molo

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

Post by molo »

Oil and water?
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:46 pm
TopShelf585 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:28 pm He counted on these guys to stay another year and finish up as graduate students in the business school.
Why would he count on that after both Schelling and Kirst elected to use their 5th years elsewhere? Feel like he should have seen the writing on the wall
He really was All In with these guys.
Kirst and Schelling couldn’t get out of town quick enough. Not at all the same type of relationship with Cassese and it didn’t end well for those guys as it became obvious to them what was going on. Schelling going to Fuqua School and Kirst going to Newhouse School was a huge win for them.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:11 pm Hard to believe that having a "rebuild" for the next years is reason to bounce....that would speak to his commitment coaching young men and those he recruited. I really find that hard to fathom, and if there is an inkling to that take, that would be a no-go for me if I where the interviewing school.

I really think what you can get done in the Patriot League has a lot to do with his decision.... it's like groundhog day each and every year. A 9-team conference with OOC scheduling challenges, limitations for grad students, smaller school footprints, no big competing football or hoops programs. IT all ran its course...time to move on.

It's likely a culmination of many things...best of luck to him. Although he and Lars are like oil and water...that oughtta make some interesting observations on the sidelines and in coaching meetings :lol:
He interviewed all the time. Not every coach is a magnanimous, saintly father figure.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

The fact that they immediately announced Scudder as the next HC also tells me this was in the works for awhile. Scudder is a great young coach and actually an upgrade in my eyes. He is a true Lehigh guy while Cassese has been trying to leave for years and now he got his wish. Good luck being second fiddle to Lars.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:11 pm Hard to believe that having a "rebuild" for the next years is reason to bounce....that would speak to his commitment coaching young men and those he recruited. I really find that hard to fathom, and if there is an inkling to that take, that would be a no-go for me if I where the interviewing school.

I really think what you can get done in the Patriot League has a lot to do with his decision.... it's like groundhog day each and every year. A 9-team conference with OOC scheduling challenges, limitations for grad students, smaller school footprints, no big competing football or hoops programs. IT all ran its course...time to move on.

It's likely a culmination of many things...best of luck to him. Although he and Lars are like oil and water...that oughtta make some interesting observations on the sidelines and in coaching meetings :lol:
Cassese leaves as Lehigh’s all time leader in coaching wins,
as the only Lehigh coach to get them to the NCAAs,
three tournament appearances,

16 years as Lehigh, that’s more than enough,
and yes, still young enough to take a chance and make the move to UVA,

he didn’t leave the cupboard bare - solid recruits for Lehigh this past year and the next two.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

TopShelf585 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:12 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:46 pm
TopShelf585 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:28 pm He counted on these guys to stay another year and finish up as graduate students in the business school.
Why would he count on that after both Schelling and Kirst elected to use their 5th years elsewhere? Feel like he should have seen the writing on the wall
He really was All In with these guys.
Kirst and Schelling couldn’t get out of town quick enough. Not at all the same type of relationship with Cassese and it didn’t end well for those guys as it became obvious to them what was going on. Schelling going to Fuqua School and Kirst going to Newhouse School was a huge win for them.
Agreed- you can't fault Cassese for that. 16 years at Lehigh is a long time- I think he does leave it better than he found it.
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

I really felt that Simon Conor and his high tech offense would have been a better fit at Lehigh, he would have brought his Delbarton pipeline with him to Bethlehem & remember Nova beat up the engineers 2 seasons ago when Lehigh was having a terrific season
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You sure like Simon Conor a lot. Queens, Lehigh, etc. he’s a fit for them all!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Lehigh is a tough place to win. But never really understood hype of Cassese. One tournament appearance in 16 years? Maybe two? And the one back in 12/13ish they showed up like a bunch of tough guys at UNC, barking and laying the hammer the first few minutes….then got their doors blown off.

Chemotti has earned a crack at Duke when the Godfather retires. Little Dino, not so much.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:23 am

Cassese leaves as Lehigh’s all time leader in coaching wins,
as the only Lehigh coach to get them to the NCAAs,
three tournament appearances,

16 years as Lehigh, that’s more than enough,
and yes, still young enough to take a chance and make the move to UVA,

he didn’t leave the cupboard bare - solid recruits for Lehigh this past year and the next two.
Agreed.

