~Salisbury 2023~

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ah23

Re: ~Salisbury 2023~

Post by ah23 »

MrLax2U wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:39 pm I noticed Boyden and Kohn from Tufts are in the transfer portal. Kohn (FOGO) apparently going to Syracuse and Boyden, I believe D 3 POY, undeclared.

Is Berkman or one of the Gull Asst. Coaches permitted to call these fellows and pitch a year playing for the Gulls? Not sure about their academic interests but Salisbury U. is a decent school and definitely on the upswing.
I know we all follow these schools because of sports, but ultimately what someone does in four (or five...or six...) years on the field is secondary to what they're able to get out of their degree/degrees. So in short...zero chance.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Boyden going to Salisbury would be the D3 lax version of Kevin Durant to the Warriors Lol. Can't beat them then join them :lol:

In all seriousness, There is a zero percent chance he goes to Salisbury. I have heard he has an offer from a handful of top 10 D1 schools and wants to compete for a D1 National Championship. My guess would be UVA, Hopkins, or Cuse. Whichever program snatches him up will be very lucky as he is one of the best finishers in the country.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Three excellent universities. We wish him well as he continues his college lax career.
It would be nice to see him compete for a D 1 NC.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

ah23 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:40 pm
MrLax2U wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:39 pm I noticed Boyden and Kohn from Tufts are in the transfer portal. Kohn (FOGO) apparently going to Syracuse and Boyden, I believe D 3 POY, undeclared.

Is Berkman or one of the Gull Asst. Coaches permitted to call these fellows and pitch a year playing for the Gulls? Not sure about their academic interests but Salisbury U. is a decent school and definitely on the upswing.
I know we all follow these schools because of sports, but ultimately what someone does in four (or five...or six...) years on the field is secondary to what they're able to get out of their degree/degrees. So in short...zero chance.
Surely the guaranteed boardroom seat and innumerable wealth every NESCAC degree provides doesn’t diminish by taking a year to go and actually win a championship with a coach who doesn’t waste time as a part time social media influencer…
ah23

Post by ah23 »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:21 pm Surely the guaranteed boardroom seat and innumerable wealth every NESCAC degree provides doesn’t diminish by taking a year to go and actually win a championship with a coach who doesn’t waste time as a part time social media influencer…
It's not complicated, but go ahead and pitch a fit I guess. Salisbury and Tufts are one of a handful of teams (3? 4?) in their own group at the very top of D-III lacrosse. There is basically zero chance that any player would transfer between any of them, especially when academics/grad programs come into play.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

There were some Stevenson/Salisbury player transitions back when Cantebene could still fake caring about anyone but himself and was running roughshod over the field.

But yeah, I mean, in reality they are too different institutionally to attract a player like that. UVA might be a really good fit. Boyden is such a phenomenal attackman. But sheesh, that Cavs rotation is gonna be tough to break into. Love the self confidence involved in making a decision like that. Hope he gets it done.

My earlier pound sand comment was just sour grapes over the situation at Cabrini, in reaction to the ivory tower argument presented.

Berkman seems to take on projects from D1 when the talent and fit make sense. And hell, his player development speaks for itself. Ever impressive.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Inside lacrosse on twitter reports that Cole Herbert, Calvert Hall product, who was at UNC, then Towson as a student, heading to Gull land.

valaxfan
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

About a week and a half ago I saw a tweet from a source I believe is pretty reputable that he "heard a D1 kid (Not from UNC and not Cole Herbert) is heading to Salisbury next year."

Since it was phrased the way it was, I didn't want to post anything. What's the etiquette for this?
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

With all of these transfers coming in and what they have coming back, it will be a disappointment if they don’t win again this upcoming year. Not that winning isn’t always the expectation for this program.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Who all is confirmed coming in so far? Seen Herbert and Chris wong from Hopkins
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:57 am Who all is confirmed coming in so far? Seen Herbert and Chris wong from Hopkins
From the D1 transfer board, they had two transfers coming from D1 to SU. Jake McCarthy (fogo Merrimack) and Reagan McNemar (grad transfer from Towson).
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Jknows wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:49 am
Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:57 am Who all is confirmed coming in so far? Seen Herbert and Chris wong from Hopkins
From the D1 transfer board, they had two transfers coming from D1 to SU. Jake McCarthy (fogo Merrimack) and Reagan McNemar (grad transfer from Towson).
Mcnemar is a huge snag… two year starter on close D for Towson. Excellent pick up
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Some potential context on how they ended up here (outside of whatever reason they are transferring)

