Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

Post by jrn19 »

His dream may be to be the coach at Duke. But he def wasn't jumping from Lehigh to Duke. I doubt he jumps from UVA OC to Duke either; but clearly he thinks it gives him a better chance or that UVA OC gives him a better chance to get all those jobs he wasn't getting he interviewed for.

But he ain't getting Duke HC anyway so.

Interesting move from Lars.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:42 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:31 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:24 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:06 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:00 pm I think it is even more clear now that Cassese is hungry to be the next coach at Duke.
Cassesse headed to Duke as OC?
no, petro to msm as dc.
No, I think his dream is to be the next HEAD COACH at Duke(his alma mater).
or anywhere but lehigh.
LOL-There are MANY DI programs that are a lot less desirable than Lehigh.
he has interviewed for lord knows how many jobs. that is actual evidence of something.

your comment, and many comments on coaches, speak(s) to what you think they're up to or what kind of hot water they're in. with little to no evidence. just an observation.
In this case, nothing I just said regarding Coach Cassese had to do with my thoughts of him being in hot water at Lehigh. I could be wrong. But I would be willing to bet that he was, very possibly, in very fine shape in Bethlehem just now. And there is nothing wrong or abnormal with thinking Duke may well be his dream job. Assuming he does well at UVA, his resume will look that much better.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Chris Jastrzembski
“ There is also word that David Metzbower and Denver are in talks to serve on Matt Brown's staff.

Metzbower was let go at UNC about a week ago.”

“ Finally, on the head coach situation at Queens: Expecting it to be a head coach from a current Division II school. Couple of names being floated around as we speak.”
Last edited by AreaLax on Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:44 pm His dream may be to be the coach at Duke. But he def wasn't jumping from Lehigh to Duke. I doubt he jumps from UVA OC to Duke either; but clearly he thinks it gives him a better chance or that UVA OC gives him a better chance to get all those jobs he wasn't getting he interviewed for.

But he ain't getting Duke HC anyway so.

Interesting move from Lars.
Who do you think will get the Duke job? Matt Danowski?

Post by 1766 »

That would be my guess but it's questionable to say that Cassese wouldn't get the Duke job from Lehigh. Danowski got it from Hofstra.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Danowski got it from Hofstra because of the unprecedented situation going on at the time and the unique position he was in with his son being on the team, the Duke players universally recommending him as the coach they wanted for the job, and he was viewed as one of the best coaches in the sport.

Cassese has interviewed for a litany of jobs over the years and gotten...none of them. It's clear that he had maxed out his station. If he felt that he could go from Lehigh to Duke, he'd have stayed at Lehigh.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Danowski will try to stay at Duke long enough for his son to grow up so he can pass the throne to him, I just don’t see the son growing up.

No way anyone leaves a HC position at a good Patriot school to be an assistant anywhere even UVA. I’d bet a lot the AD told him his days were numbered and he should quickly look for something new. Cassese has interviewed for every open job in the last several years and the AD finally decided to give him his dream of leaving Bethlehem. No one decides that being an assistant at UVA is a better path to a head coaching job at Duke than keeping a Head Coaching gig at Lehigh, no way.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

It might not be, but in Cassese's mind clearly he wasn't getting other head coaching jobs or elevating his position being at Lehigh. He had maxed out where he was being at Lehigh. Lehigh wasn't kicking the guy out, they just promoted the interim without a moment's thought. He'd been very successful there. I think it's probably fair to say that his attempts to interview for tons of jobs didn't help him get another job, schools probably thought he'd use them as a steppingstone too.

But if his ultimate goal is to get to Duke or to elevate his station, it wasn't happening at Lehigh. He's taking the bet that being in the limelight at UVA, on championship weekend every year as Associate Head Coach at UVA will give him a bigger profile to ADs to get himself perhaps a bigger job than Lehigh that he can then parlay into Duke or perhaps being in the same conference as Duke and doing very well as assistant at a rival could get him in the door for it. That's my guess. It wasn't going to happen at Lehigh. If it was, he doesn't make the move.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:33 pm Danowski will try to stay at Duke long enough for his son to grow up so he can pass the throne to him, I just don’t see the son growing up.