But that does make me wonder why he's been stuck at Lehigh after reportedly being involved in several coaching searches over the past few years. It hasn't been a secret that he's wanted out of there. He's been linked to the searches for the high profile jobs that have opened over the last several years, including, if I'm not mistaken, both UVA and Hopkins. Given what he's accomplished, why hasn't he already moved?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:38 am Lehigh is a tough place to win. But never really understood hype of Cassese. One tournament appearance in 16 years? Maybe two? And the one back in 12/13ish they showed up like a bunch of tough guys at UNC, barking and laying the hammer the first few minutes….then got their doors blown off.

Chemotti has earned a crack at Duke when the Godfather retires. Little Dino, not so much.
He did a lot better than Wakely but yeah the pit Bull routine gets old fast. Amplo did it right getting out of Marquette while he was hot.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:45 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:38 am Lehigh is a tough place to win. But never really understood hype of Cassese. One tournament appearance in 16 years? Maybe two? And the one back in 12/13ish they showed up like a bunch of tough guys at UNC, barking and laying the hammer the first few minutes….then got their doors blown off.

He did a lot better than Wakely but yeah the pit Bull routine gets old fast. Amplo did it right getting out of Marquette while he was hot.
I honestly never paid much attention to Cassese’s sideline demeanor.
His players though, Dimaria and Dante Fantoni - those two were worth the price of admission.
They got blown out by a lot of UNC talent, Holman, Davey Emala, all those guys, I thought that team should have gone further.
Lehigh upset UNC the year before, that win is what put Lehigh on the map for the next 3 years.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

the sad reality is that the Patriot league is a , mostly, a ONE bid league. From the AQ.

Johns Hopkins has been getting its "doors blown off" in the n$aa's, multiple times since the 13 goal differential beat down by Duke in 2010.

Two CAA teams thumped UNC...at home....the year they "won it all " Neither team got an n$aa bid, even they had great winning percentages.

carry on.........D1 lacrosse is so stuck in 80's.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The Patriot League has such wide variance in terms of support for lacrosse. You have Navy, which has the resource support (if not more) than ACC and B1G programs. Then you have programs like Bucknell and Lafayette that aren't fully funded to the 12.6 scholarship level. Loyola's won a national title, and Holy Cross has sunk to a bottom 10 program in the nation as Reppert tries to rebuild it. They'll all phenomenal academic institutions, but I'm not sure there's a conference out there that has the same span of support for lacrosse at the D1 level.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:30 am The Patriot League has such wide variance in terms of support for lacrosse. You have Navy, which has the resource support (if not more) than ACC and B1G programs. Then you have programs like Bucknell and Lafayette that aren't fully funded to the 12.6 scholarship level. Loyola's won a national title, and Holy Cross has sunk to a bottom 10 program in the nation as Reppert tries to rebuild it. They'll all phenomenal academic institutions, but I'm not sure there's a conference out there that has the same span of support for lacrosse at the D1 level.
That’s why it’s a one bid league-bottom drags the top down
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:26 am .........D1 lacrosse is so stuck in 80's.
So true...the incestuous nature of the coaching tree is like playing the Six Degree of the Kevin Bacon Game. IMO, the sooner we can get more coaches like Brown, Kirwan, March, on the offensive side, and others of like vision, the more interesting our sport becomes. Sadly, we have to change the rules so often just to get them moving along at a faster rate.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:38 am
Wheels wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:30 am The Patriot League has such wide variance in terms of support for lacrosse. You have Navy, which has the resource support (if not more) than ACC and B1G programs. Then you have programs like Bucknell and Lafayette that aren't fully funded to the 12.6 scholarship level. Loyola's won a national title, and Holy Cross has sunk to a bottom 10 program in the nation as Reppert tries to rebuild it. They'll all phenomenal academic institutions, but I'm not sure there's a conference out there that has the same span of support for lacrosse at the D1 level.
Agreed.....been pushing for an addition to make a 10 team league and split them in half with some crossover games rotating each year. It will allow more OOC competition and interest for recruiting.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:47 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:38 am
Agreed.....been pushing for an addition to make a 10 team league and split them in half with some crossover games rotating each year. It will allow more OOC competition and interest for recruiting.
Didn’t have a good reason to send hobart packing in 04-was a good fit for both sides.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

1766 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:10 pm The person who just had Cassese's job took a head job at Dartmouth. I'd say that is at best parallel with Lehigh if not a step below.

You don't make this move unless there is something else going on. A HC gig at a PL school trump's an assistant at any other school.
Is it possible the pay is better as an assistant at Virginia and Cassese & Lehigh mutually agreed it was time for a change?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Bucknell increasing its funding and building new facilities

https://express.adobe.com/page/ziWcGvY7 ... HKl6a0y1Kg

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”