2023 world lacrosse men's championship

International Men's Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: 2023 world lacrosse men's championship

Post by 10stone5 »

Partial list,

Post by faircornell »

7-5 USA Final. Some great goaltending and interceptions.
Last edited by faircornell on Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The international rules make for a boring game. All that talent on the field wasted.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

How is this good for the sport?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

faircornell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:31 pm 7-5 USA Final. Some great goaltending and interceptions.
Never thought I would say this, but the international game needs a shot clock. Almost looked like a soccer version of lacrosse.

Team USA won all but two faceoffs. What is any team supposed to do against Baptiste and Ierlan?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:08 am
faircornell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:31 pm 7-5 USA Final. Some great goaltending and interceptions.
Never thought I would say this, but the international game needs a shot clock. Almost looked like a soccer version of lacrosse.

Team USA won all but two faceoffs. What is any team supposed to do against Baptiste and Ierlan?

DocBarrister
While I can't disagree, this is really more of a lacrosse "festival" in my view, as much as a tournament. This year, 30 teams qualified with no automatic invitations that I'm aware of. 107 games go through all skill levels, so the rules are geared toward the lowest common
denominator of play. World Lacrosse and the national teams do an amazing amount of work to prepare for thesis games. By construct, the USA/ Canada game will be sub-optimal so that teams less advanced teams can play with continuous flow and fewer stoppages of play.

As global lacrosse develops, a shot clock will become more realistic at all levels.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:20 am

DocBarrister
While I can't disagree, this is really more of a lacrosse "festival" in my view, as much as a tournament. This year, 30 teams qualified with no automatic invitations that I'm aware of. 107 games go through all skill levels, so the rules are geared toward the lowest common
denominator of play. World Lacrosse and the national teams do an amazing amount of work to prepare for thesis games. By construct, the USA/ Canada game will be sub-optimal so that teams less advanced teams can play with continuous flow and fewer stoppages of play.

As global lacrosse develops, a shot clock will become more realistic at all levels.
All makes sense. Thanks.

East Asia and the South Pacific well represented with South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, Philippines, Australia, and New Zealand playing.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:53 am

DocBarrister
While I can't disagree, this is really more of a lacrosse "festival" in my view, as much as a tournament. This year, 30 teams qualified with no automatic invitations that I'm aware of. 107 games go through all skill levels, so the rules are geared toward the lowest common denominator of play. World Lacrosse and the national teams do an amazing amount of work to prepare for thesis games. By construct, the USA/ Canada game will be sub-optimal so that teams less advanced teams can play with continuous flow and fewer stoppages of play.

All makes sense. Thanks.

East Asia and the South Pacific well represented with South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, Philippines, Australia, and New Zealand playing.

DocBarrister
Well explained re: the shot clock.

The US - Canada final game match — they’ll lay it on the line, teams look like they held back this game.
Canada will need to cover O’Neill much better.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Game was boring, plus watching all the one-handed Canadian “box dodgers” should make it difficult for them to score 1v 1…I turned game off after first quarter.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

DocBarrister

While I see the logic here, I don't agree with it. This is equivalent to saying the Olympics should've done away with a basketball shot clock when they allowed pros to play and we sent the Dream Team. Sure, it may have resulted in less dominant wins; it also would've resulted in much less worldwide excitement over the sport. I think seeing the best in the world play the best brand of the sport does more for growth then seeing closer games that aren't as exciting.
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:55 am

DocBarrister

While I see the logic here, I don't agree with it. This is equivalent to saying the Olympics should've done away with a basketball shot clock when they allowed pros to play and we sent the Dream Team. Sure, it may have resulted in less dominant wins; it also would've resulted in much less worldwide excitement over the sport. I think seeing the best in the world play the best brand of the sport does more for growth then seeing closer games that aren't as exciting.
Speaking of the Olympics, I just don't see how this can be considered an Olympic sport when 2 countries dominate as much as they do in this sport. There is an utter lack of competitiveness outside of the US and Canada especially when you consider that to compete for a country in the Olympics you have to be a citizen of that country. How many players on non-US/Canada lineups are US or Canadian citizens?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:14 pm Partial list,
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

BrownDad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:17 am

DocBarrister

Speaking of the Olympics, I just don't see how this can be considered an Olympic sport when 2 countries dominate as much as they do in this sport. There is an utter lack of competitiveness outside of the US and Canada especially when you consider that to compete for a country in the Olympics you have to be a citizen of that country. How many players on non-US/Canada lineups are US or Canadian citizens?
And what will be played in the Olympics isn’t lacrosse….It’s a different sport played with lacrosse sticks and goals. May as well flip the goals over and play without a goalie. I refuse to watch it.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

DocBarrister

Agree and most players playing for different countries had to raise their own funds on average $5k to get there and participate.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:22 am

DocBarrister

And what will be played in the Olympics isn’t lacrosse….It’s a different sport played with lacrosse sticks and goals. May as well flip the goals over and play without a goalie. I refuse to watch it.
Money talks sadly. Note that the offices of the 2024 Paris Olympics and the French IOC in Paris were raided by authorities earlier this week
investigating alleged financial improprieties including bribery.

may explain why some movers and shakers in lacrosse want access to that money train including inventing a new sport as a price of admission.

Also would like to know how you schedule the most compelling matchup of the entire event on the first night at 10:00PM EDT on the East Coast where most of your target audience is :oops:
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:22 am

DocBarrister

where can I get a cup of your misery flow.....

......West Genny drill is most players favorite. Kind of like "Sixes". Fast and fun. What IS your favorite drill, TLD?

Only issue with the "Olympics" IS the Nation is going to get the run around to gain entry, like what happened in England a few years back.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

I see a new market emerging. You know the "Ukrainian bride" pop up ads? (used to be "Russian" brides ;)

Well, apparently, the World lacrosse rules stipulate "marriage" to a resident, makes one qualified to play for that country.

A little bizness niche.......team Columbia or Brazil could be a real factor, real soon. Lacrosse brides.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Was it me or was Rob Pannell bad last night? Thought the younger guys looked way better...
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

He had two assists. O'Neil, the youngest player, looked the best.
molo

Post by molo »

Starting attack combined for a couple of assists, both from Pannell. No points from the lefty attackmen as the best lefty attackman, O’Neill, played midfield. Each UVA second middie scored a goal. Can Canada, shut out for almost the entire second half, win enough face-offs to take the rematch? USA was also without the reigning MVP last night, but that didn’t seem to matter with such an elite corps of poles.

Return to “INTERNATIONAL MENS LACROSSE”