No way anyone leaves a HC position at a good Patriot school to be an assistant anywhere even UVA. I’d bet a lot the AD told him his days were numbered and he should quickly look for something new. Cassese has interviewed for every open job in the last several years and the AD finally decided to give him his dream of leaving Bethlehem. No one decides that being an assistant at UVA is a better path to a head coaching job at Duke than keeping a Head Coaching gig at Lehigh, no way.
Can't totally agree with that. He will have RECENT associate head coach experience at not just a top program, but at one in the same conference as Duke. In addition, one must remember that another thought may be on his mind, assuming Duke is his dream job. That is:

current Richmond coach Dan Chemotti, also a Duke alum, may have the same dream. AND, like Cassese, he has a solid run as the head coach at at DI program on his resume. However, Chemotti also has a national title at Loyola while being their OC. So he definitely has experience coaching on the biggest stage, regardless of position. At UVA, Cassese will likely get that opportunity, and very possibly win at least one title.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:33 pm Danowski will try to stay at Duke long enough for his son to grow up so he can pass the throne to him, I just don’t see the son growing up.

Imagine if you had Scott Urick coaching against Matt Danowski…

But MVA was an ok HC who threw in that towel eventually. I’m not sure your supposition he was fired is a slam dunk, his dad was working there though. Wakely stayed on in a administrative role. It’s just a weird shop theee IMO.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DebitLaxPlayable

Post by DebitLaxPlayable »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:44 pm

Can't totally agree with that. He will have RECENT associate head coach experience at not just a top program, but at one in the same conference as Duke. In addition, one must remember that another thought may be on his mind, assuming Duke is his dream job. That is:

current Richmond coach Dan Chemotti, also a Duke alum, may have the same dream. AND, like Cassese, he has a solid run as the head coach at at DI program on his resume. However, Chemotti also has a national title at Loyola while being their OC. So he definitely has experience coaching on the biggest stage, regardless of position. At UVA, Cassese will likely get that opportunity, and very possibly win at least one title.
After giving this a bit of thought, my initial reaction was probably more similar to x, but I think I’m starting to be more along the thought process of gymman.

Another angle is that he was going to have a pretty big rebuild ahead of him with Sissleberger gone and nearly all of his big name seniors transferring out for their grad year. Probably at least a couple years of mediocrity in the PL before getting back into the upper tier of the conference. If Danowski retires in a couple years and it’s between Chemotti and a Lehigh HC Cassese, would they rather have a coach who is probably coming off a couple conference titles or at least title game appearances in Chemotti, or a coach coming off a string of .500 seasons in Cassese

Still super weird tho, and almost going “all in” on either the Duke job when it open up if that’s where his thought process lies
Last edited by DebitLaxPlayable on Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 1766 »

The person who just had Cassese's job took a head job at Dartmouth. I'd say that is at best parallel with Lehigh if not a step below.

You don't make this move unless there is something else going on. A HC gig at a PL school trump's an assistant at any other school.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:57 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:42 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:31 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:24 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:06 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:00 pm I think it is even more clear now that Cassese is hungry to be the next coach at Duke.
Cassesse headed to Duke as OC?
no, petro to msm as dc.
No, I think his dream is to be the next HEAD COACH at Duke(his alma mater).
or anywhere but lehigh.
LOL-There are MANY DI programs that are a lot less desirable than Lehigh.
he has interviewed for lord knows how many jobs. that is actual evidence of something.

your comment, and many comments on coaches, speak(s) to what you think they're up to or what kind of hot water they're in. with little to no evidence. just an observation.
In this case, nothing I just said regarding Coach Cassese had to do with my thoughts of him being in hot water at Lehigh. I could be wrong. But I would be willing to bet that he was, very possibly, in very fine shape in Bethlehem just now. And there is nothing wrong or abnormal with thinking Duke may well be his dream job. Assuming he does well at UVA, his resume will look that much better.
that's what the or was for.

and you said "it's even more clear". not that it may well be. which is why i commented. and maybe tld as well.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

DebitLaxPlayable wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:08 pm

After giving this a bit of thought, my initial reaction was probably more similar to x, but I think I’m starting to be more along the thought process of gymman.

