2023 world lacrosse men's championship

International Men's Lacrosse
DMac

Re: 2023 world lacrosse men's championship

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:25 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:18 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:11 pm
I don’t like box either. Why we have this infatuation with Canadians and box is something I will never understand.
Not seeing how this is hard to understand, plenty of examples of mighty fine Canadian box players who are standouts in college lacrosse. Typically their sticks are quicker and better, more creativity and innovation, accurate shooters too. All stems from that in tight box game. Lot of college kids playing box, including wlaxers, during the off season. I like box, it's a good game. World Tourney was held here some years back, fantastic stuff, watched a lot of it.
It’s a different game. I don’t particularly like it (I watched the junior box tournament back in the winter). I do like the women’s game….like some of my Canadian friends say, there are plenty of bad Canadian players too.
After all is said and done I'm a college lacrosse fan, I like that game the best. Watching the box tourney here made a bit of a bigger box fan out of me. That really is a tough game, gotta think very quickly on your feet. To my eyes the world is more competitive in box than field, it's a bit of a more forgiving game. A TO in field is a pretty big deal, in box not as much.
Watching these World Games is the best example you'll ever see of why lacrosse has no business being in the Olympics, not much has changed in that respect. You've got to be a pretty hard core lacrosse fan to stay tuned to some of these games or have some kind of rooting interest. Was hoping they'd scan the crowd in the Denmark game, figured there'd be some hottie Danish girls dressed for the San Diego weather in the stands, but no luck.
Feeling a little Asian tonight. If this looks good it's because it is (chopsticks gotta be the dumbest eating utensil(s) ever, make no sense).
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:19 pm If lacrosse makes it into the Olympics, the proposed structure is eight teams. The result would be a similar event to the World Games in Birmingham, Alabama last summer.

The USA Canada final in 2022 was, basically, a box type game played on a field. Personally, I found the stickwork and competition interesting. The Japa/England game was similarly entertaining.
agreed and it might be more fun for the causal fan, last olympics I fell in love with the 3 on 3 basketball and I am sure "real" basketball fans hated it but I don't like or watch much basketball and I found the 5 on 3 to be fun (half court, 12 second shot clock and first one to 21 wins) ,it is fast and over in about a half an hour. the last 5 minutes of an NBA game is usually longer
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

jersey shore lax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:04 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:19 pm If lacrosse makes it into the Olympics, the proposed structure is eight teams. The result would be a similar event to the World Games in Birmingham, Alabama last summer.

The USA Canada final in 2022 was, basically, a box type game played on a field. Personally, I found the stickwork and competition interesting. The Japa/England game was similarly entertaining.
agreed and it might be more fun for the causal fan, last olympics I fell in love with the 3 on 3 basketball and I am sure "real" basketball fans hated it but I don't like or watch much basketball and I found the 5 on 3 to be fun (half court, 12 second shot clock and first one to 21 wins) ,it is fast and over in about a half an hour. the last 5 minutes of an NBA game is usually longer
I think that you are correct that they are looking for mass appeal. In the USA/Canada final in Birmingham, Jeff Teat netted a falling down one handed behind the back goal. The game was relatively short and speedy. Basically a skills exhibition.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

3 on 3 basketball is pure basketball. You cut your teeth playing 3 on 3. This “sixies” game is just some made up game being used as a gimmick to get a game with lacrosse sticks and a goal in it. Flip the goal over and play without a goalie.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

1766 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:32 pm [

If I had my way, I'd put the college game in the Olympics. That just wasn't possible. It's either sixes or nothing. Given that, some form of the game is better than no form of the game. Wouldn't be shocked in 50-100 years if we don't see sixes as the version of lacrosse that is played everywhere, even in college.
we choose nothing.

(although 6's is fun to play and watch . So is 3 on 3 basketball.)

See no value in the Olympics, except for the participants/players wearing cowboy hats, clothing made in China and waving at the crowd.

When IS the last time you had interest in watching the America's Cup (sailing ) , to go along with the Olympics. ?

exactly

If Bermuda can't hang with England in 2023......what's gonna change when the corrupt IOC get their hands on our game ?

And, again.......unless the HAUDENOSAUNEE are guaranteed entry by the IOC, what IS the point ?

OH.....and the World games website is horrible. Just awful.

One would think that TEAMS, ROsters, schedules, etc. would be front and center. (like "diversity" is :roll:

Maybe the PLL marketing team, or a 4th grader, could offer up some tips.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:30 pm

3 on 3 basketball is pure basketball. You cut your teeth playing 3 on 3. This “sixies” game is just some made up game being used as a gimmick to get a game with lacrosse sticks and a goal in it. Flip the goal over and play without a goalie.

3 /5 6/10 mathematically the same ratio.

Isnt' 3 on 3 played half court ?

yeah.....the same :roll:
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I got excited about sixes when Andy Shay was the coach and Matt Brandau was on the team, then watched it; sadly, I found it kind of like the mule (sterile offspring of horse and donkey) of the lacrosse world: an artificial, forced union of field and box lacrosse. I totally understand and respect the effort to get a lacrosse product into the Olympics but I'm a "nix on six."
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:29 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:18 pm
Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:17 pm It baffles me why international versions of sports need to have different rules from the "original."
Which rules set are "original"

The NCAA changes rules every year now.

