Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: Transfer portal

Post by 8meterPA »

wow - Rachel Clark in the portal. Guessing she stays in the ACC - UNC maybe?, which has a nice pipeline of SE PA kids.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’m guessing that was just a protective filing, to beat the June 30 deadline, in case she doesn’t like the new coach.
truster49

Post by truster49 »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:07 pm BC with their second off season pickup. Both AA and both with 2 years of eligibility. Browndorf a defender and now Lopinto to help the offense.
Wait, LoPinto to BC?? When was this announced?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:52 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:42 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:31 pm Tell you. The transfer portal has to be extremely stressful for incoming freshman and rising sophomores. Doesn’t matter where a coach puts you on the depth chart, it can all change in a minute.
No doubt. Unless you're an exceptionally talented freshman, you won't be seeing the field much. Of all the top recruits in a given class of about 6-9 players for a top program, about 2 will see regular playing time in 2 years of being on campus. The rest will transfer and the cycle begins again.

All these girls were the best players on their teams growing up and commit to top schools with all the confidence in the world that they'll be significant contributors. They all of a sudden find themselves as just another piece
The portal, once the Covid year is over, will be a tiny part of college lacrosse. The VAST majority of players will not “enter the portal” so the cycle begins again. Unlike basletball or football, there’s not enough NIL money in women’s lax to drive the transfer market.
There are roughly 1000 girls recruited to d1 each year (125 programs x 8 slots). How many were in the portal this year? Less than ten percent? And that INCLUDES Covid 5th years. Do that analysis on true undergrad transfers and this is much ado about nothing.
Helps top programs at the margin. But has very little impact on 90 percent of division 1 players…..
I think for teams 10-125 yes. Won’t be a big deal. But I think if your daughter goes top 10, they will be transferring kids in even after 2024.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

There is no “top 10”

At the present time there is:
Bc, northwestern, unc, Syracuse and everyone else.
There are another 10-15 teams in the next 5. And Maryland is just one of those teams….presently.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:42 pm There is no “top 10”

At the present time there is:
Bc, northwestern, unc, Syracuse and everyone else.
There are another 10-15 teams in the next 5. And Maryland is just one of those teams….presently.
Despite the constant claims about increasing parity in the sport, it's been this way for a few years. Every top 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament made the Final Four from 2018-22. Denver broke that trend this year as a 5 seed. The last unseeded team to go on the road and make the Final Four (which means they traveled their whole tourney run) was Navy in 2017. Right now, I see NW, BC and UNC as a step ahead of everybody else heading into 2024.

Maybe things change once the COVID year ends, but it's not like those coaches are going to get complacent. It takes recruiting at a high level consistently and then getting a combination of luck and talent development to contend for a title every year.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

You’re wrong. There’s a top 10 and a top 20. There’s just not 10 or 20 teams that has a shot at winning the championship. 2025 will be the first year the super graduates can’t play anymore. That’s not gonna stop kids who play for the 40th ranked team and have a phenomenal year transferring into the 9th ranked team with zero shot to win. Transferring will be here to stay. It’s not football yes, it won’t be about NIL money. It’ll be about playing time or trying to chase the tournament. Just my opinion. But I’m always right. 😉
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

njbill wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:13 pm I’m guessing that was just a protective filing, to beat the June 30 deadline, in case she doesn’t like the new coach.
I didn’t think there was a deadline for kids who are dealing with a coaching change? I know they get a one time immediate transfer option due to coaching change. If JM had retired in July, I can’t imagine that would mean Clark would be stuck because of missing June 30 deadline. Right? Or no?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Tried to find the answer with a quick Google search, without success. At least I couldn’t find a definitive answer.

Saw something that said the deadline for lacrosse this year was June 21, not June 30.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_cen ... indows.pdf

Also saw something that suggested an athlete has 30 days after a coach leaves to enter the portal. One reference said that exception only applied if the coach left during the season. Another site did not have that qualification.

I don’t know the date Clark entered the portal. Assuming she did so after Myers was fired, then that would have been after the June 21 deadline. So presumably, there is some type of exception applicable here.

In any event, it still seems to me that her entering the portal could be to give herself options if she does not like the new coach. Just guesswork on my part.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

njbill wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:03 am Tried to find the answer with a quick Google search, without success. At least I couldn’t find a definitive answer.

Saw something that said the deadline for lacrosse this year was June 21, not June 30.

Also saw something that suggested an athlete has 30 days after a coach leaves to enter the portal. One reference said that exception only applied if the coach left during the season. Another site did not have that qualification.

I don’t know the date Clark entered the portal. Assuming she did so after Myers was fired, then that would have been after the June 21 deadline. So presumably, there is some type of exception applicable here.

In any event, it still seems to me that her entering the portal could be to give herself options if she does not like the new coach. Just guesswork on my part.
Myers wasn't fired. She resigned on June 21.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I didn’t mean to get into the middle of that for purposes of this discussion although, as I am sure you know, there is much talk going on. I have no dog whatsoever in that hunt.

The rules I came across apply regardless of the reason for the coaching change.
offhanded

Post by offhanded »

njbill wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:03 am Tried to find the answer with a quick Google search, without success. At least I couldn’t find a definitive answer.

The portal opens on the day following the NCAA tournament selections and remains open for 45 days to enter it. This year those dates were May 8 - June 21. So I suppose the calendar dates could vary from year to year, that may explain it. Or the policy used to be different.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

offhanded wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:56 pm

The portal opens on the day following the NCAA tournament selections and remains open for 45 days to enter it. This year those dates were May 8 - June 21. So I suppose the calendar dates could vary from year to year, that may explain it. Or the policy used to be different.
I heard the NCAA is considering shortening that 45 day period to manage some of the chaos.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:24 pm You’re wrong. There’s a top 10 and a top 20. There’s just not 10 or 20 teams that has a shot at winning the championship. 2025 will be the first year the super graduates can’t play anymore. That’s not gonna stop kids who play for the 40th ranked team and have a phenomenal year transferring into the 9th ranked team with zero shot to win. Transferring will be here to stay. It’s not football yes, it won’t be about NIL money. It’ll be about playing time or trying to chase the tournament. Just my opinion. But I’m always right. 😉

There is an extensive list of valid reasons players choose to transfer that are not playing time or ring chasing.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Sure There are cases where kids are transferring for other reasons. But I would say the majority of players with taken like Lopinto or all these kids ranked 3rd in their recruit year are leaving for playing time.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

I have no idea why lopinto is transeferrring. But it certainly isn’t playing time. Nor her teammate who is supposedly also transferring.
They are both starters on a top 10 team. Something else is going on with them or with Florida.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:09 pm I have no idea why lopinto is transeferrring. But it certainly isn’t playing time. Nor her teammate who is supposedly also transferring.
They are both starters on a top 10 team. Something else is going on with them or with Florida.
I think it’s pretty obvious why
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:09 pm I have no idea why lopinto is transeferrring. But it certainly isn’t playing time. Nor her teammate who is supposedly also transferring.
Playing time I was referring to the kids ranked 3rd not playing for two years. Lopinto is chasing a championship
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Do you know that for a fact? Or are you just inferring it from her move to bc from Florida?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Lopinto visited several top 5 schools. Im sure there were several factors and winning and competing in the ACC was one of them. Some kids are wired to compete and be the best and she appears to be one of those kids. Florida like ND are similar. Lots of talent and lots of disappointment and a fair amount of that is coaching and culture. Great move for her and BC since she has 2 years of eligibility.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”