Jake McCarthy (fogo Merrimack) - graduated from The Haverford School - Brendan Dawson connection
Reagan McNemar (grad transfer from Towson) - Mom and Dad are both graduates from SU. Brother is at Spalding(Md) where a former Sea Gull (Hockel) coaches.
Chris Wong (Hopkins) - eastern shore native who helps with a local (to Salisbury) club team that a few former Sea Gulls run
Cole Herbert (UNC/Towson) - MIAA connection w/current team (handful of MIAA guys + 2 old teammates)

hope it works out for these guys. Nice additions on paper.
James66

Post by James66 »

Great additions…any info on incoming ‘23 class? What will roster size be as Gulls look to defend title
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

James66 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:01 pm Great additions…any info on incoming ‘23 class? What will roster size be as Gulls look to defend title
The same as always 45-60. I remember asking Brandon Dawson's mom (West Chester East HS Product, Salisbury AA LSM circa 2004) about the fall and spring try out process and subsequent roster size. She, as a parent, felt like Coach Berkman was honest about the process, but it was still crazy to see the volume of players trying out, and the depth. I was not recruited by the Gulls, so I can't speak to it directly, but everyone seems to say the boys know what they are getting into in terms of internal competition. Love it.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

MVPiccoli wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:23 am
James66 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:01 pm Great additions…any info on incoming ‘23 class? What will roster size be as Gulls look to defend title
The same as always 45-60. I remember asking Brandon Dawson's mom (West Chester East HS Product, Salisbury AA LSM circa 2004) about the fall and spring try out process and subsequent roster size. She, as a parent, felt like Coach Berkman was honest about the process, but it was still crazy to see the volume of players trying out, and the depth. I was not recruited by the Gulls, so I can't speak to it directly, but everyone seems to say the boys know what they are getting into in terms of internal competition. Love it.
100% accurate. I was there for what felt like one of (if not) the largest fall ball tryouts. We used the turf field and the 2 grass practice fields behind Sea Gull Stadium. The sheer number of incoming freshmen and transfers (including myself) was pretty crazy. However and to MVPiccoli's point, we all kind of knew where we stood heading into tryouts. The first couple of practices were pretty telling for some guys that they might be in over their heads. A few walk-on surprises and a few guys that had some really nice Division 1 gear who had us all questioning how they even got there (if we are being honest). The pressure definitely got to some of the guys, but to this day I can tell you that was some of the most competitive practices I have ever been a part of. Guys (including returners) were fighting for their jobs. Even some guys with rings trying to stay on the roster.

At the end of the day, Coach lays out the expectations for each guy and that means telling some returners that they need to show up in the fall ready to play, otherwise they might not be on next year's team. I was fortunate that I was one of the guys who earned their spot early in the fall and had the rest of fall ball, maroon & gold game, and winter to just prepare for spring, while still trying to earn a starting spot. There were about a dozen guys or so who were still on the bubble entering the spring semester. Definitely felt for those guys as we got closer to our scrimmage vs. Duke. You can call it cutthroat, ruthless, whatever. We all knew what we were signing up for and it prepared us for the season and life after lacrosse.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Appreciate the first hand recap. I'm in tech sales. Well, pre-sales, which freaking no one outside of the profession understands. Anyway, that lesson of competing internally the right way (there are only so many starters!) in order to compete externally, is stupid valuable. People who figure that out thrive in my professional world.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ODACtionEmpire

Post by ODACtionEmpire »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:40 am Coach Berkman's Home caught fire: https://www.delmarvanow.com/picture-gal ... 111495007/
Must've been busy smokin' that Jumbo pack!!

In all seriousness, hope he and his family are ok. House fires are scary and unexpected
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

his team was too hot

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”