THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by DMac »

swf wrote
The people who really love men’s collegiate lacrosse either;
1) Love the Jays or
2) Love to hate the Jays.
Men’s college lacrosse is Johns Hopkins.
Just letting you know that when you start out with a load of BS, swf, it's pretty hard to believe anything else you write. Might want to consider that in the fututre.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

DMac wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:03 pm
swf wrote
1) Love the Jays or
Men’s college lacrosse is Johns Hopkins.
Just letting you know that when you start out with a load of BS, swf, it's pretty hard to believe anything else you write. Might want to consider that in the fututre.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

swf wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:47 pm
by Jaysjay88 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:50 pm

So now I debate a different question. Does last night prove Petro still has it in him to coach Jays' teams to their potential and should stay, or does it confirm that he hasn't been, can't do it consistently, and therefore must go? I think I come down on the side of going, but anyone change their mind after last night?
1) Love the Jays or

But nobody wants anything bad to happen to the program. Men’s college lacrosse is Johns Hopkins. Petro’s strategy; his wins and losses; his recruiting are all fodder for the loyal cognoscenti but irrelevant to the big picture. For years we’ve been dreading a Woody Hayes or Chris Bates moment during a game or an incident at a practice. At heart the guy’s a bully and my hunch is that the upper-class men are right back in his profane face. But is this what we want for our players?

Anger and Oedipal aggression bubble just below the surface. Watch his face on the video close ups and his mincing gait on the sidelines for those at the stadium. Hopkins student athletes are very intelligent men. Some describe a similar personality in their Psych class and discuss the diagnosis with their teammates.

The question for the Hopkins lacrosse community and administration is why is this psychotic behavior tolerated? It wouldn’t be tolerated from any other professor, lecturer, administrator, security guard or groundskeeper. Imagine checking into the Medical Center and watching your 400lb surgeon scream, curse and threaten one of the nurses.
I have seen that face, body language, and heard the language - Petro has had more cameras on him then any other coach in lax history. He is the same as the rest of them..maybe closer to the surface then most. A lot of players would describe their coach's as behavior as being "psychotic", occasionally.

You don't like that style, don't play for that coach.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Epstein wins Big Ten freshman of the year and a spot on 1st Team All Big Ten.

Foley and Williams made 2nd team. There is no 3rd team.

Keep it rolling on Thursday, fellas.

https://bigten.org/news/2019/4/30/big-t ... onors.aspx
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

viper wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:46 am My one question, and I realize it's a bit late to even do anything about it, is about Darby. His numbers as you quote them, don't bear out those of a successful starting goalie in D1. In most situations those numbers would result in backup status. Having said that, is there nobody else on the roster who can better those numbers? Giacalone came in with great acclaim and yet he sits on the sidelines behind a GK with lower than 50% save percentage. Last week's game statistics (15% save pct) for Darby usually result in time on the sideline for most other teams.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:09 am But the mediocre goaltending on this team has become an extremely concerning trend. I'm not sure exactly what LQ does but whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be working very well. Statistics-wise we are well past the point of considering a change but after the Logan-Turnbaugh flip-flopping I wonder if Petro is now worried about doing the whole revolving door thing.
Hope to be succinct here:
- Don't remember Giacalone came in with "great acclaim" - recollection is he was relatively new to the goalie position - demonstrated some success out on the Island (Sachem?) but most of the descriptives began and ended with "talented but raw" He also left the team last year - rumored to have left for good and then came back - who knows what was behind that
- It will be interesting to see what happens next year with or without a regime change - Gainey or Marcille would seem to have a better shot at unseating Darby
- HF16's point is well taken - the Logan Turnbaugh dumpster fire may have spooked Petro the other way
- The main culprit IMO is early recruiting once again - getting a high quality goaltender is hard enough without trying to rely on a child that maybe has not even played a varsity high school game
- Would still love to hear some thinking about current goal-tending theory - I am sure it is because I watch Darby way more than anyone else but to this uneducated observer he has virtually zero chance of getting to any shot off his left side with locking the right leg as he attempts the save
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

swf

Single White Female?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:00 pm swf

Single White Female?
Surreptitious Warbling Ferret?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:19 pm Epstein wins Big Ten freshman of the year and a spot on 1st Team All Big Ten.

Foley and Williams made 2nd team. There is no 3rd team.

