Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
mdk01

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by mdk01 »

BrownDad wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:18 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:39 am True walk-ons, not many at all. Preferred walk-ons, meaning no athletic aid but help with admission and a spot on the team, several on most teams would be my guess
My guess would be that a good portion of each team comes from preferred walk-ons. I believe each D1 team is allowed 12.5 full scholarships (someone with more knowledge please feel free to correct me) and with most teams having at least 45 players that leaves a lot of kids without athletic aid. A lot of D1 sports are like this but lacrosse has by far more athletes than most other sports (football aside).
You're within 1 on the scholarship limit. And even with splitting some of them to half scholarships I don't think you can go over 20 players seeing at least some scholarship money. The better question is how many "unpreferred" walk-ons.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

mdk01 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:16 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:39 am True walk-ons, not many at all. Preferred walk-ons, meaning no athletic aid but help with admission and a spot on the team, several on most teams would be my guess
My guess would be that a good portion of each team comes from preferred walk-ons. I believe each D1 team is allowed 12.5 full scholarships (someone with more knowledge please feel free to correct me) and with most teams having at least 45 players that leaves a lot of kids without athletic aid. A lot of D1 sports are like this but lacrosse has by far more athletes than most other sports (football aside).
You're within 1 on the scholarship limit. And even with splitting some of them to half scholarships I don't think you can go over 20 players seeing at least some scholarship money. The better question is how many "unpreferred" walk-ons.
it's 12 6 scholarships for men and acually you can give $$ to everyone on the roster if you want to.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:35 pm
it's 12 6 scholarships for men and acually you can give $$ to everyone on the roster if you want to.
Right 12.6 is just the numerator. NLI ruling may change how it impacts merit aid but it’s just an allocation exercise in how to utilize resources.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

https://goduke.com/news/2023/7/20/mens- ... oster.aspx

"Arguably the most unique addition to Duke's roster is Henry White. A native of Richmond, Va., White attended Army West Point, graduating in 2017. He recently finished his six-year service and returns to the lacrosse field and classroom. He is married to former Duke women's lacrosse player and track athlete Callie Francis."

Duke's bringing in some veteran leadership... literally.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:29 pm https://goduke.com/news/2023/7/20/mens- ... oster.aspx

"Arguably the most unique addition to Duke's roster is Henry White. A native of Richmond, Va., White attended Army West Point, graduating in 2017. He recently finished his six-year service and returns to the lacrosse field and classroom. He is married to former Duke women's lacrosse player and track athlete Callie Francis."

15 into Fuqua. Tell me that doesn't help in the transfer portal wars.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm a little confused by some folks' use of terminology on here re "walk-ons".

As far as I've ever understood, walk-ons have zippo to do with $.

Note, the Ivies and service academies don't do ANY athletic aid. None.

SA's of course are free, and Ivies have generous need-based financial aid but there is NO advantage for athletes in whether such is provided. So...they don't use the 12.6 limit from the NCAA.

The difference between a recruit and a walk-on is that the recruit received admission support from the coach, a walk-on did not.

Each school allocates whatever number of admission support slots it wishes to each sport, subject to Title IX balance restrictions, and subject to any academic targets that particular school sets, and/or, as is the case of Ivies, also subject the overall AI of the Ivy League for the totality of all athletes. An Ivy AD may agree to differing targets, averages and limits by sport within their full athlete pool.

Walk-ons, who did not receive any admission support, do typically contribute to the team making their AI goals, so if that's a matter of emphasis for a school, as it is for Ivy schools (other schools may or may not have such emphasis and targets), a walk-on may be valuable beyond their capacity to help at practice or game time.However, hopefully both on and off the field!

But because some programs have limits on roster sizes, whether due to overall budgetary pressures, facilities, or Title IX, walk-ons are atypical, not the norm. Maybe one or two per team or per class...more is rare.

Most players were recruited, received admission support in return for their commitment. They may or may not be allocated a slice of the 12.6 dough, if the school utilizes such as per NCAA limits. All are eligible, but obviously coaches use it to land the players they want...this is unlike football where all or many are full ride. 85 limit for FBS. FCS 63.

