Most Painful Loss You Have Witnessed Involving Your Favorite Program?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Most Painful Loss You Have Witnessed Involving Your Favorite Program?

Post by DMac »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:56 pm In my book it's definitely 2009 Cornell vs. Syracuse.
As previously posted,a series of 4 miracle-like events had to happen in the last 27 seconds for Syracuse to tie.
After an errant pass to Keough at GLE (I recall goalie Jake Myers almost jumping with excitement at this point), Cornell had to inbound from the end line in it's defensive zone.
Subsequently, Coach T was much criticized for not call a time out.
Max S starts to clear up the sideline, but rather than continuing, reverses the ball to Matt Moyer (a very reliable AA pole) open on the far sideline. At this point it looked like he had clear sailing or would pass upfield into the attack zone. Less than 20 seconds left. I believe it was Keough engages him and somehow strips the ball which winds up unsettled at midield; a Syracuse player reaches the ball and makes a blind behind the back pass while being checked. The ball winds up with Matt Abbott who has Siebold and one other Cornell player draped over him; Abbott flings the ball blind, over his head; the ball goes about an inch over the top of Roy Lang's stick head and is caught be Kenny Nims. Nothing line 20/20 hindsight, but Nims' catch occurs directly in front of Myers in the crease. In retrospect, all Myers had to do is check/make contact/foul Nims as he would not have been able to catch and shoot simultaneously with... practically no time left. A Cornell penalty would have been moot.
I was sitting in the row behind Coach T's wife. She was in tears. Everyone was stunned.
I recall Siebold being interviewed after the game and saying that he would remember the end every day for the rest of his life.
I was sitting on the 45 yard line. Almost 15 years later, I still can't believe the freak series of "things" that happened in the last 27 seconds. I've since become an "outcome denier" on this one. I choose to believe that Cornell won the game.
I think this one wins the most painful. Even as a Cuse fan you felt a little sorry for the Big Red and their fans as there was just nfw this game was going to end with Cuse on top. It was Nims who first engaged Moyer. His first attempt to get the ball out of Moyer's stick was unsuccessful, then as Moyer was running away from him Nims is able to get a chop check (lefty...first check was righty) on his stick and got the ball to the ground. A Cuse player doesn't come up with the ball there though, a Cornell player does. Enter Joel White. Joel comes over the Cornell players head with his stick and is able to get enough of the Cornell player's stick to get the ball to ground again. This is when Keogh comes up with the GB and gives a btb pass to Abbott, meanwhile Nims is heading back to the goal. Abbott goes as far as he can but gets swarmed by 3 D men which is when he gets the Hail Mary pass off to Nims (he did see him there, it wasn't a completely blind pass). That pass didn't go an inch over Lang's stick, he actually got his stick on it but just the very top of it and the ball bounced off it and floated to the diving Nims who was able to catch it and put it in. The whole play was unbelievable. Cornell wins the FO in OT but Sid Smith's master act of thievery (Cornell player didn't even know Sid got ball out of his stick) gets the ball to the ground again and Cuse gets the ball downfield and then it's game over. Been some crazy endings for sure but I don't think any top this one. Stunning, jaw dropping.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

The events in the last possession in OT leading up to the GWG of the 2009 final were so innocuous, that it's hard to believe SU generated a goal out of it. If memory serves, Cornell was in a zone and Perritt didn't quite handle an exchange pass, but once he picked it up, Cornell's D was a little out of position. He moved the ball once to Hardy in a decent shooting spot who pump-faked and got a low pass off to Jamieson who finished it.

SU's offense shredded Duke in the semis and did well in the quarters vs. Maryland, so it was surprising that Cornell's defense held them so well.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:34 am The events in the last possession in OT leading up to the GWG of the 2009 final were so innocuous, that it's hard to believe SU generated a goal out of it. If memory serves, Cornell was in a zone and Perritt didn't quite handle an exchange pass, but once he picked it up, Cornell's D was a little out of position. He moved the ball once to Hardy in a decent shooting spot who pump-faked and got a low pass off to Jamieson who finished it.

SU's offense shredded Duke in the semis and did well in the quarters vs. Maryland, so it was surprising that Cornell's defense held them so well.
SU also beat the Big Red 15-10 earlier in the year. Foolishly I had thought the championship game wouldn't be that close. SU may have overlooked the Big Red a bit.

