Dartmouth 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
smoova

Re: Dartmouth 2024

Post by smoova »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:37 pm
nelaxman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:50 am Jon Thompson would be a great hire for Dartmouth. He was IVY player and knows how to recruit high end academic kids and land them. He did a great job at Amherst and was about to control the NESCAC for years to come before their President went bonkers. He would be unbelievable hire!
No disrespect to Jon Thompson, but going the D3 route would be a mistake Dartmouth is likely to avoid. Since Mike Pressler left D3 OWU to take the Duke job, there have been very few D1 head coaches plucked from D3 HC positions. Prior to Lars, Brown hired a guy from Nazareth who was a complete disaster. More recently, Brown hired Mike Daly after he did an amazingly good job at Tufts (turned a nothing program into repeat national champions); after a good 2022, Brown failed to make the Ivy tourney in 2023.

Dartmouth is not the best HC job in D1, but I'd say being Head Coach at any Ivy is pretty darn attractive for most potential candidates.
Thompson is currently the OC at Air Force ...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

BigTom5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:52 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:39 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:23 am
BigTom5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:52 am There wasn’t a lot of interest when this job opened up 9 years ago. What has changed since then that would allow them to land a bigger name?
Who’s a big name? What’s more important is finding a good coach.
I didn’t say choose a big name over a good coach, did I? Usually good coaches have good track records, get good publicity, and therefore are bigger names than more obscure hires. For example, Wellner is a bigger name than Callahan, also one would argue he’s a better coach. Other bigger name coaches I’d be going after would be Kirwan, Mitchell, and Bernhardt.
Not sure those are “big names”….I know two of them personally, BTW. All three would be good candidates. What about Jon Thompson?
I didn’t say big names, I said bigger names, as in a bigger name than Callahan was when he got hired. Callahan had 7 years of coaching experience, all at Lehigh. Two NCAA tournament appearances, no wins. The four guys I mentioned are bigger more accomplished names than that.
I did say those were good candidates….Pat March would be another.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

smoova wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:03 pm
nelaxman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:50 am Jon Thompson would be a great hire for Dartmouth. He was IVY player and knows how to recruit high end academic kids and land them. He did a great job at Amherst and was about to control the NESCAC for years to come before their President went bonkers. He would be unbelievable hire!
No disrespect to Jon Thompson, but going the D3 route would be a mistake Dartmouth is likely to avoid. Since Mike Pressler left D3 OWU to take the Duke job, there have been very few D1 head coaches plucked from D3 HC positions. Prior to Lars, Brown hired a guy from Nazareth who was a complete disaster. More recently, Brown hired Mike Daly after he did an amazingly good job at Tufts (turned a nothing program into repeat national champions); after a good 2022, Brown failed to make the Ivy tourney in 2023.

Dartmouth is not the best HC job in D1, but I'd say being Head Coach at any Ivy is pretty darn attractive for most potential candidates.
Many a D3 coach went the assistant D1 before ascending. Wasn’t Mike Murphy a D3 coach?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:13 pm
smoova wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:03 pm

Many a D3 coach went the assistant D1 before ascending. Wasn’t Mike Murphy a D3 coach?
Bill Tierney was head coach at D3 RIT, then assistant lax coach and head soccer coach at Johns Hopkins, before taking the Princeton job. Okay, Thompson might deserve a shot at D1 head coaching.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:13 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:52 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:39 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:23 am
BigTom5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:52 am There wasn’t a lot of interest when this job opened up 9 years ago. What has changed since then that would allow them to land a bigger name?
Who’s a big name? What’s more important is finding a good coach.
I didn’t say choose a big name over a good coach, did I? Usually good coaches have good track records, get good publicity, and therefore are bigger names than more obscure hires. For example, Wellner is a bigger name than Callahan, also one would argue he’s a better coach. Other bigger name coaches I’d be going after would be Kirwan, Mitchell, and Bernhardt.
Not sure those are “big names”….I know two of them personally, BTW. All three would be good candidates. What about Jon Thompson?
I didn’t say big names, I said bigger names, as in a bigger name than Callahan was when he got hired. Callahan had 7 years of coaching experience, all at Lehigh. Two NCAA tournament appearances, no wins. The four guys I mentioned are bigger more accomplished names than that.
I did say those were good candidates….Pat March would be another.
Is March a better AC than Morrissey was? I’m a big fan of the latter but he struggled at HC.0
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Could see Ryan Wellner getting it
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Sean Kirwan would be the best possible choice…outstanding player at Tufts….coached at the academically-inclined Tufts and Brown….coached with the PLL Canons….was the mastermind behind Brown’s Final Four appearance and UVA’s 2 championships and Final Four appearances …..is familiar with Ivy recruiting and pecking-order….brings experience from the highest echelon of college lacrosse…players like him and listen to him…D is bringing back talent and he could best coach them up to success….Ryan Welner wanted the Brown job and will want this one - good guy and coach ….Kirwan may jump-start the
program better….
Bystanders

Post by Bystanders »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:46 am
Bystanders wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:13 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:49 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:41 am Ummmm... what?!?!