So, when someone says they are a "preferred walk-on" it means the coach has a specific invite to the player to come to tryouts with an assumed roster spot should they get admitted without support. My son was offered that at one prominent Ivy. He went to another that assured him an admissions slot, and which had been his #1 anyway for two years, but it was interesting to hear that from the coach...the coach saying "preferred walk-on" felt he had enough goalies on the roster and would skip in his class, but would have been happy to have him. As it turned out later my son was better than any he had on his roster, but that's a judgment call made based on what he knew at the time and fair enough. I liked the transparency.

What it meant for that program was that the coach was able to invest his slot in another position athlete.

But there can be other walk-ons if the coach is open to others coming to early fall practices. The coach may have known who they were, but hadn't assured them they'd definitely land a roster spot if they showed up and otherwise ready to go...needed to tryout and earn it.

Lars Tiffany rather famously held open tryouts his first year (may still do so) as he was shaking up the culture, the status quo, when he arrived at UVA.

But once you're settled down, very few walk-ons make it. But yes, sometimes a coach reaches into the club program when in need of a specific position player, like a goalie. Unusual, but happens.

If I have any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

mdk01 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:08 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:29 pm https://goduke.com/news/2023/7/20/mens- ... oster.aspx

15 into Fuqua. Tell me that doesn't help in the transfer portal wars.
Masters in Management Studies is basically a made up degree at many schools for revenue or other purposes. If it helps a kid great but it’s like many UPenn undergrads that often like to throw out Wharton and hope people assume MBA program-have to look deeper.

Besides Fuqua does just fine with it’s Asian students who don’t actually take the gmat themselves.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Wharton undergrad is a real thing.

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:35 pm
Every athlete at Rutgers gets money outside of their scholarship and individual NIL via Alston Funding. The amount varies from sport to sport but everyone is getting something. I would be very surprised if this wasn't happening at other universities, as well.

https://www.jmco.com/articles/collegiat ... versities/
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:24 pm
So, when someone says they are a "preferred walk-on" it means the coach has a specific invite to the player to come to tryouts with an assumed roster spot should they get admitted without support. My son was offered that at one prominent Ivy. He went to another that assured him an admissions slot, and which had been his #1 anyway for two years, but it was interesting to hear that from the coach...the coach saying "preferred walk-on" felt he had enough goalies on the roster and would skip in his class, but would have been happy to have him. As it turned out later my son was better than any he had on his roster, but that's a judgment call made based on what he knew at the time and fair enough. I liked the transparency.

Was he better than any other goalie on this “prominent ivy’s” roster? Your son only started for one year and the team went 6-6 and didn’t make the Ivy League tournament. I’m guessing that the prominent Ivy made the tournament that year. Let’s not pretend like he had a Jack Kelly like career.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:37 pm Wharton undergrad is a real thing.
Yes in the sense the business school covers undergrad and MBA, but if you’ve been around the context it’s used by some it’s not the same at all as the MBA program but intended to be conveyed as the same by a number which is pretty dishonest if not as bad as the Harvard leadership or executive programs folks like to use at the top of the list of educational institutions. It’s designed to signal something more than it is by omission or intentional opacity by a number of folks I’ve met over the years.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigTom5 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:08 pm

Was he better than any other goalie on this “prominent ivy’s” roster? Your son only started for one year and the team went 6-6 and didn’t make the Ivy League tournament. I’m guessing that the prominent Ivy made the tournament that year. Let’s not pretend like he had a Jack Kelly like career.
Damn I hope you don’t have kids because you’re asking for some gross and nasty reciprocation. I can be a massive d**k and wouldn’t go there like this.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Yes, that was a better team, though they did lose to my son’s team that year. And of course he didn’t have a jack Kelly career, who did? Just saying that none of his tenders had a better saves %, that year or any of those 4 years. Point was only that it is a call the coach made and he made a heck of a lot of good recruiting decisions and it may well have been the right one for his team… certainly can’t argue with the results.

Just an example of how a “preferred walk-on” works.

Btw, the 2 times he matched vs Kelly he was 54.8% to Kelly’s 50% and 63.3% to 52.8%. And those were some super Brown teams. I’m a big fan of Kelly’s game. Love his outlets.

