentially recruiting a different type of player to Fisher than Cortland is (Red Dragons did beat Fisher this year and 2 out of the 3 times Beville and Dobbins have played). Same is definitely true of Bezek and the type of players he is bringing to Geneseo. Cortland (IMO) was the more athletic and talented team when they stepped on the field this past year against Geneseo. The Knights were prepared better and coached better (credit to Bezek) and definitely wanted it more. Those two games they lost last year by a total of 6 goals (1 goal in the SUNYAC championship) turned into two games they won this year beating Cortland by six goals in each.

Beville is a good coach and deserves his flowers. That being said, it was time for a change. The name (Cortland) can still bring in a ton of talent with their history, alumni base, campus etc. That talent still has to be coached up and the Red Dragons can't seem like they are going through the motions while they are out there. Hopefully this new hire can light that fire and get them back on track.
Does anyone have any insights about where they are in their search process?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Has the Cortland job always been FT 9.5 months? I would think it was formerly FT 12 months.
Leonard Washington

River Donkey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:19 am Has the Cortland job always been FT 9.5 months? I would think it was formerly FT 12 months.
Just verbiage as a number of SUNY coaching jobs are listed as (up to) 10 month contracts, but will be paid out for 12.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:16 pm
River Donkey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:19 am Has the Cortland job always been FT 9.5 months? I would think it was formerly FT 12 months.
Just verbiage as a number of SUNY coaching jobs are listed as (up to) 10 month contracts, but will be paid out for 12.
Ok, thanks. The advertisement on HR website has it at FT 9.5 months and salary range in the 30’s. I was thinking Cortland was following Brockport and the other SUNY’s with reducing coaches compensation.
Leonard Washington

River Donkey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:23 pm Ok, thanks. The advertisement on HR website has it at FT 9.5 months and salary range in the 30’s. I was thinking Cortland was following Brockport and the other SUNY’s with reducing coaches compensation.
Compensation will be in the 40k-50k range, depending on the hire.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:51 pm
River Donkey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:23 pm Ok, thanks. The advertisement on HR website has it at FT 9.5 months and salary range in the 30’s. I was thinking Cortland was following Brockport and the other SUNY’s with reducing coaches compensation.
Compensation will be in the 40k-50k range, depending on the hire.
Budget Title HEAD COACH
Campus Title HEAD COACH, Men's Lacrosse
School/Division Student Affairs, Division of
Department Athletics
Staff Sub-Type Coaching
Salary Level SL4
Salary Range Mid 60's - low 70's
Position Effort Full-Time

This was copied and pasted from the SUNY Cortland Employment site. The SL4 can be either a 9.5 month appointment or a 12 month appointment.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Has anyone heard anything about Colby? On Coda Tracker it says Colby opened yesterday but there’s no links… no Press release.. no job positing..? It seems a bit odd this close to school starting, and announcing your assistant just got a promotion.
Leonard Washington

StuckinD2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:36 pm Has anyone heard anything about Colby? On Coda Tracker it says Colby opened yesterday but there’s no links… no Press release.. no job positing..? It seems a bit odd this close to school starting, and announcing your assistant just got a promotion.
NESCAC thread has some info on it
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

Didn't know Morrisville was open but the Interim tag has been removed: https://morrisvillemustangs.com/news/20 ... coach.aspx

Current Openings:

Allegheny (PA)
Colby (ME)
Concordia-Chicago (IL)
Heidelberg (OH)
SUNY-Cortland (NY)
Vermont State (VT)

Filled:

Alma (MI) - Zach Cameron, Kalamazoo AC
Augustana (IL) - Jon Paul, St. Ambrose (NAIA) HC
Averett (VA) - Bryan Habick, St. Andrews (NAIA) HC
Birmingham Southern (AL) - Carson Sterling, Birmingham Southern AC
Catholic (DC) - Peter Donley, Roanoke AC
Eastern Connecticut St. (CT) - Craig Gibson, Fairfield (NCAA D1) AHC
Eastern (PA) - Colin Piper (Interim Currently), Eastern AC
Haverford (PA) - Richard Carrington, Amherst AC
Immaculata (PA) - Will Pilat, Wesleyan AHC
Ithaca (NY) - Tommy Pearce, Allegheny HC
Keuka (NY) - Ty Trombley, Keuka Interim HC
Lawrence (WI-2025) - Michael Zadorga, Davis and Elkins (NCAA D2) HC
Lycoming (PA) - Tony Mackin, Averett HC
Marian (WI) - Gabe Pearlman, Frostburg State (NCAA D2) GA
Methodist (NC) - Ryan McKay, Piedmont AHC
Mount Saint Joseph (OH) - Colin McSharar, Anderson (WLAX) HC
Muskingum (OH) - Michael Jablonski, Muskingum AC
Pitt-Bradford (PA-2025) - Scott Gwyn, Concordia-Chicago HC
SUNY-Morrisville (NY) - Chris Cooper, SUNY-Morrisville Interim HC
Thiel (PA) - Alex Skvarch, Walsh (NCAA D2) HC
Wells (NY) - Harold Pallone III, Webber International (NAIA) GA
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

Leonard Washington

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:37 am Does anyone have any insights about where they are in their search process?
Announcement coming soon
stickman

Post by stickman »

Leonard Washington wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:21 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:37 am Does anyone have any insights about where they are in their search process?
Announcement coming soon
Any breadcrumbs? Asking for a friend..
Leonard Washington

stickman wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:12 pm
Announcement coming soon
Current DIII Head Coach of a program in the Northeast :lol:

Not including states in New England 8-)
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Joe Martin would be a great pick for Colby....
stickman

Post by stickman »

Leonard Washington wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:48 pm
stickman wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:12 pm
Announcement coming soon
Current DIII Head Coach of a program in the Northeast :lol:

Not including states in New England 8-)
Haha...appreciate the geography lesson ;)
Announcement of said existing D3 coach from NY, NJ or PA supposed to be coming Thurs.
Leonard Washington

stickman wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:57 am Haha...appreciate the geography lesson ;)
Announcement of said existing D3 coach from NY, NJ or PA supposed to be coming Thurs.
My pleasure :mrgreen:

And you can eliminate NJ from your previous post. :D

For Cortland's sake I hope it is PA and not NY :lol:
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

I'd be surprised for it to be plunket with Muhlenberg on the come up and Blak Widow being very successful, but I think he & his wife are CNY natives - coaching life is a lot easier to navigate when 2 sets of grandparents are around to help with childcare.

If indeed it is the Muhlenberg HC, the carousel will certainly continue to spin about through the fall....

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”