Don't forget Sid Smith stripping the Cornell attackman right after the Big Red won the opening face-off of overtime. Amazing how many things needed to go just right for the Orange to win that game.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

tech37 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:17 am
Bigdawg69 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:33 am
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:39 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:27 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:12 pm
Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:11 pm 2014 Albany against Notre dame in the quarterfinals. Last game of the Thompson trio vs Matt Kavanagh and the Irish. 2014 Albany is my favorite team of all time. From going down big early to storming all the way back then ending in OT with a Kavanagh dagger. Brought me back in just to rip my heart out
Good call Bigdawg
They were up by 5, looked like Thompsons were going to run away with it.
Hard to come down to hard on Marr because the teams surrounding the Thompsons wasn't exactly Maryland 2022 or Cuse 2004 but the lack of of tourney success Albany had in the 5 years the Thompsons were on campus (1 with Ty and Myles, 3 with all 3 and then 1 with just Lyle) is criminal. I think they won what 1 tourney game? That's like Mike Powell making it to one final four in 4 years at SU.
Absolutely. Even including they had Blaze riordan in goal. An elite goalie plus the Thompson and couldn’t get to memorial weekend? That’s on marr
If I remember correctly, after Danes went up 5 in fourth, they couldn't win a face off. Their fogo was spent.

First game was a dud when Bryant was a no show vs Terps after upsetting SU in first round :?

Otherwise a nice day at Hofstra.
The Bryant let down that game was the most predictable thing ever. I wish they had college lax betting then I would have bet the house on Maryland winning that game going away. Maryland was the exact team to match up with that Bryant squad. Game was over in the 1st quarter.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:10 am
tech37 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:17 am
Bigdawg69 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:33 am
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:39 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:27 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:12 pm
Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:11 pm 2014 Albany against Notre dame in the quarterfinals. Last game of the Thompson trio vs Matt Kavanagh and the Irish. 2014 Albany is my favorite team of all time. From going down big early to storming all the way back then ending in OT with a Kavanagh dagger. Brought me back in just to rip my heart out
Good call Bigdawg
They were up by 5, looked like Thompsons were going to run away with it.
Hard to come down to hard on Marr because the teams surrounding the Thompsons wasn't exactly Maryland 2022 or Cuse 2004 but the lack of of tourney success Albany had in the 5 years the Thompsons were on campus (1 with Ty and Myles, 3 with all 3 and then 1 with just Lyle) is criminal. I think they won what 1 tourney game? That's like Mike Powell making it to one final four in 4 years at SU.
Absolutely. Even including they had Blaze riordan in goal. An elite goalie plus the Thompson and couldn’t get to memorial weekend? That’s on marr
If I remember correctly, after Danes went up 5 in fourth, they couldn't win a face off. Their fogo was spent.

First game was a dud when Bryant was a no show vs Terps after upsetting SU in first round :?

Otherwise a nice day at Hofstra.
The Bryant let down that game was the most predictable thing ever. I wish they had college lax betting then I would have bet the house on Maryland winning that game going away. Maryland was the exact team to match up with that Bryant squad. Game was over in the 1st quarter.
Didn’t the MD FOGO have a torn rotator cuff or similar degree of injury and boat raced Mazza in that game?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:56 pm In my book it's definitely 2009 Cornell vs. Syracuse.
As previously posted,a series of 4 miracle-like events had to happen in the last 27 seconds for Syracuse to tie.
After an errant pass to Keough at GLE (I recall goalie Jake Myers almost jumping with excitement at this point), Cornell had to inbound from the end line in it's defensive zone.
Max S starts to clear up the sideline, but rather than continuing, reverses the ball to Matt Moyer (a very reliable AA pole) open on the far sideline. At this point it looked like he had clear sailing or would pass upfield into the attack zone. Less than 20 seconds left. I believe it was Keough engages him and somehow strips the ball which winds up unsettled at midield; a Syracuse player reaches the ball and makes a blind behind the back pass while being checked. The ball winds up with Matt Abbott who has Siebold and one other Cornell player draped over him; Abbott flings the ball blind, over his head; the ball goes about an inch over the top of Roy Lang's stick head and is caught be Kenny Nims. Nothing line 20/20 hindsight, but Nims' catch occurs directly in front of Myers in the crease. In retrospect, all Myers had to do is check/make contact/foul Nims as he would not have been able to catch and shoot simultaneously with... practically no time left. A Cornell penalty would have been moot.
I was sitting in the row behind Coach T's wife. She was in tears. Everyone was stunned.
I recall Siebold being interviewed after the game and saying that he would remember the end every day for the rest of his life.
I was sitting on the 45 yard line. Almost 15 years later, I still can't believe the freak series of "things" that happened in the last 27 seconds. I've since become an "outcome denier" on this one. I choose to believe that Cornell won the game.
This thread is painful, still too soon...
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