Keep it rolling on Thursday, fellas.

https://bigten.org/news/2019/4/30/big-t ... onors.aspx
Wow. I think most of us expected Epstein to win Big Ten Freshman of the Year (unanimous selection, no less), but also First Team Big Ten? :shock: :o

Congratulations to Epstein, Foley (B1G 2nd Team), and Williams (2nd team & Sportsmanship award). :)

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:46 pm
viper wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:46 am My one question, and I realize it's a bit late to even do anything about it, is about Darby. His numbers as you quote them, don't bear out those of a successful starting goalie in D1. In most situations those numbers would result in backup status. Having said that, is there nobody else on the roster who can better those numbers? Giacalone came in with great acclaim and yet he sits on the sidelines behind a GK with lower than 50% save percentage. Last week's game statistics (15% save pct) for Darby usually result in time on the sideline for most other teams.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:09 am But the mediocre goaltending on this team has become an extremely concerning trend. I'm not sure exactly what LQ does but whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be working very well. Statistics-wise we are well past the point of considering a change but after the Logan-Turnbaugh flip-flopping I wonder if Petro is now worried about doing the whole revolving door thing.
Hope to be succinct here:
- Don't remember Giacalone came in with "great acclaim" - recollection is he was relatively new to the goalie position - demonstrated some success out on the Island (Sachem?) but most of the descriptives began and ended with "talented but raw" He also left the team last year - rumored to have left for good and then came back - who knows what was behind that
- It will be interesting to see what happens next year with or without a regime change - Gainey or Marcille would seem to have a better shot at unseating Darby
- HF16's point is well taken - the Logan Turnbaugh dumpster fire may have spooked Petro the other way
- The main culprit IMO is early recruiting once again - getting a high quality goaltender is hard enough without trying to rely on a child that maybe has not even played a varsity high school game
- Would still love to hear some thinking about current goal-tending theory - I am sure it is because I watch Darby way more than anyone else but to this uneducated observer he has virtually zero chance of getting to any shot off his left side with locking the right leg as he attempts the save

Tough situation considering Giacalone has played like 8 mins this entire season and Gainey hasn’t played at all. I thought Gainey looked solid in the fall. He was a 5 year varsity player on a very competitive team that went to the Geico Tourney twice. I guess Petro just wants to stand by his guy which is fair and respectable considering how mental the position can be
viper

Post by viper »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:00 pm swf

Single White Female?
You "looking" Wombat??????? :shock: :shock:
CrossCrease

Post by CrossCrease »

We have 2 All B!G selections on offense, yet one of them does not play EMO...?

Lacrosse axiom: true or false?

If your starting 3 attack don’t play EMO, then you’re not playing your top 6 on EMO or you’re not playing your top 3 at attack.........I’m sure it’s not the latter.......this is as bizarre as the SSDM decisions and #29 not playing enough offense IMO
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

In some ways I don't like these kinds of discussions because it forces you to pick a side and it looks like you're taking a shot at someone but I have often wondered why Williams is not on EMO. He would be a big target in the middle and I unfortunately don't see the specific EMO talent that Shilling brings to the table. 3 goals 0 assists 7 shots is not going to make anyone forget Brandon Benn or Patrick Fraser.

Conjecture suggests to me that this is a by-product of the 48-52 roster size. Try to engage as many players as you can. Again, not sure why Williams is the odd man out - especially this year with DeSimone struggling so significantly. I guess you can argue that - assuming Shilling is right handed - he balances out the field better than another lefty.

On the other hand, also wondered sometimes why Shilling hasn't been given the try-out at middie - every other attackman has - why not him?
GSP

Post by GSP »

I hope everyone will have the decency and class to either get up to Piscataway tomorrow night or at least watch it on TV, out of respect to watch the last game of Coach Pietramala's career at Johns Hopkins! No one can deny that he is the best coach that the Jays have had over the last 20 years.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

GSP wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:55 pm I hope everyone will have the decency and class to either get up to Piscataway tomorrow night or at least watch it on TV, out of respect to watch the last game of Coach Pietramala's career at Johns Hopkins! No one can deny that he is the best coach that the Jays have had over the last 20 years.
Have to admit ... this is an absolutely artful & elegant put down quasi-disguised as praise. Suggests someone intelligent enough to make the Johns Hopkins wait list.

DocBarrister (impressed) 8-)
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

As far as trolling goes, I will give that a D-.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Dream on, Doc! Am a Grad of The Wharton School. Harvard and The Booth School were MY safeties!

In point of fact, my first awareness of Hopkins' existence was that it had traditionally functioned as merely a weekend diversionary destination for upper class men for picking up chicks who were sufficiently grateful for an opportunity to take a humongous step up the intellectual ladder. Despite our reputation for cerebral arrogance, during my entire experience there, I never once became aware of any instance of discourtesy towards your coeds as long as they paid promptly for the experience.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... look/54420

win or go (to) home(wood).

there's no case for an at large if we lose.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

GSP wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:44 am Dream on, Doc! Am a Grad of The Wharton School. Harvard and The Booth School were MY safeties!

In point of fact, my first awareness of Hopkins' existence was that it had traditionally functioned as merely a weekend diversionary destination for upper class men for picking up chicks who were sufficiently grateful for an opportunity to take a humongous step up the intellectual ladder. Despite our reputation for cerebral arrogance, during my entire experience there, I never once became aware of any instance of discourtesy towards your coeds as long as they paid promptly for the experience.

You evidently skipped the comedy classes at Wharton.
GSP

Post by GSP »

That IS but one of the many differences between our two schools.

There ARE no comedy classes at Wharton.

Which does explain a lot, NO?
Last edited by GSP on Thu May 02, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

How do you explain the Joke of a President who graduated from Wharton? :D

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”