Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Rutgers is Leveraging Its Strengths

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:41 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:58 pm There are a lot of value judgments being made about Rutgers and Head Coach Brecht. Sure, 11 transfers is eye opening. Certainly not what I would ever want to see Johns Hopkins doing.

But Rutgers is not Johns Hopkins … or the Ivy League … or Notre Dame … or Virginia … or Duke.

I could easily imagine a highly sought-after HS recruit thinking that there are a few dozen Division I schools he would prefer to attend over Rutgers. Rutgers brings in good HS recruiting classes, but it is very unlikely that Rutgers could regularly compete for (much less win) a national championship without major acquisitions through the transfer portal.

Rutgers is clearly in a stronger position in the transfer wars than it is with respect to HS recruiting. First, many schools will not accept many transfer lacrosse players. Other top schools, for example some in the Ivy League, do not accept lacrosse transfers at all (or rarely do). On the other hand, Rutgers under Coach Brecht accepts large transfer classes, and Rutgers probably doesn’t have the same academic hurdles that a Johns Hopkins or Notre Dame does.

If, then, Rutgers is in a relatively stronger competitive position in the transfer market than it is in the HS recruiting pool, why shouldn’t Coach Brecht leverage that strength in the transfer market to make his team more competitive for national championships?

I would even say that Rutgers has virtually no chance of ever winning a national championship without bringing in substantial transfer classes.

In regularly bringing in large, talented transfer classes, Coach Brecht is simply doing his job. Rutgers cannot, and should not, be expected to recruit its talent in the same way as programs that are more competitive for HS recruits.

Enough of the judgmental comments … Brecht is doing what he needs to do at Rutgers.

DocBarrister
so after a bunch of judgmental comments about rutgers, you demand there are no more judgmental posts about rutgers. got it.

there is this: if you told me i could parachute in to any acc/b1g/ivy school in the country and needed to pull 6 top/playable recruits per class out of 3,900 schools to recruit from? + canada? i would take that challenge.
Is anything I said there wrong?

Coach Brecht is acknowledging the realities at Rutgers at doing what he must to keep Rutgers competitive in the top tier of Division I lacrosse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Sportin' Life

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by Sportin' Life »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:23 am :D
Just to be clear, Dartmouth has never taken a transfer lax player. At least not in the past 5 decades.
Colin Niehaus transferred to Dartmouth after attending Amherst and as a freshman in the '19 - '20 school year. He appears to have reclassed when he did so as he is currently a rising senior.

https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/mens ... haus/36535

https://athletics.amherst.edu/sports/me ... haus/13326
Finish Strong
lorin

Post by lorin »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:05 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:58 pm There are a lot of value judgments being made about Rutgers and Head Coach Brecht. Sure, 11 transfers is eye opening. Certainly not what I would ever want to see Johns Hopkins doing.

But Rutgers is not Johns Hopkins … or the Ivy League … or Notre Dame … or Virginia … or Duke.

I could easily imagine a highly sought-after HS recruit thinking that there are a few dozen Division I schools he would prefer to attend over Rutgers. Rutgers brings in good HS recruiting classes, but it is very unlikely that Rutgers could regularly compete for (much less win) a national championship without major acquisitions through the transfer portal.

Rutgers is clearly in a stronger position in the transfer wars than it is with respect to HS recruiting. First, many schools will not accept many transfer lacrosse players. Other top schools, for example some in the Ivy League, do not accept lacrosse transfers at all (or rarely do). On the other hand, Rutgers under Coach Brecht accepts large transfer classes, and Rutgers probably doesn’t have the same academic hurdles that a Johns Hopkins or Notre Dame does.

If, then, Rutgers is in a relatively stronger competitive position in the transfer market than it is in the HS recruiting pool, why shouldn’t Coach Brecht leverage that strength in the transfer market to make his team more competitive for national championships?

I would even say that Rutgers has virtually no chance of ever winning a national championship without bringing in substantial transfer classes.

In regularly bringing in large, talented transfer classes, Coach Brecht is simply doing his job. Rutgers cannot, and should not, be expected to recruit its talent in the same way as programs that are more competitive for HS recruits.

Enough of the judgmental comments … Brecht is doing what he needs to do at Rutgers.