1984 Syracuse vs JHop = Tim Nelson injured early in the game. The Kotz-Nelson duo was one of the most powerful combos in lax history. Had that injury not taken place, Cuse would have won that championship game.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:53 am 1984 Syracuse vs JHop = Tim Nelson injured early in the game. The Kotz-Nelson duo was one of the most powerful combos in lax history. Had that injury not taken place, Cuse would have won that championship game.
"...Cuse would have won...". Oh please :roll:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:01 am
Brooklyn wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:53 am 1984 Syracuse vs JHop = Tim Nelson injured early in the game. The Kotz-Nelson duo was one of the most powerful combos in lax history. Had that injury not taken place, Cuse would have won that championship game.

final score = 13-10

Perhaps you do not recall how close the game was. But once Nelson was gone JHop's D was largely able to bottle up the attack. Or mebbe you're still p!ssed off over Cuse's Championship win in the previous year (?).
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

CU88a wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:51 am
This thread is painful, still too soon...
Watched that game live and I can still see Max jogging to get the ball for the restart...he was gassed. I'm sure Coach T didn't want to call a TO and allow Cuse to setup some type of 10 man... Hard to disagree, but a TO would've allowed Cornell to talk about "cheaping" the ball if they got in trouble...
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:02 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:00 pm Hopkins losing the 1989 title game to Cuse. A classic. The laspaa aa few minutes were wrenching
No pressure. But what does "laspaa aa" stand for?
My stuff usually contains at least one typo. Lax Fi made a career out of editing my posts early in the AM or correcting me in another post. In this case should read “the last few”
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:18 am

final score = 13-10

Perhaps you do not recall how close the game was. But once Nelson was gone JHop's D was largely able to bottle up the attack. Or maybe you're still p!ssed off over Cuse's Championship win in the previous year (?).
I thought it could have been a closer outcome with Tim in the game, but Hopkins got off to a 5-0 start — Wood made that team different from the ‘83 team — and then of course Quinn was unreal.

Weird thing, Nelson got taken out by his own man.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:55 am

I thought it could have been a closer outcome with Tim in the game, but Hopkins got off to a 5-0 start — Wood made that team different from the ‘83 team — and then of course Quinn was unreal.

Strong comeback and finish were the hallmarks of the teams under Simmy. They used the intervals between periods to adjust their game plans very effectively. After all these years, I'm still convinced they could have won that game. But, alas, it wasn't to be ...

tech37

Post by tech37 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:55 am
Brooklyn wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:18 am

final score = 13-10

Perhaps you do not recall how close the game was. But once Nelson was gone JHop's D was largely able to bottle up the attack. Or maybe you're still p!ssed off over Cuse's Championship win in the previous year (?).

Weirder still... his own brother :(
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:51 am
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:02 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:00 pm Hopkins losing the 1989 title game to Cuse. A classic. The laspaa aa few minutes were wrenching
No pressure. But what does "laspaa aa" stand for?
My stuff usually contains at least one typo. Lax Fi made a career out of editing my posts early in the AM or correcting me in another post. In this case should read “the last few”
My brother!

I was going to go with Lhasa Apso, on the brain as I’ve got a 17tr old one who’s still holding up strong.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Oh this one is so easy for me.

2015, watch the Terps live in Philly make the Championship game, which was unexpected. They lose pretty convincingly to Denver, but that wasn't a surprise.

Next year, the final round is back in Philly again. Terps have a loaded squad, and look really poised to win the NCAA tournament for the first time in 40 years or so. It's been so close, so many times, and this team looks good. Maryland faces Brown in the semis...who gave them a really tough go of it, but Maryland pulls through. It's UNC in the Championship game.

Terps lose in overtime. Was there live to watch it. Really stung because this was a great team. Terps end up winning and throwing that monkey off their back the next year, but I honestly think that 2016 team was more talented than the 2017 team. Just ran into the UNC and Cloutier buzz saw.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Bernlohr with The Save,
he had the ball too, thought he’d rake it, but there was a mad scrum.
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

1976 Final between Cornell and Maryland. Up at Brown U in Providence. Terps were up 7-2 at one time during the game. I'm digging deep in the memory bank here but I believe Cornell came back to actually take the lead late in the game. Urso ties it with a buzzer beater to send game into OT. Terps actually score first in OT.........BUT then it wasn't a Golden Goal, you played the entire 4 (or 5?) minute overtime. Cornell comes back and, again I believe, win by two....

Oh the Humanity!!!
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Can you really top 2009 Cornell? I'm not a fan of either team and I get anxiety watching the highlights...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

NNELax wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:37 pm Can you really top 2009 Cornell? I'm not a fan of either team and I get anxiety watching the highlights...
Its like watching a train crash in slow motion.
Painful !

‘Course,
from just a fan standpoint,
here we are talking about that game all these years later.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”