I’d never claim my son was better than Kelly!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:57 pm

Yes, that was a better team, though they did lose to my son’s team that year. And of course he didn’t have a jack Kelly career, who did? Just saying that none of his tenders had a better saves %, that year or any of those 4 years. Point was only that it is a call the coach made and he made a heck of a lot of good recruiting decisions and it may well have been the right one for his team… certainly can’t argue with the results.

Btw, the 2 times he matched vs Kelly he was 54.8% to Kelly’s 50% and 63.3% to 52.8%. And those were some super Brown teams. I’m a big fan of Kelly’s game. Love his outlets.

Just a suggestion, but it isn’t a great look to constantly talk about your own family members exploits as great as they might be.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:24 pm I'm a little confused by some folks' use of terminology on here re "walk-ons".

SA's of course are free, and Ivies have generous need-based financial aid but there is NO advantage for athletes in whether such is provided. So...they don't use the 12.6 limit from the NCAA.

The difference between a recruit and a walk-on is that the recruit received admission support from the coach, a walk-on did not.

Each school allocates whatever number of admission support slots it wishes to each sport, subject to Title IX balance restrictions, and subject to any academic targets that particular school sets, and/or, as is the case of Ivies, also subject the overall AI of the Ivy League for the totality of all athletes. An Ivy AD may agree to differing targets, averages and limits by sport within their full athlete pool.

Walk-ons, who did not receive any admission support, do typically contribute to the team making their AI goals, so if that's a matter of emphasis for a school, as it is for Ivy schools (other schools may or may not have such emphasis and targets), a walk-on may be valuable beyond their capacity to help at practice or game time.However, hopefully both on and off the field!

But because some programs have limits on roster sizes, whether due to overall budgetary pressures, facilities, or Title IX, walk-ons are atypical, not the norm. Maybe one or two per team or per class...more is rare.

Most players were recruited, received admission support in return for their commitment. They may or may not be allocated a slice of the 12.6 dough, if the school utilizes such as per NCAA limits. All are eligible, but obviously coaches use it to land the players they want...this is unlike football where all or many are full ride. 85 limit for FBS. FCS 63.

What it meant for that program was that the coach was able to invest his slot in another position athlete.

But there can be other walk-ons if the coach is open to others coming to early fall practices. The coach may have known who they were, but hadn't assured them they'd definitely land a roster spot if they showed up and otherwise ready to go...needed to tryout and earn it.

Lars Tiffany rather famously held open tryouts his first year (may still do so) as he was shaking up the culture, the status quo, when he arrived at UVA.

But once you're settled down, very few walk-ons make it. But yes, sometimes a coach reaches into the club program when in need of a specific position player, like a goalie. Unusual, but happens.

The service academies are 100% scholarship or whatever you want to call it ffs.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

blue angels wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:16 pm

Just a suggestion, but it isn’t a great look to constantly talk about your own family members exploits as great as they might be.
Bingo
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

hmmm, just responding to an insult. The point is just that a preferred walk-on process can be a way for a coach to get a kid he'd like to have, but without using a slot, which is a limited resource. But it doesn't help with admissions. The coach made a perfectly valid recruiting choice to prioritize another position. Very successful coach!

But hey, if I want to talk about a family member's "exploits" that were "great" it'd be my UVA 3X AA, NC father... ;)
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:53 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:24 pm I'm a little confused by some folks' use of terminology on here re "walk-ons".

The service academies are 100% scholarship or whatever you want to call it ffs.
Which is what I said, see bold above...did I get anything else wrong?
Seriously, no issue if I did, I get things wrong all the time...I was just trying to lay it out comprehensively as people were using terms in a confusing way.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

as it was explained to me by a coach -
A "preferred" walk on is promised a roster spot freshman year if he gains admissions on his own while a true walk on is given a tryout to make the team with no promises of a roster spot. The other walk ons would be out of necessity and raiding the club team, usually a goalie.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:18 am

hmmm, just responding to an insult. The point is just that a preferred walk-on process can be a way for a coach to get a kid he'd like to have, but without using a slot, which is a limited resource. But it doesn't help with admissions. The coach made a perfectly valid recruiting choice to prioritize another position. Very successful coach!

But hey, if I want to talk about a family member's "exploits" that were "great" it'd be my UVA 3X AA, NC father... ;)
And you certainly have more than once in the past because we all know it. It's a message board, do what you want. just don't want you to be thought a bore but maybe you don't care.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”