Anyone see this coming? Bueller? Bueller?
Not one bit. If it’s the school then best guess is he took the intensity too far and they felt like “heck if best were getting is one Ivy win for all this then it’s too much for our tastes” or if Callahan was the one who chose to leave then he could believe he’s hit a limit. Sort of a Peter principle decision from one side or the other though incoming that axiom would imply the school chose more likely.
Are we really debating which side made the call? Dude had 2 league wins in 9 years and loaded up this year on OOC cupcakes to try and save his position. 3 of his 8 incoming recruits this year are showing up elsewhere. Hard to hate private school kids when you’re recruiting for lacrosse. Didn’t really work for him.
Where did you get that nonsense?
Not nonsense. He had a serious bias against NE West. Which is not the greatest call given Dartmouth’s League and location. Preferred blue collar and mostly public school kids. He lost a NE West Fogo to the fraternity bar room in 2014, and never looked back. He was outspoken to the team about it. Hard to recruit elite squash, crew, sailing and lacrosse when you’re anti-prep school.
Typical Lax Dad

Bystanders wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:44 pm

Not one bit. If it’s the school then best guess is he took the intensity too far and they felt like “heck if best were getting is one Ivy win for all this then it’s too much for our tastes” or if Callahan was the one who chose to leave then he could believe he’s hit a limit. Sort of a Peter principle decision from one side or the other though incoming that axiom would imply the school chose more likely.
Are we really debating which side made the call? Dude had 2 league wins in 9 years and loaded up this year on OOC cupcakes to try and save his position. 3 of his 8 incoming recruits this year are showing up elsewhere. Hard to hate private school kids when you’re recruiting for lacrosse. Didn’t really work for him.
Not nonsense. He had a serious bias against NE West. Which is not the greatest call given Dartmouth’s League and location. Preferred blue collar and mostly public school kids. He lost a NE West Fogo to the fraternity bar room in 2014, and never looked back. He was outspoken to the team about it. Hard to recruit elite squash, crew, sailing and lacrosse when you’re anti-prep school.
https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/mens ... oster/2012

https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/mens ... oster/2006

:lol: :lol: where did Johnny end up playing?
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

But the roster has tons of private school guys (including Belmont Hill, Lawrenceville, Landon, Georgetown Prep, Boys Latin, Malvern Prep, Haverford, Salisbury, Deerfield, Holderness, Westminster, Brunswick, Lovett, Culver). Not limited to NE but clearly there’s not an anti private school bias. Maybe that’s the past perception that has not kept up with the present state of affairs.
Bystanders

Post by Bystanders »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:39 pm

But the roster has tons of private school guys (including Belmont Hill, Lawrenceville, Landon, Georgetown Prep, Boys Latin, Malvern Prep, Haverford, Salisbury, Deerfield, Holderness, Westminster, Brunswick, Lovett, Culver). Not limited to NE but clearly there’s not an anti private school bias. Maybe that’s the past perception that has not kept up with the present state of affairs.
He changed his ways too late to save himself. Look at 2016, 2017, 2018, rosters. In particular he hated the most consistent school on your list - the alma mater of said freshman Fogo.
Typical Lax Dad

Bystanders wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:02 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:39 pm

He changed his ways too late to save himself. Look at 2016, 2017, 2018, rosters. In particular he hated the most consistent school on your list - the alma mater of said freshman Fogo.
How many kids do you think he committed that were on the 2016, 2017 & 2018 roster? Where did Johnny commit?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:41 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:31 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:26 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:05 pm Doing a little research, two names pop up. Lenoir Rhyne’s head coach just won the D2 natty and his son plays at Dartmouth. Mercer head coach is an alum and they seemed to have made some strides as a program this year. He has only been there less than a year but could be an interesting hire.
Coach Paradine is an interesting option. Strong ties to UNC program (First Team AA in 1993, won national championship in 1991, 7 years an assistant coach). One would think that he would be among the top candidates if the UNC job opened up.

He built the Lenoir Rhyne program from scratch according to his online bio. Has done pretty much everything one can do in Division II lacrosse, including multiple coach of the year awards.

His resume only lacks a Division I HC stint. Plus his son has three more seasons at Dartmouth, as mentioned above.

Probably an excellent candidate, although he will probably “dart” for North Carolina as soon as that position opens up.

DocBarrister
Maybe he turns Dartmouth around and is ready when Breschi’s newly extended contract runs out.
That was my thinking … coach his son for three seasons, turning the Dartmouth program around, and then head for UNC.

If Breschi achieves success in the next few years, Coach Paradine might stick around Dartmouth for a while.

I think it’s worth a gamble by Dartmouth. Paradine’s players have even won some academic awards.