Another angle is that he was going to have a pretty big rebuild ahead of him with Sissleberger gone and nearly all of his big name seniors transferring out for their grad year. Probably at least a couple years of mediocrity in the PL before getting back into the upper tier of the conference. If Danowski retires in a couple years and it’s between Chemotti and a Lehigh HC Cassese, would they rather have a coach who is probably coming off a couple conference titles or at least title game appearances in Chemotti, or a coach coming off a string of .500 seasons in Cassese

Still super weird tho, and almost going “all in” on either the Duke job when it open up if that’s where his thought process lies
Beautifully-written! He stroke when the iron was currently hot!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Good points -- agree on the rebuilding chore factoring into the equation. Somewhat similar to Lars leaving the gym on a make in 2016. I have a soft spot for gritty old towns in the northeast trying to make a comeback, but Cville is like Paris compared to Bethlehem. Much nicer place to raise a family. On the flip side, Lehigh is just about to build a sweet indoor facility that will eliminate one hurdle with recruits:
https://www.alloy5.com/project/lehigh-u ... eld-house/
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:22 pm

Beautifully-written! He stroke when the iron was currently hot!
There’s more to this.
His in-laws are in Bethlehem, his wife is a Lehigh Alum, and his kids and family are planted in the community.
In fact he’s living in his in-law’s home while his new home is being built.
You don’t start building a custom home knowing that you’re getting ready to look to move.
Something went down and he needed a change of scenery.

Here’s what I think happened- and it’s a combination of a few things.

Sure he probably got a glimpse of what his team would look like next year when they played Army in the Patriot League semis. Sissleberger was not his normal dominant self- only going 16-35 at the x. The offense sputtered and the defense gave up 19 to end the season. Having possession of the ball like Lehigh has had for the last eight years with Gaffney and Siss has been a luxury. Not having the ball will make it difficult to win games.

That said you don’t pack up because one kid graduates.

What I suspect added to his quick departure had to do with losing a number of the outgoing seniors, three in particular to the Transfer Portal.
He counted on these guys to stay another year and finish up as graduate students in the business school. He probably felt as though they would have a chance with these returning seniors back in the lineup. He went all-in and bent over backwards for these three players during their careers and they all chose to use their fifth year elsewhere. You can’t blame them but I’m sure Cassese felt betrayed and/or played by both the players and their parents.

He made a business decision and it backfired on him. He’s probably embarrassed and wants to remove himself from those entangled relationships.

He’ll do just fine in Charlottesville and Lars will help him springboard to a top tier program.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

TopShelf585 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:28 pm He counted on these guys to stay another year and finish up as graduate students in the business school.
Why would he count on that after both Schelling and Kirst elected to use their 5th years elsewhere? Feel like he should have seen the writing on the wall
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

1766 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:10 pm The person who just had Cassese's job took a head job at Dartmouth. I'd say that is at best parallel with Lehigh if not a step below.

You don't make this move unless there is something else going on. A HC gig at a PL school trump's an assistant at any other school.
100% Something is up, my gut tells me AD wanted to try a new look and conversations were had and he took what he could get.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Hard to believe that having a "rebuild" for the next years is reason to bounce....that would speak to his commitment coaching young men and those he recruited. I really find that hard to fathom, and if there is an inkling to that take, that would be a no-go for me if I where the interviewing school.

I really think what you can get done in the Patriot League has a lot to do with his decision.... it's like groundhog day each and every year. A 9-team conference with OOC scheduling challenges, limitations for grad students, smaller school footprints, no big competing football or hoops programs. IT all ran its course...time to move on.

It's likely a culmination of many things...best of luck to him. Although he and Lars are like oil and water...that oughtta make some interesting observations on the sidelines and in coaching meetings :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

There's only one remaining covid bonus season. Cassese has shown that he can recruit & has rebuilt before.
Since 2010 & Navy's demise, he has elevated Lehigh from a PL also ran to the strongest recent program, year to year, if you don't count newcomers Loyola & BU (maybe, TBD). He made Lehigh a solid winning program. As a Navy fan, I'm not sorry to see him depart the PL.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”