D1 Womens Lacrosse
LuvLax

IWLCA Academic Honor Roll

Post by LuvLax »

LaxDadMax

Re: IWLCA Academic Honor Roll

Post by LaxDadMax »

Those majors at Northwestern and Syracuse. smh

Probably the biggest sacrifice of playing big time lacrosse.

Credit to AWW for letting her players take some meatier classes.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's a helluva thing to say, Mr. Elitist.
What majors meet your non smh list?
AWW lets her players take some meatier
courses and those at Northwestern and Cuse don't?
C'mon!!!
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

DMac wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:15 pm That's a helluva thing to say, Mr. Elitist.
C'mon!!!
If you have ever been recruited by KAH, this comes up in first ten minutes of the first call. Any type of science, pre-business, math or engineering is not allowed. You are pushed into communications, sociology or Learning Org Change. Look at their entire roster. Find someone of it with a difficult major.

And if you don't think coaches approve the classes and majors that her players take, then you are new to big time athletics.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:31 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:15 pm That's a helluva thing to say, Mr. Elitist.
C'mon!!!
If you have ever been recruited by KAH, this comes up in first ten minutes of the first call. Any type of science, pre-business, math or engineering is not allowed. You are pushed into communications, sociology or Learning Org Change. Look at their entire roster. Find someone of it with a difficult major.

And if you don't think coaches approve the classes and majors that her players take, then you are new to big time athletics.
This is true. Though I don't see much difference in the BC list than the 2 you threw under the bus.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

hmmm wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:34 pm
C'mon!!!

This is true. Though I don't see much difference in the BC list than the 2 you threw under the bus.
Psychology, Management (Business) and Healthcare Admin are all more difficult and time intensive majors. I know for a fact none would be allowed (at least undergrad) at Northwestern.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:36 pm
C'mon!!!

Psychology, Management (Business) and Healthcare Admin are all more difficult and time intensive majors. I know for a fact none would be allowed (at least undergrad) at Northwestern.
Not going to spend a lot of time looking into your claim but know for a fact that Madison Doucette majored in Biomedical Engineering at Northwestern. Doesn't seem like an easy major to me.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

hmmm wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:44 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:36 pm
C'mon!!!

Not going to spend a lot of time looking into your claim but know for a fact that Madison Doucette majored in Biomedical Engineering at Northwestern. Doesn't seem like an easy major to me.
Actually, no. She wasn't allowed to do BME. She instead did a "build your own major" at Northwestern, Integrated Engineering Studies. To your point, maybe harder than other majors on the team. But definitely not the rigor of Biomedical Engineering.

https://design.northwestern.edu/enginee ... dison.html
DMac

Post by DMac »

C'mon!!!

Couldn't care less about any of this, what you've done is belittle the athletes who don't meet your non smh standards for a major. Not good enough for you (which I'm sure they couldn't care less about). Surely the parents of these girls don't mind your saying that, right (and just like you, some of them are reading this stuff)?
Those AAs AWW brought in meet your curriculum standards?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

C'mon!!!

Here again, on brand.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

C'mon!!!

I hate that. I understand the importance of being committed to the team and I’m all for it, but not in this way. These young women are ultimately going to school for a degree for the rest of their lives. Yes they are lacrosse players, but at their death bed they will be known as lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. not lacrosse players. Their careers and life goals are way more important than 4 years of collegiate lacrosse. Very selfish and immature of any coach that makes recruits chose between a lacrosse and a major
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

user1020 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:02 pm
C'mon!!!

I hate that. I understand the importance of being committed to the team and I’m all for it, but not in this way. These young women are ultimately going to school for a degree for the rest of their lives. Yes they are lacrosse players, but at their death bed they will be known as lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. not lacrosse players. Their careers and life goals are way more important than 4 years of collegiate lacrosse. Very selfish and immature of any coach that makes recruits chose between a lacrosse and a major
Okay, but let's not forget that these young women are also actively making their own choices here.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Hilarious, I saw one student's major "Interior Design." LOL
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

“Our team motto was Cs get degrees” —- former northwestern player and current D1 head coach

But as another posted pointed out, players have agency in their choice of school and academic goals.
Bart

Post by Bart »

C'mon!!!

Selfish? Immature? Why? If the coach is being upfront like other posters have indicated then IMO there is no issue. Suzie superstar has over 120 other schools to look into that meet her academic and athletic needs if this one does not.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:39 pm Hilarious, I saw one student's major "Interior Design." LOL
Snoot in the air.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBCUkdd57qc&t=30s
njbill

Post by njbill »

Bart wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:27 am
C'mon!!!

Selfish? Immature? Why? If the coach is being upfront like other posters have indicated then IMO there is no issue. Suzie superstar has over 120 other schools to look into that meet her academic and athletic needs if this one does not.
I wouldn’t say selfish or immature, but it is wrong for college coaches to put the priority of their programs over the students’ academic demands. Wrong, though very common, unfortunately. Not all coaches act that way. Some, believe it or not, rearrange practices to accommodate players’ academic obligations.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:14 am
Bart wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:27 am
C'mon!!!

I wouldn’t say selfish or immature, but it is wrong for college coaches to put the priority of their programs over the students’ academic demands. Wrong, though very common, unfortunately. Not all coaches act that way. Some, believe it or not, rearrange practices to accommodate players’ academic obligations.
Wrong? IDK NJB, I was speaking about KAH and the comment that she makes it clear early on in the recruiting what she expects from the academic side of things. I do not see that as wrong. It is part of the "contract" (for lack of a better word) a player commits to if she wants to play at Northwestern. I see it different than a "bait and switch" of academic priorities that I think you are alluding to.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I didn’t say bait and switch. Not sure where you got that from my post. It may be true that she is upfront during the recruiting process about her demands. My point is that it is wrong for college coaches to prioritize their programs over students’ academic needs. The players miss enough class time as it is because of games and travel. She certainly isn’t the only one who operates her program this way, and I don’t mean to be singling her out. In fact, I blame the schools perhaps even more than the coaches. They shouldn’t permit their coaches to operate as they do. The women are going to college to get an education first. Sports should be second. Yes, I know, I am a dinosaur in this regard.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

ultravisitor wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:57 pm
C'mon!!!

Okay, but let's not forget that these young women are also actively making their own choices here.
Completely aware of that and this is not something I’m very passionate about. Just something that rubs me the wrong way a little bit. However, I can understand the desire for commitment

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”