He’s not a young coach, but few have a better record of success as both a coach and player.

https://lrbears.com/sports/mens-lacross ... radine/758

DocBarrister
Did any of you genius’s ever consider that maybe he takes the Queens job and his son transfers to Queens??
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

River Donkey wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:50 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:41 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:31 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:26 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:05 pm Doing a little research, two names pop up. Lenoir Rhyne’s head coach just won the D2 natty and his son plays at Dartmouth. Mercer head coach is an alum and they seemed to have made some strides as a program this year. He has only been there less than a year but could be an interesting hire.
Coach Paradine is an interesting option. Strong ties to UNC program (First Team AA in 1993, won national championship in 1991, 7 years an assistant coach). One would think that he would be among the top candidates if the UNC job opened up.

He built the Lenoir Rhyne program from scratch according to his online bio. Has done pretty much everything one can do in Division II lacrosse, including multiple coach of the year awards.

His resume only lacks a Division I HC stint. Plus his son has three more seasons at Dartmouth, as mentioned above.

Probably an excellent candidate, although he will probably “dart” for North Carolina as soon as that position opens up.

DocBarrister
Maybe he turns Dartmouth around and is ready when Breschi’s newly extended contract runs out.
That was my thinking … coach his son for three seasons, turning the Dartmouth program around, and then head for UNC.

If Breschi achieves success in the next few years, Coach Paradine might stick around Dartmouth for a while.

I think it’s worth a gamble by Dartmouth. Paradine’s players have even won some academic awards.

He’s not a young coach, but few have a better record of success as both a coach and player.

https://lrbears.com/sports/mens-lacross ... radine/758

DocBarrister
Did any of you genius’s ever consider that maybe he takes the Queens job and his son transfers to Queens??
Well it wouldn’t be the first father to sell his son out but that would be very very short term oriented.

What the heck do people think adults work for if not their kids?

What you suggest is far from genius.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

It did seem that the recruiting bumped up a notch when J. Conner arrived on the scene. I hope he also finds a good landing spot.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

You said private; 3/4 of the roster are from private schools. Callahan himself is a private school alum.

If you meant boarding "prep" schools, there's Lawrenceville, Brunswick, Salisbury, Deerfield, Hill, IMG

It's flat nonsense.
And it's been consistent.

Here's 2018 roster...bunch of Brunswick, Choate, blah blah blah "prep"...https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/mens ... oster/2018

Very similar makeup to any Ivy, ACC, or Big 10.

What would be true is that in the prior coaching regime, roughly 2013, an assistant coach walking a player from Gilman across campus, dad was an AA defender at UNC, and said "we prefer public school kids, we don't want f-wording p-words"...the dad stopped him and said, "coach, you must be confused, I went to a public school on Long Island, my son goes to Gilman"...

Any coach who prefers one over the other is an idiot.

Sound like you have a personal beef. NE West... :roll:
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:56 am

You said private; 3/4 of the roster are from private schools. Callahan himself is a private school alum.

If you meant boarding "prep" schools, there's Lawrenceville, Brunswick, Salisbury, Deerfield, Hill, IMG

It's flat nonsense.

Here's 2018 roster...bunch of Brunswick, Choate, blah blah blah "prep"...

What would be true is that in the prior coaching regime, roughly 2013, an assistant coach walking a player from Gilman across campus, dad was an AA defender at UNC, and said "we prefer public school kids, we don't want f-wording p-words"...the dad stopped him and said, "coach, you must be confused, I went to a public school on Long Island, my son goes to Gilman"...

Dartmouth hired the idiot.......in the first place. Clearly, the athletic department didn't "train" him.

What success did Dartmouth have, in lacrosse, when you were there :lol:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:17 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:56 am

It's flat nonsense.

Here's 2018 roster...bunch of Brunswick, Choate, blah blah blah "prep"...

Dartmouth hired the idiot.......in the first place. Clearly, the athletic department didn't "train" him.

What success did Dartmouth have, in lacrosse, when you were there :lol:
Top 10 and top 20...which was "relative success"....relative to years outside of top 30...

What success did you ever have, hater?

And it's a BS claim, Callahan never had any issue with prep or "private" school kids, recruited many...facts matter.

But there were some posters on here who pretty evidently had their noses out of joint because their preferred "Johnny" wasn't chosen. Who knows why, but it wasn't because they went to a "prep" school in NE West. Now one is back.

Plenty to critique honestly, but that one was just BS.

As to the "idiot", he was hired by the former HC who was let go 2 years later.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Let's see how soon Dartmouth announces a new Head Coach. My guess is that it happens pretty soon, in June.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

You.....can be interested in dissecting one persons comment about private HS, choices, of the now gone coach. He is gone. Reasons do not matter, going forward. Do they ?

bottomline, Dartmouth doesn't get top shelf players, for some reason.

You know it all, explain away. WHY ?

But, there is Kent.....Founders league....and then there is Taft....founders league. both, sleep overs. Same lax players?

having lots of private school players means they can pay full boat, most likely. That is all.

Instead of hitting these boards, why don't you take your vast lacrosse ties, and triumphs, and SELL Dartmouth. Clearly, your magic worked on that MIAA to Hanover pipeline of stud players.

appears we have the same influence, regarding Dartmouths lacrosse prowess. :lol:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”