Olympics will be sixes rules (whatever they are)
OK. Whatever game we watched last night was an awful brand of the sport. Just terrible. It was the most boring lacrosse game I've watched since the last World LaX Tournament. If this is a showcase for the sport, they need to rethink the product. Why are most NCAA games streamed and this is on ESPN for the sporting world to see? It was embarrassingly bad.
no one to blame but the players and coaches..........
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:37 pm

If I had my way, I'd put the college game in the Olympics. That just wasn't possible. It's either sixes or nothing. Given that, some form of the game is better than no form of the game. Wouldn't be shocked in 50-100 years if we don't see sixes as the version of lacrosse that is played everywhere, even in college.
we choose nothing.

See no value in the Olympics, except for the participants/players wearing cowboy hats, clothing made in China and waving at the crowd.

When IS the last time you had interest in watching the America's Cup (sailing ) , to go along with the Olympics. ?

exactly

If Bermuda can't hang with England in 2023......what's gonna change when the corrupt IOC get their hands on our game ?

And, again.......unless the HAUDENOSAUNEE are guaranteed entry by the IOC, what IS the point ?

One would think that TEAMS, ROsters, schedules, etc. would be front and center. (like "diversity" is :roll:

Do the Haudenosaunee have a shot to be in the olympics? Don’t you have to be an actual country with borders and passports?
old salt

Post by old salt »

faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:27 pm Italy has the third most PLL players after the USA and Canada.
Are they all from Long Island ?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:24 pm

I think that you are correct that they are looking for mass appeal. In the USA/Canada final in Birmingham, Jeff Teat netted a falling down one handed behind the back goal. The game was relatively short and speedy. Basically a skills exhibition.
Both those games last World games.
Lots and lots of talent on the field from Rabil, Danowski, Ryan Brown, Schreiber for US,
and those attack, midfield combos were near lethal for Canada, Mark Matthews, Teat, Dickson, Byrne, Berg, Ben McIntosh made All World,
not sure why Canada cut Mark Matthews this time around.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Typical Lax Dad

The Orfling wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:45 pm

I got excited about sixes when Andy Shay was the coach and Matt Brandau was on the team, then watched it; sadly, I found it kind of like the mule (sterile offspring of horse and donkey) of the lacrosse world: an artificial, forced union of field and box lacrosse. I totally understand and respect the effort to get a lacrosse product into the Olympics but I'm a "nix on six."
It’s so contrived. It’s not lacrosse. Just put box in if that’s the case. Isn’t there a box world game? The PLL guys invented this game to try to eat more at the money trough.….that’s all it amounts to. Just put box in.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:47 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:27 pm Italy has the third most PLL players after the USA and Canada.
A quick look at the roster shows one Long Island, one Massachusetts and one Maryland. The team website mentions Italian citizenship rules. I'm not sure if players have Italian born parents or grandparents, or if Italy grants citizenship easily with lineage.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

faircornell wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:35 am
A quick look at the roster shows one Long Island, one Massachusetts and one Maryland. The team website mentions Italian citizenship rules. I'm not sure if players have Italian born parents or grandparents, or if Italy grants citizenship easily with lineage.
Nothing beaurocratic goes easily in Italy, but yes, just 1 grandparent of Italian citizenship qualifies a person to file. And I can't imagine the Italian Lacrosse Federation (or whatev it's called) having the pull to ease the application process along. Now if, say, the US produces a world class striker who had even just an Italian nanny, he might find the process eazy-peazy.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:24 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:37 pm

we choose nothing.

exactly

Do the Haudenosaunee have a shot to be in the olympics? Don’t you have to be an actual country with borders and passports?
Yes. The IOC has given them a path (but they will, off course, have to pay up for admission to the IOC). :oops: AMATEUR sports you know :shock:
Last edited by Kismet on Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:33 am
faircornell wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:35 am
Nothing beaurocratic goes easily in Italy, but yes, just 1 grandparent of Italian citizenship qualifies a person to file. And I can't imagine the Italian Lacrosse Federation (or whatev it's called) having the pull to ease the application process along. Now if, say, the US produces a world class striker who had even just an Italian nanny, he might find the process eazy-peazy.
Your Italian grandparent had to be an Italian citizen when your parent was born. If a grandparent emigrated to to the US and became a US citizen ( denouncing Italian citizenship as many immigrants did in the earlier part of the century) before the parent was born, the grandchild is not eligible for Italian citizenship.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Another dumb joke falls flat.....Show me stupid...petty and, of course, wrong :oops:
Last edited by Kismet on Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Stickball is pure baseball. You cut your teeth playing Stickball.
Typical Lax Dad

jersey shore lax wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:59 am

Stickball is pure baseball. You cut your teeth playing Stickball.

When did you first see a “Sixies” game? Is there a league?
Typical Lax Dad

https://worldlacrosse.sport/article/wor ... -new-gear/

Yeah…..Sixies. I wonder who was behind the development of it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_lacrosse

Put Box Lacrosse in the Olympics

Return to “INTERNATIONAL MENS LACROSSE”