DocBarrister
so after a bunch of judgmental comments about rutgers, you demand there are no more judgmental posts about rutgers. got it.

there is this: if you told me i could parachute in to any acc/b1g/ivy school in the country and needed to pull 6 top/playable recruits per class out of 3,900 schools to recruit from? + canada? i would take that challenge.

Coach Brecht is acknowledging the realities at Rutgers at doing what he must to keep Rutgers competitive in the top tier of Division I lacrosse.

DocBarrister
We will judge all we want, Tranfer U is a joke feel bad for kids on that team that have no way out.

Post by 1766 »

The bullspit is starting to flow in this thread like the Colorado after a Spring thaw. A few relevant points of note.

- Brecht will have more high school recruited 4* on his 23 roster than at any other time in his tenure. By my count, 7.
- Prior to the portal being a thing and since Big Ten lacrosse creation, he had winning records against every team not named Maryland. Hopkins is 1 game over .500 against Rutgers since B1G play started.

All time?

- Rutgers is 9-1 against Michigan
- Rutgers is 14-3 all time against OSU
- Rutgers is 45-25 all time vs PSU

Everything else is noise. Brecht is doing what every coach is doing. Bringing in the most talent they can by all avenues they can. It says nothing about what he thinks of his existing players anymore than what Gary Gait is saying to his recruits by bringing in guys he thinks can help, Miliman or any other coach.

The only question is how much these transfers will help. The staff at Rutgers thinks a lot. So we will see.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I can understand why someone would be defensive about their school...but the logic of some posters defending this level of transfers lacks credibility. We get it, you support your program.

Trying to put on the hat of an avid Rutgers fan, I think I'd say that I really liked how well Rutgers has been able to compete despite some of the inherent challenges faced in attracting top recruits to Rutgers that most other top contending schools don't face. Doing more with less, scrapping and scraping, competing.

And if I truly cared, I'd say that the new scale of transfers is indeed concerning, as it's really not an experiment that has a track record of success...I'd acknowledge that it's not the same as adding 1-4 known super studs who will definitely find a way to have an impact no matter how strong the team is that they're joining. I might say 'fingers crossed' that it works...

As not such a fan, it seems to me that Rutgers may be a great place to go if you want to play against top talent and feel you were otherwise ignored by the schools that were your preferred choices, all else being equal. If you're right, you'll play; if not, not.

Particularly great if you are from NJ, so in-state. And if you were ignored early, but light it up once in college, an interesting place to transfer to as they clearly are open to such.

That said, as a parent, I'd be telling my kid to go to the best academic school available, play or don't play ball, at whatever level they compete. And if you do play, make your mark there. If you have a medical redshirt or other extra year and can't do it at your original chosen school, then look for the best academic experience for a grad year...

Only reason I'd be happy about to see my kid transfer would be for a better academic experience and/or if there was a miserable athletic experience that could be avoided by doing so. I do understand 'one more opportunity to play', but I'd be pushing to get something academic achieved with that year.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sportin' Life wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:48 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:23 am :D
Just to be clear, Dartmouth has never taken a transfer lax player. At least not in the past 5 decades.
Colin Niehaus transferred to Dartmouth after attending Amherst and as a freshman in the '19 - '20 school year. He appears to have reclassed when he did so as he is currently a rising senior.

https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/mens ... haus/36535

https://athletics.amherst.edu/sports/me ... haus/13326
Great correction, and yes, though I could be mistaken, he came in as a freshman, not as a sophomore.
He'd have had one semester completed at Amherst, the second one stopped by Covid, I assume.

So, from an Admissions perspective, part of that next freshman class. A do over. Covid certainly scrambled things!

The details may be slightly different than as I describe, but that sounds most likely to me.

What IS pretty obvious is that it wasn't because he'd lit it up at Amherst on the field...they played 3 games, and he didn't play....may have been a walk-on for the '22 season...played in 2 games, in 9 games played in '23 he had 61 minutes on the field, 1 shot, 2GBs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:07 am I can understand why someone would be defensive about their school...but the logic of some posters defending this level of transfers lacks credibility. We get it, you support your program.

Trying to put on the hat of an avid Rutgers fan, I think I'd say that I really liked how well Rutgers has been able to compete despite some of the inherent challenges faced in attracting top recruits to Rutgers that most other top contending schools don't face. Doing more with less, scrapping and scraping, competing.

And if I truly cared, I'd say that the new scale of transfers is indeed concerning, as it's really not an experiment that has a track record of success...I'd acknowledge that it's not the same as adding 1-4 known super studs who will definitely find a way to have an impact no matter how strong the team is that they're joining. I might say 'fingers crossed' that it works...

As not such a fan, it seems to me that Rutgers may be a great place to go if you want to play against top talent and feel you were otherwise ignored by the schools that were your preferred choices, all else being equal. If you're right, you'll play; if not, not.

Particularly great if you are from NJ, so in-state. And if you were ignored early, but light it up once in college, an interesting place to transfer to as they clearly are open to such.

That said, as a parent, I'd be telling my kid to go to the best academic school available, play or don't play ball, at whatever level they compete. And if you do play, make your mark there. If you have a medical redshirt or other extra year and can't do it at your original chosen school, then look for the best academic experience for a grad year...

Only reason I'd be happy about to see my kid transfer would be for a better academic experience and/or if there was a miserable athletic experience that could be avoided by doing so. I do understand 'one more opportunity to play', but I'd be pushing to get something academic achieved with that year.
Because identity is wrapped up in something beyond the person. Not uncommon but shines brightly here.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

lorin wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:52 am
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:05 am

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
We will judge all we want, Tranfer U is a joke feel bad for kids on that team that have no way out.

They have a way out - it’s called the transfer portal. HAHAH

Post by 1766 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:07 am I can understand why someone would be defensive about their school...but the logic of some posters defending this level of transfers lacks credibility. We get it, you support your program.

Facts aren't defensive. They are facts. Rutgers has no more "inherent challenges" than a school like Maryland. What are these "inherent challenges" you speak of? The Rodkin Center is world class in lacrosse. The team is fully funded and has the highest level of support going up to the President who regularly attends game. The school is top 60 ranked in USNWR bunched with most of it's peers. There is heavy alumni involvement.

Most every school should have these inherent challenges.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

1766 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:04 am You're just a guy on a message board who is always grinding axes.
Lol. What does that make you?
1766 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:04 am The guy who makes his living doing this is very excited about these acquisitions. We will see who is right. I know where I'd my money.
It also took him a decade to make an NCAA tournament so maybe he's not some all-knowing lax god?
1766 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:04 am And no, ND doesn't win the championship without those transfers. They more than "put them over the edge". Just like Hopkins doesn't make the tournament without the transfers they got.
That's the point. I never said otherwise. You know what "put them over the edge" means? Once again you're conflating the philosophy of taking in transfers at all which obviously every serious team is doing to some extent with accepting a literal dozen new guys to take over entire position groups. There is a difference even if you refuse to acknowledge it. Hopkins brought in 3 guys — that's 25% of Rutgers' haul this year — and one of them was already an AA from Georgetown and the other is now an AA after finally playing a healthy season.

Post by 1766 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:45 am
1766 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:04 am You're just a guy on a message board who is always grinding axes.
Lol. What does that make you?
1766 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:04 am The guy who makes his living doing this is very excited about these acquisitions. We will see who is right. I know where I'd my money.
It also took him a decade to make an NCAA tournament so maybe he's not some all-knowing lax god?
1766 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:04 am And no, ND doesn't win the championship without those transfers. They more than "put them over the edge". Just like Hopkins doesn't make the tournament without the transfers they got.
That's the point. I never said otherwise. You know what "put them over the edge" means? Once again you're conflating the philosophy of taking in transfers at all which obviously every serious team is doing to some extent with accepting a literal dozen new guys to take over entire position groups. There is a difference even if you refuse to acknowledge it. Hopkins brought in 3 guys — that's 25% of Rutgers' haul this year — and one of them was already an AA from Georgetown and the other is now an AA after finally playing a healthy season.
Never called anyone a "god" lol. You are losing an argument when you have to lie.

Who cares how many Hopkins brought in. They are doing what they think is best for the program. I think I get it now. Bringing in 6-8 for certain schools awesome. Great. Another school brings in more and it's a huge problem.

Yea, you brought in Melendez who was on the trash heap of transfers, yet it worked out. Every player Brecht is bringing in this season has bigger accomplishments than he did. So what did that say to the existing players? By your logic, he must not have believed in them much to be bringing that guy in.

Let's look at what Rutgers brought in a little more closely. 2 fogos after having 1 incoming freshmen and an existing player make a different decision after the season than was initially made. 4 SSDM's after losing 1 in the portal because didn't want to play the position and another for reasons I won't go into in fairness to the player. It's an areas the team needed to be better in and that was addressed. A back up goalie. So, when you start to look at the situation more closely, and with understanding, it makes a lot more sense.

The proof is in the pudding. If there were real issues you'd see players leaving the program in big numbers. Last year there were 2 transfers, non of note. This year 4. One of note who didn't like his position. Right in line with many peer programs.

Brecht has certainly earned the right to do it his way, which is the same way many schools are doing it. Just more. Let's revisit during the season.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

1766 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:35 am

Facts aren't defensive. They are facts. Rutgers has no more "inherent challenges" than a school like Maryland. What are these "inherent challenges" you speak of? The Rodkin Center is world class in lacrosse. The team is fully funded and has the highest level of support going up to the President who regularly attends game. The school is top 60 ranked in USNWR bunched with most of it's peers. There is heavy alumni involvement.

Most every school should have these inherent challenges.
mmm, definitely not my impression.

Try this comparison with UMD and Michigan:

Rutgers: https://www.forbes.com/colleges/rutgers ... 0400fe2308

Maryland: https://www.forbes.com/colleges/univers ... 350ab051aa

Michigan: https://www.forbes.com/colleges/univers ... 37b32d3c35

I think Forbes is much better at assessing how these schools are perceived and is much less manipulatable as USNWR.

You could argue that New Brunswick and College Park are similar environments. I'm not a fan of College Park, far from my ideal of college town whether urban, suburban, or rural... but hmmm, the demographics of New Brunswick are not nearly College Park's in terms of median home value, income, etc...

I'm not dismissing that Rutgers has its pluses over a whole heck of a lot of other schools, much less dismissing anything you're saying about commitment to lacrosse, facilities, etc...AND...Rutgers has a strong lax history, deservedly.

I'm just saying there are schools that have advantages relative to Rutgers, so seems like it's reasonable to suggest that it may be harder to recruit at least some of the most desired kids there than to some of their other choices.

But if you're saying there's no difference between the challenges of recruiting a kid to Rutgers than to Maryland (I'd disagree), then by that logic Brecht should have been regularly landing just as many of the most desired HS recruits as Tillman, or at least close...and that's not been happening. And it sure as heck wouldn't be necessary to bring in 11 transfers if there are four full classes of high level recruits already there.

So, it makes more sense to me to applaud the efforts to overcome some greater challenges, by hook or by crook, than it is to deny the challenges...
Rolldins

Post by Rolldins »

Damn, so much hostility towards Rutgers simply for trying a different strategy, you'd think they killed HopFan16's kid or something.

Can't we all get along? 1766, respect the loyalty but can we not stoke the fire?

Post by 1766 »

Rolldins wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:12 am Damn, so much hostility towards Rutgers simply for trying a different strategy, you'd think they killed HopFan16's kid or something.

Can't we all get along? 1766, respect the loyalty but can we not stoke the fire?
Facts aren't stoking the fire.

But agree. Guy sounds like Brecht ate his lunches in high school. You'd only care this much if you were associated with the school or you are nervous about losing to them. All in all, a great development!
coda

Post by coda »

Zawada to Duke
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

coda wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:19 pmZawada to Duke
NC native, good for him.

Will they run him at attack and bump Mcadorey back to middie? Or, is Zawada inserted into the midfield from day one?
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

I don't really care about Rutgers, Brecht or how many transfers they sign but I do have a question, How do they do it scholarship wise? I realize a lot of these transfers are only for a year or two and they had a large graduating class but they still have to fit into 12.6 so even if they are all only getting 25% that is 2.75 and that seems like a lot of scholarship left after HS recruiting and what was already on the books.
coda

Post by coda »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:33 pm
NC native, good for him.

Will they run him at attack and bump Mcadorey back to middie? Or, is Zawada inserted into the midfield from day one?
Crowded attack room. Zawada, McAdorey, and ONeill can all dodge from up top.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

coda wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:50 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:33 pm
NC native, good for him.

Crowded attack room. Zawada, McAdorey, and ONeill can all dodge from up top.
I would assume McAdorey is headed back to middie, there's no other real path that make sense. Dyson Williams tried running out of the box, it doesn't work and clearly your not moving O'Neil. Zawada at middie seems like a bride to far but maybe Duke gives it a shot.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

duke just hammering the portal. recruits cannot be happy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”